• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 suelaz

suelaz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 complete

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:05 PM

My daughter's boyfriend has a C5 complete SCI. He has an indwelling urine catheter. Whenever we're together I notice a strong smell of urine. My daughter doesn't detect it. I want to ensure that his colleagues and others aren't turned off by the odor. Is there any deodorizing product I can suggest to my daughter?

#2 xeena

xeena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

Hi,
Get him to use disposable bags that way he gets too change the bageveryday,also he should avoid spills during emptying,if spills occur should use strong antiseptic to clean,also avoid not emptying the bag for too long a period,and finallyhopeheaint lickingpaddedpants help.Hopethesearehelpful.

#3 maxsound

maxsound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 Complete motor

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

My daughter's boyfriend has a C5 complete SCI. He has an indwelling urine catheter. Whenever we're together I notice a strong smell of urine. My daughter doesn't detect it. I want to ensure that his colleagues and others aren't turned off by the odor. Is there any deodorizing product I can suggest to my daughter?

I am C5 complete also, have been for sixteen years. I have read your post over and over again, and though I see your concern, I think you need to be very careful and tactful how you handle this situation. Being C5 complete, he has lost control of a lot of things in life that the general population take for granted. He is probably doubly Incontinent as a result of his injury, and has to rely on other people to help him with this. Imagine sharing your toilet routine with other people, and being cleaned up by them. I still find myself embarrassed by this even after sixteen years. Also I’m going to have to see if there’s any medication I can take to control my constant farting. This is another embarrassment as we have no control over where and when they are going to pop out.

Imagine it “ John, this is mom and dad,. Mom and dad, this is John “ Baarp!! And A toxic cloud fills the room. I’m thinking of getting a discreet air freshener fitted to my wheelchair. It’s not my fault but it makes me want to make hasty exit.

In all this time I have not needed an in-dwelling catheter, but used an external self adhesive sheath catheter to a collection bag. At times this has leaked, and my bedding/ clothes have been swimming in urine. This obviously means my carers have to clean me/ shower me, wash all my bedding and/ or clothes, wash my wheelchair down and the floor. In all this time if it is done correctly then there shouldn’t be a smell of urine. Nobody wants to smell and when I lost control of my bodily functions I became very particular about this and the way my care was carried out.
My washing machine seems to be constantly on and my carers always cleaning, but I am lucky in the way that my care needs are well provided for like government funding. I.e. Independent living fund and Direct payments from the social services in the UK.

The thing is with some in-dwelling catheters, they can leak. If the catheter becomes blocked and the urine may bypass and leak around the pipe, also you can get a smelly discharge due to irritation around the catheter: this happened to me recently when I had to have a temporary catheter fitted. It even stopped me going out as I didn’t want anybody else to smell this on me. Adding to my paranoia of not wanting to smell, or even worse to be smelled by other people.

If you live in a hot climate and I should imagine this problem becomes greater.

Sometimes when I fill my catheter bag, depending on what I have eaten, I can smell the urine through the plastic. But then I have a very sensitive nose. If somebody was to tell me the I smelled of urine then I would be mortified. I would probably make a joke at the time, something like “ so, you’re ugly but I can wash!”, but inside I would be extremely embarrassed Every time I saw that person again.

Sorry for the long post, I’m lying in bed waiting for an operation to have a smelly superpubic catheter fitted [ I hope not!] and have a lot of spare time at the moment and love this speech to text software.

I just didn’t want him to feel insulted or embarrassed by your actions.

Good luck

#4 suelaz

suelaz

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

I am C5 complete also, have been for sixteen years. I have read your post over and over again, and though I see your concern, I think you need to be very careful and tactful how you handle this situation. Being C5 complete, he has lost control of a lot of things in life that the general population take for granted. He is probably doubly Incontinent as a result of his injury, and has to rely on other people to help him with this. Imagine sharing your toilet routine with other people, and being cleaned up by them. I still find myself embarrassed by this even after sixteen years. Also I’m going to have to see if there’s any medication I can take to control my constant farting. This is another embarrassment as we have no control over where and when they are going to pop out.

Imagine it “ John, this is mom and dad,. Mom and dad, this is John “ Baarp!! And A toxic cloud fills the room. I’m thinking of getting a discreet air freshener fitted to my wheelchair. It’s not my fault but it makes me want to make hasty exit.

In all this time I have not needed an in-dwelling catheter, but used an external self adhesive sheath catheter to a collection bag. At times this has leaked, and my bedding/ clothes have been swimming in urine. This obviously means my carers have to clean me/ shower me, wash all my bedding and/ or clothes, wash my wheelchair down and the floor. In all this time if it is done correctly then there shouldn’t be a smell of urine. Nobody wants to smell and when I lost control of my bodily functions I became very particular about this and the way my care was carried out.
My washing machine seems to be constantly on and my carers always cleaning, but I am lucky in the way that my care needs are well provided for like government funding. I.e. Independent living fund and Direct payments from the social services in the UK.

The thing is with some in-dwelling catheters, they can leak. If the catheter becomes blocked and the urine may bypass and leak around the pipe, also you can get a smelly discharge due to irritation around the catheter: this happened to me recently when I had to have a temporary catheter fitted. It even stopped me going out as I didn’t want anybody else to smell this on me. Adding to my paranoia of not wanting to smell, or even worse to be smelled by other people.

If you live in a hot climate and I should imagine this problem becomes greater.

Sometimes when I fill my catheter bag, depending on what I have eaten, I can smell the urine through the plastic. But then I have a very sensitive nose. If somebody was to tell me the I smelled of urine then I would be mortified. I would probably make a joke at the time, something like “ so, you’re ugly but I can wash!”, but inside I would be extremely embarrassed Every time I saw that person again.

Sorry for the long post, I’m lying in bed waiting for an operation to have a smelly superpubic catheter fitted [ I hope not!] and have a lot of spare time at the moment and love this speech to text software.

I just didn’t want him to feel insulted or embarrassed by your actions.

Good luck

Maxsound, thank you for your thoughtful reply. There is no way on earth that I would want to offend "Bill" or my daughter. illhas been very open discussing every aspect of his new normal life with our daughter. And she stays at his apartment three days/nights a week. although he has two attendants, my daughter has aprticipated in some of Bill's personal hygiene care. That is why I feel if I can find a simple solution, she can suggest it to him in a loving fashion.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. May you have the outcome you desire.

#5 Joed

Joed

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete para
  • Injury Date:04-29-1959

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

Here is some info that may be helpful: :)

Urine Odor

Primarily, lots of water intake will reduce the odor of urine.

Edited by Joed, 16 July 2007 - 06:51 PM.

Female. Incomplete para following a cord stroke in '03. Spina-bifida, severe scoliosis. 18 surgeries total...five spine-related: Three fusions w/hardware, two tethered cord releases.

#6 wheels5894

wheels5894

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:--

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

I would want to add to what Joed says, though drinking a lot solves most urine problems. I drink 3 - 5 litres a day and things are fine.

If there is a smell the urine need to be checked for infections. With a urethral catheter infections are very common, often E coli, but getting that treated would help.

Most drainage bags are mode of plastic that is somewhat porous so the smell can leak through. the makes it essential that the urine is kept thin by lots of fluids and needs to be changed regularly. In the UK we get t change every 5 days at which stage odour should not be a problem.

Hope sopme of that helps.

#7 suelaz

suelaz

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

Thanks you for the suggestions to increase fluids and change bags often. Now if I can find a way to raise the topic with my daughter w/o offending her...

#8 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,697 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

Hi,

Diet and fluid intake can play a big part in odour as well.

Garlic, Spices, Beer and Baked Beans always make my catheter smell.

But if I drink plenty of water, I can flush the smell out.

A good shower helps as well.

Simon :wink05:

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#9 Bulky

Bulky

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 Incomplete

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:18 AM

I used to be very concious of urine smell. Although some of the below are repeats, these things helped me greatly in reducing/eliminating urine smell:

1. catheter (spc) change every 4 weeks
2. changed from plastic to latex bag
3. wash latex bags out weekly, replace every 4 months
4. changed bag location from thigh to calf
5. drink minimum of 4l of water a day
6. eat good food

Hoping any of that helps.
Bulky

"Never Quit" - Dan 'Rudy' Ruettiger

#10 wheels5894

wheels5894

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:09 AM

Hi, Bulky! Latex bags? Didn't they go out years ago. I spent some time in the late 70s helping out as a volunteer at StoKe Mandeville and the latex 'kipper' bags really stank. Are thye that much better now?

#11 Bulky

Bulky

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5 Incomplete

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:03 AM

Hey wheels5894! I use Urocare bags & quick drain valves:

Latex Bags
Quick Drain Valve

As a virus based SCI (TM/Devics Disease/MS) left me C5 incomplete, my hand function sucks but my right leg functions fully. Hence, I throw my right leg onto the bowl, use my lower back muscles (yes my lower back on the right works n I have 25% on the left that works) to balance and Urocare my pee away.

If well looked after, the bags are the best in the biz for "calf attached collection" of your pee.
Bulky

"Never Quit" - Dan 'Rudy' Ruettiger

#12 wheels5894

wheels5894

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

Interesting , Bulky, I really did think latex had gone.. Tell me, how do you clean / sterilise the bags between uses? I presume you have 2 and use them to have one on and one being cleaned.

I am TM / virus based too but T6. I don't haver the back muscles but do have the hands.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.