Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Medical Marijuana

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Murray

Murray

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6, T10-T11, complete

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:39 AM

Some ambivalence here... Marijuana is still an illegal drug according to US federal law; however, California (and other states) permit individuals to grow and use weed, provided they have a doctor's prescription. I am new to the world of SCI. Never had to manage pain, never had any trouble eating well - in general, didn't suffer from any of the depression issues accompanying SCI. I have read that weed may provide some solution(s) to these and other problems. I am curious. Any firsthand experience out there? (I'm sure that several of you folks across the pond must find the Puritanical legal system of the US pretty silly. You're not alone! Many here do, too. Apparently, not enough.)

Edited by Murray, 03 August 2007 - 03:41 AM.

Obey little. Resist much. -Whitman
Irrevence is the champion of liberty and its only defense. -Twain

#2 nomis

nomis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Para T4
  • Injury Date:11-02-1970

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:55 AM

Here in the deep South Pacific of New Zealand it is:
1. Illegal
2. Present and popular
3. Blamed in the press for all ills

I once knew a T4 para who’d never tried it till about a year after becoming SCI. He’d been told that he couldn’t feel any sensation below the nipple line and, blow me down, when he ran his finger over his body he found that to be true. His feeling stopped at the nipple/armpit line.

So he was amazed and delighted on his first puff to realise that he was becoming aware of feelings deep inside, way below where he thought he should be able to feel. He realised he was more of a person than just head, shoulders and arms. He was complete.

He tells me he is eternally grateful for that realisation.

Apparently, back then he was going through hard times with skin problems and having to spend long boring days on bedrest while the rest of the world sailed on. He discovered by eating some of this stuff that it greatly improved his appreciation of music and he’d release all his built-up energy singing (loudly and badly) and rocking to the Stones, Led Zeppelin and Janis Joplin. He reckoned it saved his sanity but I couldn’t comment on that.

I heard he later stopped using the stuff because it wasn’t easy to obtain and he no longer thought it that important. He was too busy working on his career by then.

As for eating – we’ve all heard about the munchies but my instinct would turn to abdominal tensions. I’d be wondering when on this stuff if one used the awareness to focus on those tensions and see what happens (remember the diaphragm is a muscle of very high innovation). A common way to relax a tense muscle is to tense it more before it relaxes.

People here have posted about it in relation to pain. I don't know if anyone has come across other benefits or otherwise.

"We are all different - but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it's human nature that we adapt - and survive." - Stephen Hawking 2013

#3 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

Hello,

I use cannabis, and I live in California. 1st of all let me explain a couple of preliminaries. #1 I completed a pain management course offered by my insurance. All this was before I had ever used marijuana (no I was not a "stoner" who wanted a medical excuse). I'm not saying you are/would think this but some do. I was an honors student and in several sports. At age 14 I had an accident that compressed my spine (essentially the whole thing, but it broke L2 and made several dislocations of several other vertebra). I have been in sever pain ever since. Over the years as arthritis has set in that has only gotten worse.

Federally yes it is illegal. Several states have elected to "decriminalize" the use of marijuana for certain conditions. Now just that someone broke their back is not enough. A patient must show that their condition may be helped or relieved by the use of marijuana. (I'll stick to CA since it is where I live and am most familiar with the laws and how the whole thing got started). California passed prop #215 "the compassionate use act". Certain conditions are supposed to be exempt from legal or criminal prosecution. Nobody ever said we could smoke it where we want too. Some counties are trying to get federal courts to come in and rule......however the county has to go before the state surprime court 1st....and that is where some of the confusion is comeing in. I think the Govt. will have to make some stand soon. What ever the stand I'm sure there will be oposition to it.....what ever that ruling may be.

FDA has marijuana listed as a drug with no clinical use; however the FDA approved marinol. The FDA contradicted itself by allowing drug companies to synthetically make THC (Tetra Hydro Canibinol sp?) the active ingredient in marijuana. The FDA is not very quick to approve anything.......so why would a company spend so much money on testing and trials to get the FDA approval if there is in fact no legitimate use?

Marijuana can be used to treat chronic pain, neuropathy, nausea, anxiety, depression, insomnia, loss of appetite, migraine headaches, glaucoma, and MS. as well.

Yes marijuana is a drug. I don't think that it should be used without knowing all of the pros and cons. But here they are as I see them.......at least for me anyway.

Marijuana may be addictive for some people however so are the narcotics the Dr. gives.
Yes marijuana may slightly impair a persons judgment; it does not however effect mine as much as narcotics + muscle relaxers + anti nausea drug combined.
On average the effects of marijuana can be felt for between 2-6hrs. the negative side effects such as impaired judgment are generally shorter than the target effect of feeling better (the "funny" feelings go away while still leaving me feeling relaxed and relatively pain free).
Rx solutions generally the desired effect is good for about 4hrs while the side effects of feeling light headed or sleepy may last as much as 8hrs.
People have accidentally overdosed on prescription painkillers.....not trying to commit suicide or anything. Heavy duty narcotics impair our ability to breathe! Marijuana does not! It would be next to impossible for someone to "OD" on pot.

For the how. Your body has a few tricks for dealing with extreme pain. One of the best way our body can cope is by using dopamine. This is your body's own natural "happy pill". When ever you experience extreme pleasure.....it's the dopamine center of your brain kicking in. Adrenaline is also another form of "natural happy drug". When you have extreme pain the body can produce adrenaline or dopamine to help in situations like getting out of the canyon you just fell down. But over a long period the drain on your body from pain depletes it's own natural resource of those chemicals which often leads to depression and in extreme cases "wasting syndrome". Marijuana uses the dopamine center of the brain and the different THC chemicals tell your brain to feel good and happy. Also once the brain's dopamine center is sufficiently saturated it will allow the person to "decompartmentalize" the pain (remove them from the intensity). When I have not smoked I feel every single hot needle poking my ass and my legs(the neuropathy). And that is ALL I can think about. I want to swallow anything that will make me go to sleep. After smoking some marijuana I still feel that the nerves are all firing off......however it's now background noise. I don't feel the anxiety of feeling like the nerves run my life. I also have problems with nausea. I find it very difficult to want to eat when my nerves are acting up. I want to toss cookies at the mention of food.....unless of course I've used some marijuana. I'm also diabetic and so for me to go 12hrs. without eating is actually more dangerous than it sounds. It is believed that blood flow can help with neuropathy, arthritis, (and some of the other conditions mentioned); and marijuana dilates the capillarities thereby somewhat improving blood flow.

I used Rx drugs from 4/28/90 until spring of 2003. I don't think it helped me that much. I used to sleep constantly and yet I felt that I was just waiting to die. I have not wished for God "my soul to take" since i started using marijuana in 2003. For 13yrs I was in misery......I will go ahead and risk prosecution and possible jail time; for me it is worth it.

I know that unfortunately there are people who do want nothing more than an excuse to get high. There are people who do find relief in marijuana, myself included; it would be a shame to loose out on the ability to ease our symptoms because of a bothersome few.

(If you have any ?s just PM me through this forum......sorry about spelling)
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#4 Murray

Murray

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6, T10-T11, complete

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:42 PM

nomis/wheeliebear -

Thanks, guys. Sounds like NZ (public attitudes vs govt & govt-owned [?] press) suffers some of the same problems as the States. Wouldn't it'd be great if govt agendas were people - not politics - oriented. Fat chance. Revolution? (60's again - I could handle that.)

Wheelie - I'm not a stoner either. Tried the stuff when I was a kid, but - like you - had too much other stuff going on: basketball, cross country, swimming, surfing, chasin' ladies (ah adolescence!). A home care giver familiarized me with the basics of medical marijuana. I ignored her advice. That was almost three years ago. I had been prescribed Norco, Xanax, Lexapro and Ambien. Shit - I was a rollin' druggy. In addition to becoming habit forming, that stuff can damage the liver over time. When a friend expressed surprise at my not taking advantage of med marijuana, I figured it was time to give it a try. I got some from a neighbor. He has the scrip, grows and processes his own as per this county's policies in accordance with the CUA. The joint he gave me was from his cup o' gold batch - or something like that. It was way too stout for this novice - I was out like a light. Since then, I only do the "weak" stuff. Have an appt with the doc in a couple weeks to get legal. Then, my buddy can grow another ten plants per season for me. (I really don't think I'm going to need that much. He says the rest can be donated to the cannabis cafes in the bay area.)

So, we shall see. One thing for sure: I'll be glad to get off the damn chemicals.

Thanks, again guys.

-Lynn

Edited by Murray, 03 August 2007 - 03:44 PM.

Obey little. Resist much. -Whitman
Irrevence is the champion of liberty and its only defense. -Twain

#5 Texaswheelz

Texaswheelz

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6/7 Complete 19 years

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

I support the use of it also for pain relief. I started using it 3 years after injury and it was great relief. I continued to use it for 7 years or so. Sadly for the last 7 years I have moved 5 different times and haven't came in contact with others who i feel comfortable enough to ask about it to acquire some. It's great for pain relief, i won't take narcotics unless I'm well beyond my pain thresh hold which is quite high these days. I think I've taken a pill once in the last year and that was the other night after 3 nights of no sleep. Wouldn't it be nice if I could get weed prescribed to me and not have to worry about finding some one to make an illegal buy through?

#6 krazyrbone1977

krazyrbone1977

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:parapalegic/t-11-t-12

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:09 AM

nomis/wheeliebear -

Thanks, guys. Sounds like NZ (public attitudes vs govt & govt-owned [?] press) suffers some of the same problems as the States. Wouldn't it'd be great if govt agendas were people - not politics - oriented. Fat chance. Revolution? (60's again - I could handle that.)

Wheelie - I'm not a stoner either. Tried the stuff when I was a kid, but - like you - had too much other stuff going on: basketball, cross country, swimming, surfing, chasin' ladies (ah adolescence!). A home care giver familiarized me with the basics of medical marijuana. I ignored her advice. That was almost three years ago. I had been prescribed Norco, Xanax, Lexapro and Ambien. Shit - I was a rollin' druggy. In addition to becoming habit forming, that stuff can damage the liver over time. When a friend expressed surprise at my not taking advantage of med marijuana, I figured it was time to give it a try. I got some from a neighbor. He has the scrip, grows and processes his own as per this county's policies in accordance with the CUA. The joint he gave me was from his cup o' gold batch - or something like that. It was way too stout for this novice - I was out like a light. Since then, I only do the "weak" stuff. Have an appt with the doc in a couple weeks to get legal. Then, my buddy can grow another ten plants per season for me. (I really don't think I'm going to need that much. He says the rest can be donated to the cannabis cafes in the bay area.)

So, we shall see. One thing for sure: I'll be glad to get off the damn chemicals.

Thanks, again guys.

-Lynn

I have been a user of marijuana since i was underage with many breaks in between. After my spinal cord injury about two years ago I decided to try it and to this day it helps my depression , i can feel my intire body and it also helps me when i am tryin to have intercourse by arousing me and enabling me to have an orgasm. it also helps put a kick in my ass and i always end up cleaning my house and moving around , doin therapy and other things that i should be doing. It also gives me an appetite when i am never hungry. it helps me in many ways and it also helps me sleep. i cant see the downside a this point, maybe im using it as a crutch but this crutch helps me live a somewhat normal existance instead of laying in bed depressed.
Kelle'e Palmer

#7 fatdave

fatdave

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5/S1 cauda equina

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

i happen to live a "red" state (missouri) and it is illegal. my mother was always in extreme pain from rheumatoid arthritis and was bedridding by the time i was 15, and died when i was 17. she used marijuana all my life to help with her pain and it always worked, the pain meds didnt and she didnt like the side effects anyway. i was a user of marijiuana from 12 - 21 and stopped when i stopped all other drugs ( i was a meth addict and an user of LSD and mushrooms).

i am thinking of starting to user marijuana again because i have really bad times of neuropathic pain, and even with 600mg of gabapentin 3 times a day. i am also on 10mg of oxycodone 3 times a day. and i feel like when i ask for a refill that the doctor thinks im just using the oxycodone to get high, i think if a few senators and doctors would feel this pain for a few weeks or even days they would lighten their views on medical marijuana
Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard
US author (1856 - 1915)

#8 EBSuspension

EBSuspension

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-6 complete

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

Some ambivalence here... Marijuana is still an illegal drug according to US federal law; however, California (and other states) permit individuals to grow and use weed, provided they have a doctor's prescription. I am new to the world of SCI. Never had to manage pain, never had any trouble eating well - in general, didn't suffer from any of the depression issues accompanying SCI. I have read that weed may provide some solution(s) to these and other problems. I am curious. Any firsthand experience out there? (I'm sure that several of you folks across the pond must find the Puritanical legal system of the US pretty silly. You're not alone! Many here do, too. Apparently, not enough.)

What would you like to know about it? I used it after my injury and it does help in several ways
What up? I'm an x motocross/arenacrosser and I am now a professional t-6 para. I am now a suspension tech for motox bikes and just kinda hold the fort down here at home. Want more? Hit me up and I'll chat your face off!

#9 evilmac64

evilmac64

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7 para. complete

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:45 AM

helps wiyh my pain snd atitude my vote is yes oh wait was there a vote well mine is yes
MAC

#10 Slowlegs

Slowlegs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Nerve damage/trauma

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:52 AM

I think if it works well and the side effects don't outweigh the cure I would support it. I do not however understand why AB's take it just so they can be as deep and meaningful as I already am. :ph34r:

#11 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 T-5 incomplete

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

I think if it works well and the side effects don't outweigh the cure I would support it. I do not however understand why AB's take it just so they can be as deep and meaningful as I already am. :ph34r:

No one could be a deep as you kiddo.
Been getting high for going on 40 years. So I can't remember my own name. So what, that's what a drivers license is for.
And as far as apathy goes. Shit, I'm too lazy to be apathetic.
Good thing I've always got a chair to sit in.
E
when it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight, call the Marines.

I will nevah, EVAH take a pinch from a greasy muddahf*@kah like you!

How 'bout if I spell it out for ya. D-I-L-L-I-G-A-F

#12 longhaul

longhaul

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-T7

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

Hi Lynn some more food for thought. All pot is not the same different kinds have different effects some give you the munchies some make you sleepy some are more nerve stimulating while others are more narcotic some can be almost psychedelic some can calm you and others hype you up. Ask E-dog what he's smoking and be sure to stay away from that brand. If you decide to try it start with a small amount don't roll a big fat joint get blasted and tip over. Be in a safe comfortable place, you can find info online to see what brand might work best for you. The first couple of times can be pretty intense but the brain adjusts to compensate and after awhile it's no big thang. Have fun.........

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.