CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4 & below/ D incomplete
  • Injury Date:26-01-2002

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

I've been searching and searching for MONTHS on every website I could find to find an affordable comfy wheelchair. I have never had a nice one and I really feel like it's something I've been missing out on. Unfortunately, all the ones I would want (TiLite, Colours, Per4Max, etc) are way too expensive.
I found one on ebay, a Per4Max, but unfortunately when it arrived it was too small. My measurements were off.
So.
I started writing emails to donation companies asking for resources. I got a letter back this morning from a wonderful company who directed me to a WONDERFUL company. And 5 minutes ago I finished placing my order for a comfy all-terrain wheelchair. So I will be able to get around in the snow this winter and not be scared of being trapped.

rr_1_profile.jpg

Here's the website:

http://www.whirlwindwheelchair.org/

And here's a YouTube video of it in action:

http://youtu.be/GthyKx2BEug

I feel like crying. I will finally have a wheelchair that's made for me. One that doesn't fall apart or isn't too heavy. I've had wheelchairs LITERALLY fall apart with me in them, sending me crashing awkwardly to the ground in a mess of wheels, metal poles and pissed-off-ness. All because Medicare will not cover anything but Walgreens-type wheelchairs that weigh 30lbs and cause more pressure sores than being dragged behind a moving vehicle for sixty miles. FRUSTRATING! The one I have now I bought on Amazon for a few hundred bucks and about a month ago, as I went to lock the wheels to use the bathroom, the brakes FELL OFF in my hand. fell off. FELL OFF!
Sorry, I got a bit emotional there. Anyways. If you've had trouble affording a nice wheelchair for yourself, I hope you'll use these guys. It was about $700.

XOXO
Caryl Anne

Edited by CarylAnne, 22 September 2012 - 06:00 PM.

• LuLu2 likes this
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#2 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

nice one caryl-anne,

i am wondering whether this is a worldwide rganisation as a member in india was having problems. i am waiting for a colleague of mine who speak his language to come back off holiday so that i can look in to helping him more.
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#3 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

nice one caryl-anne,

i am wondering whether this is a worldwide rganisation as a member in india was having problems. i am waiting for a colleague of mine who speak his language to come back off holiday so that i can look in to helping him more.

hey! it's absolutely a worldwide thing. they ship these ALL over! hope it helps him! :)
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#4 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

nice one caryl-anne,

hey! it's absolutely a worldwide thing. they ship these ALL over! hope it helps him! :)

thank you caryl anne :) , this is a help to know as once i have found out his measurements i can put the info to use!
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#5 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

awesome!! :) happy to help!
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#6 Baller95

Baller95

Intermediate Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Admin Note: Deliberate Breaking of Forum Rules

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

This is surely all terrain but probably not so affordable! :P

https://40kintheuk.f...air_resized.jpg
  • myshoeisonfire likes this

#7 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

This is surely all terrain but probably not so affordable! :P

https://40kintheuk.f...air_resized.jpg

lol YEAH. I've seen that one-- it's like $7k or something else LUDICROUS haha -- it would be super fun though. I feel like if I was in that I wouldn't have to tell my daughter more than once to do her chores lmao
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#8 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5,6.7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-08-2003

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm glad you found an off road chair that you like! I've never looked back since I went with an off road chair, they work great indoors too. I have a great time going off steps, curbs and even small flights of stairs with mine. I have an indoor/street chair, never been back in it since I got my off road chair :)
Holy crip I'm a crapple!!!

#9 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

I'm glad you found an off road chair that you like! I've never looked back since I went with an off road chair, they work great indoors too. I have a great time going off steps, curbs and even small flights of stairs with mine. I have an indoor/street chair, never been back in it since I got my off road chair :)

Cool! What kind do you have?? In my cheap, unpadded invacare i've gone off road a lot too. it's been suuuuper hard lol. I can't wait til I get this one!
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#10 darlagee22

darlagee22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-11/12
  • Injury Date:09-07-2003

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Anyone know how the front castors on this one compare to attaching a "freewheel" (which lifts up the front castors and puts the weight on one bigger wheel) I have that & it was $500.
Living through grief, disability and pain...and finding the joy.
http://laughwithmecrywithme.com/

#11 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

Cool! What kind do you have?? In my cheap, unpadded invacare i've gone off road a lot too. it's been suuuuper hard lol. I can't wait til I get this one!

Both my chairs are TiLite, the off-road one here is the one I like the best. It rolls over/off everything I've dared try so far, even got clocked going down hill at 35mph on the street by a cop. :)

524056_293337237418825_100002276529408_626481_487314498_n.jpg

#12 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

that is a bad ASS w/c dude! can you send me the link for the tilite product page? or just tell me which one it is? would you ever sell your street one?

Anyone know how the front castors on this one compare to attaching a "freewheel" (which lifts up the front castors and puts the weight on one bigger wheel) I have that & it was $500.

ive wanted to get the freewheel too, but the casters on the whirlwind are so damn thick, it might not be necessary. as soon as i get mine, i'll let ya know how it does! hopefully it gets here soon! :)
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#13 cruiserkb

cruiserkb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:MS transverse myelitis

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

Looks like a great concept. If the weight was less it might be a contender, but at 45.5lbs it would be a nightmare for me to get it into my unmodified van. I have enough time with my chair weighing 25 lbs now. I like the part that if you buy one they will make a second one from a developing contry for someone else to use at no cost to them.

#14 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Looks like a great concept. If the weight was less it might be a contender, but at 45.5lbs it would be a nightmare for me to get it into my unmodified van. I have enough time with my chair weighing 25 lbs now. I like the part that if you buy one they will make a second one from a developing contry for someone else to use at no cost to them.

I knowww! I have buff arms, hopefully they're buff enough to lift that heavy sumbitch into the back seat of my truck! :)
Yeah this is a FABULOUS organization! These people are saints! :) I'm looking to spreading the word as much as I possibly can to get support for the cause.
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#15 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

that is a bad ASS w/c dude! can you send me the link for the tilite product page? or just tell me which one it is? would you ever sell your street one?

ive wanted to get the freewheel too, but the casters on the whirlwind are so damn thick, it might not be necessary. as soon as i get mine, i'll let ya know how it does! hopefully it gets here soon! :)

There is no product page that has this one on it. It started life as a TiLite TR, but it was custom made to my specs and after two months of going back and forth with the CAD guys at TiLite, and another month of waiting for them to build it, I got it. Its a rigid frame, and its right at 37 lbs when the wheels are on it. I drive an extended cab pickup, and it fits easily behind the drivers seat, once I pop the wheels off, and fold the seat down. The frame is 1" titanium tubing, and that makes it very strong and light. I do have a TR street model, its nothing like this one, the front wheels are smaller and don't extend out like this one either. But it is a titanium rigid frame, and has dust and spider webs on it since its been out in the garage for over a year.

#16 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

There is no product page that has this one on it. It started life as a TiLite TR, but it was custom made to my specs and after two months of going back and forth with the CAD guys at TiLite, and another month of waiting for them to build it, I got it. Its a rigid frame, and its right at 37 lbs when the wheels are on it. I drive an extended cab pickup, and it fits easily behind the drivers seat, once I pop the wheels off, and fold the seat down. The frame is 1" titanium tubing, and that makes it very strong and light. I do have a TR street model, its nothing like this one, the front wheels are smaller and don't extend out like this one either. But it is a titanium rigid frame, and has dust and spider webs on it since its been out in the garage for over a year.

I do the same with my w/c! I have an extended cab and I sit in the drivers seat, and lift the w/c into the space behind my seat. SO convenient! :) I can't imagine doing it any other way - 10 years and it's still workin just fine :)
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#17 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9 incomplete

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I went to your website and read most of it must say that am impressed with what you've accomplished since your accident. Hats off to you.
LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!

Regards

Marty

#18 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Very happy for you and only a bit envious. got my freewheel to sleep with at night. Thanks for sharing your happiness.

#19 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

Very happy for you and only a bit envious. got my freewheel to sleep with at night. Thanks for sharing your happiness.

haha well i'm envious of your freewheel -- so rest peacefully :)

I went to your website and read most of it must say that am impressed with what you've accomplished since your accident. Hats off to you.

I agree! You're a bad ass! :)
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#20 papa_wheelie

papa_wheelie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6-7 Admin Note: Inappropriate behaviour with female members
  • Injury Date:06-08-1976

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

Wow. Really Kool!

#21 darlagee22

darlagee22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-11/12
  • Injury Date:09-07-2003

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

Thanks Marty. Encouragement has helped keep me going. I love your quote on your signature!
And BTW I LOVE my Freewheel! But I make it sleep in the car.
Living through grief, disability and pain...and finding the joy.
http://laughwithmecrywithme.com/

#22 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

Having a all Terrain Wheelchair really makes life so much more freer and enjoyable.
Great for back road trails when having to go over roots, rocks or pot holes.. For swimming in lakes, just ride the chair into the water about seat hight and just lift yourself into the water; is so easy. Getting back in is easy becasue the water makes you a lot lighter. The only difficulty is getting back onto shore as there is always a incline from the water to shore, pushing back to the beach and wheel either sliding on the rocks or sinking a little in the sand. But with the front wheels bigger and wider they tend to just roll over the sand. Back wheels well that's a different story but can be done.

Attached Thumbnails

• 267400_10151891430885476_791691155_n.jpg

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!

Regards

Marty

#23 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Having a all Terrain Wheelchair really makes life so much more freer and enjoyable.
Great for back road trails when having to go over roots, rocks or pot holes.. For swimming in lakes, just ride the chair into the water about seat hight and just lift yourself into the water; is so easy. Getting back in is easy becasue the water makes you a lot lighter. The only difficulty is getting back onto shore as there is always a incline from the water to shore, pushing back to the beach and wheel either sliding on the rocks or sinking a little in the sand. But with the front wheels bigger and wider they tend to just roll over the sand. Back wheels well that's a different story but can be done.

What w/c do you have?? im in LOVE with those massiive front wheels!
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#24 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hi Caryl Anne,

Here is the make of the chair: http://www.motioncon.../terratrek.html

Regards

Marty

#25 CarylAnne

CarylAnne

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hi Caryl Anne,

Here is the make of the chair: http://www.motioncon.../terratrek.html

HOLYMOLY! Those are badass but how did you afford that??? Thats highway robbery!! (if highway robbery still existed haha)
XOXO
Caryl Anne

#26 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hi Caryl Anne,

I know they are expensive, but there's not much we can do about it. It seems when it comes to sports or anything out of the norm for people in chairs, the price is way over priced. Like you say it's Highway robbery.
  • CarylAnne likes this

Regards

Marty

#27 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:45 AM

Yeah, I can get into the water just fine with my chair, except the thing likes to float away when I get out of it because of air in the tires! :)

#28 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

Yes I know what you mean rollingtrouble. Even though the chair weighs a ton, when going a little to deep in the water the chair will start to float. Can be fun when this happens while trying to keep you balance without the chair going back words and the cushion floating away, while at the same time trying to get yourself out from underneath the chair.. And if there are waves it's just a blast.

Regards

Marty

#29 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

From what I saw on the vid....seems most of the "off-roading" was done with wheelies.....which doesn't really need a different chair per-say. Some god knobby tires + some front wheels like Texan's does & I think you'll find you can go more places. How are your wheelie skills? :seehearspeak:
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#30 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,877 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete(ly insane)
  • Injury Date:07-08-2007

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

I need 1 of these

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wheelchair, wheelchairs, all-terrain, off-road, inexpensive, affordable, whirlwind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.