Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Blisters

feet blisters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tomsov

tomsov

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t12

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Having a definite issue. Since my injury I have been starting to get blisters on the heals of my feet. At first it was questionable as to what caused it. The consensus in my house was I was dragging my feet but I have to lift my feet to get around and it did not make sence. About 2 months ago I got a blister on my left foot. It had been about 9 months since my last blister and I attacked it like I always did. I had to pop it because It was continuing to get bigger. It took about two months to heal. Just as the blister on my left foot was done and healed I got one on my right foot. I popped that one too because that too was getting bigger. I started cleaning it regularly and covering it with tagaderm and triple antibiotic. I have had it clean and covered for the last 4 days and there has been no change in color, or has given any indication that it is infected. However last night I got another blister that I have not touched. The difference is now the location. Every other blister I have had has been on the inside part of my foot. This newest one is on the outside of the heal. about an inch away from the one that I have been treating. This is getting old. I have had no other issues besides this when it comes to skin issues. everything that could have been an issue was taken care of. I don't know what can be causing it or what to do to prevent it. Every time I move I physically lift my feet. they are covered all the time with either socks or shoes. I don't go bare foot. HELP!!!!!!!

#2 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

If this has been going on (as you indicate) about a year without you discovering what the cause is I doubt very much that our guessing is going to do much.

I've never heard of anyone persistently getting blisters on their heels so maybe it is something you are repetitively doing. You say you wear shoes and socks...are they loosely fitted? What material socks - avoid nylon and other synthetics? Do you need a different pair of shoes?
Check how your feet sit on the footrest of your chair. Is any pressure coming from the back?
Check what's happening to your feet when you get out of bed, shower, transfer, etc.
Are your feet at any time near anything heated - electric blanket or bottle in the bed, heated footrails, etc?

Something is causing it.
  • wheeliebear75 and brockit79 like this

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#3 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

have you bought new shoes of late? if not are you developing anything like drop foot which may alter the fitting of your shoes? new socks which may have caused an allergic reaction?

When I was 1st injured I had a blister on the lateral side of my 5th metatarsal head. How did I get it? I was advised to buy shoes a size bigger to allow ease of putting them on etc. Because the shoe was so big it was actually rubbing the area that was my 5th met head. The area of the shoe that came in to contact with it was where the shoe narrowed and was meant for the mid foot.

Now I am not talking 10 sizes bigger but 1 size. The fit of shoes will also differ between styles. So look to see if your shoes are too tight but also too loose.

B

to add, how you lie in bed. even bed clothes can cause tissue (skin) breakdown (blister)

Edited by brockit79, 13 July 2012 - 09:27 AM.

• wheeliebear75 likes this
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#4 Pieter

Pieter

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7-TII
  • Injury Date:16-10-1976

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I also experienced problems with blisters on the heals of my feet, and eventually discovered that it was due to me sleeping, and lying on my back. The cuase were the bed linen against the heal, and the skin of the heals are not very thick and prone to blisters, like an able person putting on a new pair of shoes, and within a half an hour of wearing it the blister appears.
To help me solve the problem I got some heal or ankle protectors from the pharmacy, it is a soft foam, covered with a medical wrapping, and has the form of your heal. I wear these when sleaping at night, and now only wear cotton socks, as the absorb any sweat from your feet.

O sorry I didn't mention that you wear the heal protectors with socks.

Hope this can be of an use for your problem.

#5 Edinburgh Colin

Edinburgh Colin

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,931 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3/4 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:07-05-2009

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

I don't suppose you twitch or spasm in bed?
foot against the sheets, foot against the other foot, heel against your shin etc, etc. strange as it may sound it won't take much if you are susseptible.
EC
Impossible only describes a problem that needs viewed from a different perspective

#6 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

too add re the bed issue, the best way to prevent this, if lying in bed or sheets are the cause, is to offload the pressure not add to it. Sleep with your legs on a pillow and ensure your feet and therefore heels are hanging off it.

If you wear a heel protector without offloading the pressure the heel protectors could potentially add pressure to the area.
  • wheeliebear75 likes this
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#7 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Also another thing it COULD BE....if when you transfer from say chair to car.....if you're pivoting on your heals.....that COULD cause some additional rubbing.
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#8 green

green

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:partial paraplegic
  • Injury Date:07-10-2000

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

have you seen doctor yet about blisters? i am having same issue with my mother. the blisters are coming from internal issues, not external issues. nerve ending issues i believe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feet, blisters

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.