#61 itsjustme

itsjustme

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2 incomplete

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

Speaking of the bra straps to keep shoes on...There is a shoe repair shop at the Greenwood Mall up in Indianapolis and I stopped in there one day to talk to the guy about my clogs. I love clogs and I have a pair of dressy Nine West ones too that look like chunky heeled boots when they are on, but my feet spaz backwards and slide right out. So, I asked him if he could come up with something eleastic that had clips of some sort on either end that I could attach to my various clogs. He said that he was sure that he could. And, I figured that with jeans and dress pants the clips wouldn't show anyway. I just haven't been back up there to let him do it.

Just a note about the draw string waisted 5 pocket jeans that I mentioned earlier for size 12's and up...the ones from the Lane Bryant Woman Within catalog are much nicer and have a better fit than the ones from the Sillouhette catalog.
*Things won't always be the way that they are today.

**Life is indescriminate in it's suffering.

***"Worry looks around, sorry looks back, faith looks up."

#62 Katherine

Katherine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:para /incomp t8 t12

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

I saw the mention of "bra" and it brought to mind a problem I have been having and wondered if anyone had any ideas out there... I want a bra that fastens in the front with some sort of back support. Nothing out there seems to work. I almost am looking at a corset but they seem to be cumbersome. Any ideas ladies??? :)

#63 juls

juls

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6/c7 incomplete

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:26 AM

Hi Katherine.....what about a sports bra? There are a few, really supportive sports bras that do up in the front and they're a bit nicer looking then your typical sports bra..also very comfortable, much more comfortable then a corset!!!

#64 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/T5
  • Injury Date:15-04-2007

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:16 AM

I have a few of the sports bras that clamp up the front, they are very comfortable and supportive. Then again my boobs arent the biggest. I suppose it depends how much support you need. But I tell ya, sports bras are awesome. I think I got mine at like Target or Wal mart, no where fancy. They work, they are comfortable and you can sleep in them! Even better than that, you can just get up and throw on a shirt and go. Some prefer to shower, but not I! So yeah I'm with Juls and totally recommend the clamp up sports bra!

Edited by Ches, 21 September 2007 - 08:10 AM.

Our Handicaps Exist Only In the Mind

#65 gsp23

gsp23

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:21 AM

I get my front connector ones at Victorias Secret. Yeah not as inexpensive as the Sports Bra option already mentioned but I really like the front connectors in their Body By Victoria line. I also wear the front connector Racerback bra a lot which is part of the Body by Victoria line too as it cuts in quite a bit around the shoulders and I like to wear tank tops and the like and dont have to worry about bras falling off the shoulders for any of those types of cutin an smaller tops.
Posted Image
Quotes are nothing but inspiration for the uninspired.

#66 T-Crip

T-Crip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:45 PM

I get my front connecters from Frederick's of Hollywood and they are a lot cheaper than Victoria's Secret and I also find the racer back ones to be more comfortable and supportive. Victoria's Secret doesn't have my size and on the same note it is hard for me to find sports bras that fit as well...that's why I go to Frederick's...they also have an on-line catalog.

juls---post a pic of you in the dress when you get one K? I would LOVE to see it!! :wink05:

#67 juls

juls

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6/c7 incomplete

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:32 PM

T-Crip~ I'll post a pic as soon as I get the dress and shoes :cheers:

#68 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:47 AM

You crack me up Simon. :unsure:

Hey I can't remember who it was that recommended the "Diamond Tough"........but thanks. I've had some on for about 8 days now. It is pretty good. I'd had some that was supposedly "strong" nope. Thanks for the great tip. BIG HUGS
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#69 Becca82

Becca82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4/5Cmplte/Partner/Carer
  • Injury Date:30-12-2003

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

Hi girls, dont know if this is any use to any of you or not, but heard about a new company desining clothes for the wheelchair using female, check out the site at
http://www.wheeliechix-chic.com/
thik its all designed by a wheelchair user who understands the needs of someone who is in a chair and what requirements they have with things like buttons and zips and the like!
hope its of some use to someone!

becca

#70 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

Those designer clothes were pretty cute, I never got around to mentioning that before so I thought I would now. The prices werent so great though.

So... Random Question here; How do you girls shave your legs? Is there a trick to it all? Besides hair removal creams. I take forever to shave my legs, I run out of hot water all the freaking time. Also, I cant get to certain areas so easy, ya know.. My balance isnt the best. My dumb feet dont even touch flat on the bathtub floor. So leaning down is OUT! Any tips here?

#71 gsp23

gsp23

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

Usually I just lean over and shave my legs, I tried waxes but they dont seem to work for some reason and you have to let your hair grow long between them too. I just use a razor and depending where I am it can vary on how I do it but at home just lean forward and shave.

If I am traveling though then it depends on circumstances. I use a bag chair for showering if they dont have a bench in hotel rooms or if I visit someone and You kinda just fall into those chairs so I have pulled my legs up onto the chair to do below the knee. In other cirumstances depending on how much ledge is around the tub (if I am in a tub) I have just moved the bench or chair, forward far enough and put my feet up on the ledge of the tub to shave. Or when I go on vacation, the resort we go to every year only has a small shower like 4x4 feet shower so I wait till I am out of the shower and use an electric razor. Electric razors are nice, use them on the bed or chair, etc. It actually works out well that I do my Bowel routines right after I shower so on vacation I will shave my legs while on the toilet :cheers:
Posted Image

#72 kewlcatkez

kewlcatkez

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:= T10- L1 incomplete

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

Hi,

Have you tried placing one of those HUGE beach towels/bath sheets on the bed?..and then shaving? My hair grows very fast, so I find that I have to shave my legs and underarms very frequently. I know that some drs and the like do advise that if you have reduced/no sensation or circulation, that you try and avoid shaving. However, I still do.

Laying on the bed on top of the large towel should be easier than leaning forwards. Position pillows behind you (covered with the towel) & perhaps under your knees to reach lower legs.

You can have a wash bowl with a little water in to wet the razor, or use a battery lady shave etc. As I am sure you are well aware, just be careful of 'nicks' and grazes.

Hope this is of some use!

Take care,

K
Ex Nurse (med retired)
Connective tissue disorder & associated paralysis.

#73 sjean423

sjean423

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7-8 since Feb 2005
  • Injury Date:2-20-2005

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

Ches,

As far as your feet touching ....

My shower bench is set up for a level transfer, so my feet weren;t touching the floor either. It made my balance off, so my husband made a small platform to rest my feet on. With them firmly planted, it made bending down to shave and wash my tootsies much easier.
para T7-8 since feb 2005

#74 smokymtn memories

smokymtn memories

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-C6 L-4 Incomplete

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

I've gotta figure out another way to "shave" my legs. I can do it alright with putting the seat down on the toilet and sitting there. Towels under me and the floor, the sink is in reaching distance, but, I'm getting a lot of nicks and cuts. I don't feel them at the time, but afterwards it seems like there are a lot of them. Makes me dread it and I end up waiting until I can't stand it any more.

Anyone have any better ways to get the job done? I've never tried those creams or lotions.

#75 gsp23

gsp23

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

I've gotta figure out another way to "shave" my legs. I can do it alright with putting the seat down on the toilet and sitting there. Towels under me and the floor, the sink is in reaching distance, but, I'm getting a lot of nicks and cuts. I don't feel them at the time, but afterwards it seems like there are a lot of them. Makes me dread it and I end up waiting until I can't stand it any more.

Anyone have any better ways to get the job done? I've never tried those creams or lotions.

I've never had much luck with the creams/lotions before myself. If you shave from the toilet seet then I would recommend an electric razor. I bought one for when I went on vacation last year and I knew I wouldnt be able to shave in the tiny shower stall they have. It works great and you can get them pretty cheap these days too. No water necessary so dry shaving doesnt knick you up. I have a model that works in the shower or dry so that if I wanted it in the shower it wouldnt damage it getting the entire unit wet, but I never use it in the shower just dry.
Posted Image

#76 smokymtn memories

smokymtn memories

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-C6 L-4 Incomplete

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

I never even thought of an electric razor! I think you're right though, it is dry shaving when you're out of the shower/tub. Does'nt seem to matter how much water or shave cream/gel I use, it's still like dragging the razor over dry skin, and I'm sure that's what's messing me up.

I'm gonna give the electric razor a try, thanks gsp23!

#77 gsp23

gsp23

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

I never even thought of an electric razor! I think you're right though, it is dry shaving when you're out of the shower/tub. Does'nt seem to matter how much water or shave cream/gel I use, it's still like dragging the razor over dry skin, and I'm sure that's what's messing me up.

I'm gonna give the electric razor a try, thanks gsp23!

No problem, glad I could help!
Posted Image

#78 carole338

carole338

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 L2 Incomplete ASIA C
  • Injury Date:26-02-2007

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

I worked in New York and I always wore high heels and dressed the fashion. I wore makeup everyday and kept my body in great shape. My injury occurred Feb 2007 and since then I only wore low flat shoes once and that was a mistake. They kept falling off. Now I only wear sneakers. Not only do they feel right, fit right, keep my feet in position, but they also protect my feet from getting hurt. I was always clumsy and this did not change. I constantly bang my feet around and the heavy sneakers take the abuse.

For the holidays I dressed up and used my leg braces and a walker (along with my chair when I had to sit). I wore long, loose pants over the braces. The only problem is the extra large sneakers I had to wear that were fitted to the braces. It really killed the look.

I have always been a shoe-aholic. I have shoes I never even wore and I don’t think I ever will. I am more concerned with comfort and health right now.

I find the best pants for me are stretch workout pants that I buy at either Old Navy or Ladies Foot Locker. I can dress my self either on the bed or in my wheelchair lifting my legs on the bed or the couch. I am lucky I can reach my feet and have excellent stretching ability. That came with a lot of hard work.

I can also shave my legs while bathing, but at my age, 65, hair is at a minimum.

I have always worn racing bras because I have small shoulders so there was no transition. My daughter bought me various sports bras. Some pull over my head and some have front closures. She went to Target for them and are very reasonably priced.

I tried wearing skirts but had trouble with bathroom issues. Pants seem easier.
What a shame. I have such a great wardrobe.

Carole
"It's only the giving that makes you what you are." Tull

#79 ryan08/06/88

ryan08/06/88

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

As a guy a few things that annoy me are the fit of clothes! Like jumpers and stuff tend to be longer in leght than needed because you're normally standing. They then kinda bunch up around the stomach area which drives me nuts...I like my clothes to be quite tight fitting...

#80 kewlcatkez

kewlcatkez

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

As a guy a few things that annoy me are the fit of clothes! Like jumpers and stuff tend to be longer in leght than needed because you're normally standing. They then kinda bunch up around the stomach area which drives me nuts...I like my clothes to be quite tight fitting...

Hi Ryan08/06/88,

Similarly, as a female, I also have the same issues. I like my tops to go over my tummy and hips, but I can't do with my coats, for example, doing that. If a coat is too long it 'rucks' up and gets in the way of m,y wheels, or I sit on it crumpled and worry about pressure areas. if I do sit on it properly, it then restricts arm movement for pushing. Then if its too substantial it will be into the wheels again, and too light its freezing in the wind!
My last lightweight yet waterproof 'coat' had one of the toggles in my axel ( almost strangled me), and a couple of days back I noticed it was ripped under both arm pits, despite being a few months old! I did manage to find somewhat of a solution. In asda, (of all places! Posted Image), I found a leather jacket which is cropped at the waist, fastens with a zip at the side ( so looks good and doesn't have toggles to get caught) and cuffs which mean the sleeves are out of the way. Its fab in the wind ( especially when a scarf is added, tucked in to avoid the wheels!) and looks more stylish, I think. I have had a few comments since I bought it , saying that I look good, but perhaps they are "humouring the cripple", lol.

It takes some trawling, but eventually you happen upon things which are a better fit. The current fashions out in the stores seem to be a lot more forgiving and flattering of the fact we are sitting, I think! I was a bit put out when I bought a pair of velour jeans which were lovely down to the rhinestone effect on the pocket. The thing is the pockets were at the back - where no one can see them when you're sitting! URGHHHHH...LOL

Good luck folks,

Take care,

k
Ex Nurse (med retired)

#81 gsp23

gsp23

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

I have to say that one of the things that bothers me the most is that men for example I think look better in a chair at the hips/legs area because they dont have hips like a woman (talking bone structure here, not muscle or fat). When looking at a man in a chair the hips are straight and the legs are straight. Looking at a woman in a chair (like looking in the mirror) the hips are wide and then it just angles in towards the knees. When standing womens hips look much better. I cant ever seem to find clothing that doesnt just pooch out in the hips area adding to the effect. I dont have wide hips by any stretch of the imagination but its probably my biggest pet peeve for fashion. I have a couple pairs of capris that make me have a more even look than most of the things I wear.
Posted Image

#82 jessee

jessee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7-T8

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

way cool link

http://www.independe...s/introeng.html

OMG thank you so much for this website!!! My mother-in-law is good at stuff like this and were were trying to find a way to either alter the pants I have or make my own.

THANKS!

#83 hanguk

hanguk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 complete

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

I love clothes and shopping for them. Being in a wheelchair should not mean you can't wear pretty clothes.
Shoes are the biggest problem. You have to shop around for ones that will stay on your feet. The only thing that stays on for me during transfers is boots. They can have a heel. But of course boots are not always the thing to wear. I sometimes wear high heels for a dress-up occasion. I have one pair that zips up on the back of the heel that stays on pretty well. It's possible to find sandals with the right kind of straps that will stay on. I don't want to be stuck wearing running shoes all the time. There is one kind of shoe I just can't wear - a flat with no straps to hold it on. My feet come off the footrests frequently and they just will not stay on.
I have not given up skirts and dresses. I don't like them below the knee but not too short either because they ride up. I have a lot of spasticity so my legs still look OK.
Pants are the 2nd biggest problem. I have pants sizes 2 to 6. I don't like pants that go all the way up to the waist but too low and the buttcrack will show and the stomach look like it's bulging out. I have Victoria's Secret "Christie fit" pants and those are a pretty good fit.

#84 jessee

jessee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7-T8

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:21 PM

Okay, everyone seems to be a size 0-8 (which I envy!!) but sad to say I am not. I can not bring myself to wear jeans with an elastic waist but to find cute stylish jeans that fit well in the front and back seems to be impossible for me. I've tried Levi's, Old Navy, Sonoma jeans, Victoria Secret, and Gap all with no luck. They are either to high in the front or too low in the back. The back doesn't matter too much because I always wear a tank but when I do my transfers they end up falling further and further down my bum. I know I'm probably buying a size to big but if I go a size smaller I've got a big fat roll in the front. I know I obviously need to loose weight but even then I've never been a tiny women.

Help me please!!!! With jeans or a good plastic surgeon! hehehe

#85 kewlcatkez

kewlcatkez

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:30 PM

Okay, everyone seems to be a size 0-8 (which I envy!!) but sad to say I am not. I can not bring myself to wear jeans with an elastic waist but to find cute stylish jeans that fit well in the front and back seems to be impossible for me. I've tried Levi's, Old Navy, Sonoma jeans, Victoria Secret, and Gap all with no luck. They are either to high in the front or too low in the back. The back doesn't matter too much because I always wear a tank but when I do my transfers they end up falling further and further down my bum. I know I'm probably buying a size to big but if I go a size smaller I've got a big fat roll in the front. I know I obviously need to loose weight but even then I've never been a tiny women.

Help me please!!!! With jeans or a good plastic surgeon! hehehe

Well, US sizes are different to here in the UK. An 8 in the uS is a 10 in the UK and 38 in Euro. I thing that bearing that in mind, not all here will be that small.

I am a 10/12 UK ( top is bigger than bottom due to chest) So a 8/10 US) So it sounds smaller in the US sizes.

Take care,

K

edited to add I just saw that you are in the USA..I though that you were in the UK, so scrap what I said! LOL
I hope that you find a solution. Have to looked at buying internationally? You may have more luck with that as clothes seem to be cut differently in say Europe than here, maybe that is true also of Canada and the USA etc??

Edited by kewlcatkez, 14 January 2008 - 11:32 PM.

Ex Nurse (med retired)

#86 hanguk

hanguk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 complete

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:10 AM

finding the right jeans is a problem, I don't want them to be baggy in the legs, I also don't want them to be too low or too high. And also there is that seam that goes where your butt crack is and is bad for your skin. I have looked at the jeans in catalogues for clothes for people who use wheelchairs but I didn't like the look of them much, they seemed less stylish.
And I forgot to mention about coats. When pushing a chair around there's no way the sleeves won't be get dirty and torn so I have to have a crap coat for when I have to push around and save my nice ones for when I'm riding in a car and don't have far to go from the car to wherever.. I have 2 that I like and I don't want to mess them up. I like coats to fit closely in the body because the baggy coat look is really unflattering.

#87 gsp23

gsp23

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:22 AM

I dont often wear jeans because I cant transfer well into my 4x4 pickup truck with them. I pull myself up with the oh $hit bar and there is quite a bit of resistance and doing that multiple times in a day is using up energy I need otherwise. Anyways when I do wear jeans I like Lucky Brand jeans. You can buy them at Buckle stores I know for sure. Jensens also sells them but they carry limit styles & sizes. I wear a size 8 jean and they fit comfortablely although I am sure I could squeeze into a smaller size if need be but I dont like the tight fit anymore, plus I dont know if I could get the tigher jeans on anymore! I am not overweight by any means but used to be a cyclist and had muscular legs. I havent seen much atrophy in my legs as of yet so maybe my size will shrink with time but still fitting into a size 8 here.
Posted Image

#88 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:09 AM

I wear Lucky Brand as well..Im a 4 but I buy the 6..I dont like sitting with jeans cutting into your gut all day,, its ugly and uncomfortable. I cant say those jeans have been the greatest. They are ALEWAYS falling off my ass, it did teach me to pull my pants up in the chair pretty really in the game though.

My favorite jeans are No big brand name I can recall right now,, They are just some clearance rack brown corduroys I got for work pre injury. They always fit just right and were very light. Now post injury they still fit just right. I totally recommend the stylish cords for casual wear.

#89 nikki buckley

nikki buckley

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c4-c5 incomplete

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

My daughter had a similar problem with shoes. She found that her shoes kept slipping from the foot rest, or would turn out or in. The solution we found was a little square of velcro. Depending on the shoes, surface of the shoe, etc. Please be cautous of the amount of time you were your high heels, wedges, etc. It is the perfect postion for a footdrop, and you do no want to deal with that. Also, I don't know anything about the height of your knees, or what would problems it would cause, but pressure sores are not something you would want to exchange for good looking feet.

finally someone speaking sense.

#90 LeahC

LeahC

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Complete

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

I wear my high heels like this, hooked on my foot rest x

Attached Thumbnails

• 24.05.09b.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.