•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

How Long Before Your Neuropathic Pain Subsided?

neuropathic pain timeframe

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Takkies

Takkies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 -6 complete
  • Injury Date:08-12-2012

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hi all, I started getting neuropathic pain almost immediately after my accident, still in ICU. It started with a tight band on the injury level. About 10 weeks later the band eased but then I started getting sharp shooting electric shock kind of pains in my ribs just under my level of injury. After another 6 weeks the pain increased substantially with added "ghost pains" down my legs, burning under my feet and hypersensitivity on the skin above my level of injury.

Some dr's and some other complete sci guys told me that after 2 or 3 years these pains would go? If I read on this forum it seems like there is quite a lot of people that suffer with this way longer?

How long did your pain last and did it get better after a while?

#2 Scott_C4-5

Scott_C4-5

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4-5
  • Injury Date:23-07-1990

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

My pain began about two weeks post-injury... 23 years later, it's still here, but I adapted.

#3 Takkies

Takkies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

No! It is terrible! Are you complete?

#4 SparrowLegs

SparrowLegs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 complete
  • Injury Date:19-04-2012

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Mines subsided substantially about 4 months post injury - now I only get electric shock type pain in my hamstring and feet 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of hours. But I can live with that.

“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.”

#5 Scott_C4-5

Scott_C4-5

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4-5
  • Injury Date:23-07-1990

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, complete. And the pain isn't 24/7 but daily... surges once or twice an hour on good days.

#6 Rick Macdonald

Rick Macdonald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1
  • Injury Date:16-12-2002

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

11 yrs this year since accident , an pain still here strong as ever lol as said you adapt to it ,I find keeping busy taking your mind off it helps a bit .

I got as I type this a dull pain that feels like something sticking in the ball of my right foot ! WTF?

So yes nothing has changed since day 1 .
  • bucks225 likes this

#7 Crappler

Crappler

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C8
  • Injury Date:10-15-1989

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

I kind of enjoy the pain myself. I like to try and move my leg real hard, and I can feel some sort electrical attempt, then after a few a moments I get like a jolt of electricity.

AHHHH!

#8 Farfelle

Farfelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Neurological
  • Injury Date:N/a

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

Takkies, its a dangerous thing to compare yourself to others, everyone's accidents and injuries are different and everyone reacts differently too. The best thing is find things that distract you from the nerve pain (i like the forum and especially the games for that) . When desperate i watch funny movies on utube..

music, writing and art are great distracters. How abut writing some stories for your three girls about your life pre and post injury?
I also use a tens machine and have taught myself to laugh spontaneously.... Laughter is a great way to release some endorphins and i sometimes find my life so hard that all i can do is laugh:)
  • bucks225, Jemic, SlowerNotOver and 2 others like this

#9 lcgarrison

lcgarrison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t 11
  • Injury Date:09-07-2004

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

Nine yrs. out for me and they have gotten worse.  T-11 complete   :wheelchair:

#10 bucks225

bucks225

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/ C7 inc
  • Injury Date:29-04-2007

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:12 AM

6+ yrs. and I could count all of my pain free days on my fingers and toes. With some piggy's to spare!

#11 Brian DeMatteo

Brian DeMatteo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Spinal Myleopathy
  • Injury Date:28-05-2012

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

Yowza. I read many of the responses and it might not be as bleak as our friends say. Every body and every injury is different. Talk with more than one pain management doc. Try to avoid the pain management doc that slide over from anesthesia.....find an expert who went to school for pain management......so much more informed. I'm going on 15 years and the pain is the worse it has felt in 12 Months. II'm not over concerned yet. Booze and cigs can really intesify the pain for me.....but that is me. Meditation and lack of stress holds the pain level down. Also getting your sleep is most important to managing pain. Hang in there your not alone.

i

i
y the different drugi
  • Farfelle and Takkies like this

#12 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C7 #PimpWithALimp
  • Injury Date:12-30-2011

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

NEVER MUAHAHAHAHAHA 

:)

Either you choose to be blessed to be cursed or cursed to be blessed. I choose to be blessed to be cursed. 

#13 ClaraTaylor

ClaraTaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T12-L5

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

Been in agony since 2008. Still not settled down. Learning to live with it though. Don't compare yourself to others, you might strike it lucky!

#14 Takkies

Takkies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Thanks you guys for all your responses! I am still dealing with all the emotions surrounding my injury and all the things I have lost. Think that the emotional stress surrounding that also have a negative impact!
  • Tetracyclone likes this

#15 countryboy8814

countryboy8814

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6-c7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:03-03-2010

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

i love this site, i'm still dealing w being paralyzed and being in so much pain..........i'm intensly depressed and reading the posts on here and being able to relate really helps so thank you all i'm gonna be ok i'm a fighter :boxing:

• Farfelle likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neuropathic, pain, timeframe

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.