#1 happywheels 88

happywheels 88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 incomplete
  • Injury Date:22-07-2011

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Good day all! Right, first time buying shoes since my accident. How do you guys do it, how do you know what's "comfortable" except for going by what you used pre injury? Anyone had problems/complications with ill fitting shoes in the past?

#2 AlaskaOne

AlaskaOne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6-C7 complete
  • Injury Date:29-11-2010

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

God yes. I still haven't found a nice looking pair of shoes, even after buying about 6 pair, all of which would pinch my end of the day swollen feet. I wear opened - toed sandals in warm weather and my husbands hunting "camp' shoes, waterproof bottoms, leather tops, great traction :), in colder weather. All I can hope for is the swelling to go down and stay down, the sooner the better. Good Luck to you.

#3 ebeth

ebeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2 Complete

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

I prefer lace-ups because they can be loosened to put them on and then when the laces are tightened, I know they won't come off. I also prefer shoes with good traction to keep my feet on the footrests. In summer I also like sandles, but not the flimsy kind.

When I need a new pair of shoes, I find something that I like in my size (i.e the size I wore pre-sci), I buy them, take them home and wear them for a full day. At the end of the day I check my feet for any pressure spots. If there are some pressure areas, I know that the shoes don't fit. Then, since I've kept them clean, I can easily return them.

#4 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,757 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

Good day all! Right, first time buying shoes since my accident. How do you guys do it, how do you know what's "comfortable" except for going by what you used pre injury? Anyone had problems/complications with ill fitting shoes in the past?

You will probably have to go up at least one size from what you had before. Take care over choosing them. They'll last a long time.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#5 DxM

DxM

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4 L5 CES

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

Hey Happywheels 88,

I've struggled with shoes no end, mainly because of hypersensitivity issues, but I've finally found some shoes that work great for me as they're effectively soft socks with a full trainer sole. They're easy to get on and off as there's no tounge to mess around with and they can be tightened up or left soft and stretchy on the top if that works best on any given day too. The only problem is they're not cheap, but as they're the only thing I've been able to get on and wear for any length of time since developing CES I'm loving Nike Air Presto trainers big time! http://www.nikeathle...ir-presto-8.jpg . I hope you're able to find something that works well for you and they don't cause you any problems either.

DxM :)

Edited by DxM, 11 March 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#6 happywheels 88

happywheels 88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

Great advise guys, thanks! I like the look of those nike trainers DxM, will certainly go check them out in-store :)

#7 Odysious

Odysious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C2 complete/ injured

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

My biggest problem was my heels breaking down, oh yeah, you won't know good or bad until it's too late. You want a shoe with a flat heel cup, you or your attendant can check just by looking or running you fingers up the inside of the heel. There' a brand called Buffalino's, not bad looking ankle shoe, barely any heel duo, wider than average, about $80. I have short wide feet and they work for me, other than that and trying every brand out there while crûising around the store for an hour to see if they leave any reddend areas (pressure) your going to have to break in anything you get. After about 20 years I went to a shoe maker, 32 hrs. later I still have hem made, expensive, but they last 10 yrs. Good luck, R

#8 andycans

andycans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5/c6 incompete
  • Injury Date:22-10-2007

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

i get 2 sizes bigger because of swelling and no feeling looks funny with big shoes makes me laugh :D

happy wheels 88 like the picture :yikes:
  • qbounce likes this

#9 happywheels 88

happywheels 88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

they're legends those two!

#10 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hi Happywheels 88,

I think it is best to try some on. As already said, if you get swelling it may be best to wear lace up shoes so you can loosen them. The 1st pair of trainers I bought after my injury, whilst in rehab, were 2 sizes bigger. What happened was that I started to get a pressure area on my 5th toe because my shoes were too big. The right one seemed to slip most so that the narrow part of the trainer was squeezing the widest part of my foot.

I then looked for a pair of well fitting, i.e not too tight and not too big, trainers. Well fitting shoes mean there is ample room for the toes that can be secured at the arch but loosened off if you get swelling. Inspect your feet after wearing shoes for red marks to ensure that you don't develop pressure areas.

Broc
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#11 happywheels 88

happywheels 88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

hey broc, dxm actually put me onto nike air prestos, got me a pair and they seem to be doing the trick! thanks for the advise :)
  • brockit79 likes this

#12 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

glad to hear you are sorted! :D
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#13 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,764 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

I've got a pair of these, elastic laces cope with the swelling, very comfortable too.

http://www.cottontra...uk/invt/aq10658
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#14 Esidara

Esidara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:A couple of friends

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hey everyone!

It would probably be worth keeping an eye on the lining of the shoes, too. Canvas shoes and those that are leather lined will breathe better than those with fabric lining (such as the type you frequently find in trainers) which, particularly in warm and/or humid weathers, may help stop your feet over-heating and swelling because they're too hot. Shoes with goretex in them - available at Clarks if you're in the UK - help with this breathability too.

If there is one thing I know, it is feet and shoes! (I work in a shoe shop - I don't have a fetish!)

#15 Colleen1980

Colleen1980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12
  • Injury Date:05-04-2001

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

Hey yall! I know I am late, but I just saw this. I have horrible issues with my heels breaking down. I have had a sore on my heel for well over a year. It seems everytime it is almost healed, I resplit it open. When I do have these "blisters" on my heels, I wear crocs. It sucks to have to wear them all the time because they aren't exactly fashionable, but they stay on my feet and don't put pressure on my heels. I wear the Mary Jane style. When my feet are healthy, I like wearing lace up sneakers, but yes, usually have to get a size bigger because if my feet are swollen, I can't get them on if they are my pre-wheels size. :)

#16 munkypoop

munkypoop

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 incomplete quad
  • Injury Date:10-05-2007

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

So I have seen a lot help. But what about for people like me who are quadriplegics? My caregivers can never tell if my toes are bent or what not in my shoes. And I can't wear sandals because where I live it gets very cold only three months you can get away with sandals. And to reply to this topic before my accident. I wore skate shoes, very comfortable and people I know who were paralyzed and are able to walk now, wear them. Audio are a good example.
Imagine what I do when I need to laugh or feel better. Imagine a purple hippo standing up straight wearing pink clown shoes and juggling lime green Jell-O squares!

#17 Quad65

Quad65

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Quad

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

I've always preferred boots. I wear a western-style boot that zips up the inside. They're easy to get on, provide good support, and make a handy place to tuck my leg-bag into. Been wearing one sort or another of side-zip boots for about 46 years now. Not the same pair, of course. That'd be whack.
-- Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you want to get even real bad.

#18 4tun8

4tun8

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5/6 incomplete
  • Injury Date:15-08-2003

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I sure do love my Lugz. I own a pair a pair of Tempest III sneakers and a pair of 6" high, over-the-ankle, Drifters. Ordered both in a size 10, a full size larger than pre-SCI. I don't mind paying the price for quality and style, as they'll never hit the street and should last me a lifetime. mark
Mark A. Clayberger

#19 MikeFatty

MikeFatty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12 / L-1 complete
  • Injury Date:02-15-2010

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

i wear the same converse high tops i have had since christmas before my accident. which was 3 months. they really help allot with keeping my feet from swelling and the only thing i notice is at the end of the dday my calfes are a bit swollen around the top of my sox =) but i get in bed and go to sleep and when i wake up the selling is just bout 100% gone. on my lazy mornings where i lay in bed till almost noon sometimes. =) my swelling is non existant =) hehe

#20 Ironside

Ironside

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5
  • Injury Date:May 18, 1986

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yes, you have been given some excellent advice which you should definitely follow if you want to avoid ending up with horrible sores on your feet.

I am approaching 26 years in a wheelchair and I've always found it difficult to find suitable footwear. I always had problems with the knuckles on my toes because my toes are not straight. I wore sandals for well over 10 years which were great if you wanted to avoid sore toes, but unfortunately not particularly very practical in the wet and cold weather. I got myself a pair of canvas type trailers last year from JJB sports and I have lived in them ever since, they are absolutely fantastic. They are nice and wide so that you can get your foot in and have space for your toes. I did have one issue with a red mark on one of my toes but I protected that with a piece of sponge and everything is okay now, not sure if that was down to the shoe or not. Even though these are not shoes, they are the sort of footwear you can wear with fairly smart trousers and they look nice.

Posted Image

#21 gazbrid

gazbrid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c - 4/5
  • Injury Date:23-09-1972

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

i wear above ankle boots two sizes bigger for swelling with zips up both sides for easy removal got them from rolli-modem in italian soft black leather

#22 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9 incomplete

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yes you have to get a size bigger and wider. Running shoes are for me are easy to ware. It's only those dress shoes. Man oh man they are so stiff. It does not matter what style, they are not fun to ware. If anybody out there know of a brand that makes swade shoes with a high arch and must be extra wide. I've looked and to no avail, cannot seem to find what I want.
LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!

Regards

Marty

#23 KaterinaWit

KaterinaWit

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 Complete / Friend

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

All of my man's shoes come from Shoe Buy (www.shoebuy.com). They're in the US, but ship to Canada. Even with the duty, the shoes are well priced comparable to anything in Canada. And for a high-arched, extra-wide foot, we've not been able to find anything available in Canada. We've ordered one that might suite your needs, although it's only partially suede. One of the cool things about this particular brand and style, the side tabs are velcro. Although the shoe looks like a lace-up, it's really a slip-on . . . easy to deal with for someone with mobility limitations. One of the other great things about this shoe is that the tounge and sides of the shoe are one piece so there is no seam to rub or pressure the top of your foot. Here's the link to: http://www.shoebuy.c...2/308099/658261
  • WaveWolf likes this

#24 tinamarie

tinamarie

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 incomplete/self

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

Well, I wear an AFO (ankle foot orthotic) on one leg, so my orthotic maker guy told me to buy wide shoes 2 sizes bigger than I was wearing pre-injury to be able to fit the AFO in. He told me that getting cheap shoes was okay, so that's mostly what I've worn - just cheap Wal-mart Sneakers, very non-stylish. I can't recall having any problems with sores. Due to my spasms, my legs jump around some and usually within a couple of months the fake leather on the sides of the shoe gets all wrecked up. I need to pay attention and figure out what it is on my wheelchair that they are running into or dragging across. I wonder if the same thing would happen to more expensive shoes. Because the shoe on my left (non-AFO) side was way too big, my spasms sometimes would kick the shoe off my foot - rather annoying..... So lately I've been buying shoes 1 1/2 sizes too big so the shoe flying problem is not so bad. Whatever you end up with, keep checking your feet every day for any red spots or sores.

#25 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9 incomplete

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

Thanks KaterinWit for the link. I checked the web page and found shoes in which I like. The shoe sizes were even what I was looking for.
Tinamarie I've been lucky all these years in that I've never had problems in with regards to skin break down on my feet. While saying, I'm also knocking on wood... :o)
Yes I normal go a size bigger. But for what ever reason the dress shoes I buy which are a size bigger still cause my feet to feel like the shoes are tight. When I get home after work those shoes are off so fast it's not funny. Running shoes seem to be the only shoes that I can wear that feel good.
LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!

Regards

Marty

#26 iMADON

iMADON

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Quadri(Tetra)plegia
  • Injury Date:30-07-2003

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Get shoes or trainers that have a bit of slack in them, my feet expand from sitting in the chair all day from 8am-11pm or later depending how busy I am. I tend to buy Lacoste trainers protect as they're really easy to take off and look half smart.
It is better to climb the highest point and fall than never to fly at all.

#27 munkypoop

munkypoop

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 incomplete quad
  • Injury Date:10-05-2007

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

I have found that skate shoes tied loosely works well and my mom says the converse all-star Chuck Taylor shoes are easy to get my toes correctly inside the shoe because the tongue on the shoes can be pulled down all the way down
Imagine what I do when I need to laugh or feel better. Imagine a purple hippo standing up straight wearing pink clown shoes and juggling lime green Jell-O squares!

#28 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 #PimpWithALimp
  • Injury Date:12-30-2011

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

Air forces.
Either you choose to be blessed to be cursed or cursed to be blessed. I choose to be blessed to be cursed. 

#29 nknight.92

nknight.92

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L2 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:21-07-2012

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

I wear my old DC's from before my accident. I always had a foot swelling problem so i bought bigger shoes to compensate. I haven't had any problems with sores, only when I wore my women's DC's which are more narrow. So far skate shoes are still pretty comfortable and keep my feet warm :)

#30 NancyE

NancyE

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-01-2006

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

New Balance has many styles and colors, going up to 4x wide. They are not cheap, but mine have yet to wear out. ( I waterproof mine before wearing, in case of spills or leaks etc)
Reality continues to ruin my life. - Calvin and Hobbes

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.