Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Are Quadriplegics Supposed To Sweat?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Monty76

Monty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3-C4/Love of my life!

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:39 AM

Are quadriplegics supposed to sweat?

#2 Quadvet

Quadvet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 5/6 complete

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:11 AM

I sweat like a pig but only with physiological [EDIT: physical] pain that is causing it as a symptom of autonomic dysreflexia. I don't sweat because of heat. If I'm sweating, something is causing pain.

Edited by Quadvet, 01 May 2007 - 12:01 PM.

#3 KimAndSophie

KimAndSophie

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6 complete

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

I'm a c6 complete and I sweat normally from my shoulders up, but the only time I "sweat" anywhere else is if I have AD. Then I sweat normally from my shoulders up, but it's a very co0ld clammy sweat from my shoulders down. My face and shoulders will be really hot and sweaty, but the rest of my body wil be really cold and clammy. Julian says he can pretty much tell where my sensation stops because in that area I go from hot to cold. :unsure:

#4 Quadvet

Quadvet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 5/6 complete

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

I only "sweat" above my level of sensation C5/6 complete, but again, for me it is only with AD. It is an early warning signal for me. The open pores and sweat make me freeze.

#5 quad

quad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c -3

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:30 AM

the same thing applies for me as well it's usually because it's the beginning of something that could be worse. As all of the above questions.
I live my life with pride because it's hard to swallow.

#6 hockeydahc

hockeydahc

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 inc. walk w cane
  • Injury Date:09-16-2001

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

I only sweat above injury level. From info on and off site, sweating glands are triggered by nerves and the spinal cord.

#7 john S.

john S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5-6

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

I only sweat above injury level. From info on and off site, sweating glands are triggered by nerves and the spinal cord.

Same here.
If I'm sweating it is because I'm in pain and getting close to starting an AD seizure. Feel the anxiety growing as you sweat more? Try to ignore it by getting into the computer and finally, hyper-sensitive, having spasms and blood pressure going UP. No tolerance, then barely able to speak.
You have just had a seizure that could have been prevented by taking pain meds when anxiety occured. I always feel like a dork when I do that.
One doctor told me someday the meds won't work. I usually use vicodin or synthetic morphine along with atenalol for blood pressure.
Atenelol is probably the wrong med for blood pressure. It is all I have though.
Good luck dealing with your problem.

john

#8 smokymtn memories

smokymtn memories

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-C6 L-4 Incomplete

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:02 PM

Only on my face/forhead and then it has to be really hot for temps to affect me. Or, I have to be in a lot of pain and struggling to walk or do something physical.

I don't seem to notice much unless the temps get above eighty-five or so.

#9 kiwiquad

kiwiquad

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5 sensory incomplete

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

[quote name='Monty76' date='Apr 29 2007, 05:39 PM' post='32609']

Yes...
I only sweat on my right-hand side from my break level up.
Anyone else a 1-sided sweater?? :H2kOther (26):

"Feel the fear, & do it anyway"

#10 kewlcatkez

kewlcatkez

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:= T10- L1 incomplete

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

john

Hi John S,

Cardiology is my forte, so please forgive me if you are well aware of the following already:

Actually, Atenolol® is not a bad thing to take for Hypertension. Atenolol is one of the group of ßeta blockers. I have to say that these days it is often used primarily in the lowering of the heart rate in those at risk of, or following a Myocardial infarction. It works by slowing the heart rate and relaxing the blood vessels so the heart does not have to pump as hard. This in turn lowers the pressure.

If you have significant hypertension, then Atenolol is usually used in combination with Ramipril ® for example. Ramipril and other Ace-Inhibitors came out on top so to speak in clinical and Scientific trials, as severely reducing the risks of CHD when used in conjunction with Low dose Aspirin, ßeta blockers and Statins ( coupled with Lifestyle changes).

HTH

Take care,

K
Ex Nurse (med retired)
Connective tissue disorder & associated paralysis.

#11 john S.

john S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

[quote name='kiwigurl' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:50 AM' post='50071']

Yes...
Anyone else a 1-sided sweater?? B)
[/quote]
Sometimes I sweat on the right side and other times I sweat on the left side. At the same time my blood pressure on the sweating side goes way up and that side turns bright red. I never sweat from heat.

john

#12 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

I'm one of those "sweat-no-mores"
I used to sweat like a dog. . .and not just from doin' it like one, he he :H2kOther (26):
now, the occasional Autonomic D kicks in, but few and far between.
Why do I waste my $$ on antiperspirant deodorant anymore is anyones guess?? Old habits die hard.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#13 noone

noone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4-c6

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

[quote name='kiwigurl' date='Jan 17 2008, 11:50 AM' post='50071']

Yes...
Anyone else a 1-sided sweater?? :drive:
[/quote]
hi
i am an one side sweater.arm and shoulder.usually triggered by pain somewhere in my body.
i really really hate it. more than anything. :D :helpme:
noone

#14 Monty76

Monty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

Same here.
If I'm sweating it is because I'm in pain and getting close to starting an AD seizure. Feel the anxiety growing as you sweat more? Try to ignore it by getting into the computer and finally, hyper-sensitive, having spasms and blood pressure going UP. No tolerance, then barely able to speak.
You have just had a seizure that could have been prevented by taking pain meds when anxiety occured. I always feel like a dork when I do that.
One doctor told me someday the meds won't work. I usually use vicodin or synthetic morphine along with atenalol for blood pressure.

john

I just dont understand, i sweat all over, i mean pretty bad, especially at night or if it is hot outside, and my injury is C3-C4...i mean my feet even sweat during the day.....I have never had a AD attack, knock on wood..is it normal, or is there some other explaination for it?

#15 qbounce

qbounce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7 Complete (so I'm told)

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:38 PM

Monty, it doesn't say but are you incomplete. . . maybe that makes a difference? :)
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

#16 Monty76

Monty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:17 AM

yes i am an incomplete

#17 Illinois Boy

Illinois Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6
  • Injury Date:08-06-1982

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

Ditto,

Like eveyone else I sweat from my shoulders up, and some on my back.....

I used to drive 25 miles to and from work, and when my van air conditioner quit..... I'd have my buddies at work pour a pitcher of cool water all over my t-shirt...... So I could make it home on those days when the temperature was 95-100 degrees......

I don't miss those days....

Jim

:D
For Those About To Rock, I Salute To You......
My Store Click on ads at bottom of my site please....

#18 Mike (c4-5) & Lorena

Mike (c4-5) & Lorena

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-5 / None

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

I dont think most quads do sweat. The temperture controller that regualates swet is below quad status on the spine. The only time I sweat is if I hasve bowel or urinary issues. Or, my body is hurting somewhere.

#19 john S.

john S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:22 PM

I dont think most quads do sweat. The temperture controller that regualates swet is below quad status on the spine. The only time I sweat is if I hasve bowel or urinary issues. Or, my body is hurting somewhere.

There it is as simple as it gets!! PEE, POOP, or PAIN. The 3 P's. when the sweating doesn't stop, or combines with shivers and High Blood pressure, you are into Autonomic Dysreflexia, or Hypereflexia. This can kill you. You should have a blood pressure pill with you at all times. After taking your Blood Pressure pill, check to see if you are urinating or need to be catheterized. if not, someone needs to check your bowel vault.
If you rammed or bumped something and thought it didn't hurt, well, you were wrong! Take a vicoden or two. Make an appointment to go see how bad your hurt.

best wishes,
john

#20 Its A Quad Thing

Its A Quad Thing

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5 incomplete

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:00 AM

I have been a quad now for 19 years. I didn't start having issues with sweating until about 9 years ago...about a month after being diagnosed with pneumonia.

I was sweating on just 1 side for about 3 years then one morning during my BM, I started sweating like a horse all over...just like some of you, above my injury level only. I get a mad heat rush in my face while feeling cold and clammy below my chest. I sweat when I urinate through my urostomy especially if I drink a lot. I take good care of my skin by doing my weight shifts and make sure I have no beginnings of pressure areas. Before my sweating started happening I had had 2 scary episodes with AD so, I know the feeling of a fast rising BP. I woke up about 3 AM one morning with what felt like a migraine times 100... before I had a seizure and passed out my CNA registered my BP at 185/105...how I didn't stroke out is a blessing. My other time was when I broke my right "pinky" toe. Man, talking bout throbbing. **** it hurt.

My question for others is... Do you sweat more when it's cold outside or hot outside? Myself personally...it's when it's cold out. I think it's because, I don't drink as much water and that I've constantly got a fan blowing on me when it's hot outside.

#21 sh1wn

sh1wn

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c3/c4 complete

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

Before my injury I used to sweat alot, now I hardly sweat. The only time I have really sweated was when I was last in the hospital and I would just start poring any time my head was down, I kept telling the doctor that it was not normal and all they could say was it must be because my SCI and that I should just get used to it. I kept trying to tell them something was wrong and I didn't want to leave, they didn't care and it was time for me to go. Well, we got the room all packed up and me in my chair just waiting for the nurse to sign me out. Then another nurse came in and said I wasn't going anywhere, a blood coulture had just come back and I had MRSA in my blood, after about 2 weeks of IV antibiotics the sweating stopped.

#22 spot

spot

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C1/C2 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:06-06-2009

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

I am an incomplete. My forehead sweats with heat, but nothing else. Other parts sweat only during AD episodes.

#23 Scott_C4-5

Scott_C4-5

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 4-5
  • Injury Date:23-07-1990

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:26 AM

My sweating is a little backwards than most. I hardly ever to never sweat above my injury level unless I wear too much clothing on a hot day. I do sweat (albeit slight) below my injury on my back and butt/groin. If something causes me to have AD symptoms I'll sweat above and below, depending on what the AD cause is. My feet use to sweat badly on a daily basis, but after swapping leathers sneakers for canvas converse, that ended.

#24 Illinois Boy

Illinois Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6
  • Injury Date:08-06-1982

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

I'm a c6 complete and I sweat normally from my shoulders up, but the only time I "sweat" anywhere else is if I have AD. Then I sweat normally from my shoulders up, but it's a very co0ld clammy sweat from my shoulders down. My face and shoulders will be really hot and sweaty, but the rest of my body wil be really cold and clammy. Julian says he can pretty much tell where my sensation stops because in that area I go from hot to cold. :unsure:

Ditto

Jim

For Those About To Rock, I Salute To You......
My Store Click on ads at bottom of my site please....

#25 Angel-girl

Angel-girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/C7 Incomplete
  • Injury Date:2007

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

For the past five weeks I haven't been able to sleep on my right side. After about an hour I all of a sudden feel hot and then start to sweat so I get turned to my other side and I might be ok for another hour, but then start sweating just not as bad. On my right side it almost feels tight and hot by my lower rib cage. The rest of my day I have been feeling hot, clammy, sweaty, cold and sometimes two of those just mixed together over most of my body, but my neck and face are just hot and sweaty.

#26 rollingtrouble

rollingtrouble

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5,6.7 incomplete
  • Injury Date:25-08-2003

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I sweat no more, when I roll in the heat I have to hose myself down and stay wet so I don't overheat. Usually by the time I realize I'm overheated its almost too late and I get sick :( It sucks when your body stops regulating temp.

Edited by rollingtrouble, 30 October 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Holy crip I'm a crapple!!!

#27 Baller95

Baller95

Intermediate Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Admin Note: Deliberate Breaking of Forum Rules

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Just like the last 100 people said, I only sweat when I get dysreflexic.

#28 jarvis smith

jarvis smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 / C6
  • Injury Date:14-09-1980

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Only sweat when something is going wrong with my body... its like my 911.

#29 Stand

Stand

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4 Incomplete, ASIA B
  • Injury Date:08-18-2009

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

I do not at all. Not a good thing when you're sitting outside unprotected from the sun, in horrible heat, like a knucklehead. Otherwise, it's a good thing!
If you don't try, you fail.

www.aaronwood.us

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.