Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Is There Any Help To Pay My Rent While Going To School?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kenwood

Kenwood

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 complete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2007

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hello, im about to be 23 years old, Ive been injured for 5 years now and still living with my parents. I would like to go to school so I can finally get a job. Im interested in moving from california to arizona to attend MMI. Im also interested in a school called wyotech thats in California but in the bay area and much more expensive to live. Im currently on ssi and get $830 a month. Is there anything else that can help me pay for rent that wont take away from my ssi. $830 per month is an impossible income to live on my own with, im not real interested in having any roomates either. Most students going to school also work part time to help them pay, but im in a wheelchair and have no skills in any work environment that could get me hired. Even if I could get some sort of job they will take away part if not all of my ssi. I guess im pretty much looking for something that will pay most of my rent while I go to school. If nothing exist im pretty much screwed, and I will have to live with my parents until they die and I become homeless.

#2 Spinner

Spinner

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Country:Mid Western United States (But I'm a California Girl)
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5 Complete/Wife
  • Injury Date:15-06-1990

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

There are lots of options for college financial aid. Contact the financial aid offices of the colleges you are interested in attending and they should be able to give you all kinds of good information. You might even be able to take a work study job on campus and not have it counted against your SSI income. Also look into Vocational Rehabilitation in California and Arizona to see what kind of resources they might have for a student living with a disabilities. By working with our local Voc Rehab my husband was able to get all of his classes paid for along with receiving supplies such as computer with Dragon Dictate.
"The reality of man is his thought, not his material body." Abdu'l Baha

#3 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Look into Medi-CAL:Medi-Cal: Provider Home Page

They might pay for other financial obligations.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#4 Scrappy

Scrappy

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hello, im about to be 23 years old, Ive been injured for 5 years now and still living with my parents. I would like to go to school so I can finally get a job. Im interested in moving from california to arizona to attend MMI. Im also interested in a school called wyotech thats in California but in the bay area and much more expensive to live. Im currently on ssi and get $830 a month. Is there anything else that can help me pay for rent that wont take away from my ssi. $830 per month is an impossible income to live on my own with, im not real interested in having any roomates either. Most students going to school also work part time to help them pay, but im in a wheelchair and have no skills in any work environment that could get me hired. Even if I could get some sort of job they will take away part if not all of my ssi. I guess im pretty much looking for something that will pay most of my rent while I go to school. If nothing exist im pretty much screwed, and I will have to live with my parents until they die and I become homeless.

Hey wats up? Well I'm sure your ready to move out so your probably pretty independent.. When you find the college you wana go to try to find some government housing or funded apartments, usually they will only charge a certain % of your income like $150 and utilities come cheap there. Hope this helps a little with your situation
SCRAPPY

#5 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

I had posted this in the other topic you posted, but it was the same subject.

Have you considered online classes? I went to school on campus for 2 years and it was murder in the winter. I mainly went full time online just to avoid the snow, but damned if the rent wasn't cheaper than a dorm. Most colleges nowadays have online courses, even community college. Just a thought, unless what you're going for is heavy hands-on.

What's your major?
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#6 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Kenwood-
There you go off the deep end of depression gain with "until they die and i become homeless".

#1 If you are to be a success as a student or worker first you must learn to both do and enjoy doing research on-line. It is fine to ask us, but then submerge yourself in googling the suggestions you get. Read until you go blind. Your first big research project is how to get an education, and once you get that figured out you will already be a good student.

When the hopelessness sneaks into your brain just bypass it, click on another link, and read some more. Save the links that seem useful so you can go back and read them again.

Think of it as guerrilla warfare to get out of your parents house. Your secret!
  • greybeard likes this

#7 Kenwood

Kenwood

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 complete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2007

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

Well thanks for all the input, Ive been constantly searching online for things to help me pay rent on my own but I come up empty handed and get frustrated to the point where I could throw the computer. I've spoken with the school and have had them come to my house. They told me it wouldn't be any problem for me to go to the school and learn and paying for tuition wouldn't be much of a problem either, they did tell me that they would not be able to help out with housing even though the website say's they can and once I graduate it wouldn't be easy finding a job considering im in a wheelchair they said I may not get hired at all. I think vocational rehab is the way to go, but any rehab dept. Is over an hour away from where I live. I'll look into the voc. rehab and see if I get anywhere.

#8 jules

jules

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6
  • Injury Date:28-04-1992

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

That isn't good when your uni tells you that you may not get hired because of being in a wheelchair, in fact I think that is terrible of them, they should be helping to build your confidence for getting a job not destroying it as they seem to have done here. It is also illegal not to employ someone because they are in a wheelchair. When I graduated from Uni and was looking for a job I always went into interviews with the mindset of how I could overcome any problems that my chair caused. I was working as a biomedical scientist so as you can imagine a lab is not the most wheelchair friendly place.

I always went into interviews and tried to show that I was both confident and competent and they saw me primarily as a biomedical scientist and they saw the chair as secondary.

Hope this helps.

Jules
  • Spinner likes this

#9 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well thanks for all the input, Ive been constantly searching online for things to help me pay rent on my own but I come up empty handed and get frustrated to the point where I could throw the computer. I've spoken with the school and have had them come to my house. They told me it wouldn't be any problem for me to go to the school and learn and paying for tuition wouldn't be much of a problem either, they did tell me that they would not be able to help out with housing even though the website say's they can and once I graduate it wouldn't be easy finding a job considering im in a wheelchair they said I may not get hired at all. I think vocational rehab is the way to go, but any rehab dept. Is over an hour away from where I live. I'll look into the voc. rehab and see if I get anywhere.

Wow, that university needs to be fired for saying such things. You're a T5. There are a billion jobs out there for people with arms and a brain. You employ the school and they don't deserve to be employed. I am also a T5 and have been working part or full time (now overtime) since I was 16 years old. The uni should NEVER tell a student it's not worth their while or money. They are completely unqualified to make that judgement, if you ask me.

Our lifestyle may focus around a lot of the things we can't do, but you're on the computer right now. You have good typing skills. If you have access to online courses, there's absolutely no reason you can't get a good education. What is it that you WANT to do?
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#10 St. Peter

St. Peter

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Check out this blog it has the best student advice
When Intelligence meets a challenge, barriers fall.

#11 St. Peter

St. Peter

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Since your going to college check this blog it's the best student advice.

http://calnewport.com/blog/
When Intelligence meets a challenge, barriers fall.

#12 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

You will need to apply for "section 8 housing" the state pays part of your rent.....BUT.....there is waiting list sevreal years long. And you can get Department Of Rehabilitation (D.O.R.) can help with school related costs; books, fees, etc..
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#13 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Oh, and find a DIFFERENT university . . . . one that's understands and embraces the simple fact that NO ONE is of greater value than someone else because of how they get around.

Sure, we can take your money for tuition, but don't come cryin' to us if you can't get hired! What a crock of sh!t.

I've seen plenty of quads hired as Psychologists, writers, artists, salesmen, etc. There really is no limit, as long as the building you work at has an elevator, to what you can do.
  • wheeliebear75 likes this
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#14 lonebobseytwin

lonebobseytwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:cervical, sciwora/ walker
  • Injury Date:02-07-2007

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

most colleges offer disability assistance, I know also there is section 8 housing that's a government program through HUD, that's designed to help elderly, low income and disabled with finding housing and offers a housing subsidy to help you pay. You could live anywhere in this program.

I'm 25, in the same situation as you, living with my parents. I don't have SSI yet I'm still working on it, but I had considered going through the section 8 program if I was ever able to move out.

Your 23, we still have a ways to go, be confident that we all get back to living on our own someday! Don't lose hope! Just because we hit a big bump in the road doesn't mean life stops moving, we can still get to the things we want.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.