Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

So How Many Sci People May Be Banned?!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kernowtetra

Kernowtetra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6
  • Injury Date:08-06-1990

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-17975502

So if Baclofen and Diazepam etc for spasms and pain are going to be on the list of drugs then some people may have problems in the future!

Hopefully, common sense may prevail and such drugs as long as they do not affect someone's driving ability will be exempt.

#2 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

Well luckily it does say in excess of specified limits. But you'd have to find out what the specifics are.
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#3 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,990 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Note that first you would have been stopped because your driving was quirky. Overall this is probably a good idea.

In Australia some states have introduced random roadside testing for cannabis and amphetamines. The information below offers a good list of drugs that are commonly associated with impaired driving. Benzodiazepines, including diazepan and clonazepan, which are often used by our population, are quite high on the culprit list. They should be, and many of our members complain that they cause drowsiness. I use clonazepan occasionally as a sleep aid!

It is sad that cannabis is so highly correlated with impaired driving, and I wish more users knew this. If more than 3 or 4 drugs go on the list it will be the result of a stupid amount of brain disorder in government, or dementia in democracy.

Current Treatment in Australia

Australia had approximately 30,000 people undertaking methadone treatment in 2009 (National Opioid Pharmacotherapy Statistics Annual Data Collection). Australia has done a great deal of research on the influence of drugs and driving finding things such as that in a sample of 436 injured drivers that cannabis metabolites were found in 46.7%, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in 7.6%, benzodiazepines in 15.6%, opiates in 11%, amphetamines in 4.1%, methadone in 3%, and cocaine in 1.4%.
Australian drug laws have more scientific basis, and as such patients on an opioid regimen are typically advised to not drive for up to 4 weeks, until their opioid regimen is stabilized. There is no national legal obligation to inform the driving agency of opioid use, but a doctor may recommend it. This relatively short period of waiting is much more reasonable then 1-3 years and allows for patients to resume normal life at a quick rate. Licensing varies by state or territory under their Ministry of Transports. Licensing agencies include The Road Transport Authority, Roads and Traffic Authority, Motor Vehicle Registry, Queensland Transport, Transport SA, Department of Infrastructure, Vicroads, and the Department for Planning Infrastructure. Each one may carry a different underlying policy, so it’s best to check with the correct agency before driving.

Edited by Tetracyclone, 07 May 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#4 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5,6.7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-08-2003

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Actually, since y'all cant be trusted with assault rifles and handguns over there, ya shouldn't be driving either. God save the Queen! :)

• greybeard likes this
Holy crip I'm a crapple!!!

#5 dreamerr

dreamerr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4/L5 Cauda Equina
  • Injury Date:11-15-2006

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

How ridiculous....
I know I will always have a seat:)

#6 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

How ridiculous....

Really?

So you think it's OK for people to drive when their performance is so impaired, because they are zonked out on opiates and anti-depressants, that the police are able to spot them weaving all over the road?

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#7 MTB John

MTB John

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6, Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-02-2010

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

My third day on clonazapam I dragged myself out of bed to go to work.
After driving for about 5 minutes I knew I was in trouble. Strange thing was I continued to work (another 15 minutes) because doing a U-turn or driving round the block and going back home seemed too complecated.

I made it to work, went inside. Slept at my desk for an hour and then my boss drove me home. Not fun.

I was OK on a lower dose but this is not the type of thing you want to learn through trial and error.

Edited by MTB John, 07 May 2012 - 05:12 PM.

Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

#8 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5,6.7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-08-2003

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Actually, since y'all cant be trusted with assault rifles and handguns over there, ya shouldn't be driving either. God save the Queen! :)

I was just funning y'all ya know, trying to get a rise outta the pommies! :)
  • greybeard likes this
Holy crip I'm a crapple!!!

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.