hannibal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4-T5 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:05-31-2006

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Wondering for those that have screws and rods in there back if they experince any problems in the summer with the hardware heating up? I have almost 0 sensation in my trunk, but can feel heat when it gets extremely bad and this is often delayed. Just wondering if its gonna be a problem.

#2 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

I can't say it has ever been a problem, they would have to heat up way above body temperature (37ºC) which would make for a really, really hot day and one that you probably wouldn't tolerate being out for an extended period of time in the sun anyway.

Unless you live in a volcano....

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#3 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete(ly insane)
  • Injury Date:07-08-2007

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

So super villians could have a problem with this then?

HANDICAPPED HOTRODS 2ND ANNUAL CAR SHOW

http://socialarchite...4?layout=single

#4 hannibal

hannibal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Guess I will wait for the summer to kick in and find out.

#5 snodrog742

snodrog742

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 Complete

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

no, I've never had a problem and have had them for almost 6 years. Unless you start cooking yourself from the inside out, I don't think this is ever possible.

#6 Priscilla

Priscilla

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11-S2 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:05-06-2011

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

I wondered the same thing. This will be my first summer with hardware. I am sporting rods and screws in my back, and plates and screws in my pelvis and forearm. I would assume since the cold did not affect it at all this winter, then summer probably won't.
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.
-Christopher Reeve

#7 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

Titainium isa strong metal with very low density meaning a low electrical and themal conductivity. With a melting point of over 3000 degrees F and tensile strength of up to 63 000psi, If it ever does melt or break I'm gunna assume you've got bigger problems
  • greybeard and ClaraTaylor like this

#8 Priscilla

Priscilla

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11-S2 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:05-06-2011

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

^^^^ :)
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.
-Christopher Reeve

#9 richo

richo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 COMPLETE

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

heat or cold wont affect stuff in ya back,but something that could is infection.about a year alfter i broke my back i fell down a river bank,as iv throwen myself out of the chair i broke my hip,so plate and screws in that.almost a year after,a massive infection on and in the scar on hip,so off to hospital again they said the infection was in the bone where the screws were.so had too take every thing out of my hip........so i recon if that hapend in my hip wats stoping that from hapening in my back.

#10 Anna16

Anna16

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

The cold actually makes me more aware of my hardware. The rods themselves may not be changing temperature, but it sure feels like it.
You want to be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling

#11 Inkd760

Inkd760

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7/8 incomplete
  • Injury Date:01-07-2011

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

All I know is for ME on cold days I feel like crap my legs and back get tight and my back hurts soo much, but on warm days I feel a whole lot better, like it was already said Im more aware of my hardware when its cold.
Get busy LIVING or get busy DYING.....

#12 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

heat or cold wont affect stuff in ya back,but something that could is infection.about a year alfter i broke my back i fell down a river bank,as iv throwen myself out of the chair i broke my hip,so plate and screws in that.almost a year after,a massive infection on and in the scar on hip,so off to hospital again they said the infection was in the bone where the screws were.so had too take every thing out of my hip........so i recon if that hapend in my hip wats stoping that from hapening in my back.

Thas true. After "somebody" :dry: broke my femer they stuck a rod and a couple of pins in it. About 5 months later my knee swelled up until it split open and a bunch of pus came pouring out. Thas when they decided to remove it. It never really felt right, plus I was stuck inside most of that time anyway, so I can't say much as to how the temp really affected it, but there were a couple of screw heads that stuck out of my knee about 1/8-1/4 inch. :doh: Wonder why I hate that hospital

#13 Irish Wheelz

Irish Wheelz

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T6

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

The cold effect my rods in my back more than heat. I've had no problems in the summer, in the winter though :cold:

#14 richo

richo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

still think its in ya heads,about the cold........but ill give it a test this winnter coming and get back too yous about it

#15 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /Friend of AB Cassie
  • Injury Date:10-07-81

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

I have almost 0 sensation in my trunk, but can feel heat when it gets extremely bad and this is often delayed. Just wondering if its gonna be a problem.

C5 incomplete with sensation to my toes. Yet I can't distinguish between Hot & Cold below my Belly Button "Naval" At the Skin surface. This causes Me to too often almost over Heat myself "Heat Exhaustion" if im Not Careful. "Heat Stroke if I'm not Super careful" cause No matter how Hot it gets, I never Sweat a drop!

Good Luck. Hope your Summer is Great! :D

still think its in ya heads,about the cold........but ill give it a test this winnter coming and get back too yous about it

Why wait until Winter? Just push into the local grocery store meat freezer for a couple hours! :D
~Kill them with Kindness~

#16 richo

richo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

I have almost 0 sensation in my trunk, but can feel heat when it gets extremely bad and this is often delayed. Just wondering if its gonna be a problem.

C5 incomplete with sensation to my toes. Yet I can't distinguish between Hot & Cold below my Belly Button "Naval" At the Skin surface. This causes Me to too often almost over Heat myself "Heat Exhaustion" if im Not Careful. "Heat Stroke if I'm not Super careful" cause No matter how Hot it gets, I never Sweat a drop!

Good Luck. Hope your Summer is Great! :D

Why wait until Winter? Just push into the local grocery store meat freezer for a couple hours! :D

Better still..bottle shop......LOL

#17 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5,6.7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-08-2003

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

I got enough titanium in my back to build an SR-71 Blackbird I think. I have had it for almost ten years now, and really I don't remember many problems other than the first few years of my body getting used to the way I was "put" back together by the doctors. After a few years the weird sensations and pains went away, the cold seemed to affect me more, but that may be normal now just like the stiffness of weather changes is my new normal now. The summer heat is hard on me anyway, as I no longer sweat because of my SCI, my body has a hard time regulating body temerature. One of the joys of SCI I suppose, is having to re-learn what signals are left that your body sends to your brain reguarding heat, cold, pain and discomfort. I can tell, when I'm getting overheated outside when I feel a certain way, and I have learned to pay close attention to these feelings and act on them quickly as overheating comes very fast and can be dangerous when it starts.
Holy crip I'm a crapple!!!

#18 richo

richo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

just an idea,you know how dogs regulate there body temp with there tonges.may be on hot days we could all roll around with out tonges floping out,sucking up the breez.

#19 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5,6.7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-08-2003

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

just an idea,you know how dogs regulate there body temp with there tonges.may be on hot days we could all roll around with out tonges floping out,sucking up the breez.

Yeah, I can see me rolling around with my tongue hanging out and getting arrested for being a perverted cripple! :)
Holy crip I'm a crapple!!!

#20 richo

richo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, I can see me rolling around with my tongue hanging out and getting arrested for being a perverted cripple! :)

even beter

#21 millione

millione

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-8 complete

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Naww, I have these rods in my back for 10 yrs now, and knock on wood I never had any problems with them

#22 Wobbly

Wobbly

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 c6/7 and l5/s1 inc
  • Injury Date:06-02-2008

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

I definately suffer more in the cold with the metslwork, and feel better when its warm. But i think its just the effect of muscles/ tendons near the metal getting more tense in the cold and the unbending metal not helping.
When life gives you lemons reach for the gin and tonic

#23 plank

plank

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6 incomplete
  • Injury Date:17-03-2010

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

I find that the metalwork in my neck sparks alarmingly when I'm in the microwave oven. I therefore don't spend a lot of time in there and would recommend that others do the same.

Plank (Just trying to be helpful)

The above post, like many of my posts is probably dripping in sarcasm and may be an attempt at humour.  I f you begin to feel offended by it then please accept my apology, ignore it and move on, I never set out to offend anyone.  My outlook on life is sunny and I endeavour to bring sunshine into the lives of all around me including you.  Here's a smiley for you.   :)

#24 hannibal

hannibal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Ok, awesome, thanks everyone for the answers.

#25 tsh3406

tsh3406

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4-6/self
  • Injury Date:09-03-1991

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

If your internal body temp drops enough to allow the metal inside your body to cool down, or heat up if that's the case, you've got some serious issues. Do the fillings in your teeth get hot?

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.