•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Steroids

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lee.

Lee.

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6/T7 Complete fOoL
  • Injury Date:01-05-2011

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

has anyone with an sci took steroids? would it make a difference than if you didnt have an sci? ie would it cause some weird problem because of the sci

sig_zps17b798fa.jpg

#2 struthyruthy

struthyruthy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-6/T12 incomplete
  • Injury Date:28-03-2012

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Would you be taking the steroids for your SCI or for somthing else ?

I take them for Crohns and they have never had any affect on my SCI

:dunno:

#3 Lee.

Lee.

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

to build muscle :P sorry i didnt think of medical things

sig_zps17b798fa.jpg

#4 bongorum

bongorum

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t5

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I've never used post sci, but I can see no reason why you couldn't if you wanted to pack on some mass. You'd have to ensure that you are able to train hard, eat and sleep well though, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.  

“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”
-Albert Camus

#5 brockit79

brockit79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10
  • Injury Date:27-07-2010

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

the anabolic type things? i know a guy who almost went blind messing with those, he went a bit loony too. he used to compete in body building competitions but after he did that to himself i think it ended that career.

Neek me chawa, wermo, mo killie ma klounkee!

#6 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 #PimpWithALimp
  • Injury Date:12-30-2011

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

When I think of people that take steroids just to build muscle, I think of half brained monkeys that walk around going 'AHH I PICK THINGS UP, PUT THINGS DOWN, I PICK THINGS UP, GET MAD CAUSE MY BALLS ARE MARBLE SIZED, THEN I BREAK WHAT I PICKED UP, THEN IM DEPRESSED CAUSE I HAVE NOTHING TO PICK UP' Sry broski xD moral of the story: your going to shrink your balls and the added muscle mass to your abs might actually make your stomach look even bigger.
  • greybeard, The Black Vegetable and Big D like this
Either you choose to be blessed to be cursed or cursed to be blessed. I choose to be blessed to be cursed. 

#7 D. Smith

D. Smith

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Complete
  • Injury Date:29-04-2010

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I've considered it but was just unsure as to what the side effects of it would be.  Then add in the cost factor and need to consistently work out and I decided it wasn't quite right for me.  Though I did talk to my nurse who is a nurse practitioner and she didn't seem to think it would have any side effects just cause of the SCI.

When in Rome, go naked! --xbox360 tag: Ice764
-- You have to crawl before you walk; You have to slide before you depress; You have to love before you live. --

#8 Lee.

Lee.

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

well i figured that if i get bigger up top may make my belly look smaller considering i cant make my belly smaller ill create an optical illusion :P

sig_zps17b798fa.jpg

#9 bongorum

bongorum

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Steroids used sensibly, and when used by a healthy individual, are usually safe. I don't think our friend, just beingme, wants to compete at a national level, so I doubt he'll go overboard with the drugs. He just wants to add a little upper body mass quickly, which is exactly what steroids can do, when used sensibly. A huge percentage of professional athletes use them with no deleterious side effects whatsoever.  

Oh, and my experience is that your balls do in fact shrink, but when you come off the steroids they return to normal size again. I think the reason is because since its the testes that are responsible for producing testosterone in the first place, when you introduce it artificially into your body by way of steroids your balls don't need to keep producing as much and, therefore, shrink. Like an unused muscle that atrophies. But again, once you come off the drugs they begin manufacturing testosterone at the levels they used to prior to your drug use.

Edited by bongorum, 10 January 2013 - 07:45 PM.

• D. Smith likes this
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”
-Albert Camus

#10 D. Smith

D. Smith

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

A good documentary on them is "Bigger, Faster, Stronger".  It brings up some good points.

-- You have to crawl before you walk; You have to slide before you depress; You have to love before you live. --

#11 Lee.

Lee.

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

ye im just trying get where i want faster then come off and try maintain that size, as i go to the gym anyway and put my effort in, im not gona go stupid with them, and the balls things well i dont really care like i used to so...

sig_zps17b798fa.jpg

#12 Doug

Doug

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

In my opinion anything worth doing is worth doing right.  People are spoiled these days with way to much instant gratification.  If you want the muscle earn it the right way.  Unless every time someone says you look great you say "yea I use steroids"..It's like renting a nice sports car and saying you own it to everyone.  In the long run you will feel far more accomplished without the drugs.  But it's your body and you have the right to do anything you want with it my friend. If you chose the drugs get the best education about it you can before hand so you understand the entire process and risks involved.  Do not go by "here say" do tons of reading and buy from a trusted person only.

• Ferreira likes this

#13 Lee.

Lee.

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

a few years before my sci i actually had everything to do it but couldnt go through with it i hate needles :P but now i cant feel im not so bothered by it i know alittle about it and know people who used it for years, if i eat too much to gain the weight for the muscle, i will put on weight where i dont want it or cant get rid of it so steroids to where i want to be at then try maintain that without them, theres no way i can get to where i want to be without them so dont really care how i get it, plus the reason behind it is for me - my own self esteem 

• bongorum likes this

sig_zps17b798fa.jpg

#14 pikey

pikey

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 complete
  • Injury Date:13-09-1978

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

My two cents!  Check you will not get a moon face and put on weight all over.  

http://sportsci.org/...bstereff.html#6

If I fall out of my wheelchair in the woods would anybody hear me?

#15 bongorum

bongorum

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

a few years before my sci i actually had everything to do it but couldnt go through with it i hate needles :P but now i cant feel im not so bothered by it i know alittle about it and know people who used it for years, if i eat too much to gain the weight for the muscle, i will put on weight where i dont want it or cant get rid of it so steroids to where i want to be at then try maintain that without them, theres no way i can get to where i want to be without them so dont really care how i get it, plus the reason behind it is for me - my own self esteem 

You don't need needles, justbeingme, you could use oral steroids.   

-Albert Camus

#16 Lee.

Lee.

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

dont they mess your kidneys etc up?

sig_zps17b798fa.jpg

#17 knightrider

knightrider

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

You're better off without them, if you want to gain muscle it's all about heavy sets and lots of food, protein and carbs, without food and high protein = no muscle gain. You won't gain by eating crap or one big meal a day, high fat foods is when you will get fat in places you don't want. Get some protein shakes,, amino acids and creatine. Steroids you might gain quicker yes but so many bad side effects, your liver and internal organs grow so your gut will get bigger, your balls shrink, damage to your heart, you can get acne and you will need to take anti estrogen pills/shots after coz if you don't you will get moobs. What you gain mostly with either injection or oral steroids is excess water so you bloat like crazy, so again gut will increase.you also have to eat like crazy to maintain growth it's the same without steroids coz no fuel no growth but with steroids you will need more to make it effective, there's many many more side effects, it's not worth it. Do it natural, eat lots of protein like fish, chicken etc, stock up on carbs from pasta, you will need to eat lots. Cardio is a must too. Oh and yes oral steroids will mess up with kidneys but the main thing to worry about is your liver.

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past, so one way to get the most out of life is to look at it as an adventure"

#18 Big D

Big D

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-dozen complete
  • Injury Date:04-01-2012

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

When used properly, steroids absolutely can be effective and cause minimal side effects. How do you know when you're using them properly? Hell if I know.

A piece of anecdotal evidence: My old roommate used to do roids. He looks like a ###### gorilla. He has a huge beer gut and man tits. Oh, but his muscles are huge and he's super strong. Still, it looks horrible. He got drunk once while hanging out with this girl he liked, ripped his shirt off and started growling and flexing his muscles... It was quite disturbing. And the girl never had sex with him.

While I can certainly see the appeal of using anabolic steroids, and while I'm pretty much always in favor of taking drugs, drugs, and more drugs... I still think you might be better off going the all natural route. No need to take shortcuts with the associated risks in my opinion.

190px-Joe_Swanson2.png

Gimpin' ain't easy.

#19 cripwalk

cripwalk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:unknown

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Lot of complete nonsense being spouted in this thread. You don't need steroids you need to train smarter, more consistently and eat better, but if you want to learn about steroids an SCI forum is not the place for it.

• Tetracyclone likes this

#20 PNW_Doug

PNW_Doug

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L3-L5 incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:06-01-2009

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

You don't need steroids to build muscle tone or size. You need to work those muscles.

"Respect others and they might respect you. Disrespect others and they will certainly disrespect you!"
http://www.rollingphotography.us

#21 Lee.

Lee.

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

my question wasnt about AB person taking steroids it was a question to the sci people if it had any effect that wouldnt otherwise effect AB people that would effect sci, so i think i did ask in the right place, i know you need to eat properly and train properly i know you cant just take steroids and go lifts some weights and be big, all i want to do is to add mass as ive always been slim no matter what i ate or whatever and couldnt put weight on so therefore never gained any mass, i just needed a little help/boost to get there then maintain , plus it not about getting massive to pull some girls, its for confidence and the more upper strength you have as an sci the more you can do for yourself imo, dont blow this thread out of proportion please it was just a simple question

sig_zps17b798fa.jpg

#22 bongorum

bongorum

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Here's a link to a steroids forum, justbeingme, there's tons of info there: http://forums.steroi...ddd2f5b5c8fa28a

And no brother, there is no known toxic effect of anabolic steroids on the kidneys. Usually, though, because of your increased protein intake, your kidneys are given a lot more work to do, but that's not because of the steroids. As for the liver, you're right, there can be some damage done if you elect to ingest it orally: http://www.anabolics...com/roidb4a.htm

My last piece of advice man is to read up a lot on the subject, gather as much information as possible and decide for yourself. After all, it is your body and you'll know best whether the benefit to be reaped is worth the risk. For my part, I've used for years prior to my injury with no ill-effects whatsoever, and a lot of my friends have as well and still do. As I said before, if you decide to use, do so sensibly and all should be well with you while you pack on the pounds.

Edited by bongorum, 12 January 2013 - 01:47 PM.

-Albert Camus

#23 cripwalk

cripwalk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

my question wasnt about AB person taking steroids it was a question to the sci people if it had any effect that wouldnt otherwise effect AB people that would effect sci, so i think i did ask in the right place, i know you need to eat properly and train properly i know you cant just take steroids and go lifts some weights and be big, all i want to do is to add mass as ive always been slim no matter what i ate or whatever and couldnt put weight on so therefore never gained any mass, i just needed a little help/boost to get there then maintain , plus it not about getting massive to pull some girls, its for confidence and the more upper strength you have as an sci the more you can do for yourself imo, dont blow this thread out of proportion please it was just a simple question

Steroids won't help you put on weight, that's a matter of diet. Again, what you really need is more consistency in your diet and training. Also, listen to bongorum, he knows what he is talking about. Oral steroids hard on liver and less effective than pinning. But you don't need steroid, you are an untrained individual.

#24 Cory Mackay

Cory Mackay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7 incomplete

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Yeah you can do them, ive done two cycles since my accident. Just make sure to do a cutting cycle and do a lot of cardio while on the gear. Try to rotate your pins between your two buttcheeks and your two thighs or else youll get built up scar tissue. Let me know if you need any advice. Yea steroids is hard on your liver and yeah it has estrogen side effects, but on the flipside there is liver protectant you can take and estrogen blockers.

#25 D. Smith

D. Smith

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

I'm just curious if you ever decided to do them. While i know i contemplated it, i always decided against due to that i felt i couldn't reliably contribute the time to it. I USUALLY go about 3-4 times a week but I'm not always consistent. And before anyone goes on about how i don't need em or how I'm just lazy, just stop. I realize i didn't need them, i just wanted em.

#26 cripwalk

cripwalk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

It's true you don't need to use needles but oral AAS are extremely hard on your liver and not as effective.

No reason to think a simple cycle of test is going to do any long term damage but this is not the place to learn about it. Also, I doubt that so far your training has been limited by hormones. I suspect you could do a lot of things that would be a lot more effective than pinning with test, but it's your life. The biggest downside is cost.

#27 Ferret

Ferret

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12/L1 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:09-10-2009

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Mate, steer clear of the anabolic steroids.

As for suggestions of using oral steroids - thats pretty F'n dangerous - I've been on high dose oral steroids for my chest, and they're no fun. You get fat, your blood sugar goes up, you get crazy stretch marks, osteoporosis, potential cataracts... the list is endless.

Just eat a low carb, high protein diet and train train train. You'll increase muscle mass that way for sure.

Have a look at the supplements on MyProtein.com 

• Jemic likes this

#28 cripwalk

cripwalk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Mate, steer clear of the anabolic steroids.

As for suggestions of using oral steroids - thats pretty F'n dangerous - I've been on high dose oral steroids for my chest, and they're no fun. You get fat, your blood sugar goes up, you get crazy stretch marks, osteoporosis, potential cataracts... the list is endless.

Just eat a low carb, high protein diet and train train train. You'll increase muscle mass that way for sure.

Have a look at the supplements on MyProtein.com 

You are confusing anabolic steroids like GH or test and glucocorticoid steroids like prednisone. One is anabolic one is catabolic, totally different things. 

#29 Ferret

Ferret

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12/L1 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:09-10-2009

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

No, I'm not confusing them. I know exactly what they are and the differences between them.

However, I didn't realise anabolic steroids could be taken orally - hence why I thought the OP was referring to Glucocorticoids.

#30 iMADON

iMADON

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Quadri(Tetra)plegia
  • Injury Date:30-07-2003

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

i used creatine and protein powder 5 years ago for about 6 months and gym work. i feel the creatine helped me train harder for longer with quicker recovery times. but i fractured my arm when i was pissed on my bed, thought my leg was spasming but it was caught on the side of the bed and pop it went.

im back on protein powder now and contemplating creatine but you need the basics down first, fuel and rest. i suggest reading the 4hour body by tim ferriss http://www.amazon.co...60100806&sr=8-1

or watch him on Joe Rogan podcast  (the first 17 minutes is advertising, click 00:17:30).

It is better to climb the highest point and fall than never to fly at all.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.