7 replies to this topic

#1 Trail-Boss

Trail-Boss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3/C4 Incomplete

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:41 AM

Trail-Boss would like to know if it is common for people with SCI to have low blood pressure. He is only one year into his injury. Lately his blood pressure seems, is, pretty low. Today it was 86 over 62, Doc didn't seem too concerned. Is it because of lack of movement or what? We both are a little concerned, But he wanted to here from people who knew first hand.
Thanks,
Trail-Boss and Stick-Tight

#2 juless

juless

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:friend is t9

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:53 PM

Hey Trailboss

Yes it's very common and I see it all the time moreso with quads then paras. I think (i'd have to check to be sure) that some quads have problems controlling blood pressure. No I'd not be too concerned and let me give you a super simple solution to raise BP drink plenty of water. When I have a patient with low BP we give IV 1litre of fluid bolus (usually over an hour). Now you can't do that if you have renal problems (kidney problems) and if you have them you know.

Drink more water unless you're on fluid restrictions. Drink 4-6 glasses of water in a couple of hours but I'd not stress about it. Start stressing at 60/40 type numbers.

juless

#3 Becca82

Becca82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5Cmplte/Partner/Carer
  • Injury Date:30-12-2003

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

Hey trail-boss. my partner is C4/5 complete tetra, and has major issues with blood pressure, he has to wear a binder all day everyday to make sure that he doesnt pass out once he is up in his chair!
If his blood pressure is low he finds it really difficult to be sat up, and cant eat as its too tiring.
I has just told me that the low blood pressure is caused by the glands in his neck. Apparently, when you are aralysed these are affected (obviously not everyone will be the same!!) But.. so when an AB person goes from lying/sitting to standing, the valves in the glands shut off so that all the blood does not rush to the feet (although mine as an Ab does not work great, so when i stand i get a head rush/blackout often). Because of the paralysis, the glands do not effectively work, or something, and so the blood pressure drops, as he goes from a lying to sitting position.
Is it an ongoing thing, ie does he feel sick all day because of low blood pressure, or is it only at certain times of the day, after eating for example??
My partner said that he doent find that drinking helps him, but that is not to say that it doesnt work for some!!
hope this is of some help, maybe fill us in on some more info, and more suggestions could follow!
If it is a constant thing, then a binder might be the way forward!??!!

bec

#4 Izziwhizzi

Izziwhizzi

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6 - complete

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:46 PM

Trail-Boss would like to know if it is common for people with SCI to have low blood pressure. He is only one year into his injury. Lately his blood pressure seems, is, pretty low. Today it was 86 over 62, Doc didn't seem too concerned. Is it because of lack of movement or what? We both are a little concerned, But he wanted to here from people who knew first hand.
Thanks,

Hi

Its because us tetras sympathetic nervous system is all done in so low blood pressure is always a problem. Mine is good - at about 90/40 - and has been that for over 20 years - it is normal.

Eating does lower your blood pressure (blood gets diverted to stomah I think), as does drinking alcohol (with AB'S it relaxes the blood vessels - hence a glass or two of red wine once or twice a week is good for those with high blood pressure) and obviously getting from the lying down to sitting up position. With the latter do it slowly if you pass out. With a low blood pressure you obviously get less blood pumping around, the oxygen in the blood is needed to feed your muscles & obviously also especially to your brain, hence the passing out.

There are many C4's out there without binders/corsets so you can get used to the lower blood pressure too but you may feel dizzy sometimes.

And remember that Autonomic Dysrelfexia occus when our low blood pressure gets higher and closer to the AB norm - so we don't want that do we?

L xx

#5 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,677 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

The condition of low blood pressure is called Postural (Orthostatic) Hypotension.

Postural (Orthostatic) Hypotension

Postural hypotension, also known as orthostatic hypotension, is a condition which results in a decrease in blood pressure when you sit or stand. This can cause "light-headedness" or "fainting". It occurs more commonly when you are first injured, when you are fatigued, or after an illness. There is an increased tendency for postural hypotension if the level of injury is at T-6 or above, but it can occur in all spinal cord injured individuals.

Postural hypotension after a SCI occurs since the blood vessels do not decrease in size, in response to lowered blood pressure, due to the altered function of the autonomic nervous system. Because of this, blood pools in the pelvic region or legs while you are sitting or sanding. Postural hypotension usually occurs when you are initially placed in your wheelchair or on the tilt table.

Prevention: Wear elastic hose and an abdominal support and come to sitting or standing positions gradually. If postural hypotension occurs tilt or lay backward until you are nearly horizontal to the floor. This increases blood pressure and the "fainting" will quickly disappear.

Regards

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#6 Trail-Boss

Trail-Boss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3/C4 Incomplete

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

We thank-you all so very much for all the info.
We are now ,not so-o-o concerned, anymore. The body sure goes thru alot of changes, and we sure are learning alot as we go. This blood pressure thing makes alot more sense to us now. Thanks again...
(I do know that a little Kiss brings the pressure up a tad too...Tee-Hee)

#7 ziggy

ziggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C/6 quad

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

My blood pressure gets so low at times,i had a nurse ask me once,are you sure your alive after she had trouble getting a reading.

#8 chrisNamanda

chrisNamanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-6 complete/partners

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:38 AM

Hey Trail-Boss
Does your partner take baclafen or any spasm meds? cuz that seems to be a problem with my fiance with he's blood pressure going low.After he takes he's meds he's blood pressure drops about 30 mins later......

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.