Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Feet Pain

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Christoff31

Christoff31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-c5
  • Injury Date:28-07-2006

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Just wondering if anyone out there has serious pain in there feet.. Do u get pain in the arch of there feet

#2 Tatiana

Tatiana

Intermediate Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:CES/ T12/ incomplete
  • Injury Date:16-03-2011

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

yes, i do....and it annoys me no end ! :ohmy:

#3 bucks225

bucks225

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/ C7 inc
  • Injury Date:29-04-2007

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

I get it too, just my left foot though. Stretching it out at night usually helps, by stretching back from my toes and holding, and repeating a few times.

#4 Wobbly

Wobbly

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 c6/7 and l5/s1 inc
  • Injury Date:06-02-2008

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Yep I get this one, I get

Knife stabbing pain top of left foot all the time no particular trigger
Tightness around both ankles that needs stretching out, especially first thing in the morning or if I've been walking
Bruise like pain in the arches again after walking
Cramping of toes any time no particular trigger

When life gives you lemons reach for the gin and tonic

#5 Tatiana

Tatiana

Intermediate Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:CES/ T12/ incomplete
  • Injury Date:16-03-2011

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Def..stretching and massage helps

The pain affects my walking/standing so its a pain in the ass

My feet are mostly numb and yet they have the most burning/nerve/deep pain than anywhere else. I get that feeling of ants under the skin every few seconds and im used to that now.

Ive figured that my brain has decided that my feet must be many degrees warmer than they actually are....i have major temp probs with them so they are normally ice cold or if they happen to get warmed up then they go hot red and burn....

strange indeed! :dunno:

Edited by Tatiana, 20 October 2012 - 11:59 AM.

• Mojoking likes this

#6 Mojoking

Mojoking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-6
  • Injury Date:21-12-2007

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

I get sharp stabbing pains in right foot and leg and muscle weakness along with severe cramping around the ankle...When that happens I can put no weight on the foot..Feet and legs are constantly numb and burning though..Right leg is half the size of left..Atrophy?....

#7 Wobbly

Wobbly

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

My feet are mostly numb and yet they have the most burning/nerve/deep pain than anywhere else. I get that feeling of ants under the skin every few seconds and im used to that now.

Ive figured that my brain has decided that my feet must be many degrees warmer than they actually are....i have major temp probs with them so they are normally ice cold or if they happen to get warmed up then they go hot red and burn....

That describes my feet perfectly especially the ice cold / burning hot. In fact, the room I'm in at the minute is toasty warm but feet are like ice blocks even in socks, yet outside I can wear flip flops in the winter and they are still warm....bizarre

Did anyone else notice that most of the immediate responses to this came from c5/6/7 incompletes?
  • Mojoking likes this

#8 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

i first noticed pain in my right foot only weeks in to my injury, it felt like all of my weight was driving the heel in to the ground. Thankfully that went and now I get ice cold/burning hot/intense pins and needles as well as lightening bolts in my toes.

i take 50mg amitriptyline 6pm and pregabalin 150mg 10pm and i have a lidocaine infusion every few months which takes the edge off it.

I get an ache in my left knee and over the prominance of my left ischial tuberosity/ sitting bone
Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#9 NancyE

NancyE

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-01-2006

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

My feet burn like hell, with cold fire. I know, makes no sense. If I wear thick cloth slippers to bed, it helps sometimes.
Reality continues to ruin my life. - Calvin and Hobbes

#10 woodrow6k6

woodrow6k6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T1&T2
  • Injury Date:05-20-1994

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

my right ankle hurts all the time i fractured it in 2003 i think not sure sometime around that year hasnt stoped hurting sence.

#11 joejoe

joejoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 incomplete
  • Injury Date:21-12-2010

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

I get pain very badly when sitting for too long. It start with burning pain in both feet and hands, then the whole legs and arms. I do get bruise-like pain a lot just like Wobbly described but all over my legs and arms. Joints in my hands and feet ache sometimes like I banged them against a wall. I sometimes have "neuropathic" knifes through my feet which hurt when stepping on it and get regular finger "surgery" :wink05: when it feels as if I had metal rods through my left thumb and index.

I tried Gabapentin, but things got totally out of control then with needles on my arms and stabbing pain through my abdomen, sometimes going right through my anus. Around that time I had a lot of back pain and I still think a disc bulge might cause this. Since then I am also strangely hypersensitive and touching something a bit harder can leave a strong, almost painful sensation for minutes. For example unzipping my pants felt for a few minutes as if I scratched my fingers over concrete.

Does your pain affect your ability to work?
I can't manage a lot of work, but some OTs and doctors are not understanding at all. An OT thought I'd be able to work full-time...

#12 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12, wobbly walker
  • Injury Date:03-01-1993

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

That describes my feet perfectly especially the ice cold / burning hot. In fact, the room I'm in at the minute is toasty warm but feet are like ice blocks even in socks, yet outside I can wear flip flops in the winter and they are still warm....bizarre

Did anyone else notice that most of the immediate responses to this came from c5/6/7 incompletes?

Sounds just like my feet too, especially the left foot, it is either burning red hot and looks very hot, or freezing cold and looks blue.

Very strange this SCi malarky !!

#13 Christoff31

Christoff31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-c5
  • Injury Date:28-07-2006

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

I've tried everything like gabapentin amytriptoline,ibuprofen,tramadol, paracetamol I was gonna try acupuncture has anyone else given it a go thanks for Ur replys

#14 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,888 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

My chiropractor makes my left foot feel a lot better. The left side sags and puts unbalanced pressure on that ankle and foot. For the first 2 years I felt my arch was falling and that is the way the weight was traveling to my foot. The more I use the muscles in my feet for balance, the more they get weird cramps.

Perhaps a lot of you incompletes answered this thread because your mobility puts pressure on the feet in a way they were not designed for? Another hypothesis is that some of the pain comes from the fact our muscles are too weak to support our weight properly.

#15 joejoe

joejoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

Perhaps a lot of you incompletes answered this thread because your mobility puts pressure on the feet in a way they were not designed for? Another hypothesis is that some of the pain comes from the fact our muscles are too weak to support our weight properly.

I sometimes wonder whether completes experience the same magnitude of pain? If you can't feel a part of your body at all, can you still get nerve pain there? So maybe pain is the curse of incompletes: the nerves are sort of working, but are way too hypersensitive and go crazy very easily.

The nerve pain I have is actually less related to exercise or moving, but more to neck movement at the site of the injury. I can induce burning pain in my legs by bending my neck. It used to drive up spasticity madly as well. I was and still am very nervous about this. The doctors think it is simply nerve pain and are not worried as the MRI scan shows nothing obvious. But they cannot really explain why it is triggered by certain neck movements.

Does anybody else experience nerve pain particularly when moving the neck? Are your nerves peaceful in the morning or when lying down and get angry with movement during the day?

I've tried everything like gabapentin amytriptoline,ibuprofen,tramadol, paracetamol I was gonna try acupuncture has anyone else given it a go thanks for Ur replys

I tried acupuncture around the neck and arms, but didn't feel an effect other than the needle hurting. It depends on the patient, so worth a shot? Neck exercises and postural training helped me much more at one point. There are also lots of other medications you could try, e.g. pregabalin (similar to gabapentin), duloxetine etc.

#16 skeetie

skeetie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6-T1 incomplete
  • Injury Date:18-01-2008

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

iI have just been reading thru the forum and saw this. Yes you are right,I am a c6/7 inc and have the same
problems with my feet. my neuropathy is from shoulders thru feet ,but feet and hands are by far the hardest to deal
with.<3 to all my sisters and brothers with sci

#17 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,888 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

I sometimes wonder whether completes experience the same magnitude of pain?
My sense is they report more. Even ABs have more pain when they do not move about much. Lack of circulation = pain.

If you can't feel a part of your body at all, can you still get nerve pain there? I guess completes and incompletes get nerve pain sometimes for different reasons.

The nerve pain I have is actually less related to exercise or moving, but more to neck movement at the site of the injury. I can induce burning pain in my legs by bending my neck. It used to drive up spasticity madly as well. I was and still am very nervous about this. The doctors think it is simply nerve pain and are not worried as the MRI scan shows nothing obvious.
Another dumb :seehearspeak: conclusion. I cannot see it, therefor it does not exist...

#18 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9 incomplete

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

Welcome to the dreaded phantom pain syndrome. I myself also get the burning feet condition. I find by stretching the hips, back, legs and feet regularly along with visits to the chiropractor really helps a great deal in relieving this problem. I think what Tetracyclone said is very true. More than likely it is the incomplete person that feels these phantom pains. With a partially broken spine, the path in which our neurons send signals from our brain to the rest of our body parts, send a flicker like signal( like flicking light from a bad connection) causes these negative sensations(stabbing pain, tingling, burning etc, etc) to occur... Plus with all the sitting we do, this also causes a great deal of stress and strain on our spinal nerves. This is where seeing a Chiropractor can really help. I know as I’ve been going to one for now about twenty plus years. Also keep in mind by going regularly, it will also relieve spasms.
I know some people are thinking that by going to one, it would cause more damage where the injury happened. That is so far from the truth. What they do is work around the damaged area.
LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!

Regards

Marty

#19 Wobbly

Wobbly

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

I dont just get feet pain, but I just answered that point as that what was asked. as for the neck - all my pain levels increase when my neck is stiff including the feet.

Yesterday I was walking into a shop and the slight undulation caused my legs to completely crumble as if theyd lost power. i have full motor power so this was a first for me ....I couldnt get back up for a minute until helped, I felt such an arse ��

#20 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

That would have been an awkward. I would have felt the same. Were you with someone or did you have to wait until a stranger came buy to give you a helping hand?
LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!

Regards

Marty

#21 Wobbly

Wobbly

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Thankfully I was with a very understanding work colleague but the shop was a coffee shop full of London city types :-(

#22 sherbs

sherbs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12, wobbly walker
  • Injury Date:03-01-1993

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

I dont just get feet pain, but I just answered that point as that what was asked. as for the neck - all my pain levels increase when my neck is stiff including the feet.

Yesterday I was walking into a shop and the slight undulation caused my legs to completely crumble as if theyd lost power. i have full motor power so this was a first for me ....I couldnt get back up for a minute until helped, I felt such an arse ��

Wobby

This has happened to me many times, for what seems no reason at all, my legs just go from underneath me and i hit the deck. !!

#23 jessestuber

jessestuber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Monoplegic
  • Injury Date:17-05-2005

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

My left foot has started to kind of curl on my pinky toe side, when I wear a shoe it feels painfull, Sensation without movement, short end of the stick. I have wondered about actually getting my foot cut off. I have extreem pain in my foot, and also I am dealing with foot drop. I wonder if it would be easier to move around If I got it removed and had a more flexibe replacement kinda hardwired onto my leg.

#24 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

I sometimes wonder whether completes experience the same magnitude of pain? If you can't feel a part of your body at all, can you still get nerve pain there? So maybe pain is the curse of incompletes: the nerves are sort of working, but are way too hypersensitive and go crazy very easily.

because different types of nerve fiber transmit different types of messages/signals which are responsible for different sensations. I am complete but have horrendous neuropathic pain that I am on all kinds of meds for.

I think there are different types of nerve pain all with different eitiology; nerve root; nerve entrapment; phantom etcetera. People do assume that folks with complete injuries don't get pain. This is just not true for everyone.
  • Wobbly likes this

#25 MadCookie

MadCookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 Incomplete

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

I only got pain on my left foot outer side, it´s not always bad but when it is, it annoys the hell out of me. I can feel this "buzzing" or smth like that 24/7 but its not often actually painful. Sometimes it even feels kinda nice :P like someone pulling a tight woolen sock off my foot or these small electric "waves" move under the skin up and down... Sometimes the pain also moves into my heel or in my 2 smaller toes. I haven´t still found any regularity or anything that triggers the pain, it just comes and goes as it wishes :dunno:

#26 Wobbly

Wobbly

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

I keep being told about chiropracters to help with the pain, but was worried that the manipulation theyd do would damage my cord more? I cant forget a physio trying to click my neck round (before i knew about the bone growth in my neck) to "cure" my shoulder pain...it was after that i started falling all the time, are chiros / osteos safe?

Edited by Wobbly, 27 October 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#27 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

I keep being told about chiropracters to help with the pain, but was worried that the manipulation theyd do would damage my cord more? I cant forget a physio trying to click my neck round (before i knew about the bone growth in my neck) to "cure" my shoulder pain...it was after that i started falling all the time, are chiros / osteos safe?

Who is telling you about Chiropractors? If I were you I would be asking whether it is recommended for people with spinal cord injury.

Pre injury I was a convert to Bowen Technique, look it up. It is far gentler and thus less risky than chiropractic manipulation IMO. Pre injury I was never comfortable with cracking and clicking my neck especially. There is a type of osteopathy called cranial osteopathy that doesn't involve touching the spine at all.

I think what chiropractic manipulation is supposed to do is move the bones to relieve nerve entrapment/soft tissue compression??? but if the pain is a result of damage to the spinal cord itself then it would be futile? IDK, have a consultation but I doubt that any chiropractor would agree to do it if you have already broken your neck. I used to suffer neck pain and by far the best was Bowen Technique. The local practitioner for me was David Howells, the best in the country. Google and find your nearest.
  • Wobbly likes this

#28 joejoe

joejoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

A single sample may not be representative:
I've actually met a patient in a spinal cord injury center - she had a disc problem and had her neck manipulated by a chiropractor. The disc popped out - and she was paralyzed.
On the other hand, I've seen a chiro or osteo here in London before my SCI but after my disc problem in the neck. He was not happy at all to do a lot on my neck and was very gentle. Nothing happened, but it also didn't help.

#29 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

Yes I've heard of Bowen Technique. My dad did it for a few sessions. He said that it did help, but ended up going back to the chiropractor. He seems to get better results with chiro. The thing with chiropractors is that they all do not use the same techniques. The one my wife goes to for example, he uses this clicker type tool. He does not adjust the spine. As with mine he uses the clicker on the neck and the rest of the spine, except the area where it is fused. My break is at the t9 level. So he does above that and below. He then works the hips. When session is done my legs feel like rubber and there is no stiffness what so ever in the legs.

I'm not sure about anybody else, but when I'm in the dentist chair I tense up like rock, which causes my spasms to act up. The last thing you want is your legs to jumping when they are working on your teeth. So I see my chiro. before seeing the dentist. When I'm in the chair the legs are nice and lose with no spasms what so ever... So I guess to make a long story short, it all depends on what you feel comfortable with when dealing with your spine. My only suggestion is read up on the different types of techniques and if you find something that you think might work, well make an appoint and talk with them first to see what they have to offer.

Regards

Marty

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.