• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TE50

TE50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:23 AM

I have extreme wasting in my buttocks and i have severe pain when am sitting in the wheelchair. I have a high profile roho but it doesn't help with the pain on my ischiums.

Does anyone have any tips? Cushions, surgery procedures etc.

Please add any thoughts you may have whether you think they would be usefull or not.

I have slowly lost my mobility as i cannot sit in a car for 2mins while in motion as every bump is painfull, makes it impossible to drive safely.

thanks Matt.
T12 para resulting from spinal cord tumor surgery,Nov 20th 1998. Current ride Kuschall K4.

#2 Bob Clark

Bob Clark

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-5

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:26 PM

Hi TE50,

Have you tried adjusting the air pressure in the Roho? That's a rather obvious question but wanted to start with the easiest.

A fellow named Ironside posted this link in another thread.

http://www.aquilacorp.com/index.html

It's a new electronically controlled seat cushion. Maybe it's adjustable while you're sitting in it so you could change the pressure points as needed for relief.

Here's the $649 model. Ouch, that's expensive. Hopefully you have good medical insurance.

http://www.aquilacor...custom_air.html

The Airpulse model runs $2495! Triple ouch!

They do have a trial period and/or rental terms available.

Personally I use a Jay 2 cushion but I don't think it would offer you any more pain relief than a Roho. But you could always try out other cushions if you have a decent, helpful and perhaps even compassionate medical hardware or durable goods dealer in your area.

I don't particularly like riding in cars either. I feel like all my guts are bouncing around. But it doesn't hurt me like it does you.

Have seen a doctor about the pain? Perhaps find a Spinal Cord Injury Center in your area and visit them. Or give them a call on the phone. Or a pain relief clinic?

Here's a link to Craig Hospital. It's supposed to have the best Spinal Cord Injury Center around. Give them a call and ask about your situation.

http://www.craighosp...SCI/default.asp

There are nerve-specific, non-opiate pain meds like Neurotin that may help with neuropathic pain. Here's a FAQ link about it.

http://home.tampabay...ymecfs/nfaq.htm

If the pain gets real bad there's always the option of having the nerve(s) cut. Larry Flynt had terrible burning pain so had a radical nerve cutting surgery done. He said it helped him alot. But this is a "last resort" type of option.

I feel bad for you. That sounds very painful. And from what you wrote it seems like it's only going to get worse unless you find some professional medical help.

Best of luck.

EDIT:

Ooops, I just read in the other thread that you're already on Neurotin and other pain drugs.

"I am currently taking Neurotin 3600mg, amytriptelene (spelling) 200mg, baclofen 100mg and dantrolene 100mg per day."

Give Craig Hospital a call if don't have a SCIC in your area. Hang in there TE50.

#3 smkaplu

smkaplu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11/T12 Incomplete

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

I have the exact symptoms as you and still haven't found a cure yet. I was looking at investing a cushion my a company called Ride Cushions but don't have it in me to spend $1500 on a cushion I'm not sure cure my condition. I'm a complete T11/T12 para since 11/03. i wsa wondering if you have found a cure for your condition whether medically or hardware wise. I would appreciate a response from you on your cure if you have found any.

Thanks
Steve smkaplu@sbcglobal.net

#4 yazwack

yazwack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-12 incomplete

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

I have been a paraplegic for over 16 years and have experienced the same exact problem. What helped with me was acquiring a roho enhancer cushion. According to the OT who recommended it after I had pressure mapping done, the cushion takes the pressure off of the ischiums and evenly disperses it throughout a persons legs and the rest of the bum. Here is a link about this cushion

http://www.therohogr...al/enhancer.jsp

Hope this helps.

I have extreme wasting in my buttocks and i have severe pain when am sitting in the wheelchair. I have a high profile roho but it doesn't help with the pain on my ischiums.

Does anyone have any tips? Cushions, surgery procedures etc.

Please add any thoughts you may have whether you think they would be usefull or not.

I have slowly lost my mobility as i cannot sit in a car for 2mins while in motion as every bump is painfull, makes it impossible to drive safely.

thanks Matt.

#5 dom

dom

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

i have this exact same problem but i don't know if its wasting muscle? i have ces and no muscle tone in my gluteus maximus, it is numb and i can't flex the muscle i can walk a bit which is a godsend as i don't know how i would be able to sit in a w/c ? sitting in a chair for 5 mins brings the most uncomfortable sensation it feels like i have about 200kg in my lap and sitting on concrete even though i have cushions etc

i can;t even lie on my back in bed anymore due to the sensation of pressure on my backside, i dont understand it and will never get used to it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.