Rekelection

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Country - Town/City:Canada
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6
  • Injury Date:09-09-2010

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

hi i have had a horrible time with spasms and muscle tightness, my doctor has recently started to give me injections of botox in my muscles, i was wondering what people think of or have heard of this treatment, and if anyone out there is recieving the same thing??

#2 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • Country - Town/City:UK
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

I am to have botox in the bladder soon but not needed in my legs. Let us know how you get on and god luck!
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#3 MTB John

MTB John

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Country - Town/City:New Zealand
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6, Incomplete
  • Injury Date:19-02-2010

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Read the thread below, also use the search function and you will find more info..

Good luck.

http://www.apparelyz...tox#entry258309
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me, "Smile and be happy, things could be worse." So I smiled and was happy and behold things did get worse.

#4 darryl

darryl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-7 complete
  • Injury Date:18-06-1971

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

I was in the same position with spasm, went from good spasm to severe (due to neuropathy ), doc gave me two rounds of botox, 1200 and then 800 units, had no effect at all and ended up with a Baclofen pump a year later, and now that's coming out! can't win for losing, however every drug and or treatment modality effects everyone differently. Good luck

dk

#5 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Country - Town/City:America
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 #PimpWithALimp
  • Injury Date:12-30-2011

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

I've had it. Works like a charm.
Either you choose to be blessed to be cursed or cursed to be blessed. I choose to be blessed to be cursed. 

#6 Adil

Adil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Country - Town/City:USA
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

Botox in the legs did nothing for me. Botox in the bladder works well to stop all spasms including leg spasms. But this is in addition to the baclofen pump. I am trying to get off the pump. Too much drowsiness and muscle weakness.

#7 Endurance Rider

Endurance Rider

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Country - Town/City:United States
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 - L2 incomplete
  • Injury Date:14-07-2012

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, I am waiting on ins. Approval. I so need something for these spastic legs as it makes it painfully difficult or get on the toilet in a decent amount of time.

#8 Adil

Adil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Country - Town/City:USA
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I hear you. For me, i need three things to manage the spasms: 1) baclofen pump to relax muscles, 2) Botox to relax bladder, and 3) good diet to relax the bowel.

The baclofen pump works well on muscles but not so well on bladder spasms (at least not at the lower doses that work for muscles). Bladder spasms affect not only the bladder but also the rest of my body from T-8 down so I use Botox to relax my bladder (no side effect of constipation like ditropan). The third thing is to eat well to avoid constipation. Just like bladder spasms, bowel spasms affect my entire body from T-8 down. Eating foods that travel quickly through my body and do not bloat are the key.for me. I avoid gluten because it slows down my system and I avoid milk products because they create bloating. I use beano to relieve bloating when eating beans or other gassy foods.

I did not mention stretching. But I think everyone knows that.

After 28 years, I have found the solutions.that work for me. I hope you find your solutions. Just remember that the causes of leg spasms may be more than just one thing and so they may require more than just one solution.

Edited by Adil, 18 January 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#9 Endurance Rider

Endurance Rider

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Country - Town/City:United States
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 - L2 incomplete
  • Injury Date:14-07-2012

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Very interesting and thank you. Now this may sound dumb but what do bladder spasms feel like?

#10 Farfelle

Farfelle

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Neurological
  • Injury Date:N/a

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I get Botox in the neck and shoulder and have had good results although it wears off between treatments

Bladder spasms for me
Tight painful squeezing knotting rippling movements then pee dripping PAIN
Good luck
  • Endurance Rider likes this

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.