• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PunkPrincess

PunkPrincess

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-9

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:00 PM

Hi everybody I'm new here and I have a couple of questions for anyone willing to help.

I've been in a wheelchair for five years now. And I got married a year ago. since then I've put on a few pounds Lollll!!!

anybody with any good ideas and diet tips on how to lose pounds for sure and safe?

I recently bought an exercise equipment. One of those stands to exercise with. It's pretty nice since it gives me a great feeling when I stand up and feel as if I can still stand on my own.

Do you think it's a good exercise plan or do I need something else?
All I know is that I know nothing

#2 Roooost

Roooost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 Complete
  • Injury Date:04-04-1993

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:41 AM

Heya,

I just lost a lot of weight and its not hard, i went from a tight fitting size 36 pants to lose fitting size 32. This is what i did....

1 eat right.... you know when you think, hmmm i really shouldn't be eating this fried chicken? don't eat it... Have 3 healthy small meals a day and snack on fruit. The more smaller meals you have the higher your metabolism and the quicker you burn energy.

2... At least 30 mins exercise a day. i go for a push in my day chair on my lunch break every day for 30 - 45 mins. im also quite active most weekends but don't do any sport in particular to get fit.

3... Alcohol makes you fat!.... I went from binge drinking lots of burbon and cola every weekend to having a beer or three every now and then.

4... Drink lots of WATER. Every can of soft drink is giving you a lot of extra energy you need to burn off otherwise it will turn to fat. Drinking lots of water is good for you and has no calories.

Making some minor changes like this to your life will have you losing weight slowly, it took me quite some time to see results but doing it like this makes it easier to stick to. I found exercise machines or programs are hard to stick to and if your like me in 6 months you will forget all about them.

Im a T6 and never thought id get rid of the budda belly but it can be done :D

Good luck!

Edited by Roooost, 25 June 2007 - 04:48 AM.

Cheers

Marcel
-----------
T6 Complete

Check my site http://www.10fx.com

#3 Big Valley

Big Valley

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C7/T1 Complete. Me --->

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:32 AM

What you eat is 75% of losing weight. Start reading labels and try to stick to between 1000-1400 calories a day taken in in as many small meals as you can. To few calories and your body goes into starvation mode and burns calories slower. To many and it gets stored as fat.

Eat a breakfast to get your metabolism started.

Try to have your last meal several hours before bed.

Cut down on carbs. Breads, rice, pasta, sugar.

Switch to diet sodas if you drink any.

But basically the way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take it. Eat less, move more. Lean muscle burns more calories so weight training helps too but cardio is the way to burn off calories.

Edited by Big Valley, 25 June 2007 - 05:33 AM.

#4 macca

macca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T1 incomplete

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:49 PM

I always eat oatmeal porridge for breakfast and I make it with skimmed goats milk (easier to digest than cows milk) plus I add oat bran for extra 'soluble' fibre.
If I get the nibbles before lunch then I have a few brazil nuts for my selenium needs.
At Lunch I have a substantial salad which will include cheese or cold meat, lettuce, homemade coleslaw (white cabbage, carrot, onion and salad cream) tomato, spring onions, fresh cooked beetroot and new potatoes.
During the afternoon I will have a small banana or a 'low GI bar' or 4/5 greek olives (my weakness).
That totals about 1500 calories which is fine for someone like me doing moderate exercise (ie walk the dog twice a day).

I never eat junk/ refined food and eat 'to make my calories count'.
Nor do I add any salt at all to my diet preferring to get all my sodium naturally from the food I eat. This also means that I don't drink much (sometimes I only manage a litre a day) because Im not having to get rid of un-natural sodium chloride. I don't drink anything carbonated or caffeinated.
my urine is clear and dilute, plus I rarely get UTIs, so I challenge the need to drink litres of water.

I am 5'8" and weigh about 140lbs which gives me a BMI of 21 which is about mid normal range, so I can't be doing too much wrong!

Once in a while, I seccumb to a glass of alcohol or good old british 'fish and chips' (removing the excess batter)!!

#5 hockeydahc

hockeydahc

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 inc. walk w cane
  • Injury Date:09-16-2001

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

point. diet sodas are not better for you than regular. the artificial sweeteners that make it lower calorie, deplete the body of much needed minerals including calcium! Sodas in general are horrible for health.

#6 Yasko

Yasko

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1&L2

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

Oatmeal, cereal, soymilk, salads and fruits! Do not believe in fast fat cutting deals and than expect to stay thin and healthy forever. In order to keep your weight down, you will have to change your life style for good.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too." - Voltaire
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

#7 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 T-5 incomplete

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

Excuse me people!
Can we take just a second and reflect on what's happening here?

This whole "let's exercise our selves to death" concept was perpetrated by the Soviets back during the cold war.
The idea was to convince us to lift weights, do push ups, run, run, run every day so we'd all be too tuckered out to defend ourselves when the commies come to take us over.

Would have worked too if I hadn'ta gone on over there my self and had a little chit-chat with the big wigs up close n' personal like. Know what I mean?
Which is to say, if you have a piece of the Berlin Wall, a souvenir so to speak, you can thank me, E-dog for it.

Anywho, why would anyone lift something really heavy over and over again and not get paid for it?
Why not just kick back with a six pack n' order another pizza. Good for the economy and good for you too. Every major food group, all in one handy
package. Tasty and priced right for the morbidly obese on the go.

If you really feel you must take off a few pounds, or stones as the case may be, gimmie a ring.
I've found some do it yourself liposuction instructions on the internet. Went from 360 pounds to 125 in no time at all. Been feeling kinda dizzy lately
but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Huh? What'd ya say? Never mind. Must be hearin' things.
Anyway, let me know, I'll cruise on out. Maybe do a little stem cell work on ya at the same time. Sort of a package deal, ya know. Toss in some Gobi desert slugs and bang zoom, we're good to go.

Keep in mind kiddies, I would NEVER, EVER steer you wrong. :thread jacked:
E-dog
when it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight, call the Marines.

I will nevah, EVAH take a pinch from a greasy muddahf*@kah like you!

How 'bout if I spell it out for ya. D-I-L-L-I-G-A-F

#8 fatdave

fatdave

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5/S1 cauda equina

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:23 AM

I also heard tape worms can do wonders.
Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard
US author (1856 - 1915)

#9 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 T-5 incomplete

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:43 AM

I also heard tape worms can do wonders.

And they're cheaper than linguini.

alright, i'll shut up
when it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight, call the Marines.

I will nevah, EVAH take a pinch from a greasy muddahf*@kah like you!

How 'bout if I spell it out for ya. D-I-L-L-I-G-A-F

#10 HiltonP

HiltonP

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:MD

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:25 AM

I try and follow a simple rule . . .
avoid anything which comes in a sealed packet, box, container or wrapper (and that includes drinks).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.