#1 cdngrl

cdngrl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:15 PM

I'm looking into getting a new bed. Right now I have an adjustable craftmatic bed. I'm wondering what would be the best type of bed for me. I heard that waterbeds are good, although I think that they would be hard to board transfer out of. I had a fancy air mattress before, but the air pump drove me crazy.

Does anybody have any suggestions??? :helpme:

Edited by cdngrl, 25 November 2006 - 10:40 PM.

Life is one long insane trip. Some people just have better directions.
Keepin' it wheel

#2 Joed

Joed

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete para
  • Injury Date:04-29-1959

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

From experience, I can say that if you have any rods/hardware, a waterbed probably isn't the best choice....but if you did opt for one, I'd make sure it's the most firm variety. I do think it'd be more difficult to get out of one, depending on how it's made.

We have a local mattress manufacturer, and I had ours made to fit our old waterbed frame. It places the mattress higher than the side rails, so I don't have to navigate those, yet the side rails give me a more solid reference point when transferring to my w/c.

I would like to have an adjustable bed, if I could do it all over again....lying flat is not comfortable for me at all, even though I try to make myself do it occasionally, for the stretch it provides my tendons/muscles.

Good luck with choosing the right bed/mattress for you. Many places will let you try their mattress out for a couple of months before buying. :unsure: Take your time, and don't hesitate to spend more than what you'd like...it's an important investment. I hear a lot of good things about the memory foam mattresses....here are some other threads about this topic:

Beds/Mattress

Beds/Mattress

Beds/Mattress

Female. Incomplete para following a cord stroke in '03. Spina-bifida, severe scoliosis. 18 surgeries total...five spine-related: Three fusions w/hardware, two tethered cord releases.

#3 Dancingdolphin

Dancingdolphin

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5,6 Complete

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

I have memory foam mattress and find it terrific....though stayed on one that was too soft.......good solid memory for me.

#4 cdngrl

cdngrl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:31 PM

ok thankyou
Life is one long insane trip. Some people just have better directions.
Keepin' it wheel

#5 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9 incomplete

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Memory foam mattress in my estimation is the best for healthy skin. You can lay in on position for hours and there would be no red marks on the bonny area of the body. The height of the bed is
23" high.

Edited by Chilepepper, 28 November 2006 - 09:18 PM.

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!

Regards

Marty

#6 Margaret Cameron

Margaret Cameron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:26 PM

Memory foam mattress in my estimation is the best for healthy skin. You can lay in on position for hours and there would be no red marks on the bonny area of the body. The height of the bed is
23" high.

#7 dkent

dkent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5-c6 quad incomplete

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:08 AM

I was wondering if any quads use a regular bed? I was told that I would have to use a hospital bed since I was a quad. My wife wants so badly to get back into one bed again, She has seen some bed on tv that raise'es your head and feet up and down just like a hospital bed does but we never really looked into the price before.

Guess we need too...

So for the ones that uses the memory form you think they work really good? Right now I have a jel filled form that lays over my mattress and it's got my body imprinted into it I just can't get comfortable I have been putting a thin pillow under my butt here lately and that helps out great.

Anyone with any ideas let me know..

Also I use the bed rails to help turn I was wondering how easy they would be to mount to a regular bed frame if we was able to ..

#8 dkent

dkent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:13 AM

Also I was wondering if the memory foam keeps your back hot. Since I lay on my back all night I have that problem of my back sticking to the foam I use now. :P

#9 percepied

percepied

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Complete

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:19 AM

Also I was wondering if the memory foam keeps your back hot. Since I lay on my back all night I have that problem of my back sticking to the foam I use now. :P

Yep! Before I bought my Tempur-Pedic brand memory foam mattress I was told by the sales' associates the foam would hold my body heat as well as position. They weren't kidding.
"We are beings for themselves trying to be beings in themselves." J.P. Sartre

#10 Survivor35

Survivor35

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Country:the middle of nowhere, on the eastern shore of maryland, USA
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-6 paraplegic incomplete

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:01 PM

I just have a memory foam overlay, and it is fantastic. I dont move around a lot at night, and I'm not scared because of it like I was before... I've yet to have any sort of redmark left on my body because of a hard mattress, since I bought it. And of course, there are the memory foam mattresses, I just haven't bitten the bullet and bought one yet, the overlay was somewhat less expensive.
"Courage is the art of being the only one who knows that you are actually scared to death"Chrissy
T-6 incomplete para

#11 Chilepepper

Chilepepper

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9 incomplete

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:53 AM

Memory foam mattress is the way to go. dkent your wife will love also. You can get the mattress in different firmness so that both of you would enjoy the bed. The best to know if you would enjoy it would be to talk with one of the bedding people and have them explain to you what these beds can do for you.
LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY,
BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!

Regards

Marty

#12 rescuedobemom

rescuedobemom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5incompL3-5 incomp

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:04 AM

Memory foam mattress is the way to go. dkent your wife will love also. You can get the mattress in different firmness so that both of you would enjoy the bed. The best to know if you would enjoy it would be to talk with one of the bedding people and have them explain to you what these beds can do for you.

Agree on memory foam, with one caveat. We bought a 4" foam mattress to go OVER the memory mattress, to solve the hot in summer/cold in winter problem. Just remember to have your AB helper turn it every couple of weeks. It will last longer.

#13 Trail-Boss

Trail-Boss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3/C4 Incomplete

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:39 AM

Memory Foam-Memory Foam-Memory Foam!!!!!!
Trail-Boss and I sleep on two twin size next to each other. That way if I deside that I don't like the foam anymore, I can change.
He hasn't had a sore or even a red mark for a year now, and thats when we purchased them. The head and feet elevate and it even vibrates. For two twins it cost us $3167.00, I know, ouch!!! But well worth it.
CMC/SupremeComfort.com

2010 Route 9W suite#2
Milton NY 12547

We got the Split King Sleep Master 6500 and they deliver and set it up, did I mention it also has a remote... It was one of thier less exspensive ones, works great.

I worked with Denny 1-800-314-9660 ext. 105
30 yr. warrenty Battery back up...Check 'em out.

Trail-Boss and Stick-Tight
Good Luck

#14 girlracer

girlracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 - C6
  • Injury Date:14-02-2004

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

I've got a Vermeiren bed like this one...
Posted Image
it goes up and down, so does the back bit and the knees and legs...
Posted Image

And then as a mattress I use a Tempur one, which is a memory foam one!

I'd recommend both... the bed is nice cause I looks like a normal bed so the hospital look is gone!

Posted Image
The greatest victory is that which I have yet to achieve! - Enzo Ferrari

#15 dkent

dkent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:42 AM

That's a pretty neat looking bed girlracer.

My problem with the foam overlay I have now is that it holds in the heat and my back gets so hot I stick to it. I only lay on my back so I really can't get away from the heat. Is the memory foam any different?

Dan

#16 margaret

margaret

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:husband is quad c-6

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

My husband is a quad C5/6 complete. We have 2 twin size craftmatic beds, side by side. The mattress that came with the bed "broke down" over about 4 years and he would be sitting in a "hole". He tried all the air matress, memory foam, temperpedic, etc. and the only mattress that he found worked well for him and when pressure mapped, showed no pressure spots when flat is the Sleep Number Bed. We have had this for close to a year now and it fits the frame of the craftmatic. It works really well in that you can adjust the firmness to your liking. Just another option for ya.

#17 4Wheels

4Wheels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-6

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

For 23 years me and my wife had a queen sized soft side Waterbed.... I loved it, only drawbacks were it didn't raise or lower and I screwed up the water pressure which gave me 2 bed sores.
Then I got a hospital bed with a 8" 6 tube Air mattress.... I hated it, was uncomfortable.
Then I got a Alternating Pressure Air Mattress for it..... I hated that more???

Now we just spent $3,200 for a Tempur Pedic Queen Bed that raises and lowers the head and feet and I think it feels too hard. It also vibrates.... It was the Classic Model. My wife says my skin looks fine after laying for 8 hours before turning. Should I have got a different model Tempur Pedic?

I must be getting old.......

Jim :P
For Those About to Rock, I Salute you!

#18 bedrock

bedrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:tetraplegic

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:21 PM

HI!

Bedrock is a c6/7 tetra, we sleep together in a kingsize bed on a orthosoft mattress that was about £200 compaired to >£1,500 for a tempur mattress. Its memory foam and really comfy, no red marks etc.

Hope this helps

Lucy
Bedrock

#19 ParaforGod

ParaforGod

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:05 AM

I also have a Craftmatic Bed but I have a Tempur Pedic mattress on it and it works great. I lay on my back all night because I hurt so bad while on my side. I had a pressure point sore one time before I got the Tempur Pedic mattress and haven't had any problems sense. I have had the mattress about three years and I love it. The rods in my back don't hurt as much because it seems they mold into the mattress. I wouldn't change back to any other. Sense you already have the Craftmatic bed it may be cheaper to by the Tempur pedic mattress which works well with the bed instead of buying a new bed and mattress. Hope this helps

#20 4Wheels

4Wheels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:29 AM

I wonder if all Tempur Pedic Mattresses are the same firmness? I know ours is 9" thick.
My wife picked the bed out, she loves it. I don't mind it laying on my side, but it feels too firm on my back..... I thought I would sink way down in it. Still have 2 months to decide if we are going to keep it.

Jim

#21 rkzenrage

rkzenrage

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5, S1, stenosis

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

I have memory foam mattress and find it terrific....though stayed on one that was too soft.......good solid memory for me.

I have the same mattress and LOVE IT! My quality of life has improved.

Thomas Jefferson-
"If a law is unjust not only does a man have the right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so!"

#22 4Wheels

4Wheels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:33 AM

I wonder if all Tempur Pedic Mattresses are the same firmness? I know ours is 9" thick.
My wife picked the bed out, she loves it. I don't mind it laying on my side, but it feels too firm on my back..... I thought I would sink way down in it. Still have 2 months to decide if we are going to keep it.

Jim

Well I exchanged yhr 9" Classic Tempur Pedic mattress for a Sealy Posturepedic TrueForm Visco 11" mattress... I still liked my old soft side water bed best, but I can lay on my back or sides up to about 7 hours brfore I get uncomfortable. Maybe I'll keep this one!

Comfort - Padding Layers
• 3 types of foam layers laminated together
• 1 1/4" Visco Memory Foam
• 3 3/4" Convoluted Visco Memory Foam
• 6" High Density Visco Foam

#23 LuckyinKentucky

LuckyinKentucky

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

I use a two inch memory overlay... works great for me, you can use your old mattress underneath, & cost between 100- 400$

#24 Brandi

Brandi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t1

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

Being that everyone is on topic of beds....I hope someone can relate to the problem that I have. I have a T-1 level of injury. My question....does anyone but me(pun intended, butt) have the problem of one's butt lying in the same spot regardless of which sides one sleeps? Unfortunately, this breaks down the mattress in the butt area, thus making a large indention. I had a nice extra firm pillowtop mattress, and the same issue occurred. Then, we purchased a Tempur Pedic memory foam, extra firm. The mattress company promised me that the indention would not occur. Well, it has been nearly 10 months, and my butt slides into the hole regardless of me trying to slide to the edge. Unfortunately, I have back pain along with the mattress issues. My warranty runs out in two months, so I need to make a decision promptly about keeping this expensive mattress. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

#25 seeker

seeker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:wife of c6/7

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:44 AM

My hubby and I are looking into this one:

www.satbed.comSAT beds
Life is what you make it....and only you have that choice.

#26 Cheshire

Cheshire

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5 incomplete

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:52 AM

When I was living with my parents after the hospital, my mom got a memory foam cover...thingie to pad the double bed I would be sleeping in. The bed itself was between firm and really firm...and despite that the memory foam thing was heaven! Definately beat out the inflating hospital mattress.

When I moved back home in March, I had to get a new bed, as mine was originally purchased with green stamps. :( I went with my mom and best friend and all three of us tried out every bed in the store and then a few! I ended up with a pillow-top Sealy posturpedic. The mattress itself is medium-to-lightly firm (for support) and the pillow-top is plush and soft. I sink in just enough to be comfortable! Apparently they're really good beds: if I'm not looking and the puppy (3 years old) gets up on my bed and falls asleep, she hunkers down and pouts when I tell her to get off!

#27 john S.

john S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-6

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

[/quote]
Can you folks be specific about the Memory Foam.? What density did you get? Plus the thickness?
The best mattress I ever had was one of those noisey aiy thingees! If you use them right they will heal a wound in a few weeks. The problem I see most often is people are not using them properly.
I'm not selling the things but in over 30 years of studies and testing of surfaces, low air loss mattresses were the only mattresses where people actually healed wounds while laying on the wound on the mattress. The drawback with these mattresses is the manufacturers have never settled on a specific amount of air loss. They are often very much alike but purchasers have no real guidelines. This is why Med/Med won't buy them in many states.
If you don't have a wound, do not throw away the mattress! Keep it in case you need it in the future.
As far as beds go, the best medical bed is hill-rom.
The bed pro series is new and may have some good deals. Like to see a review on it?
I used a hill-rom 840 series for 32 years. They are about to become cheap because hill-rom is about to end the parts run for that model.

good luck,
john

#28 Brad

Brad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:paraplegic / son

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

Geeze louise - I'm sure glad somebody chimed in on the AP air mattress (overlays). Mom has had real good luck with the basic Invacare Careguard AP pad until recently when out of an abundance of caution we requested an upgrade. She is trying to heal a tissue breakdown (unrelated to her mattress) and is spending about 18 hours in bed. With severe scoliosis and paraplegia (midriff down), we don't have all of the repositioning options. We are now using Medline's MedTech 5000 LAL AP mattress overlay. It is quiet and mom seems to be very comfortable. My only concern was highlighted in the last post. While there are weight settings for proper pressure (she's about 104 Lbs.), I'm never quite confident that the setting of 100 Lbs. is correct. I digress here sorry. But while it is evident that the 5" cells do alternate pressure, the inflated cells (air blatters) (while they're inflated) feel so firm to me. But that's how the inflated bubble cells on the Invacare unit seemed to me as well. I'm thinking that she should be floating in a soft bed (everything cushioned soft) at all times. But I suppose what happens is in order to create the AP effect, you have to have alternate rows of cells firm and alternate rows of cells deflated (soft). The cycling is done at 8 minutes intervals. Oh well, so far so good. No issues at all and she lies in one position (left side).

#29 Illinois Boy

Illinois Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6
  • Injury Date:08-06-1982

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

Geeze louise - I'm sure glad somebody chimed in on the AP air mattress (overlays). Mom has had real good luck with the basic Invacare Careguard AP pad until recently when out of an abundance of caution we requested an upgrade. She is trying to heal a tissue breakdown (unrelated to her mattress) and is spending about 18 hours in bed. With severe scoliosis and paraplegia (midriff down), we don't have all of the repositioning options. We are now using Medline's MedTech 5000 LAL AP mattress overlay. It is quiet and mom seems to be very comfortable. My only concern was highlighted in the last post. While there are weight settings for proper pressure (she's about 104 Lbs.), I'm never quite confident that the setting of 100 Lbs. is correct. I digress here sorry. But while it is evident that the 5" cells do alternate pressure, the inflated cells (air blatters) (while they're inflated) feel so firm to me. But that's how the inflated bubble cells on the Invacare unit seemed to me as well. I'm thinking that she should be floating in a soft bed (everything cushioned soft) at all times. But I suppose what happens is in order to create the AP effect, you have to have alternate rows of cells firm and alternate rows of cells deflated (soft). The cycling is done at 8 minutes intervals. Oh well, so far so good. No issues at all and she lies in one position (left side).

I have an Alternating air pressure matress, couldm't stand it........ Felt like I was laying on 6 inch railroad ties, spaced 6 inches apart......

Jim

Edited by Illinois Boy, 21 December 2007 - 05:56 PM.

For Those About To Rock, I Salute To You......
My Store Click on ads at bottom of my site please....

#30 Brad

Brad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:paraplegic / son

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

I have an Alternating air pressure matress, couldm't stand it........ Felt like I was laying on 6 inch railroad ties, spaced 6 inches apart......

Jim

Comfort aside, did you have problem ever with tissue breakdown on the AP mattress? Comfort doesn't seem to be an issue for mom (and she does speak her mind freely :shitfan: ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.