•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

How Many Deal With Spasticity

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 beccalbrown

beccalbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5
  • Injury Date:10-02-2013

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hello everyone,

I been noticing some people posting more about this topic, so I wanted to do a discussion on it.
I have spasticity in my right leg. My hamstrings and calf muscle are in a state of contraction, so I have a difficult time with straightening out my leg. I can at times have a difficult time just putting the heal of my right foot down.
I still have a lot of tone in the mornings, so I have to put right knee on the seat of my walker and push myself around in the am. After a good soak in the hot bath water usually I can at least get my toes on the floor. Then it takes some stretching time to get the whole right foot on the floor. It has gotten a lot better cause I can remember in May I thought it was going to be the death of me ( pain level wise) & I was completely dependent on my walker until July. It wasnt until the last 3- 4 weeks that I can walk eith my cane makority of the day. When I started out patient in May therapy my knee was 25 degrees from neutral position and my hip was 33 degrees from neutral. This to let you know how far along I have come on 7/31 my hip was 14 degrees from neutral and knee was 10 degrees from neutral. It took a lot of adjusting the Bacolfen to the correct dosage to finally to get some relief from the pain of being so contracted. I also had to make a medication schedule.
I also am considering to return back to college in a very prestige Nursing Program. Therapist believe I am ready but with limitations on lifting. Kinda nervous about it, but still have a week 1/2 before final decision is made. I really want to and believe I can but it will be very demanding physically and mentally. So my question to all of you is do you deal with spasticity or tone, where at, how do you get through your day, any accomplishments you want to share?
Sorry about the misspellings!

I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13 NIV)

#2 Mojoking

Mojoking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-6
  • Injury Date:21-12-2007

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

I do morning stretching in my bed then more stretching in a hot bath followed by more afternoon stretching as well as range of motion exercises for muscle tightness and spasticity.....I quit bacflon cause I slept all the time but take valium and lots of ibuprofen..A codeine pill when it's really bad for pain...Marijuana helps but it's illegal so that's a gamble....My spasticty is in both legs from the waist down and very bad....Can't walk over a few feet so in a wheelchair mostly..I can't lift anything without doing some serious harm......As for you working a job, I guess lots of stretching breaks and whatever meds that don't make ya drowsy..You know what you can do and can't...Better test yourself before ya dive in too deep tho.....Good luck...

#3 A trophy guy

A trophy guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10/12 (ischemic)
  • Injury Date:29-04-2000

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

My paralysis is flaccid, so I have absolutely no spasticity.  While in the aggregate I consider this a net positive, it is by no means without significant drawbacks.  Since spasms are muscle activity, albeit involuntary, they keep a degree of muscle mass and tone to paralyzed limbs and affected tissue.  Not only does this help keep bones more dense, making them more resistant to fracture and lessening the risk of osteoporosis, it keeps a protective layer beneath the skin which reduces the incidence of skin-related injuries.  Plus, on a superficial level, the retained muscle mass keeps the paralyzed legs looking somewhat normal, while the flaccid limbs are shockingly skinny and just skin and bone.  (Blessed but cursed)

• Wobbly likes this
Blessed but Cursed

#4 steelchariot

steelchariot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-5 complete
  • Injury Date:23-05-1999

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:12 AM

I choose not to take pharmaceuticals so my spasms are quite strong. The alternatives I've found help the most are range of motion/stretching (especially after a hot bath gives a good stretch), cannabis if it's legal for you, and massage. If you can find a good massage therapist they can figure out which muscles are giving you problems and can teach your home health aide or family member correct stretching techniques.

#5 Rdaysha

Rdaysha

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Injury Date:24-01-2011

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Hello everyone,

I been noticing some people posting more about this topic, so I wanted to do a discussion on it.
I have spasticity in my right leg. My hamstrings and calf muscle are in a state of contraction, so I have a difficult time with straightening out my leg. I can at times have a difficult time just putting the heal of my right foot down.
I still have a lot of tone in the mornings, so I have to put right knee on the seat of my walker and push myself around in the am. After a good soak in the hot bath water usually I can at least get my toes on the floor. Then it takes some stretching time to get the whole right foot on the floor. It has gotten a lot better cause I can remember in May I thought it was going to be the death of me ( pain level wise) & I was completely dependent on my walker until July. It wasnt until the last 3- 4 weeks that I can walk eith my cane makority of the day. When I started out patient in May therapy my knee was 25 degrees from neutral position and my hip was 33 degrees from neutral. This to let you know how far along I have come on 7/31 my hip was 14 degrees from neutral and knee was 10 degrees from neutral. It took a lot of adjusting the Bacolfen to the correct dosage to finally to get some relief from the pain of being so contracted. I also had to make a medication schedule.
I also am considering to return back to college in a very prestige Nursing Program. Therapist believe I am ready but with limitations on lifting. Kinda nervous about it, but still have a week 1/2 before final decision is made. I really want to and believe I can but it will be very demanding physically and mentally. So my question to all of you is do you deal with spasticity or tone, where at, how do you get through your day, any accomplishments you want to share?

I use to have a lot spasms! Baclofen side effects are horrible and it didn't help my spasm. CYMBALTA took away all the spasms and I love it! Productive life now
  • Caliboy likes this
~Determination is HOPE~

#6 Raglet

Raglet

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Motor neuropathy

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

I hate my spasticity in my feet as it pulls them out of shape and makes my big toes point upwards. My feet turn inwards at the ankle. I like the spasticity in my glutes as it holds me upright. If I take baclofen, I love what it does what it does to my feet, but if my glutes relax I bend forwards at the hips 45 degrees as the spacticity is the only thing that is keeping me standing up straight. I am trying to investigate botox injections for my feet, but my neurologist is avoiding me lol (I think she is all out of ideas).

so, I love it but I hate it. I really want to find a way of making my feet lie down flat on the floor though coz that is seriously cool. It really improves my balance if I have flat feet to stand on.

• A trophy guy likes this

Things don't seem so bad since I took up heavy drinking

#7 NancyE

NancyE

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-01-2006

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

Raglet, my feet tilt up inward on foot plate unless I am wearing heavy shoes. Of course that works on wheelchair . Might not be great dragging steel-toed Doc Martins around walking...was just a random thought.
  • Raglet likes this
Reality continues to ruin my life. - Calvin and Hobbes

#8 Stvnknt

Stvnknt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 5,6,7
  • Injury Date:02-12-1997

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hope Im able to help someone on this topic,Been dealing wit spaticity,Pain,bowel,BLadder,&Weakness spaticity was so bad would,not only keep me from walkin,or standin , would start to shake uncontrollably when stepping,&causin me to fall,& broke a shoulder rotor cuff one time then the other another on another fall. after,was already takin 8 20mg tabs, 2 tabs every 6hrs.Jus for spaticity,not to mention meds for all the firey pain from nerve damage & the terrible aching low back from tryin to walk and from Scoliosis of spinalcord. all eventually stopped workin,was forced to get morphine/baclofen pump, stopped taken baclofen med. worked well walked wit cane for while till lost balance then with 2 loft strand canes,then muscles eventually astrophy got weak couldn stand much then not at all, today still have some spaticity but no muscle mass mostly both legs now are flaccid, but got some spaticity in both calf muscles,toes curl,ankle turns inward,best thing 4 this is stretchin&put a towel round foot&pull toward you
Pull toward you while sittin,Like on couch preferably wit legs straight,But if cant anyway can do it, Pull & Hold long as can,Release&Repeat, Found works better after hot bath,Therefore muscles are looser, Has worked for me through the yrs, Today am Quadriplegic in wheelchair all time, But still get tightness and use this method, Sure hope helps you & Others out, Sry for such a long post,Guess was rattling on Good luck S C I family :)

#9 Raglet

Raglet

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Motor neuropathy

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Raglet, my feet tilt up inward on foot plate unless I am wearing heavy shoes. Of course that works on wheelchair . Might not be great dragging steel-toed Doc Martins around walking...was just a random thought.

Nancy, I have found the same thing - boots help. I wore AFO's for years, but now I can't life my feet high enough off the floor to make the foot drop a problem, so I don't often wear them. I keep meaning to get some boots, but I can only wear really soft shoes (lupus arthritis) and soft boots are expensive! At the moment every cent is going towards my teeth (root canals). If I got a 'do over', I would definitely become a dentist!!!

Things don't seem so bad since I took up heavy drinking

#10 beccalbrown

beccalbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hope Im able to help someone on this topic,Been dealing wit spaticity,Pain,bowel,BLadder,&Weakness spaticity was so bad would,not only keep me from walkin,or standin , would start to shake uncontrollably when stepping,&causin me to fall,& broke a shoulder rotor cuff one time then the other another on another fall. after,was already takin 8 20mg tabs, 2 tabs every 6hrs.Jus for spaticity,not to mention meds for all the firey pain from nerve damage & the terrible aching low back from tryin to walk and from Scoliosis of spinalcord. all eventually stopped workin,was forced to get morphine/baclofen pump, stopped taken baclofen med. worked well walked wit cane for while till lost balance then with 2 loft strand canes,then muscles eventually astrophy got weak couldn stand much then not at all, today still have some spaticity but no muscle mass mostly both legs now are flaccid, but got some spaticity in both calf muscles,toes curl,ankle turns inward,best thing 4 this is stretchin&put a towel round foot&pull toward youPull toward you while sittin,Like on couch preferably wit legs straight,But if cant anyway can do it, Pull & Hold long as can,Release&Repeat, Found works better after hot bath,Therefore muscles are looser, Has worked for me through the yrs, Today am Quadriplegic in wheelchair all time, But still get tightness and use this method, Sure hope helps you & Others out, Sry for such a long post,Guess was rattling on Good luck S C I family :)

I do that same stretch. Except I use a gait belt I have; wrap around the foot and pull and pull till my hands cramp. Therapist say I am to do this at all times! It does help and I have been hitting my heel more now but still not a perfect gait walk.

#11 Cande

Cande

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-C6 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:08-10-2012

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a lot of spasticity in my right hand, arm, and right leg. Right now I'm only taking valium for it, but I noticed that ibuprofen seems to help me relax my whole body I don't know why unless it's because I take 800mg. :) I usualy take it only at night because it also helps me sleep with the norco and valium. Not all at once, 1/2 hour to an hour apart. I'm going to try the towel streching for my leg and toes and see if it helps before getting out of bed. That's the worst time for me, mornings. My hand is in constant pain and I guess I just have gotten somewhat used to it. Although the glove they gave me at the hospital for swelling reduction seems to help the spasticity don't know why.

I hope you find some relief, let us know if you find something new.

Also, good luck to you in your future career goals. I take online classes and it is tough, so I wish you the best in a brick and motor class. Also I am very impressed that you have even considered this. Again, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cande :)

#12 beccalbrown

beccalbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

Well Cande,

Last week my goals changed!! The Nursing Program I wanted to return to wanted a doctor release with any limitations for an amount of time, so they would know how to accommodate. My doctor did not feel comfortable writing I would have limitations for 4 weeks when it could be 6 or months even. She said especially with walking that I would always have limitations. : (

It was disappointing and heart breaking! I have always wanted to be a nurse, so my back up plan for now is to take the 2 online courses I need to graduate with an Associate in General Studies and transfer to a Unversity. Hopefully in 6 months I can have more progress maybe to return to the Nursing Program. We will have to see what God has in store for me. I'm not giving up; just a door closed for right now. Staying positive!!

#13 NancyE

NancyE

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-01-2006

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Awww becca, that is hard. Hopefully you will be lead to something better for you....or experience the healing you need. Good for you for staying positive, and finding a way to keep going forward. 

Nancy

Reality continues to ruin my life. - Calvin and Hobbes

#14 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

Ouch.  Yes, you are sure to feel down for a bit.  It may turn out that a delay is a blessing, but for now go ahead and mutter under your breath.

#15 beccalbrown

beccalbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm having a really bad flare up!!
I guess with what all happened 2 weeks ago, it was inevitable. I fell 2 weeks ago as well and strained my neck and since then my muscle spasticity has done a 180 turn around the other direction. I was doing so good.. I was so close to making heel strikes with my right foot, but now I am currently doing good enough just to touch my tip toes to the ground. My meds were increased on 7/30 to 30 mg of Bacolfen in am, 20 mg in afternoon, & 30 again at night and I take 300 mg of Gabapentin 3 x's a day as well.
Do any of you experience delayed stress responses like this?
I go see my surgeon Tuesday after informing them of fall and now increased spasticity.
All I know is I forgot how darn painful this spasticity can be when it gets this way. Feels like it is ripping my femur into tiny shredded up bone. Any advice, suggestions??

#16 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:34 AM

I have had tight muscles feel like they were doing serious damage- and they were.  An imbalance in my pelvic area caused by some chronically contracted groin muscles gave me a posture for the first 3 years that put grave stress on the arch of my foot.  I felt like it was falling, and it was. there were a few spastic muscles in the left calf that made it ache for the first 4 years.

You may have unsettled you spinal alignment.  Hopefully the doc can explain things.  It is natural and smart to look for the obvious answer first, but always check other things.  Does your urine smell fresh as a daisy?  Might there be any other problem?

#17 beccalbrown

beccalbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:49 AM

No unfortunately I don't think any urine smells fresh as a daisy. Just also with that horrible week finished taking an antibiotic for a kidney infection.
Tetracyclone, I am still having hestitation issue with that. I may still have an issue that need further investigating with that as well. I will bring that up to his attention. I might try to manage talking him into a head to right knee MRI scan searching for more soft tissue damage.

#18 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:08 AM

No unfortunately I don't think any urine smells fresh as a daisy. Just also with that horrible week finished taking an antibiotic for a kidney infection.
Tetracyclone, I am still having hestitation issue with that. I may still have an issue that need further investigating with that as well. I will bring that up to his attention. I might try to manage talking him into a head to right knee MRI scan searching for more soft tissue damage.

the kidney infection- any infection,  will add greatly to our load of spasticity.  make sure to follow up on that problem.

#19 Brad Williams

Brad Williams

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t 12
  • Injury Date:29-06-2006

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

My paralysis is flaccid, so I have absolutely no spasticity.  While in the aggregate I consider this a net positive, it is by no means without significant drawbacks.  Since spasms are muscle activity, albeit involuntary, they keep a degree of muscle mass and tone to paralyzed limbs and affected tissue.  Not only does this help keep bones more dense, making them more resistant to fracture and lessening the risk of osteoporosis, it keeps a protective layer beneath the skin which reduces the incidence of skin-related injuries.  Plus, on a superficial level, the retained muscle mass keeps the paralyzed legs looking somewhat normal, while the flaccid limbs are shockingly skinny and just skin and bone.  (Blessed but cursed)

I got screwed both ways! I have no contractors and my tendons are shortend! So I have skinny little grasshopper legs!! Lol
  • A trophy guy likes this

#20 Wobbly

Wobbly

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 c6/7 and l5/s1 inc
  • Injury Date:06-02-2008

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Haven't been here for a while, long battle with pneumonia and then just life, but I'm now experiencing very tight Hams and calfs plus painful arches. Clearly what I thought was a stable situation has deteriorated. On the plus side this has now put me in the hands of a good physio and coming here, as ever, is fantastic to know I'm not alone (selfishly) :-)

Edited by Wobbly, 01 September 2013 - 04:08 PM.

When life gives you lemons reach for the gin and tonic

#21 plank

plank

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6 incomplete
  • Injury Date:17-03-2010

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

Haven't been here for a while, long battle with pneumonia and then just life, but I'm now experiencing very tight Hams and calfs plus painful arches. Clearly what I thought was a stable situation has deteriorated. On the plus side this has now put me in the hands of a good physio and coming here, as ever, is fantastic to know I'm not alone (selfishly) :-)

Good to see you back Wobbly and that things are looking up.

• Wobbly likes this

The above post, like many of my posts is probably dripping in sarcasm and may be an attempt at humour.  I f you begin to feel offended by it then please accept my apology, ignore it and move on, I never set out to offend anyone.  My outlook on life is sunny and I endeavour to bring sunshine into the lives of all around me including you.  Here's a smiley for you.   :)

#22 markroy7

markroy7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:02-08-2007

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Active streching, a hot shower, and marijuana works well for me.

I found baclofen weakened all of my muscles.

#23 ray_m

ray_m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 Tetraplegia ASIA D
  • Injury Date:18-06-2006

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

I always experience spasticity when transitioning from a sitting to standing position.  If sitting for more than a few minutes, anything that jars me, even slightly, will result in spasms that reach from the lower back to my toes.

I agree that stretching, exercising and hot showers provide tremendous relief.

I weaned myself off of Baclofen between 3 and 4 months post injury as I didn't like the side effects that I was experiencing.  I'd rather deal with spasticity than not have a clear head.  That's just me...

#24 Patg

Patg

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3-5
  • Injury Date:31-08-2011

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

I experience it in both legs. Tried drugs, all of them, neurotin, bachlofen , and am on cymbalta . Nothing causes them to change, I just grab my thigh until it subsides.
If you think you are ready to go back to nursing, do it! Know your expectations as well as your limitations and do all you can do

#25 Stvnknt

Stvnknt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 5,6,7
  • Injury Date:02-12-1997

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

Yep do all you can do, Like the saying goes A BODY AT REST STAYS AT REST !

#26 Kenneth Henderson

Kenneth Henderson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-7 incomplete w/ CP

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

I deal with spasticity on a regular basis, medication didn't work well for me either. I resort to acupuncture/pressure to help alleviate the pain. My husband has to do acupressure on my legs every night because that's when it seems to be the worst.

#27 Dia Jansen

Dia Jansen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:09-05-2012

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

Tramadol 50mg 2 pills 3xs a day has been the answer to my spaticity issues

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.