Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Bladder Prob. Docs Stumped...please Help

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Niceparalegs

Niceparalegs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 incomp barely
  • Injury Date:22-12-2011

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hi folks. I'm a 26 yr old female para. Incomplete but barrrerlyT-11. About 3 mos after getting out of the hospital..(last mo) My bladder began acting up. I intermittent cath every 3-4 hrs. But my bladder began releasiing everything all the time. It got so bad that it would in the matter of an hour flood my chair and my kitchen floor. I have a urologist appointment next mon. I have a foley in to keep me from flooding until then. Anyone have any info that may be benificial?

#2 SequinScandal

SequinScandal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T1
  • Injury Date:17-06-2006

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Bladder problems are common with SCI. My bladder has gotten worse over the years. Good things is there are plenty of things you can try to prevent you from leaking. They will probably start out by trying medication. There's also botox injections, which help keep the bladder from releasing. There is a surgery where they can take a piece from your intestine to use to make a larger bladder. Amongst other things. You just have to try and see what works for you. Good luck at your doctors appointment.

#3 anomiepete

anomiepete

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 Complete
  • Injury Date:14-11-1978

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

No definite idea but the fact that your bladder doesn't bypass the cath when in is a good sign as it means you at least have one option of staying dry. When you say your bladder releases everything all the time do you mean you are constantly leaking/dribbling pee or is your bladder expelling the pee in one go and then a little bit later doing the same?

The reason I ask is that the symptoms might provide you with clues. Eg 1) your bladder valve is closed but when your bladder fills it opens and then releases or 2) your bladder valve is always open and releases pee all the time.

Good luck for Monday

#4 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /Friend of AB Cassie
  • Injury Date:10-07-81

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hey NiceLegs,
In my rehab days in a veterans hospital where 99% of us SCIs' were Men we cathed every 4 to 6 hours to keep the amount of urine in our bladders from causing AD, Only until our Bladders learned to urinate as needed while wearing a condom catheter. The females cathed as needed every 4 to 6 hours until their Bladder learned to release the urine as it needed to. Once they began urinating without cathing, wetting themselves they went with an interal catheter 24/7 through the urethra or had a SP super pubic put in.

Sorry to hear your problem, while Hoping you get it solved. If you find an answer other then a catheter 24/7 or SP could you let me know please. I'm sure I'm going to meet another female sci with your problem and would love to have an alternative answer for them!
~Kill them with Kindness~

#5 Ferreira

Ferreira

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T1

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Probably an Uti. Other than that you might need some Ditropan, its up to the urologist to determine it.
All the best.

#6 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

I'm throwing my vote into the UTI corner. Alternately do you have any history of Kidney or Bladder stones? Even constipation can cause abdominal spasms.
Hope you find some relief.
EC
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#7 hannibal

hannibal

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4-T5 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:05-31-2006

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

Wish I could help, hope things get better. I have the opposite problem can't empty at all no matter how full I get.

#8 mellowgator

mellowgator

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6/7

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

dear niceparalegs,

i had the same issue as you. when i was in rehab i was cathed every 4 hours and once i got home i started leaking. what helped me was medication called oxytrol. it's the same medicine as detrol but the pill made my mouth too dry so i switched to the patch.

the only other thing that makes me leak between caths is uti's.
hi fellow gimps! i'm a c 6/7 quad and have been injured since 1986. i was in a roll over hydroplane accident and it took hours for the paramedics to get me out of the car in the pouring rain. that definately wasn't my day. but alas life goes on!

#9 davjed

davjed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:17-12-1961

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

We have similar injuries and it sounds similar to my early experiences. Having an incomplete injury at t-11 may leave you with a reflex spastic bladder that empties on its own. For the first twenty years I had to use a Texas condom cath that we learned to make at rehab. Then, years later, I needed a fusion and rod inserted at my injury site and it changed my bladder to flacid. It would no longer spasm and empty, but I could empty with my abdominal muscles and get by with just a pad if I didn't wait too long. In the past ten years, it has begun to spasm again and soak me. I have had to start using a commercial condom cath at night for the past 2 years and be more careful during the day with a pad. It's unfortunate that something simple hasn't been found for females.
"DON'T TREAD ON ME"

#10 rymann

rymann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-9,t-10
  • Injury Date:08-02-2006

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

I'm a T-9 T-10 para male and have struggled with uti's. I started using D-Manose, you can buy it anywhere vitamins are sold. I buy mine through amazom becasue it's cheaper to buy in bulk. I take one in the a.m and one in the p.m, when i start to feel one comning on (UTI) i up the dosage for a few days. It works great for me and I don't have to take a bunch of antibotics...

#11 Kev-O

Kev-O

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-5

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

I had the same problems I was getting uti's all the time. After about 4-5 years of trying new things (meds) the best thing I found was just watching what you drink. My bladder HATES caffeine, sugar, and alcohol. The only thig I really drink now is water or cranberrie juice.

One more thing I found that helps is just watching your fluid intake. If I drink a bottle of water then depending on when I cathed last I will probably have to take a leak in an hr or two. With a combination of those two methods I have not had a uti or had to take any antibiotics in 8+ months. It sucks not being able to drink what you want but is better then pissing your pants.

#12 Niceparalegs

Niceparalegs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Well, its not a uti. been tested multiple times. i drink tons of cran. trying vesicare...ill let u know how it works

#13 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,795 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hi,

If you don't have a UTI, and you don't have bladder stones, it could be an overactive bladder.

Detrusor overactivity (contraction of the muscular bladder wall), can occur when the bladder fills. The stretching of the bladder wall puts the bladder into spasm, forcing out the urine.

This can be managed by drugs, most commonly Tolterodine (Detrol, Detrusitol).

If drugs don't have an effect on the symptoms, then pressure studies or a cystoscopy may be required by your urologist to determine a further course of action.

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#14 Niceparalegs

Niceparalegs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

If you don't have a UTI, and you don't have bladder stones, it could be an overactive bladder.

Detrusor overactivity (contraction of the muscular bladder wall), can occur when the bladder fills. The stretching of the bladder wall puts the bladder into spasm, forcing out the urine.

This can be managed by drugs, most commonly Tolterodine (Detrol, Detrusitol).

If drugs don't have an effect on the symptoms, then pressure studies or a cystoscopy may be required by your urologist to determine a further course of action.

Simon

thank u 4 all ur posts. figured out the prob (neurogenic bladder) God bless

Edited by Niceparalegs, 13 May 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#15 DwightJ

DwightJ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5
  • Injury Date:13-06-2006

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

UTI most likely but are you having any spasms which trigger the leaking ? If you are your body is trying to tell you something is wrong the spasms are a reflex to get the bacteria out of you bladder.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.