Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Hair Like Strands In Urine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 benok

benok

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9 - T11
  • Injury Date:06-01-2003

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:54 AM

I just noticed that I urinated with lots of hair like strands. About four strands and they measue up to 1cm. My urine is clear and I tried to grab one of the strands and they are cylindrical in shape. It really bothered me a lot

Please advise if you also at one time saw this when you catheterize? It really is bothering me? I dont know how they got in to my bladder. Lucky that I see them. I hope it is not something of a major problem
http://ronaldlora.blogspot.com/

If you cannot face your problem,
the problem is your face.

#2 ParaforGod

ParaforGod

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:49 PM

Hi Benok,
When I worked in the lab at our healt dept. I use to check urines and never saw anything that looked like hair but you can get sediment in your urine which can mean infection or maybe a infection is starting. The sediment appears to look like long strands or just thick pieces and sometimes just thick all thru the urine. What color was it and is the urine dark? If the urine is dark it can make the sediment appear dark. Call your doctor and describe what it looked like if its infection he will probably put you on medication.

#3 benok

benok

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hello PfG, The best description I can think of is similar to the strands and ciolor of the fibers covering sweet corn. However the size is about 2 to 3 mm with four strands. Isnt it weird?

#4 ParaforGod

ParaforGod

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:53 PM

Im not a doctor but from all the urines I've checked it sounds like alot of sediment. You need to call the doctor and describe it to him just the way you did to me. Are you drinking alot of water. Drink all the water you can. You may be getting a bladder or kidney infection or you may already have one. Don't wait around go ahead and call your doctor. Keep us posted and let us know what the doctor tells you.

#5 benok

benok

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:41 PM

Hello again paraforGod, I think I know what I am trying to describe to you. It is a thread with knots that I have been urinating. I am one month old since I had cystolithotomy. I just dont know why there are threads that is coming out when I urinate. Is this usual for those who had cystolithotomy? Any response will be appreciated

#6 Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 (incomplete)
  • Injury Date:22-12-1985

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:12 PM

It is almost certainly mucus caused by an infection. The four strand effect might be caused by the fact that your cath has four "eye holes"?

T

Hello again paraforGod, I think I know what I am trying to describe to you. It is a thread with knots that I have been urinating. I am one month old since I had cystolithotomy. I just dont know why there are threads that is coming out when I urinate. Is this usual for those who had cystolithotomy? Any response will be appreciated

GRAVITY. I fought the law and the law won!

#7 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,629 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

I think tinbasher is on it. An infection of some kind is very likely.

I recently read that early physitians on shipboard would examine a seaman's urine for color and " thready appearance" to diagnose veneral diseases. The remedy for which was injection of mercury into the end of the ' equipment '.

Hopefully that's not an issue here, tho , some infection most likely is. It is definitly worth mentioning to your doctor.

Please excuse the spelling errors above, I seem to have misplaced my dictionary.

ed

#8 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,802 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:46 PM

This may not be an infection, but retro ejaculation.

This happens when semen is passed into the bladder rather than through the urethra, and is quite common for male SCI's.

Retro-grade ejaculation results from damage to the sympathetic innervation of the ejaculatory system and bladder neck. Such a condition may follow spinal cord or cauda equina injury, retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy, radical prostatectomy, or extensive abdominal surgery.

Regards

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#9 Deej

Deej

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2 complete

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

Wow Simon you are so well informed - if I ever get on 'Who wants to be a millionaire?' will you be my phone a friend ???
Deej

"non legitimus carborundum"

#10 ParaforGod

ParaforGod

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:24 PM

Benok get to your doctor and keep us posted.

#11 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:11 AM

I think it is safe to say......."GET TO A DOCTOR". There are lots of things that can go wrong with the human body. If the body has been damaged even more so. Having an SCI makes you more susceptible to UTI infections and other things as well. Any doctor will tell you that the sooner you come in the sooner they can treat you, and that problems are easiest to solve in the beginning. It is not advisable to delay seeking medical attention any longer. Please even if it means going to an Emergency Room....just go. :mfrlol:
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.