Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Sink Or Swim

independent living

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KK*

KK*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-8 ASIA A Complete
  • Injury Date:06-07-2010

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

Well, it's been 19 months since my accident (T8/9 Paraplegic -Complete ) and I am moving out of my parents home to my own apartment this week. My head is swimming with what all I need to get organized. I have almost all the healthcare staffing arranged, Home Health Care and then aides in the morning and evening while I adjust to my new surroundings. I am moving along with the process to get evaluated for my driving and then will purchase a vehicle and the modifications will be paid for by LA Rehab Services. I bought a second hand handicap van in the interim and need to set up a driver where I am moving (working on that).
My support group is fairly strong where I am moving because it is where I lived for approx. 10 years when I had my accident. ( I have a hard time asking for help though)
My primary care physician is there so that will actually be easier. My employment is stable and has really been understanding. I make a few meetings a month when I arrange a driver but otherwise conference and video conference calls into meetings has been working out.

What am I missing? Any and all advice is welcome!

KK
  • D. Smith and Aparr like this

#2 Aparr

Aparr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-7
  • Injury Date:21-07-2009

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

It seems to me you have all your ducks in a row!! You'll de well living on your om, wait and see. I think you'll love it. At first it might be fearful but I'm certain you'll settle in quick!!

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-mark twain

#3 D. Smith

D. Smith

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Complete
  • Injury Date:29-04-2010

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

This is awesome to hear!! You have a lot more taken into consideration than when I got back to living on my own. :P
When in Rome, go naked! --xbox360 tag: Ice764
-- You have to crawl before you walk; You have to slide before you depress; You have to love before you live. --

#4 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

hey KK, have you a place to live already? Bathroom accessibility and adaptations caught me out substantially. Getting an occupational therapist on your side will help.

I am 19 months post injury too. I will be returning t work very soon I hope.

Best of luck and I 2nd and 3rd what Aparr and D. Smith said! The future is bright! :)
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#5 Wicky

Wicky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3
  • Injury Date:02-20-1991

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

i forth and fifth everything that was said before me, im very happy for you KK, you will do great

#6 randomryan007

randomryan007

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 incomplete

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

been on my own since my injury. to hell with moving back home. well take that back I've been back home. but for other reasons.you'll do fine. quit stressing so much and breathe. this too when you look back on it will be a walk in the park.

don't sweat it.

for me I never sweat the large stuff. its the small stuff that gets me.

#7 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

Good luck.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#8 dancin' johnny

dancin' johnny

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Completely T10'd

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

You seem to be very well organized. There are a lot of things you can't plan for and the only way to see if you can manage is to allow yourself to try.
I hope once the dust settles you are happy and fully independent in your new home.
How does it feel to feel?

#9 richo

richo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 COMPLETE

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

hi kk,sounds like you are well and truely organised.just hope your bath room is set up prop,with plenty room.........what sort of work do ya do? good luck .richo

#10 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:52 AM

Sink, It's easier . . . . but not as fun.

Seriously though, enjoy your new found freedom!

And remember, a warm home cooked meal is just a short drive away (I'm assuming).

Good luck.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#11 KK*

KK*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-8 ASIA A Complete
  • Injury Date:06-07-2010

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

Thank you all for the encouragement. Brock and Richo thanks for the bathroom reminder, I actually crossed off a couple of places after viewing the bathroom layout. Also, I have arranged for OT services until I am familiarized with the new surroundings. Richo, I am a private consultant for Homeland Security. Been in this occupation for 10+ years and really enjoy my work.
So, still looking for the right set up for my apartment. I am kinda stuck it seems because the ones that have the right set up and fully handicap accessable I have been declined due to the fact I make too much money. Kind of a catch 22 it seems.....

#12 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /Friend of AB Cassie
  • Injury Date:10-07-81

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

KK Luv, it sure seems you have planned as well as anyone can! Stock the Liquor cabinet and Cellebrate! Some emergency phone numbers of people near by in case of the unexpected.? "Stuck in the Bath with No towel in reach" No problem, call me first! :D lol

Your going to be fine!!!

:hug: for the over achiever !!
~Kill them with Kindness~

#13 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Good luck KK! I'm sure you'll be fine and wonder why didn't I do this sooner. Keep the party noise down...I'd hate to see them kick you to the curb on your first night! Enjoy! I'm sure Zack would come keep you company if you'd cook him breakfast that is IF you get lonely.

Stock up on grabbers for each room!

#14 dsconneal

dsconneal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-05-2011

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

KK you will do great. It seems you have it figured out..more than I have been able to do so far. I do live in my own home...but have a chair lift to get up the steps (split level home) and it takes several trips to get me the chair and my stuff up. My youngest, 20 yr old son, is still at home and not much help and my mom comes to help and keep me company (she is too old for this stuff). I am 10 months out (6 months in the hospital) and am going back in for urostomy in March. I found out today that they might send me back to rehab for a week after I get out of the hospital. After that my goal is to drive ASAP.

Good luck...and great to have a job that understands. I was just getting back into the job market when this happened. My husband passed away after 10 years at home with early onset AD, Lewey Body Dementia....and I thought I would get my life back at 50. I need a do over for that.

#15 rjwheelz

rjwheelz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Partial T4
  • Injury Date:01-01-1973

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

Carpe Diem as Greybeard said :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: independent living

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.