Muskie

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 complete/ son

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi Guys,

We are going on vacation to Myrtle Beach. I want my son to wear shorts but he is afraid of his leg bag showing. Anybody have tips for hiding or disguising it?

Thanks,

K
I believe we have two lives...the life we learn with and the life we live with after that. Iris Gaines

#2 MTB John

MTB John

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6, Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-02-2010

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

I know a girl with a thing for skinny jeans.
She keeps her leg bag in a bag strapped to the back of her chair.
All you can see is a short section of the tube so it's fairly subtle.
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

#3 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm with your son,Muskie. I stopped wearing shorts when I started using a foley, myself. Just more trouble than it's worth,, just for a tan.

You could go with a lower capacity bag fastened crosswise on the upper thigh. Wouldn't even need the tubing,, just connect the foley to the bag. I've been considering it myself,, but for swimming trunks, not shorts. Haven't tried it yet,, tho I did get a small bag to try.

Always hard to get started with new things.
ed

#4 Dusted

Dusted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6/T7 w/TBI ASIA A
  • Injury Date:22-12-2007

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

I used to wear holister leg bags and would attach the elastic straps around my right leg on the outside of it from the top of the calf muscle and the lower a few inches above my ankle. With padded wraps around the leg tubes of the chair it was less obvious out of plain view. The main thing is learning your body and promptly emptying the bag. I learned to accept the bag as necessary and did not care what others thought of it. One time in an elevator at the mall a guy asked me what was in the bag. Of course there were two or three women inside the elevator, and at the time I was on my way to te bathroom as it had about 500cc in it. I just replied that it was full of the beer I drank over at Sammy's after lunch. You can wear sweat pants or place a blanket over the lap and try to hide it but none of that will make as much difference as helping him to accept wearing it as normal. Naturall as putting on socks or a pair of shoes. ICP intermittent self catheratization is the management I curretly use. That way you can go in the water! If you use a foley you can connect it to a bedside bag as there are pouches that mount on the rear push bar or you can mount it under the seat sling on the frame cross tubing. You can run the hose on the inside of the leg and under the chair to the underside bag or over the leg and hip and feed it thru the back rest to the bag mounted behind. Depends on his activity level and transfer options as well as who and how the bag is drained. The bedside bags can hold 1000cc to 4000cc which should last the day at the beach. I remember how at first it was a hassle always having to be weary of the bag, the hose, condom cath, drain spout and the cap on the end of the drain spout. After I started draining it myself things improved as it becme second nature and I stopped worrying about it. There are far more important things in life to focus on!
  • edlee, miKE25 and KaterinaWit like this

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.