Photo
- - - - -

Do People Who Are Paralyzed, Get Massages On The Extremities That Are Paralyzed? I.e. Do Paraplegics Get Their Legs Massaged?

i.e. do paraplegics get there

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hotwheelsinSD

hotwheelsinSD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12/L-1 Inc. / Married

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

I am signing up for Massage Envy, where you get a massage a month for a good price and if you get a second massage that month, it is discounted at a very good price. I was wondering if people get their lower limbs massaged? And also, the therapist was massaging my lower back and glutes, she was using a deep tissue method, where it was at that good pain threshold, and I could feel like a warmness come over my legs and it actually felt good for a while. But than I find I am really sore the next day! Does anybody have any tips or ideas on massages? Or any storeis whether good or bad?

#2 Priscilla

Priscilla

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11-S2 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:05-06-2011

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

I get deep tissue massages frequently (though I had to stop after I had back surgery for the time being). I do not have any feeling in my lumbar region of my back because of paralysis. But I can tolerate the massages okay. Have never had any unusual soreness afterward, however my massage therapist did tell me to keep chugging the water for the rest of the day. You are about at the same level as me, and I just take sips of water because i suffer from urinary incontinence so it is a fine line of what works for you and what doesn't. Talk to your masseuse about the soreness the next day and see if they have any ideas to prevent it in the future. Good luck!
A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.
-Christopher Reeve

#3 Baller95

Baller95

Intermediate Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Admin Note: Deliberate Breaking of Forum Rules

I do get my legs massages sometimes and I think it's a really good thing to do! Even though I can't move em at all and fell much, it's still important to take care of em IMO.

#4 Anna16

Anna16

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2

A lot of people get medical massages, like lymphatic for drainage in their legs. I had it done before, and while I could only feel light pressure where she touched, my body reacted and I felt a calmness come over me. I really enjoyed it. As long as the massage therapists knows about your injury and know how to work with it, I don't see a problem. I think they're very beneficial physically, as well as mentally.
  • Baller95 likes this
You want to be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling

#5 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

It can help the circulation in our legs.

If you have neuropathy then that will make it trickier but it's still "doable".....you'll just need to find A massuse who is a bit more patient & willing to try different techniques on ya.

If you have any "hardware" or MAJOR owie spots on your spine let them know that ahead of time.

GOOD LUCK! :cheers:
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#6 Zack

Zack

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 /Friend of AB Cassie
  • Injury Date:10-07-81

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

Having a SCI it would be wise to ask for yearly ultrasounds of your legs to check for Blood clots that could get dislarged by a Massage!

~Kill them with Kindness~

#7 Ratticis

Ratticis

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete(ly insane)
  • Injury Date:07-08-2007

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

Last time I had a massage was over 8 year ago, back when I was working 16+ hours a day, 7 days a week. After we were done with about 100 head jobs in a month (which I could knock off alone in less than 8 hours, but usually we worked in tandom for a job like that and would finish in 6. When we were finally done with that and tingsslowed down for a bit I decided to go ahead and use that "Free Full Body Massage" at a spa in town that my mom got me fer christmas (Which was 6 months earlier). Was pretty relaxed after, but was pretty stiff the next day. And that's back when I could use my legs for more than just holding my pants on.

HANDICAPPED HOTRODS 2ND ANNUAL CAR SHOW

http://socialarchite...4?layout=single

#8 nknight.92

nknight.92

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L2 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:21-07-2012

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

I personally lightly massage my legs to help with my spasms. They had to put me on Baclofen again for them.

I dunno about deep tissue massage... I know my PT stretches all my muscles out, even the ones in my shoulders, back, & arms! It feels awesome & I'm not sore afterwards.

#9 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 #PimpWithALimp
  • Injury Date:12-30-2011

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

There not gna charge you half price if your a complete para so might as well. Plus if your deaf wouldn't u still clean your ears lol
Either you choose to be blessed to be cursed or cursed to be blessed. I choose to be blessed to be cursed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.