joesstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Country - Town/City:USA
  • Spinal Injury Level:incomplete c7
  • Injury Date:08-13-2010

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

I am trying to figure out how to clean and reuse catheters. The doctor recommended me to use bleach to clean them but that seems a bit harsh. What do other people use or recommend? How do you go about storing them? Can you reuse a speedi cath or do you have to have use reusable catheters? Thanks for any advise.
Stay healthy and active. Your life will be happier!!

#2 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,719 posts
  • Country - Town/City:Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm not sure about the cleaning procedure as I don't use them but you need catheters specifically designed to be reused. Speedicath and similar single use catheters cannot be reused.
EC
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#3 Astack23

Astack23

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Country - Town/City:colorado
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12 complete

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

I use mentor catheters and they are reusable. I don't even rinse them after every use and never seem to have a problem.
One must have a strong will to make it.

#4 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts
  • Country - Town/City:Vermilion, Alberta, Canada
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete(ly insane)
  • Injury Date:07-08-2007

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Our wonderful healthcare system only covers 30/month. Don't know about you, but I gotta go more than once a day. I just rince 'em off with hot water. In nearly 5 years the only UTIs' \I've had have been with an indwelling cath in the hopical.

HANDICAPPED HOTRODS 2ND ANNUAL CAR SHOW

http://socialarchite...4?layout=single

#5 AdrienneDeYoung

AdrienneDeYoung

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Country - Town/City:Canada
  • Spinal Injury Level:Multiple Sclerosis
  • Injury Date:00-09-2011

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

I never got to use an in-and-out/speed catheter. I ended up with an indwelling foley catheter (Urethra), then I got a suprapubic foley catheter. I use a half-vinegar/half-water solution to clean the catheter bags - but it only neutralizes the bags. I wouldn't use that vinegar solution to clean a catheter. Bleach is used in my local Rehab, but for the catheter bags in my experience.

I get blisters/skin tears from my silicone catheter. I have spent many months in bed. Mainly because MS has moved into my spine.

Good luck to you.
my fancy signature! Adrienne

#6 mamabas

mamabas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t8 to t12 and L4 to L5
  • Injury Date:04-05-2007

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

I used reuseable caths for almost a year,it was a great day when my urologist orderd one time use catheters. I can get 100-200 a month now.
that's the only thing medical wise that has been taken care of so far.

#7 mylovesinachair

mylovesinachair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Country - Town/City:usa
  • Spinal Injury Level:Girlfriend of T6-T7
  • Injury Date:01-01-2009

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hi Joesstone... So... When first dating my bf, I noticed he would place one cath next to his bed at night. He would use it in the middle of the night then wake up early morning and use the same one AGAIN! It's the kind you use once and usually throw away.. I told him it doesn't seem sanitary but he said he does it all the time... It's definitely not because he has limited caths because he definitely has an overage of them. Shortly afterwards, he got hospitalized for a bad UTI and I am SURE it is resulting from reusing his caths. Since prior to hospitalization from the UTI, I have been placing 2-3 caths next to his bedside so he won't resuse then and last night for the first time, I noticed he placed two on his bedside on his own. I was very happy to see that... So... Long story short, I do not recommend reusing the "disposable" caths. Apologies, don't know all the different types or names... Good luck! Maybe rubbing alcohol is less harsh than bleach?

#8 ZEN12many

ZEN12many

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Country - Town/City:Woodland, CA, USA
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12 incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-12-2004

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

I put the used catheters in a large jar of water with dish soap in it. Once a day, I take all of the catheters and rewash them in very hot water with dish soap. I then run hot water through the catheter through the tip (that you insert). I drain as much water out as I can and lay the catheter on a paper towel with the tip you insert higher than the other end (to try to make the insert-tip dry).
  • cripplechick73 likes this

Rodney(ZEN12many)

#9 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,482 posts
  • Country - Town/City:Upstate New York, USA
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

I have reusable that I rinse with hot water then store in its little tube which I fill once a week with povidone-iodine. Works fine. I rinse it with distilled water just a bit before useing because I find the iodine very mildly irritating.

Another member soaks the used single-use ones in 1\10 bleach-water solution overnight. She then bags them in a zip lock for next use, reusing each batch for one month.

#10 dom

dom

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Country - Town/City:uk
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

It seems strange to me that the USA/Canada healthcare don't supply catheters single use only like they do in the UK just a thought

#11 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Country - Town/City:So.Calif, USA
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Actually, Medicare has up'ed the catheter usage to 200 a month as of 2008. So, as asked above, why are you guys in the USA still reusing your catheters???

Call your insurance company and get the information straight from them, you are able to get an amount that will allow you to cath up to every 4 hours for one month (200). Many insurance companies cover the entire amount, while some like my last one only covered 80%, so my fee was about $50.00 a month. This was still worth the price of having to constantly sterilize and risk a possible UTI for me, not to mention my wife (geez, I never even considered that one before).
  • cripplechick73 likes this
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#12 AdrienneDeYoung

AdrienneDeYoung

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Country - Town/City:Canada
  • Spinal Injury Level:Multiple Sclerosis
  • Injury Date:00-09-2011

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

It seems strange to me that the USA/Canada healthcare don't supply catheters single use only like they do in the UK just a thought

I know and healthcare is free here! I love my supra-pubic catheter. It's discreet. Nuses deal with my abdomen when changing the foley catheter.
my fancy signature! Adrienne

#13 munkypoop

munkypoop

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Country - Town/City:United States
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 incomplete quad
  • Injury Date:10-05-2007

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

You have to be very thorough with it. In the US, don't know where you live, insurance pays for disposable ones in any style you want. UTIs occur a lot more often when reusing a catheter. I can't remember the name of the one I have, but it is all in a bag and comes already lubed up and you don't touch any part of the catheter that enters the body. And then all the urine drains into the bag that everything is in. So far, it is the best catheter out there and decreases the amount of UTIs by a ton and it is disposable and paid by insurance and I get plenty of them in case you drink a lot more than some days. We have never ran out in four years and my UTIs, I get at least half of them then when it was just a plain, straight Catheter the first year!
Imagine what I do when I need to laugh or feel better. Imagine a purple hippo standing up straight wearing pink clown shoes and juggling lime green Jell-O squares!

#14 hmattoon

hmattoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-T12 Complete
  • Injury Date:14-07-2007

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

I reuse my single use catheters always. I rinse them off with hot water and lay them on a towel to dry. I have done this fr a couple of years because I hated being so wasteful and having to pay for extra boxes. Anyway, I never get UTIs, seriously.

#15 munkypoop

munkypoop

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

I get 150 disposable ones a month. And I have expensive ones that it decreased my bladder infections by a lot. However, it took a few months with my urologist fighting companies herself to get me those and paid by insurance/Medicare! Which I guess is proof that if you have a Dr., no matter what they specialize in, if they go above and beyond what most would, keep on to the Dr. if you can.
Imagine what I do when I need to laugh or feel better. Imagine a purple hippo standing up straight wearing pink clown shoes and juggling lime green Jell-O squares!

#16 Erica Smith

Erica Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t6
  • Injury Date:08-05-2008

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Whenever I resuse catheters I get a UTI. I recently got my amount per month upped and am soso happy I did!

#17 munkypoop

munkypoop

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Whenever I resuse catheters I get a UTI. I recently got my amount per month upped and am soso happy I did!

yes that is very common but the ones you get that are disposable are not supposed to be used more than once, so I hope you using ones made to be used again. And it's always being very anal about the washing, and care and the use of catheters completely correctly is important to avoid UTIs! Of course though you can never be perfect with everything! Disposable ones are nice because it cuts down on the UTIs. I used to get them all the time and when I got disposable ones. I still got an UTI, like every other month. Then I got the new ones that are all in a bag and the person who is using it on me never touches anything that is entering my body. They're very expensive though and took my urologist a lot of work to get me them, but with those I've only had 2 UTIs since October!

#18 xxm

xxm

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Country - Town/City:Bulgaria
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/C7

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

...Can you reuse a speedi cath or do you have to have use reusable catheters? Thanks for any advise.

joesstone,

It is widely accepted that hydrophilic catheters can't be reused.

I've been reusing SpeedyCath for two months after removing the hydrophilic coating in warm water rubing it with a towel untill it is no longer sticky.

In fact after removing the coating you will see that it is not polished but has microscopically tiny recesses in the surface. These tiny scratches store lubricant to prevent trauma. If I reuse polished, during insertion all the lubricant is washed away and when I pull it out it is no longer lubricated.

Later I switched to SafetyCath which has the same non poiished surface.
http://www.medical-service.de/html_eng/produkte/produkte.php
Nobody's Pain Can Be Shared.

#19 rprice1

rprice1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Country - Town/City:US
  • Spinal Injury Level:no injury

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

I am shocked that you guys do not use disposable catheters. I have recently signed my father up with disposable catheters through DSS Medical and it has truly changed his life. Through medicare you are allowed up to 200 a month...he had been using 5 a month. No one told him any different and with the knowledge of a friend, I changed this for him quick. I have been making it a point to help others like him. Please contact DSS Medical and get signed up. They delivered right to his door and sent him some different samples to make sure he was using the best/easiest for him. His rep is Rebecca rgilliam@dssmedical.com.
Hope this helps!

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.