#1 Cathelena

Cathelena

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 comp, C3 incomp

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

After a recent visit to my pain consultant he suggested to me to try ketamine in the form of a sterile nasal solution. I had never heard as this as a pain treatment before, only knowing that it was a some kind of horse tranquiliser and some people thought it was a good idea to use it recreationally.
I am at the stage where is will give anything a go for pain relief as i have been down through all the usual routes - gabapentin, pre-gabalin, oxycontin, oxynorm, tapentadol and the best effect i seem to get is that certain ones take the edge of the pain.
Anyway, im giving it a go (its only been a couple od days and i cant say i have noticed anything positive yet) and just wondered if anyone out there had tried this and what results they had had from it.

Cathelena

#2 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

not tried it, had a lidocaine infusion (drip) yesterday and now today I feel that the hypersensitive band of pain at the level of my injury is not as severe as it was.

neuropathic phantom type pain has not changed and muscular pain is still pretty bad after I drive. Not sure what I will be offered next but Sherbs mentioned a Ketamin infusion.

I hope it works well for you Cathelena, keep us updated
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#3 Cathelena

Cathelena

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Cheers Broc,

I will do. Wish there was some wonder drug for us all!!

#4 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12, wobbly walker
  • Injury Date:03-01-1993

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hi Cathelena

I had the Ketamine infusion, it worked well for about 8 hrs, and then it wore off. So the pain clinic decided that i could take home a vial of Ketamine and some syringes that i self injected into my tummy. I tried and tried this for about 2 weeks but nothing, so we gave up, but the infusion definitely helped, but of course i could not be stuck to the drip for rest of my life, but at least i had a go. I really really do hope it helps you. Keep us posted

Brockit,

I am so glad the lidocaine infusion has helped, unfortunately it did not for me. I am now on the morphine patches, which take the edge of the pain, and now have the morphine sublingual tablets to take as and when i need a top up. They do not help the neuro pain, but help a bit for the back stabbing pain.

So don't give up. I am wiling to try anything, literally

#5 Cathelena

Cathelena

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Sherbs,

What you said about the morphine patches is really interesting to me as part of my pain is a feeling that i am repeatedly being stabbed in the back. Maybe i should ask about this as, like most of us, im willing to try anything,

Cathelena

#6 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

I tried it ONCE! I had an office visit with pain management & they gave me the nasal spray thing; I remember saying good-bye to the secretary, and getting into the elevator, I didn't remember :poo: til I woke up in bed 7 hrs later. This was way back in 2002, so my (now EX) boyfriend & the nurse helped load me in & his friend helped him unload me once back to the apartment.

Have a better boyfriend now, & a better drug for ME.....marijuana.....recomended BY pain management.

Edited by wheeliebear75, 19 June 2012 - 09:08 PM.

*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#7 gchesman

gchesman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3-C4

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:08 PM

Cathelena, I haven't used Ketamine specifically for pain relief but I've experienced its effects. Like most pain remedies, it's a temporary solution and thus can be addicting. However, it does help to cut down on pain and can even give your mood a slight boost. Regardless, I hope you find comfort - living life with constant pain is not ideal. Good luck!
G. Chesman

#8 Cathelena

Cathelena

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Thanks Gchesman

#9 Cathelena

Cathelena

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

I tried it ONCE! I had an office visit with pain management & they gave me the nasal spray thing; I remember saying good-bye to the secretary, and getting into the elevator, I didn't remember :poo: til I woke up in bed 7 hrs later. This was way back in 2002, so my (now EX) boyfriend & the nurse helped load me in & his friend helped him unload me once back to the apartment.

Have a better boyfriend now, & a better drug for ME.....marijuana.....recomended BY pain management.

Oh my god! I dont suppose you remember the strength of the spray they gave you ?

#10 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12, wobbly walker
  • Injury Date:03-01-1993

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Cathelena

Maybe ask about the morphine patches, I was put on 5 mg to start, and to be honest I immediately had less pain in my back, it was such a good feeling that I actually cried because it gave me some relief, it just took the edge of the back pain. Anyway 1 yr. along I am now on 20 mg of morphine patch and this is helping, but I fear I will have this dose upped quite soon, as I think with morphine you have to up the dose regularly until you are on the highest does, saying that I know someone at work who is quite happy still on 5 mg.

3 months ago I went back to pain clinic and as I was having a good reaction to 20 mg morphine he gave me the sublingual tablets that you put under your tongue for a quick top up..

I am due back to see the pain consultant in 2 months time and will ask for the morphine to be upped once again, he is in favour of this as he knows I have struggled with debilitating pain for some 15 yrs. now and it is wearing me out. My Gp is also great, I can ring her and she will up the morphine there and then.

Good luck with your ketamine and please maybe have a think about the morphine.

Also Brockit - Have you tried the lidocaine patches, they are also available and you attach them to the site where the pain is, i.e. lower back, there are many reports that these help as well, and i think you can change them up to 3 times per day. so maybe ask or have a look into the lidocaine patches

Good luck to all searching for the miracle pain cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.