#1 Wastingtime23

Wastingtime23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete
  • Injury Date:02-04-2010

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

I wonder if this goes along with having the SCI and iit's something all paralyzed people experience or it's just the fact that I have a genetic predisposition. See back in 2005 when I was fifteen (long before SCI) I was hospitialized for severe abdominal pain (or what I thought was stomach pain) which turned out to be kidney stones and severe widespread infection in my kidneys and bladder.  Though after that one incident I never experienced any more kidney stone issues in the years to follow.

Then in September of 2012 after going to the hospital for a high fever and nausea I received an ultrasound that revealed several large kidney stones and was given a medication (can't remember the name) an an antibiotic. Apparently they "passed" in the weeks that followed and the infection cleared up. I have been in the clear until earlier last week that I had an ultrasound of my kidneys once again that showed I had developed more stones (though quite small this time) .

Is this to be expected given the SCI? or is this just a genetic thing I'm prone to you think. I hope this isn't an on going issue I'm always going to have to deal with. I really am trying everything I can to prevent them from coming back; drinking tons of water, keeping the catheters religiously clean, avoiding certain foods. It just doesn't seem to be working.

What do you suggest?

Edited by Wastingtime23, 28 February 2013 - 07:26 AM.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.