Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Burned In Hot Tub

water burn hot water skin burn second degree burn third degree burn skin burned biobrane skin transplantation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dries

Dries

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete
  • Injury Date:07-08-2008

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

I feel very ashamed of this story, but I figured that even the best of us makes mistakes along the way.

I do feel the need to share this though, to help prevent someone else making the same mistake. By doing the least and checking the small things, big issues can be prevented. I was getting too never-minded and had to be reminded the hard way...

I've always liked my bath water very hot and steamy. After my accident everyone told me to be careful not to get burned, and I was careful. But, with time I got too used to not feeling my lower body. I got red when I sat in hot water, but I was red even on my arms and chest and I never got blisters or anything so I wasn't too concerned of getting burned.

So I was at my girlfriend's house, opened the tap and got undressed while waiting. She told me the water was boiling hot and i thought to myself I like it hot, not thinking that maybe it actually is boiling hot. The water at my house takes fairly long to heat up, so why should it be any different at her place?

The water wasn't very deep I just put my feet in as always and lowered myself in. When my hands touched the water I almost shat myself! The water was crazy hot! I hurled myself out the tub. I was in less than 30 seconds. when I looked at my feet, the skin started to peel off... I went to the nearest ER. They kept me there for three days. I sustained second and third degree water burns and possibly needed skin transplantation.

So after 6 weeks of Biobrane treatment and regular bandage replacing my feet are completely healed without skin transplant. The Biobrane is a synthetic skin that's put over the burns to stimulate natural skin growth underneath.

Now I have wicked scars on my feet. So always feel the temperature of the water before getting in!!

Attached Thumbnails

• First day1.jpg
  • First day 2.jpg
  • Second week1.jpg
  • Second week2.jpg
  • Third week1.jpg
  • Third week2.jpg
  • Fourth week1.jpg
  • Fourth week2.jpg
  • Six weeks1.jpg
  • Six weeks2 .jpg

• Baller95 likes this

#2 clk55pete

clk55pete

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 Complete
  • Injury Date:14-11-1978

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Bloody hell Dries!! That is scary and so works as a very good reminder to us all.

#3 NancyE

NancyE

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,593 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-01-2006

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Oh man that's horrid looking- but thanks for posting, I just got a lot more careful about water tempature.
Reality continues to ruin my life. - Calvin and Hobbes

#4 Spinner

Spinner

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Country:Mid Western United States (But I'm a California Girl)
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5 Complete/Wife
  • Injury Date:15-06-1990

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

Whenever we shower my husband is always super picky about the water temperature. He is always asking me to be sure not to point the sprayer toward his feet until he has touched the water with his hands to be sure it is a good temp. I admit it, I thought he was being paranoid and overly careful. Your story and the photos you posted proved otherwise. Thanks for sharing and i am glad you are healed!
"The reality of man is his thought, not his material body." Abdu'l Baha

#5 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

People, especially your friend, Dries, should make sure their water heaters are set at a temp that cannot do damage even if someone uses only hot. I know this is not always practical if one has high water usage on one heater, but consider it. On-demand heaters... everyone be vigilant.

#6 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12
  • Injury Date:29-04-1990

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

no kidding, that sure is some scary photos, but dang proud they could get u to heal that fast, sure could of been a different outcome........

#7 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

People, especially your friend, Dries, should make sure their water heaters are set at a temp that cannot do damage even if someone uses only hot. I know this is not always practical if one has high water usage on one heater, but consider it. On-demand heaters... everyone be vigilant.

Exactly. The water in most households here won't ever go above a scalding temperature.
But, maybe the water temp is kept hotter in colder climates to prevent the pipes from freezing over.

Thank for the tip when I go to the mountains . . . you never know.

Edited by qbounce, 16 August 2012 - 06:43 PM.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#8 lavenderthistle

lavenderthistle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6- Inc CCS/walker-hybrid
  • Injury Date:04-02-2011

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Dries! Holy heavens!! Thankfully you healed well :)

I often found myself in water too hot...a friend suggested a thermometer. I use a regular oral digital thermometer to take a reading before I get in. It's saved me from a few scrapes..umm scalds.
If an idiot speaks in an empty room, do they still sound dumb??

#9 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete(ly insane)
  • Injury Date:07-08-2007

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Holy hell man! That probably woulda hurt had you been able to feel it. That sucks. Hell of a crappy way to learn a leason. Looks like it healed up pretty decent, but still would prefer nobody had to deal with that kinda thing.

HANDICAPPED HOTRODS 2ND ANNUAL CAR SHOW

http://socialarchite...4?layout=single

#10 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 #PimpWithALimp
  • Injury Date:12-30-2011

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

Wow thanks for sharing. That's some scary stuff. My left side can't feel temp differences so gotta watch out....
  • nknight.92 likes this
Either you choose to be blessed to be cursed or cursed to be blessed. I choose to be blessed to be cursed. 

#11 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,456 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Here in the US,, there are regulations that don't allow residential water heaters from heating above 140 F,, which WILL give you blisters, by the way. And plumbers won't set them higher than 120 F when installing,, unless you sign a waiver. You have to remember what a litigious society we have here.

I know,, from my hot tub days,, that 103 F is pretty hot,, but I could get used to it,, but 106 was too hot for even that, for me,, so now,, I'm pretty careful about where I put my body parts.

Thanks Dries,, an important ,, and graphic,,,,reminder to us all.
ed

#12 Big D

Big D

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-dozen complete
  • Injury Date:04-01-2012

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

damn those pics are crazy. I got burned in my accident, burns are no joke. also remember when you're using your laptop computer on your lap to put it on a pillow (like I am right now), because those laptops can get pretty hot, and you don't want to burn your legs.

190px-Joe_Swanson2.png

Gimpin' ain't easy.

#13 Wolfpack513

Wolfpack513

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c7
  • Injury Date:22-07-2012

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

wow those pics are scary. great reminder
"Don't let what you can't do interfere with what you can do"

#14 Baller95

Baller95

Intermediate Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Admin Note: Deliberate Breaking of Forum Rules

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

That is scary indeed!! It's good you healed without a skin transplant. I always test the water with my good hand while showering before wetting where I can't feel as I also like warm-hot ish showers. We'll all get burned where we can't feel eventually lol but thanks for the heads up! +rep

Edited by Baller95, 01 October 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#15 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

I feel very ashamed of this story, but I figured that even the best of us makes mistakes along the way.

I do feel the need to share this though, to help prevent someone else making the same mistake. By doing the least and checking the small things, big issues can be prevented. I was getting too never-minded and had to be reminded the hard way...

I've always liked my bath water very hot and steamy. After my accident everyone told me to be careful not to get burned, and I was careful. But, with time I got too used to not feeling my lower body. I got red when I sat in hot water, but I was red even on my arms and chest and I never got blisters or anything so I wasn't too concerned of getting burned.

So I was at my girlfriend's house, opened the tap and got undressed while waiting. She told me the water was boiling hot and i thought to myself I like it hot, not thinking that maybe it actually is boiling hot. The water at my house takes fairly long to heat up, so why should it be any different at her place?

The water wasn't very deep I just put my feet in as always and lowered myself in. When my hands touched the water I almost shat myself! The water was crazy hot! I hurled myself out the tub. I was in less than 30 seconds. when I looked at my feet, the skin started to peel off... I went to the nearest ER. They kept me there for three days. I sustained second and third degree water burns and possibly needed skin transplantation.

So after 6 weeks of Biobrane treatment and regular bandage replacing my feet are completely healed without skin transplant. The Biobrane is a synthetic skin that's put over the burns to stimulate natural skin growth underneath.

Now I have wicked scars on my feet. So always feel the temperature of the water before getting in!!

JEEZ!!! :mfromg:

I'm guessing your feet were near the hotwater jets? :unsure: I've had blisters from the hot water jets on my ankle.....but not like THAT!!! I'm going to go out on a limb here & say that water was WAY TOO HOT! :eek: Whoever set up the temperature guage screwed up BIG TIME, because whether you can or can't feel your legs.....the water should never have been turned up so high that it COULD do damage like that! That's too hot for ANYONE! Even an AB even if not burning themselves could pass-out from the heat drastically raising/lowering BP. :nono:
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#16 Dries

Dries

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete
  • Injury Date:07-08-2008

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

It was normal tap water,the geyser temp was set on its highest. I shouldve felt it with my hands first.

funny thing bigD, I actually already burned myself with a laptop! nothing major. And I also burned myself with a cup of tea, I put it between my legs for a few seconds and it burned a small part on the one leg... I have to admit, I can be reckless. Sometimes you just forget that you can still hurt yourself even though you cant feel anything. But Im a lot more body conscious now...

#17 Kriket308

Kriket308

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 complete
  • Injury Date:23-08-2012

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Wow! That's crazy! I too have learned stupid lessons with hot things. 1.) What's not hot to the touch of your hand, may still be hotter than you think for the lower extremities that can't feel. I tested food out of the microwave on my hand, and thought it was okay, so set it on my lap. 45 seconds later, a blister appeared. 2.) A laptop can be dangerous. Got another leg blister from the heat of my laptop fan. 3.) Heating pads are Ill-advised. I thought I removed it from my back, but merely slid it under my butt. Got a 10 x 7 cm blistered burn on my ass. The more you know!

#18 jessicamccoy83

jessicamccoy83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4c5c6 incomplet quad
  • Injury Date:06-08-1997

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

Wow... I had the crap scared into me at rehab with those kinds of pictures. Have you ever thought of speaking to new sci in rehab's so they will hear it first hand?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water burn, hot water, skin burn, second degree burn, third degree burn, skin, burned, biobrane, skin transplantation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.