14 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor

Trevor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:34 AM

Okay I just have to ask. Does anyone else pass this kinda thick mucusy stuff after a bm? I've had it for a long time and always just thought it was a mixture of lubercant and suppository but after reading someone elses post about being sick it kinda got me curious. I dont have it every time just sometimes its kinda thick and smells really bad like fish. Mostley happens if I pass gas the day after bm comes out in my pants! Help is this normal..

#2 alyssa

alyssa

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4-c5-c6. complete

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:22 AM

It could very well be left over supp.
is there anything else you notice? fever, loose stool, any pain...anything?

#3 Trevor

Trevor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:07 AM

No nothing its been like this for a few months and I dont feel sick or anything. Just really embarresed when it happens....

I try to not use as much lubricant now and it helps a bit but sometimes it is still there..

#4 alyssa

alyssa

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4-c5-c6. complete

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

when you do your bowel routine are you getting all the melted supository out?

#5 hockeydahc

hockeydahc

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5 inc. walk w cane
  • Injury Date:09-16-2001

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:53 PM

I am 100% positive that it's suppository return. I call it the afterbirth, and about an hour/hour and a half after a bm, I head back to the bathroom for a sit. it usually comes out as a big drip, in less than two minutes, and I'm good till next time. I too cut back on the supp, and don;t use a whole one. helped a ton.

#6 bunkalar

bunkalar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-6-7/complete

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

I had this problem at one time and it sucked. It was in the first months after I got home from rehab. Seemed like it happened every other day. However, with me it happened the day of my bowel program, usually an hour or two after I got up, sometimes later in the day. Do you sit or lay down for your program? Sitting up in my shower chair while doing the program instead of laying down solved the problem for me. Also, doing my program every other day instead of every day might have helped to. Maybe stimulating the rectum "dilling" Moore could help. I kind of thought that maybe on days that I crapped more I didn't have as much or any mucus. And maybe you just have to give it time. I feel for you though. Those were some crappy days for me. Hope you figure it out.

#7 glamisgirl

glamisgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6,7,8 Complete

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

I had the same thing, for me it is definetly left over suppository, I used to have the occasional blob come out a couple hours after bowel program, I just make sure it all comes out before finishing b.p., have to sit a little longer and a couple extra didge stims, (but worth it) haven't had any kind of accident in months. GOOD LUCK

#8 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,453 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

I used to get "Buttsnot", but it cleared on it's own.

I never did figure out what caused it, maybe my ass had a cold!

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#9 Izziwhizzi

Izziwhizzi

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6 - complete

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Whilst I agree with many of the after suppos comments that have been posted I have an alternative suggestion that I feel ought to be mentioned, although in all liklihood it is the suppos.

Do you have any gall stones? I have had some for quite a few years now and they don't trouble me. However my consultant is suggesting I get them out by keyhole, his major reason being that unlike an AB I may not realise if it really troubles me, goes gangrenous and bursts. He says I can't rely on AD to tell me.

One thing he mentioned is that there may be an unusal bad discharge with my BM.

He also said in a previous spinal unit he worked at a patient had been off colour for 6 weeks which has been his gall bladder going, and by the time they (the fully trained staff) realised, he was into major organ failure, sceptacemia and unfortunately died.

Sorry that I'm just adding a little ray of sunshine for you!!

I

#10 Yong

Yong

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 Complete
  • Injury Date:22-04-2007

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

I am 100% positive that it's suppository return. I call it the afterbirth, and about an hour/hour and a half after a bm, I head back to the bathroom for a sit. it usually comes out as a big drip, in less than two minutes, and I'm good till next time. I too cut back on the supp, and don;t use a whole one. helped a ton.

I agree with hockeydahc. When I used the magic bullet for my bm, I frequently got 'the afterbirth' :cheers: I'm currently using digital stimulation and haven't experienced the mucus.

#11 kewlcatkez

kewlcatkez

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:= T10- L1 incomplete

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

Whilst I agree with many of the after suppos comments that have been posted I have an alternative suggestion that I feel ought to be mentioned, although in all liklihood it is the suppos.

Do you have any gall stones? I have had some for quite a few years now and they don't trouble me. However my consultant is suggesting I get them out by keyhole, his major reason being that unlike an AB I may not realise if it really troubles me, goes gangrenous and bursts. He says I can't rely on AD to tell me.

One thing he mentioned is that there may be an unusal bad discharge with my BM.

He also said in a previous spinal unit he worked at a patient had been off colour for 6 weeks which has been his gall bladder going, and by the time they (the fully trained staff) realised, he was into major organ failure, sceptacemia and unfortunately died.

Sorry that I'm just adding a little ray of sunshine for you!!

I

Izziwhizzi has a point there.

A little bit of mucous is normal, it aides the passage of the stool out of the body ( in normal circumstances) but if this is an obvious copious amount then there may be other factors, such as the ones the others have mentioned which may be at play.

If it does not seem to be leftover Suppository then I would also ask if this type of thing ever happened pre disability? No matter what the reply, mucous in stool can be due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Crohns Disease, Ulcerative collitis. Of course in these situations the Mucous will not be the only symptom in many cases.
Also, mucous can also be present because of a bacterial infection. If an infection caused by a bacterium such as Salmonella may also cause fever, and abdominal cramps. These cramps may present themselves as spasms in those who have altered/no sensation abdominally, although many people do feel this type of discomfort internally. Some bacterial infections may resolve on their own without treatment, but some cases may be serious and require treatment with antibiotics.

Maybe that you, Simon ( Apparelyzed) had an infection which you fought off??

(Also, a little off the subject, but I just wanted to mention whilst I was thinking about it...LOL...Never know, it might be of some use to someone eventually!... Sometimes when there are increased gases in the intestines and more acutely if there is anything such as an ectopic pregnancy or appendicitis, pain can be felt as a stabbing intense pain at the shoulder blades.)

Take care,

K
Ex Nurse (med retired)
Connective tissue disorder & associated paralysis.

#12 Coach

Coach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Admin Note: Coach passed away on Sunday, March 29 2009

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

In my own case, the extraordinary amounts of mucus evacuated in my every-other-day bowel routine is not mere melted suppository. There's too much. My best guess is that my body produces it in response to the heavy use I make of irritant laxatives--in particular senna and bisacodyl. In my early years as a quad--say the first 20 or 25 of to-date 45--the best sign chores (code for BM) were done was that I would expel, in response to digital stimulation, almost clear water and the rectal vault would close. Now, and for the past 5 or so years, the end is signaled by a lot of mucus. Also in the past five years my laxative use has intensified.

I've started (well, intend to start as soon as I finish this reply) a new thread called 'reducing irritant (stimulant) laxatives.'

#13 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,134 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:34 PM

Wow. My first post here is about... Well, anyway - I'm a newbie here and to spinal cord injury (as of August 11th). I get the slimmy stuff, too, and I don't use a suppository. Fortunately, I haven't passed any at inopportune times in a couple months, but generally during my routine.

I had my gall bladder out a couple years ago, so it's not that, either. And I use a stool softener sparingly. So I guess what I'm saying is, yeah I get it, too. But I'm not sure if any of these replies pertain to my situation.

Great forum, btw.

#14 RollerDoo

RollerDoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10/auto accident
  • Injury Date:09-28-1991

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

I get it too but not so much anymore. I was told by my dr. that it is completly normal to have this. As a matter of fact he told me to be worried if you dont have it. How he explained it to me is something that was quite uncomfortable for me but I will share it anyway. Your rectum is much like the vagina. It will secrete fluid to help movement of feces. Much like a vagina secretes "liquid" to help with intercourse. Its your bodies own lube.

I personally use Enemeez and no lubricant. I do however use a little lube on the tip of the Enemeez to make sure I dont tear anything while sliding the hard plastic in.

#15 carole338

carole338

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 L2 Incomplete ASIA C
  • Injury Date:26-02-2007

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

I have excess mucus following use of the magic bullet also, even when I use ¼ the bullet amount. For the past 4 days I have been off the bullet and going naturally. I did not have any mucus. I have no gall bladder so it can’t be that issue and never had discharge prior to my injury. I attribute the mucus to the magic bullet.

Carole
"It's only the giving that makes you what you are." Tull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.