Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Sudden Increase In Spasms (Very Violent Ones)

spasm spasticity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jbridges9

jbridges9

• Closed Account
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 Sensory Incomplete
  • Injury Date:24-04-2012

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hia
I am a recent SCI T3 complete and had spasms about a month or so after injury And was put on 10mg Baclofen three times a day and they have been pretty calm since.

About 2 wks ago my spasms came back and got progressively worse over the next few days. We found out that I had a urinary tract infection and that was what was causing the spasms. I was put on an antibiotic and after a couple days the spasms subsided for the most part. Friday night my legs started spasming and on Saturday they became very bad, almost like when I had the infection.
I was still taking the antibiotic until last night.

I've checked for sores and other pain stimulus and nothing.U
no symptoms of still having the infectioaln either.

Also yesterday my nerve pain increased like I wasn't on medication for it. It has subsided mostly todsy but spasms have not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

Helping as to something that will make it go away......eh....so-so outcomes with "the right pain management system", what al lthat means for YOU I'm not sure. Scroll through the pain managment section & have a read as to some of the solutions ("band-aid" for a gunshot wound really) members use for pain & spasms & see if any of it works for YOU.

I have bounts here & there & sometimes it's just a matter of needing to lay down & get stretched & curled & stretched again, other times it's getting warm enough.

But you are far from alone in the frustration of dealing with it. :hug:
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#3 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

check your bowels and for ingrowing toe nails.

I get increased neuropathic pain and violent spasm if my bowels are sluggish and/or impacted. I have to take softeners and laxatives to keep things moving :(

My consultant told me, only last week actually, that a UTI can make bowels more sluggish than usual, as will antibiotics.
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#4 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

Before blurring the ground with mixed medications, I'd suggest you carefully observe your activities and keep checking your body for anything that might be triggering the spasm. It could be some particular food or drink, or lack of exercise or cushion problem, or wrong fitting shoes or room temperature or...or...

It can take years sorting out the subtilties of the behaviour of the SCI body. For instance, in the last few years my spasm has eased off quite noticeably. I've increased my physical activity but I think it more likely the result of meditations I was doing...then again I'm eating much better with lots of veggies. As I said, look for subtilties.

If it is upsetting you then maybe consider anxiety as a contributing cause. It can take a long time to sort out but finding your own solution rather than a quick-fix medication is a far better outcome without the burden of side-affects. Also, remember that spasm is exercising the muscle to maintain tone and pumping blood through your extremities.

Your doctor might like to consider kidney stones, broken bone, etc.

Good luck and if you find a solution let's shake on it.

Edited by nomis, 25 June 2012 - 11:13 PM.

• wheeliebear75 and YOUNGnLOVE like this

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#5 Scrappy

Scrappy

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hia
I am a recent SCI T3 complete and had spasms about a month or so after injury And was put on 10mg Baclofen three times a day and they have been pretty calm since.

About 2 wks ago my spasms came back and got progressively worse over the next few days. We found out that I had a urinary tract infection and that was what was causing the spasms. I was put on an antibiotic and after a couple days the spasms subsided for the most part. Friday night my legs started spasming and on Saturday they became very bad, almost like when I had the infection.
I was still taking the antibiotic until last night.

I've checked for sores and other pain stimulus and nothing.U
no symptoms of still having the infectioaln either.

Also yesterday my nerve pain increased like I wasn't on medication for it. It has subsided mostly todsy but spasms have not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if this has been said but stretching and good range of leg motion helps with spasms
SCRAPPY

#6 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,038 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

It is possible that the bug has already become antibiotic resistant. Get tested again! Given the reason for onset this is most most likely cause.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.