Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Peeing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joeymanwell

joeymanwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-C5
  • Injury Date:12-20-1981

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

I wear a "Texas Catheter" & for some odd reason i have trouble peeing sitting up in my wheelchair. I go fine while i'm in bed, anyone else have that problem?

#2 bucks225

bucks225

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/ C7 inc
  • Injury Date:29-04-2007

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

It's because when your sitting in your wheelchair, your basically sitting on the sphincter muscle, and all of that pressure makes it difficult for it to relax and begin urine flow. As opposed to if you were able to stand, sit on a toilet, or in your case, lying in bed, were the pressure is not on the sphincter anymore making it much easier for it to relax and allow you to pee.

• wheelchair-warrior likes this

#3 joeymanwell

joeymanwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

It's because when your sitting in your wheelchair, your basically sitting on the sphincter muscle, and all of that pressure makes it difficult for it to relax and begin urine flow. As opposed to if you were able to stand, sit on a toilet, or in your case, lying in bed, were the pressure is not on the sphincter anymore making it much easier for it to relax and allow you to pee.

So is there anything you can do? & thanks!!

#4 bucks225

bucks225

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/ C7 inc
  • Injury Date:29-04-2007

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

So is there anything you can do? & thanks!!

If I wear an ext. catheter and feel I have to pee while sitting up. I just kind of half lift myself up on one side ( by just bracing my forearm along one armrest and locking out my opposite arm) which lets me lift off of that area and relieves the pressure. Wish I had more but, that's all I could suggest trying.  

#5 Brian DeMatteo

Brian DeMatteo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Spinal Myleopathy
  • Injury Date:28-05-2012

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

You know this site is already paying dividends. I too have trouble peeing in a bottle either in a wheelchair or car seat. It makes sense that we are setting on our sphincter muscle. The only way I can pee is sitting down on a toilet seat. I guess I have to give up my man card.
  • supercrip13 likes this

#6 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

I wear a "Texas Catheter" & for some odd reason i have trouble peeing sitting up in my wheelchair. I go fine while i'm in bed, anyone else have that problem?

Hello Joey,

It sounds as though you are pressing your urethra as you sit.  If you can do a pressure relief using both hands, you'll notice the flow starting.  When I used to void while sitting, I would have to move to the front of my seat.  My urologist said it was like kinking a water hose.  If I was in a normal sitting position I could only void when I had high pressure and could not empty the bladder.  This is one reason I intermittent cath now.

Good luck.

Edited by Millard, 07 June 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#7 hockeydahc

hockeydahc

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 inc. walk w cane
  • Injury Date:09-16-2001

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

having more ability, I stand to pee.  I have no advice to suggest you try.  I'm simply in a different part of the boat.  I too have trouble with flow while sitting (in a bottle for an emergency in the middle of a drive, or even on the toilet.)  ie I finish a #2 and all that entails, but have to pinch it off, stand, turn around unbalanced and whilst my pants are down, and release the flow.  maybe try sliding down quite a bit in the chair.

im trying to avoid starting a new post....has anyone got a recommendation on a fitted-sheet style waterproof mattress protector that works despite washing?

rare occurrence for me, but it happens, and Id like something reliable to protect my tempur pedic.  brand name to look for?  the kind i've been using (protect-a-bed) work unbelievably well for about 3 washings or so then not so much.

#8 atvchick09

atvchick09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Chronic illness
  • Injury Date:08-14-2009

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

You can try and lift your bottom up with your arms, like a pressure relief, and that sometimes helps.

#9 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

I just got this from another forum and rather than put a link here, I just pasted in the SCI Nurses response about using Baclofen to relax muscles to help empty the bladder.  It is as follows:

Baclofen is rarely used for bladder management. It can, in some, decrease external urinary sphincter spasm, but often this is not sufficient to aid in emptying. Have you had a sphincterotomy or urethral stent surgery?? It does not relax the bladder since the bladder is not striated muscle.

Are you willing to change bladder management to intermittent cath?? What were your bladder pressures when you had urodynamics (your PdetMax)??

Unfortunately, in many men who have used reflex voiding for many years after SCI, they may still not empty even if the external sphincter is completely cut or paralyzed, since the bladder itself may have decompensated and may no long be able to empty, in spite of generating high pressures.

In addition, some men get excessive pressure on their urethra when sitting, that sort of kinks off the urethra (like a non-bendy type straw). We believe this is due to atrophy of buttocks muscles which allows the pubic bone to press onto the urethra more. For them, they often have this picture of being unable to void when sitting, and must recline or lay down to reflex void. Relaxing or cutting the sphincter does not usually help with this problem.

I hope this helps.

Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#10 joeymanwell

joeymanwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

THANKS EVERYONE! :)

#11 wheelchair-warrior

wheelchair-warrior

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6/7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:09-09-1976

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

...im trying to avoid starting a new post....has anyone got a recommendation on a fitted-sheet style waterproof mattress protector that works despite washing?

rare occurrence for me, but it happens, and Id like something reliable to protect my tempur pedic.  brand name to look for?  the kind i've been using (protect-a-bed) work unbelievably well for about 3 washings or so then not so much.

Like my "About Me" says: I've, somehow, deleted my 1st three comments. This is it...

I'm a layering girl. I use a waterproof mattress pad over my mattress then, a FLUFFY PADDED mattress cover over it. BETWEEN my padded mattress cover and fitted sheet, I strategically place a large bed pad, so not to soil the padded cover. For the last layer,  I sleep on a smaller 'day and night bed pad,' just in case :)

If the person you are talking to doesnt appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.― Winnie the Pooh
                                                                                                         http://www.conversationswithcynthia.com 

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.