#1 OGGIEMOM

OGGIEMOM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/C7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:08-07-2012

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hello everyone....I just love this site and reading about all your life experiences (good & bad) There is never a day that I come here that I don't learn something :)

I'm looking for some suggestions on balance exercises. I do have Brown Sequard with weakness on my left side but I'm not quite at the 1 year mark and I am determined to regain my balance and gait to the very best that I can. I am able to get around pretty good in my house with no aid but the walls keep me upright most days.
Does anyone have a particular balance or lower body strengthing exercise that they would recommend that worked for you? One of my biggest fears is that in a couple of years I will look back and wish that I had done more during these first crucial years to assist in my rehab. So...I'm sending out to the ones who have been there or are just getting there for your help.

Any suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated!

Cheers

Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
― Henry Ford

#2 SU31

SU31

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12/
  • Injury Date:12-07-2011

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

I do a routine I called dynamic standing. I stand and balance with my legs in positions that mimic activity. Like running or lunging or balance beams and stuff like that. Seems to be working.

#3 tomsonite

tomsonite

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:SCI Exercise Trainer (AB)

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Unstable resistance training.  If you can stand or walk around without holding on to anything well enough, you could try using a slosh bar.  It is essentially a PVC pipe filled halfway-2/3 of the way with water.  Since the water will constantly move around, your body constantly has to work to correct itself and stay balanced.  You can make one yourself from supplies you can get at home depot.  I made an explanatory video...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bA8ATctYX90

The one I made in the video is massive, much bigger and more unstable than anything I'd recommend someone with serious balance issues using.  I made this vid when I was still an athlete in training and training athletes myself.  You can make them in any size you like though.  At the facility where I work now (which is just for people with SCIs and paralysis) we have one that is 1.5" in diameter and a little less than three feet long.  It weighs around 5 pounds.  Our clients mostly use it for seated balance or sometimes balance work in a standing frame.  It has proven to be a pretty tough thing to exercise with and has made a few clients hate me :)

Anyway, as I said, if you can be in an environment where you can stand or walk around safely, maybe with a person or two spotting you, you could try making yourself one and doing something as simple as standing in place with it, and go from there.  Then you could try standing with it in more "dynamic" positions like SU31 said.  I hope this helps!

#4 Stand

Stand

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4 Incomplete, ASIA B
  • Injury Date:08-18-2009

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

I have a much higher level injury but here is a link to my YouTube page which offers some balancing techniques that were shown to me by my therapists.  Maybe something could help.  Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/user/aawood00

If you don't try, you fail.

www.aaronwood.us

#5 OGGIEMOM

OGGIEMOM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/C7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:08-07-2012

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I am definitely going to corporate these into my routine. I also have my husband heading to the hardware store tomorrow to make me a slosh bar - WHY have I never heard of that before from any if my PT's? What a great idea!
I think I'll start with the smaller one

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: balance

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.