Photo
- - - - -

Hand Controls For Manual Transmission Cars...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7/t8 complete para

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:34 AM

i've searched for a long time. drivematics are not available, and the last time i called them they said to me "it's more than i can afford." they don't konw me and with that customer service i decided not to even deal with them. my friend recently ran into an article in a car magazine regarding www.rediautosport.com hand controls for a manual transmission cars. i was reading up on this and it seems like a very easy solution for me to drive a stick again. i am a car fanatic and would love to take my car to a race track or to the twisties in the mountains. i emailed them for the cost and it is a bit high appr. $6450 for my application but i definately will do it soon with a different car. they are here in california it's a 6 hour drive but i may be willing to do this in the near future when i purchase another car.

just wanted to share what i found for those who are car buffs and are interested in a hand control for manual transmission cars.

i have found others hand controls from europe, but i had no luck contacting them.

rediautosport.com for more info.
adaptivesportsforums.com/

#2 Roooost

Roooost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 Complete
  • Injury Date:04-04-1993

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:53 AM

Hi,

I've gotten into a bit of racing and i found the best thing is a modified tiptronic automatic. I race a WRX with an automatic tiptronic transmission, i have tapped into the wiring and mounted an up/down shift switch on the hand control, this allows me to change gears without taking my hand off the wheel. i have had the valve body modified to produce a more direct shift in the auto. i really find the automatic is not such a disadvantage and am quite competitive against able bodied drivers with manual transmission cars of the same class.

The thought of a manual is great but when you get down to it the advantage of having a manual on the race track is far outweighed by the dis advantage of having to take your hand off the wheel to operate a clutch/ gear shifter while trying to accelerate, brake and steer at the same time with the other hand.

I do miss driving a manual but riding manual bikes and ATV's feeds my need for a clutch. A sequential gearbox in a car with a push button air shifter would be perfect though if you had that kind of money to throw around.
Cheers

Marcel
-----------
T6 Complete

Check my site http://www.10fx.com

#3 blckchns

blckchns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3 Complete

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:31 AM

I drive a Subaru STI and it's a stick shift. Rediautosport has a nice kit, but they wanted to charge me about 12K and that was more then I could afford. I had a kit made by 5Zigen installed and I use it with my Sure Grips. The good thing is that it only cost me about $2500, the bad thing is that you have to order the kit from Japan and then find a shop to install it.

Here's a link for pics:

http://web.mac.com/d.../Cobb/COBB.html

#4 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2 complete
  • Injury Date:16-03-2003

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

I know it can technically be done but I just can't see the point. We just don't have enough hands for a manual transmission. Coming into a corner you're going to be braking hard so you can either steer or downshift but you can't do both. Just doesn't seem like it'd be very safe either on a track or on the twisties. I've tried using the manual control on my auto box and it just doesn't work for hard driving as far as I can see, it's fine accelerating but braking is where you gain most time and where it just doesn't work safely. The triptronic seems to be the way to go with either a switch or steering wheel mounted paddles.
Russ - T2complete

#5 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7/t8 complete para

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:26 AM

I have a 2006 audi a4 with a tiptronic transmission. I was considering upgrading the vb and tq converter so i can add a larger turbo. I still have the urge to drive a manual transmission car though.

blckchns...i've seen your post about your car. I've found the 5Zigen product when it first came out a year or so back but I wanted a complete hand control setup. Your setup does look like it is easy to drive. I like the throttle ring around the steering wheel with the rediauto setup.

I don't think i'll end up getting this setup. I can just upgrade the valve bodies and torque converter to handle more power on my tiptronic transmission.
adaptivesportsforums.com/

#6 Big Valley

Big Valley

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7/T1 Complete. Me --->

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:46 AM

I have been interested in a manual control for a long time. Mostly thinking about it for a dune buggy or lower tech fun vehicle and not my daily driver. Automatics in those types of things are definitely not the same. Something like this below.

Posted Image

I have always had my hand controls mounted on the right. If I could just have a motorcycle type clutch mounted on the steering wheel for my left hand I think that would be usable with little trouble.

Automatics have come a long way from how they used to be and the cost of modify a manual car doesn't seem worth the trouble or cost. But we all have our interests. I was very happy with the automatics in my Trans Ams. But had to sell them when I went back to school for my master's degree. Plus insurance was a killer on those cars. Now I am happy with my paid off Grand Prix GTP with many add ons for fun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I added some pics of my hand controls in my Grand Prix. I installed them myself as I had on my other cars. Not really hard. Plus I could take the time to really get them up and out the way as much as possible but still look good. Many places just stick them in however is quicker for them and not their actual use.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Ramiro

Ramiro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5/

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:12 AM

hi i always wanted to drive a stick but never saw anyone that had a kit to drive manual do u have a pic of your setupor should i just stick with an auto. But i want a car that i can use for the street and one that i can race with what car do u recommend to buy. I use a wheelchair by the way. Thanks

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.