#1 Rekelection

Rekelection

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6
  • Injury Date:09-09-2010

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi I'm wondering what everybody thinks about an indwelling Foley catheter as opposed to the super pubic catheter? what's better? what's the difference?

#2 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /Friend of AB Cassie
  • Injury Date:10-07-81

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

Very Good question! I hope someone gives it a Good answer soon. Ty for asking it.
~Kill them with Kindness~

#3 Nicus

Nicus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

If you were able to walk a foley is your best bet as gravity does the work of getting everything out. With a supra pubic it has to work like using a hose to drain fuel out of a tank. They urine drains out but you run a bigger chance of getting bladder stones. I have a foley and I make sure I stand on knees to get everything out.

Edited by Nicus, 14 September 2012 - 11:22 AM.

I call a spade a spade so don't be surprised if it feels like a pitchfork coming your way.
http://www.alfanatic...nicus-schwartz/

#4 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

I don't know much about a suprapubic catheter, but I have used a foley and one of the biggest benefits I saw with it is that it could be removed. When I was in school or working full time, I didn't want to be like OMG! my bladder! right in front of a customer and then scurry away before the 10-second window of my bladder's capacity expired. My bladder goes from "I have no idea what's going on" to "OMG I;m gonna burst!" in 10 seconds... so this wasn't going to work well with a straight cath and bag.

I started putting the foley in every morning before work or school and took it out at night, bleach, rinse, repeat. I could reuse the catheters and bags about 10-15 times before the bleach started to deteriorate the rubber tubes. I straight cath now, but on long visits or meetings I want to make sure I have the convenience of a predictable bladder. I don't believe you can remove a suprapubic catheter, but I could be wrong. If you learn to insert the foley, inflate the balloon and the whole maintaining of it, that can be a good option for some because you aren't 100% dependent on it. Take it out when you want, leave it in if you need it. They're also not that expensive to maintain if your insurance won't purchase them regularly and pay out of pocket or partial payment.
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#5 greybeard

greybeard

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,547 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5 incl - Stenosis
  • Injury Date:21-03-2001

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

I never had or needed a cath of any type until surgery earlier in the year, when I woke up with a Foley. I discovered I had good sensation in my bladder and every time I moved it felt as thought the cath was being yanked out. It wasn't a pleasant sensation and I don't think I would ever get used to it. I decided there and then, that if I ever lost control of my bladder completely but retained sensation, I definitely would seek an alternative to the Foley.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;  Rage, rage against the dying of the light" 

[Dylan Thomas]

#6 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5, stand-n-shuffler
  • Injury Date:01-08-1998

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:56 AM

I never had or needed a cath of any type until surgery earlier in the year, when I woke up with a Foley. I discovered I had good sensation in my bladder and every time I moved it felt as thought the cath was being yanked out. It wasn't a pleasant sensation and I don't think I would ever get used to it. I decided there and then, that if I ever lost control of my bladder completely but retained sensation, I definitely would seek an alternative to the Foley.

I have sensation in my bladder and felt the tugging as well. The balloon, like, droops to the bottom and every twitch or spasm strains it. It doesn't hurt, but it just feels wrong. So, if the OP has bladder feeling, this may be one of the unpleasantries to consider.
3 doctors diagnosed me with hysterical paralysis (weee!), 1 diagnosed an incomplete T7, another T2 and the last (and most accurate) T5. Trampolines are BAD. Sleep is unpredictable. And never kiss strangers. Life has moved on.

#7 scaldedcat

scaldedcat

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 complete
  • Injury Date:02-11-2009

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:51 AM

I have no feeling in that area at all, so can't comment on the sensation side of it. But I had a foley for some time that worked well, but had numerous infections. My Dr's told me that the worst part of having the foley was that having it directly down through the penis was not good for any length of time because of the risk of infection. So I got the SPC and while I have still had a few infections, nothing like the amount I had with the foley. I also find it much more appealing just due to the fact that I no longer have anything stuck down my penis. The operation for the SPC is not large and I've never regretted my decision.

#8 MikeFatty

MikeFatty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12 / L-1 complete
  • Injury Date:02-15-2010

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

i ususally only use the Foley when on long trips and i know there will be no convenient way to cath myself. say long car rides or plane flights. having unexpected delays on the plane or heavy traffic on the freeway can be bad. i have had to cath into a water bottle on several occasions when i could tell my bladder was almost full. i have mild sensation of my bladder. i do like the foley. and the small 600 cc leg bag it works great. i have never heard of the suprapubic cath though. ill have to look into that.

#9 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /Friend of AB Cassie
  • Injury Date:10-07-81

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

I don't know !!
A Man made hole into the bladder with a foley catheter in it sounds like twice the chance of infections in twice as many spots. I've gone with a 16 Fr silicone coated ( cause its softer then all silicone ) Only when I had to. 26 years an external catheter user.
~Kill them with Kindness~

#10 iMADON

iMADON

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Quadri(Tetra)plegia
  • Injury Date:30-07-2003

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

I've been using an indwelling catheter for over 5 years, saves on stress and mess over intermittent. SPC sounds a bit extreme to me having a hole drilled into your lower abdomen.
It is better to climb the highest point and fall than never to fly at all.

#11 ratcheeseman

ratcheeseman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6
  • Injury Date:25-01-1989

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

I had a suprapubic cath for a year or so in the mid/late 90s it didn't seem to make much of a difference for me infection wise so I went back to using the condom caths. I have since changed to a full time Foley, again with little effect on the frequency of infections. However, because of my neurogenic bladder & the high pressures I was experiencing inside my bladder, I was having a huge problem with the infections backing up into my kidneys,even dammaging the left kidney to the point that it's function was down to 20%. Thankfully , switching to the Foley eliminated that problem completely & my kidney function is back to normal. Plus the benifeit that I no longer worry about the condom caths coming off or leaking & smelling like piss all the time! Huge plus! If you are using a Foley I would recomend the silver coated silicone, they are expensive but you only use one every three weeks or so & It's a worthwhile investment in your own health in my opiniion. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.