#1 Jasonkeat3

Jasonkeat3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12
  • Injury Date:16-11-2011

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hello fellow community members,
My spinal cord injury happened a little more than a year ago. About 4 weeks following my injury, I've suffered from agonizing nerve pain below my level of injury (legs, feet, toes, etc.). Since then, I've tried taking: Clonazepam, Vicodin, Percocet, Nortriptyline, Tramadol, and Oxcarbazepine. I'm current on Lyrica at 600mg per day and Cymbalta 60mg per day. So far, none of these medications have effectively relieved me of pain.

What medications are left for me to take that have worked for you? What are your thoughts on surgical treaments such as implanting a spinal cord stimulator? Has anyone actually been able to relieve themselves of pain? If so, how?

I finished my first semester as a full-time freshman student at the University of Arizona majoring in biomedical engineering. I admit myself overwhelmed with studies and adapting to my new injury, and as a result, now I'm a part-time student this spring semester. I cannot stress how much this nerve pain problem has hindered me not only in school, but also everyday activities.

No one should have to suffer from this hell-like pain.

I appreciate any comments! Thank you!

#2 Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 (incomplete)
  • Injury Date:22-12-1985

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

How long have you been taking Lyrica? It works really well for me but took a month or two to be fully effective.

I think you have hinted at another issue that can make nerve pain worse in me, stress and tiredness.
  • SlowerNotOver likes this
GRAVITY. I fought the law and the law won!

#3 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

The reduction in your work load may help, as Tin suggested.

#4 cripplechick73

cripplechick73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1/T12 Complete Para
  • Injury Date:27-05-1978

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I agree with Tin and Tetra but would also add I believe good nutrition and juicing really can help. Sounds crazy I know, I had no faith that juicing ginger, carrots, and other fruits and vegetables with anti-inflamatory propreties would help, but it sure did. It's not a miracle cure but when I juice my day is improved dramatically pain-wise, and I can handle stress better too. SCI often have problems absorbing all the nutrients they need thanks to harsh medications so we get a double-whammy if our diet is poor.

Juicing is expensive and time-consuming, I see you're a student so time and money may be huge issues. I've asked my insurance company to help since these are my medications as well as nutrients. I don't know if you can get similar help but it was worth the effort for me. I was one who dropped out of school eventually because I couldn't handle the pain or side effects of medications that made me "functional". I hope you stick with it, demand the help available to disabled students on campus... you may be able to take some classes remotely?

• beffwifeofquad and SlowerNotOver like this
Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
-William James

#5 Scratch11

Scratch11

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 ASIA C incomplete
  • Injury Date:02-07-2011

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I take gabapentin and a dose of lyrica at night...both make it harder to concentrate... I still have pain but the difference in the pain it controls is amazing

#6 buckwheet

buckwheet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

I know what you are going through I became a para  2 years ago. since then I've had pressure around my area of surgery and nerve pain.  I take Gabapentine 900 in morning and 600 at night. I don't know if it helps. I had six shots in my back, another surgery, seen two nerosurgens and so far nothing has help.  My pressure is getting worst .  They now what to put electrodes down my spine with some instrument implanted in my back then will try to block the pressure and pain. It is very frustrating

buckwheet

#7 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

I agree with Tin and Tetra but would also add I believe good nutrition and juicing really can help. Sounds crazy I know, I had no faith that juicing ginger, carrots, and other fruits and vegetables with anti-inflamatory propreties would help, but it sure did. It's not a miracle cure but when I juice my day is improved dramatically pain-wise, and I can handle stress better too. SCI often have problems absorbing all the nutrients they need thanks to harsh medications so we get a double-whammy if our diet is poor.

Juicing is expensive and time-consuming, I see you're a student so time and money may be huge issues. I've asked my insurance company to help since these are my medications as well as nutrients. I don't know if you can get similar help but it was worth the effort for me. I was one who dropped out of school eventually because I couldn't handle the pain or side effects of medications that made me "functional". I hope you stick with it, demand the help available to disabled students on campus... you may be able to take some classes remotely?

73- can you post a list of the vegetables you have learned help reduce inflamation?

#8 Farfelle

Farfelle

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Neurological
  • Injury Date:N/a

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I have learned that anything in the nightshade family ( tomatoes potatoes eggplant and peppers) can contribute to inflammation
Got this from my rheumatologist who said there is lots of ancedotal evidence to support this
I am half italian and love my tomato sauce but found it did help to give it up and now have sweet potato fries instead of potatoes
Cil peppers seem ok but green peppers not so good. I find like most things its all abut dosage
Hope this helps

#9 SlowerNotOver

SlowerNotOver

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-3 Incomplete Tetra
  • Injury Date:21-12-2011

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

I have learned that anything in the nightshade family ( tomatoes potatoes eggplant and peppers) can contribute to inflammation
Got this from my rheumatologist who said there is lots of ancedotal evidence to support this
I am half italian and love my tomato sauce but found it did help to give it up and now have sweet potato fries instead of potatoes
Cil peppers seem ok but green peppers not so good. I find like most things its all abut dosage
Hope this helps

http://www.livestron...ory-foods-list/ HA!! I'm half Sicilian..this could be a problem,,but will try to reconsider,,the sauce,,all these years and I finally have my recipe down...but thank you my friend. and Take Good Care  :)

Depth Over Distance.....

#10 Jasonkeat3

Jasonkeat3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12
  • Injury Date:16-11-2011

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Tin: I've been taking Lyrica since December 2011.

Tetra: Thanks for the advice...what helps you with your nerve pain?

73: I've definitely considering getting a juicer to include more veggies in my diet. Like Tetra asked, are there any vegetables in particular that you can identify that helps you with pain?

Scratch 11: What dosages are you on for gabapentin and lyrica?

buckwheet: I'm sorry to hear that you've exhausted a ridiculous amount of options. Of those shots, what particular shots did you get? And what was the first surgery you tried. Also, I'm assuming that your referring to a spinal cord stimulator?

Farfelle: Interesting list of vegetables...if you don't eat those particular vegetables, does your nerve pain flare up more?

Slower: Took a look at the website and I'll definitely look into eating those foods.

Seems that there's a trend in dieting. I'm trying to slowly get off of lyrica now. Any suggestions for what I should do next?

Thank you for your comments everyone. Appreciate your help.

Also, does anyone know anything about dorsal root entry zone lesions surgery? Or has anyone gotten this surgery and doesn't have any more nerve pain?

#11 Farfelle

Farfelle

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Neurological
  • Injury Date:N/a

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hey jason
If i eat the nightshade family my arthritis flares considerably and who needs arthritis pain as well as nerve pain:)
Here's my nerve pain toolkit
Meds
Heat
Swimming
Music/ dancing
Art/ writing
Chigong
Good diet
Laughter
Pain patches
Acupuncture really helps!!!
Osteopathy ( when i can afford these two)
Nature contemplation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.