#1 Dipak

Dipak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:My self T12 incomplete
  • Injury Date:21-09-2006

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

In India i heard that there is a cure for every disease in Ayurveda, a doctor ask me that is there any written proof that sci related health problems are not curable, he suggest me to meditate for at least two hours of a day but i don't try it, is the meditation is really helpful in the recovery of sci related problems, please discuss.
http://www.facebook....nParasandquadra

Edited by Dipak, 19 May 2012 - 01:50 PM.

Each man is a hero and an oracle to somebody

#2 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

I've tried meditation pre-SCI, but I simply lack the focus and discipline to enlighten myself in this way.

For me, nirvana will always just be a band from the 90's.

Okay Depak, back on subject: the closest I've ever come to clearing my mind and experiencing a total nothingness of white light in a sea of euphoric dellight, is during orgasm. So, I will try my damnedest to walk each and every time I bust a nut, but I'm not gonna make that my main motivational goal.

I do think it's useful for some though, to help relax the nerves, both emotionally and physically . . . .it's just not for me.

Edited by qbounce, 18 May 2012 - 07:51 PM.

• Ratticis likes this
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#3 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /Friend of AB Cassie
  • Injury Date:10-07-81

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

It used to help me fall right to sleep every night. Then I found my Crazy friends here and I stopped cause they keep me up all night.
You Guys ruined my good nights sleep. :(
  • Ratticis likes this
~Kill them with Kindness~

#4 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

I haven't tried meditation quite like you're describing, but I have gone under hypnosis several times in an attempt to try moving parts down below. The only thing I found during those sessions is that I'd get too comfortable and fart, which brought me out of hypnosis incredibly embarrassed.

I've tried cupping and acupuncture, which is more of a Chinese treatment, and I would simply fall asleep. Not really the desired outcome, but it was peaceful.

On the other hand, I fall asleep every night to my iPod playing "Robert Gorick's Whisper Hypnosis" and it works EVERY TIME.
  • steve j s likes this
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#5 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,866 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete(ly insane)
  • Injury Date:07-08-2007

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

Sounds more like it could lead to pressure sores which would result effectivly be the opposite of what you're trying to achieve. This sounds more like one of these people that tell you "If you pray every day and have faith god will heal you". Sorry, not to offend, but it's pure snake oil

PS; Sorry Zack

Edited by Ratticis, 18 May 2012 - 08:58 PM.

Posted Image

#6 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

i too meditate to help me sleep. I visualise my spinal cord transmitting signals doe to my lower extremities. I like the sound of Ayurvedic medicine and one day hope to try more!
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#7 PianoLady

PianoLady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2-L3
  • Injury Date:03-16-1994

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have not had much success with being able to walk but I have had success with no bladder infections or skin problems in 18 years!!! It remember the day I felt a weird click in my brain like the switch that said---got this covered--just went on. I don't know how else to explain. Furthermore, I think that is mind over body/ and the minds ability to communicate with the functions of the body is superbly enhanced when the thoughts are made to nurture this relationship, or for meditation, the lack of thoughts that inhibit the process of clear communication. Also, just being conscious of your material connection to your body helps to keep healthy. But as they say, "anything is possible". I have seen some pretty profound and un-explainable events in my life. Just don't go in with expectations, it is all about realizing your full potential anyways. Some time ago, I would go into a store in town, and the Tibetan man always acted so surprised that I was not walking, even though I explained to him my injuries. I believe he always thought I could get to walking again through prayer. And my family thinks that too, they are Christian Scientists. Peace of the spirit can only bring good things.

#8 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

Meditation is not quite like learning to ride a bike.....it's more like trying to learn to ride a unicycle having never ridden a bicycle or anything else, one is not going to pick up & master meditation on the 1st try or even the 100th.....it is a road that must 1st be travled by mm before we can start counting anything in meters or miles.

There are books written on the healing powers of meditation; & although I doubt many will have the ability to do everything, most if they try hard enough & apply themselves diligently CAN at least obtain SOME benefits from meditation.

MY own meditation involves more of me taking mental walks/trips to relax myself AND to HELP with (never said it makes it go away) the pain. For relaxing I like to put on "Sailing by Christopher Cross" & picture myself sailing or laying in a hammock. I also like playing beach/surfing music & picture myself surfing. One of the other things I do is play nature sounds & try to in my MIND "become an animal" so that I'm flying through the skies in a flock of birds, or swiming in the ocean in a pod of dolphins, or running across a meadow in a herd of horses. There is also staying human & just going for a mountain hike where I try to flood my brain with details of this walk so that it is less capable of sending those annoying "OW"-mails.

What ever it is that you're hoping to acomplish with meditation it is something you should try with as little distractions as possible. AND don't try doing it while you're feeling crappy.....you NEED to start off when you're feeling OK-ish at least & the earlier into the pain cycle you start the meditation the easier it will be TO meditate (the longer you wait the harder it will be to meditate + the less you'll feel the benefits OF meditation).
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#9 Ggerry123

Ggerry123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c/5c6incomplete
  • Injury Date:06-08-2010

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

qbounce,zack,black sheep,and ratticis:
lol You all crack me up! Sure is a lot of fun just reading your comments on some of these threads! Makes my day! GOOD HUMOR!!

#10 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

I've tried various meditations and taken on different understandings of the meaning of the word which has given me my own version of what meditation means to me. I use it frequently but not in a disciplined-routine way. I meditate when I feel like I want to and in a way that suits the moment. It's part of what makes me...me. I can't say it does this or that for me because I am what I am and I can't compare with what I am not or might have been.

How did you go in untangling that?

I don't expect magic healing from mediation but it does seem to put my thoughts into order and things that seem to have eluded me suddenly and easily become obvious. I like it.

Edited by nomis, 21 May 2012 - 09:58 AM.

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#11 The Black Vegetable

The Black Vegetable

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

I've tried various meditations and taken on different understandings of the meaning of the word which has given me my own version of what meditation means to me. I use it frequently but not in a disciplined-routine way. I meditate when I feel like I want to and in a way that suits the moment. It's part of what makes me...me. I can't say it does this or that for me because I am what I am and I can't compare with what I am not or might have been.

How did you go in untangling that?

I don't expect magic healing from mediation but it does seem to put my thoughts into order and things that seem to have eluded me suddenly and easily become obvious. I like it.

your posts always seem so wise, If I had to guessed what you look like it would be gandolf in a wheelchair :)

"Every little helps" - Tesco

#12 spirited1

spirited1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:cervical
  • Injury Date:21-11-2006

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

I'd like to wake this topic up again so we can learn anything at all that may be helpful in the quest to meditate successfully.

I have not been able to get my mind far enough away from my body yet. I am cooking up some ideas for a contraption to seat myself for the task.

I'm trying to learn about chakra's now too.

Trying to get and keep my spine vertical and my legs crossed and well...lack of comfort seems the enemy.

It almost sounds like you have to be healthy to meditate correctly but I don't buy that. As long as meditation has been around and as long as there have been impaired people, somebody knows something about the subject.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Edited by spirited1, 29 July 2013 - 02:44 AM.

#13 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hi spirited1. You seem to be trying to fit into one particular technique for meditating and clearly it does not fit your situation. Forget about fancy lotus positions etc - just get yourself comfortable and safe where you can remain quietly for a length of time. Lie on your back if you want. The purpose is to focus your mind on nothing and to get there you firstly need to occupy your mind by focussing on something that can lead you to nowhere. Have a repetitive chant or focus on a body feeling (even an ache).

But you can't learn from me nor anyone else and especially you won't get it in books. You have to do it again and again. If it feels ok, even though nothing much happens, then you're likely on the right track. Just keep doing it...for months, years. In time you'll notice changes and begin to appreciate its worth. If not, do something else.

[...and ignore that Gandolf remark above...more like Mr Bean]

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#14 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,852 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'd like to wake this topic up again so we can learn anything at all that may be helpful in the quest to meditate successfully.

I have not been able to get my mind far enough away from my body yet. I am cooking up some ideas for a contraption to seat myself for the task.

I'm trying to learn about chakra's now too.

Trying to get and keep my spine vertical and my legs crossed and well...lack of comfort seems the enemy.

It almost sounds like you have to be healthy to meditate correctly but I don't buy that. As long as meditation has been around and as long as there have been impaired people, somebody knows something about the subject.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Mr. Bean is correct, as always.  Laying down is perfectly fine for meditation EXCEPT we tend to fall asleep.  that is why sitting is recommended.  i do it after coffee in the morning and that helps some.  One can get one's energy channels straight without having a straight spine, it just takes concentration and practice.  

#15 spirited1

spirited1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:cervical
  • Injury Date:21-11-2006

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hi spirited1. You seem to be trying to fit into one particular technique for meditating and clearly it does not fit your situation. Forget about fancy lotus positions etc - just get yourself comfortable and safe where you can remain quietly for a length of time. Lie on your back if you want. The purpose is to focus your mind on nothing and to get there you firstly need to occupy your mind by focussing on something that can lead you to nowhere. Have a repetitive chant or focus on a body feeling (even an ache).

But you can't learn from me nor anyone else and especially you won't get it in books. You have to do it again and again. If it feels ok, even though nothing much happens, then you're likely on the right track. Just keep doing it...for months, years. In time you'll notice changes and begin to appreciate its worth. If not, do something else.

[...and ignore that Gandolf remark above...more like Mr Bean]

Thank you. This makes good sense. The most available info about meditation online seems to be discipline oriented and that does not seem to fit me. I need undisciplined/free style. It's nice to know it can be done and it's been done before. Otherwise I would have to be the first.

#16 raghunathbj13

raghunathbj13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Complete
  • Injury Date:28-02-2010

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hi I am Raghunath from Hyderabad , India

My spouse is spine injured at T12 completely and paraplegic for the past 4 Years and if there is any medicine for curing that condition please let me know, If she can walk her self with at least with the help of sticks i am so happy.

Thanks,

Raghunath @ raghunathbj13@gmail.com

#17 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:08 AM

Sorry Ragh,, but so far,, the answer is no.  There are many studies being done in many parts of the world,, and some are very promising.  As to when there will be a breakthrough,, that, I'm afraid,, no one knows.  For now,, staying healthy,, and exercising to stay strong are about all we can do until that magic day when someone discovers the "CURE".

With patience and understanding,, you both can still have a good life,, while we wait.

ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.