Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Cold Sweats..

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jessa

jessa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4/c5
  • Injury Date:02-07-2007

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

So it only happens once every couple months and it lasts for a few days and I have no idea why it happens. . It's miserable though! There really weird thing is the sweating is only on one side and it is above the level of injury, usually if it is below the level of injury it could be autonomic dysreflexia, but I don't know about this.

#2 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

At our higher level of injury we're prone to constipation.

Just one thought.

And, if I haven't properly welcomed you to the forum, obviously I should have before I wrote the word, "constipation."
So, consider this one of my off days.
  • skeetie likes this
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#3 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

A welcome from me too. :cheers:
But I mentioned it BEFORE the :shitfan: :hammer: LOL

(Just givin Q a hard time :tease: )

I'm a MUCH lower injury level than you but I can't sweat for :poo: below L2 (where my neurological problems start). And you ruled out small UTI's?
  • skeetie likes this
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#4 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:23 AM

We are the same level and the "clamies" can drive you crazy. I just went through 2 days of them only while sitting. It happened to be a toenail issue. Some times it's related to bladder not draining enough. Other times, it's a pressure point warning me it's time to do a weight shift. I had them in bed while on my back (not when on my side) that lasted a few days. I think it was a pulled muscle but not 100% sure. Summer time they are tolerable but during the winter...OMG! It turns into a guessing game!

By the way, welcome aboard!!!

#5 jessa

jessa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:30 AM

Pulled muscle, that's a good one! That could be it because it doesn't seem to be anything else.. And they will drive you crazy!! I always get mine while I'm in bed on my back. . And thank you!! :-)

#6 goose

goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4/5
  • Injury Date:13-08-1986

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

Do they go away when you roll over on your side? Mine did. My problem was the muscle in my thigh. It took a few days of stretching it out for the sweats to go away. I was just sweaty enough to be uncomfortable....yucky feeling!!! Remember to drink extra fluids to stay hydrated!

#7 jessa

jessa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

yeah they do go away when I'm on my side. Just enough to feel yucky, yup! If I put the head of my bed up in helps a little too. .

#8 kiwiquad

kiwiquad

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 sensory incomplete

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Hi & welcome jessa,

you say it only happens once every couple months and it lasts for a few days...If it's a regular reoccurring issue, it sounds like your menstrual cycle to me.

"Feel the fear, & do it anyway"

#9 jessa

jessa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

No, I thought that at first too. . But then it would have been every month. One time it was three weeks apart then it could be three months apart so I'm not sure. . .

#10 kiwiquad

kiwiquad

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 sensory incomplete

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

I wouldn't rule it out though jessa...Keep a journal, logging in when sweats start, stop, & anything else that might be a cause for sweating (eg Uti) maybe you'll see a pattern, maybe you won't. If you don't, oxybutynin (used to relieve urinary and bladder difficulties) keeps the sweats away.

"Feel the fear, & do it anyway"

#11 LSB

LSB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5-6 incomplete / single
  • Injury Date:07-06-2010

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

ditropan...was my wonder drug...i used to have severe sweat problems it took my sweating away...
n1176963191_30225348_2432890.jpg
when in doubt, get out...now!

#12 tinamarie

tinamarie

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 incomplete/self

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

ditropan...was my wonder drug...i used to have severe sweat problems it took my sweating away...

Do you still use ditropan?

#13 Khalid Benissa

Khalid Benissa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6
  • Injury Date:09-04-2008

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

I have sweating by only right side , Especially when I sit in a wheelchair or when you defecate or when confined urine slightly

Note: I have a skin ulceration in the rear since 10 months and at the same time I started sweating on the one hand and one "right"

"When your heart longs for God and finds its joy and peace in being with Him, that's the Paradise of this world.

Thank God for every thing and i pray to make me strong .

#14 Candice Renee

Candice Renee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c7
  • Injury Date:05-28-2012

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

I get severe sweats that last bout a week every couple of months, i honestly think its part of spinal cord injuries

#15 koolkat

koolkat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C/5 quadriplegic
  • Injury Date:13-06-1999

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Oxybutynin worked for my cold sweats,I had them every night in till I was subscribed those little blue pills.they where a god sent for me.but every break is difrent good luck

#16 Samuel Self

Samuel Self

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8-9
  • Injury Date:20-05-1990

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

I believe the cold sweats are caused by pain.  Most commonly it's badder and bowel pain, I think, but any strong pain can do it.  Like sitting for waaaay to long.  Back in the day I'd fall asleep on the toilet from time to time and that would cause major cold sweats.

For me the bladder pain is caused by it being too full or because I'm passing a stone.  Spinal cord injuries are prone to more stones.  There's also intestinal pain that, for me, is because I've eaten too much.  More commonly I get it because I only get 80 to 90% of the stool out during my bowel program.  Not a big deal but it accumulates so, once in a while, I have to have two movements in the same day.  If I'm constipated for more than a couple days I get cold sweats too.  Trapped gas does the same thing ... pain = cold sweats.

Another thing I've had is when my kidney's are over worked or under stress.  Again, my bladder being too full can do this.  Drinking too much water/fuids can it too, but that one's harder to do.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.