•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Life Span.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nawa Mbangweta

Nawa Mbangweta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:paraplegic
  • Injury Date:02-11-1995

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

What is the average life span of a paraplegic?

#2 Crappler

Crappler

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C8
  • Injury Date:10-15-1989

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'm sorry, but I hate threads like this. True, I could ignore it, but that wouldn't be me.

• SU31 likes this

#3 Shan103

Shan103

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/C6 incomplete husband
  • Injury Date:September 8, 2012

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

From what I have read, and what I have come to understand - as long as you take care of yourself your life expectency is pretty much the same as it would have been pre-injury. 

Now - just my opinion - you may have more obstacles to overcome than you would have if you were an AB, so it MAY not be as easy but eating right and staying active, just smart choices all the way around would definitely help

• Millard, Crappler, Jemic and 2 others like this

#4 bongorum

bongorum

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t5

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

You should also take special care of your kidneys, our Achilles' heel in my opinion. Urinary tract infections can do large amounts of damage to them.

• WaveWolf likes this
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”
-Albert Camus

#5 harlton

harlton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5-S1
  • Injury Date:26-01-1990

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

I use to be really healthy pre-injury, then the injury bit eat a few years, then I got back to really healthy but with the assistance of large amounts of drugs, unknowingly overdid it trying to expand my bit on the side into a real business and now totally screwed, So there's some advice in there somewhere, I'm still trying to find out I'm one of the Arachnoiditis group failed back syndrome, but I'm 58, there are older guy's than me on here, 25yrs post injury.

#6 Millard

Millard

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 Tetraplegia
  • Injury Date:20-07-1967

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

I am a Quad/Tetra and was told my average life span would be some 15 years post injury and that was 46 years ago.  With all the health improvements, especially in the adrenal (urinary) systems, our lifespans have greatly improved.  I have AB classmates that have passed so the old rule is history.

As Shan103 said, just take care of yourself and there's no time limit...just enjoy it while it lasts!

Good luck.

• WaveWolf likes this
Millard
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne

#7 JohnMH

JohnMH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10-T12 incomplete
  • Injury Date:6-5-2007

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

I would agree with the replies above. I am T10 incomplete and am  67 years old and 6 years post accident. Most of my docs belong to the spinal group at U. Of Wisconsin Med School (USA).  I'm assured of a long and happy life as long as my system from kidneys on down are closely watched. My docs really don't like any UTI's and every two years they test for something called Urodynamics which involves filling my bladder with water until I can tell them I feel full. It tests my sensory ability as well as my bladders elasticity.

one good thing, apparently, with all this is that my urology doc tells me he.s never seen a spinal injury patient with prostate cancer.

Hope this helps someone

Regards

John

Wastedontheway

#8 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

Previously discussed HERE. There have been other threads, too, if you're prepared to search.

As a plain para from age 21 I'm expecting, all other things going well, to have a reduced life by about 10 years but I don't know what my likely potential was, anyway, so I could go tomorrow or not till after I hit a century or later.

• WaveWolf likes this

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#9 Tetracyclone

Tetracyclone

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:27-05-2008

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Previously discussed HERE. There have been other threads, too, if you're prepared to search.

As a plain para from age 21 I'm expecting, all other things going well, to have a reduced life by about 10 years but I don't know what my likely potential was, anyway, so I could go tomorrow or not till after I hit a century or later.

I doubt you were ever plain... :wub:

#10 SparrowLegs

SparrowLegs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 complete
  • Injury Date:19-04-2012

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

Shorter than the norm hopefully. I really dont want to be an octogenarian and still be sticking tubes down my dick and fingers up my ass.
  • Tetracyclone, AlaskaOne and SU31 like this

“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.”

#11 hotwheels1992

hotwheels1992

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t1
  • Injury Date:05-09-2011

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

Some people are are fine and others have tons of problems every injury is different. I take good car if myself ( being 21 I go out with the girls one weekend a month and drink) but other then that take care if myself . I had bad problems with my health pre injury auto immune disorders and a few other things and the sci and cathing and sitting made it worse but that's because I genetics had bad health. So if you come from a family of generally good health and u take good care of urself u should do just fine and life a long life:)

#12 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

If you want some facts and figures go to the website of the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Centre (based in Birmingham, Alabama).

HERE is a great summary of American statistics in pdf which includes life expectancy. Just don't take any of it too seriously because everyone is unique and it's early days for reliable stats.

Basically, the average person who survives their first year will go on to live to 55 - 65, the lower your injury the longer your life expectency.

Edited by nomis, 03 December 2013 - 11:18 AM.

• Tetracyclone likes this

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#13 @spinalsnap

@spinalsnap

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 incomplete

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

I believe I saw a non-sci guy on Leno that said his secret to living to 97 was smoking and eating bacon everyday. Spinal cord injury aside, it's a crapshoot for all of us! 

#14 harlton

harlton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5-S1
  • Injury Date:26-01-1990

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

I have adhesive Arachconditis , so my back is now crumbling arse to head. Recent information released in a study concerning people with this condition, states it takes roughly 8-12yrs off your expected life span.

I had double pneumonia when I was first in the chair and very weakened. That seems to get most of us now, but also the same for regular old people. How many meds and what doses of them, vs how much water you drink to help kidney and liver function. Personally I don't care, as I'm aging all I can do anymore is sit around and watch TV, it's F*****g boring, any other activity is a pay as you go deal, the more you do, the more you pay. So I wouldn't be worrying about it.

Anyway a bus or a car crash could get you before anyway,  just like everyone else, just shit luck, that's it.

#15 SU31

SU31

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12/ C5 incomplete
  • Injury Date:12-07-2011

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

Shorter than the norm hopefully. I really dont want to be an octogenarian and still be sticking tubes down my dick and fingers up my ass.

My personal biggest concern.

#16 Smugga

Smugga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

What does AB stand for? :$

#17 KaterinaWit

KaterinaWit

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 Complete / Friend

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Could be a blood type, or the Province of Alberta.  My guess on this forum it means Able-Bodied

• islandgirl and Kinney Leonard like this

#18 islandgirl

islandgirl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4-6 inc L5-S1 com
  • Injury Date:12-28-2007

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Who can tell how long or short a time we live. Certainly not doctors. Would have better luck with a wigi board . My great grandfather lived to 117, a great aunt to 115. My grandparents both died at 99. One of my uncles at 35 while my father died in his 40s all ab while a very sickly from birth great grandmother made it to 105. And one of my daughters died before her first birthday from a infection even though she was health. It just the luck of the draw combined with taking good care of your self. Do not let any one tell you how long you have left. Only time can tell you that.
  • KaterinaWit, Jemic and WaveWolf like this
Attitude the difference between an adventure and a ordeal

#19 plank

plank

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6 incomplete
  • Injury Date:17-03-2010

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

What it all comes down to is that if you want to do something, do it now - because you can't do it when you're dead.

• Jemic and WaveWolf like this

The above post, like many of my posts is probably dripping in sarcasm and may be an attempt at humour.  I f you begin to feel offended by it then please accept my apology, ignore it and move on, I never set out to offend anyone.  My outlook on life is sunny and I endeavour to bring sunshine into the lives of all around me including you.  Here's a smiley for you.   :)

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.