My husband just got a colostomy back in May and we LOVE it!!!! At first, I was soooo hesitant! The thought of it disgusted me and was just so weird to me. Now, we will never go back to our old bowel program!!
1. No laxatives, no magic bullet or Enemeez - nothing anymore!!!!! Absolutely nothing.
2. No irrigation. I forget why people irrigate, I just know it is not needed in my husband's situation.
3. I don't know about training it to move on schedule, but my husband has started noticing that he tends to go at the same time every day. Medicare pays for him to have a bag a day, so he changes his bags pretty often. It hasn't been very noticeable under his shirts either.
4. My husband pretty much just goes at anytime.
5. For my husband, he goes a little bit every couple of hours. He has no problem at night time. The bags can hold quite a bit. So, if he does go, there is always still plenty of room in the bag for more.
6. No odor problems. The bags come with vents on them which helps with the odor. The ONLY time he has odor is if something is wrong with the flange. (if it's coming unstuck from the skin etc.) We only had a problem once or twice in the beginning when we were first learning. Now, he doesn't have any problems with odor or the flange.
7. Surgery. This surgery can be reversed at anytime in your life. From what I remember, it is a fairly simple procedure with low risks. My husband didn't have any problems.
8. YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!! Like I said, the first thought of it was so weird to me. I hated the idea of it!! We debated it for a long time, but then due to a wound very near the anus, we were left with no choice, but to do it. I absolutely love it!!!! Before = we had to spend every other night with him down in bed on his side for about an hour, while I did his bowel program, which took time out of our day. If we were out with friends etc on a certain day, we would have to always be back home by our scheduled time to do the program. If we were traveling and sharing a hotel room, we would have to ask our friend to leave the room while we did the program. So, many inconveniences from before. NOW = my husband handles his own bowel care. It is soooo easy! When he feels the need, he just changes his bag. I still assist him with changing the dressing every 7 days because I like doing it. It's really simple too. Our life is VERY much better thanks to this colostomy bag. It really is just so simple to manage and no more laxatives and time taken away to do the "nasty" job!
9. If I had known how much we would love this thing, we would have done it a LONG time ago!!!!!
If you have any other questions, please feel free to pm me.
I posted my response and then went back and saw what LeviM posted.....so funny that we had a lot of the same answers!
Just wanted to add one more thing..... a lot of times, my husband changes his bag right before bed. So, there's a full bag for the night. Each person figures out what works best for them, but having the colostomy has really been wonderful!
Edited by saradise, 10 November 2012 - 05:08 PM.