•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Warm Your Freezing Feet The Safe Way

quest for warm feet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

Greetings,

For those of you who suffer with ice cold feet you may be interested to hear my tips for going to bed with warm feet and legs. I used to blast mine with my hair dryer before going to bed because usually every night I wake with the pain of cold feet and at 2am or 4am, whatever, waking with the pain of cold feet is no joke.

I ended up with a wound on my leg because I was so tired one night that I didn't notice that I'd burned my skin.

I am 100% committed to try and find the best solutions to problems; and I will always pass on my tips to folks in case it helps. Here are some things that I find help to warm my feet at night, they tend to be fine during the day:
  • memory foam pillow to prop feet, the memory foam retains heat
  • electric blanket switched on 1 hour before bed, PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION. I take my blanket out before I get in to bed. I use place this on top of the memory foam pillow and under a fleece blanket
  • fleece blanket on the top of the feet
et voila! Nice warm toasty pain free feet.
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#2 McTavish

McTavish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 incomplete
  • Injury Date:29-03-2005

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Sounds nice and cosy to me.

#3 LeeS

LeeS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-Transverse Myelitis
  • Injury Date:24-08-2006

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

think i might try some of these, my legs/feet are frozen every night and go blue and orange, yes orange when theyre reallly cold!

#4 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

Admin/Moderator/That Guy!

• **Admin
  • 4,867 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Or, you could try these, but you can't stand on them!

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000Z7F5RQ

Simon :)

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#5 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,040 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

I got a pair of these (well similar) for Christmas

http://www.barefoote...pper-boots.html

should go without saying but... always check the temperature before using!

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#6 ClaraTaylor

ClaraTaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T12-L5

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

I got a pair of these (well similar) for Christmas

http://www.barefoote...pper-boots.html

should go without saying but... always check the temperature before using!

I received a pair of those too!!

I'm hoping to get a microwave for my birthday...

But having used them a couple of times they are very warming although it felt like lead weights on my legs.

#7 ZEN12many

ZEN12many

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12 incomplete (TM)
  • Injury Date:07-12-2004

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Those cold feet at night!!!! I got one of those 12"x12" pads you put in the microwave. I left it in 5 minutes which may have been too much since some spots were very very hot when I got it out. I let it cool somewhat before using it but I was afraid the whole time that my feet might be getting burned and me not know it. I could tell my feet and legs were warmer but mostly because I could tell I was sweating. My feet still had that tingly painful feeling although it was a bit different. I only used it that one time.

I like the memory foam idea. I think my solution isn't heat but touch. Also, I don't really like a microwave solution since it is somewhat inconvenient to go all the way to the kitchen in the middle of the night when my feet wake me up cold.

Rodney(ZEN12many)

#8 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

i sleep in ski socks and wear them anytime i have cold feet which is year round. i also cushion my feet with a pillow which keeps them warm as well.

i can see where blow dryers and microwave heated items can cause burns which is no good.

good luck,

mellowgator
hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

#9 Sunflower_Laura

Sunflower_Laura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-3 incomplete
  • Injury Date:02-28-2012

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

I have no temperature sensation from the bra line down. Before all this happened I had freezing feet all the time! They are still freezing now but are on mute because I can't feel them ;)

#10 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 #PimpWithALimp
  • Injury Date:12-30-2011

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

Feet are freezing but don't bother me? Weirdness
Either you choose to be blessed to be cursed or cursed to be blessed. I choose to be blessed to be cursed. 

#11 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have a heat pad under the sheet at the foot of the bed, and it is on a timer. I turn it on an hour before bedtime, then off as I get in after checking temp with my hand. Usually that warms my feet enough that they stay warm all night. It is important to me to get my lower legs and feet warm for circulation while sleeping.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.