#1 Murray

Murray

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6, T10-T11, complete

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Growing a little worried - BP works OK; haven't had any accidents for some time. However, it seems like digital stimulation is becoming less effective. Does the body somehow become accustomed to this technique? The process once took only half an hour. Now I'm pushing a full hour for complete results. BTW, I'm T6-T11 complete.
Obey little. Resist much. -Whitman
Irrevence is the champion of liberty and its only defense. -Twain

#2 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:18 AM

Reflexes exercised regularly are likely to be maintained or even improved. But I doubt that there's any set rule.

But there's lots of reasons that can influence changes. Firstly, of course, diet. Also exercise and emotions. Not always simple to put your finger on the problem (opps).

I'd suggest you review all likely influences and try some changes.

Also, further explore your techniques. You probably think you've done this enough but for the rest of your life you're likely to keep learning more about yourself in subtle ways you never knew about. Slow down, be even more patient, more sensative. Learn.

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#3 Murray

Murray

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6, T10-T11, complete

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:46 AM

Thanks, Nomis -

Diet ... hmm. Coming out of construction, I had no problem eatin' like a horse and gaining no weight at all because of the exercise on the job. After the injury - living in the chair for a while - I've started to develop a belly. I can't flex my abs (T6) so I have to watch what I eat now. Pain in the butt. Exercise: During "off-season" I was in the school teaching game and did a lot of coaching. Football (American), basketball and cross country. There I worked out daily with the kids. Now, I'm enrolled in an open gym program at the local physical therapy clinic. Been hittin' the weights pretty hard, and trying to improve my balance (core muscles ... the ones I can "find".) Additionally, I'm working in the yard as much as I can, weeding, watering, planting, messin' around.

Extra attention to other things going on in my life makes sense. This whole game is a lot more holistic than I ever anticipated.

Thanks, again.
Obey little. Resist much. -Whitman
Irrevence is the champion of liberty and its only defense. -Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.