•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Wheelchair Self-defense Against A Physically Stronger Attacker

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Erik Kondo

Erik Kondo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4-5

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

Hello,

I am a T4-5 complete para since 1984. I currently teach self-defense for women and people with disabilities. Please visit my website http://www.not-me.org.

Regarding self-defense and martial arts:

They are two completely different things. Martial arts are a subset of sports. Martial arts are great. I have been training in jujitsu for 10+ yrs, but physical techniques do not necessarily prepare you for true self defense. I will post on jujitsu techniques, such as choking, joint locks, striking, and grappling on the extreme wheelchair sports page. But this post is about self-defense.

True self-defense is about learning to bring out your "survival mindset". You must communicate to your attacker not to f#%k with you! Self-defense is about learning to use your voice for boundary setting. Self-defense is about turning your fear into the desire to DISRUPT your attacker by any means necessary, which means gouging eyes, clawing, yelling, and biting. Or simply taking a handy object like a sharp pencil and driving it through a vital area, like a throat. None those are techniques that you will learn in traditional martial arts.

The reality is that a determined attacker will probably knock you out of your chair. Your job is to convince him that if you able to get your hands on him, you will not stop until the attacker is injured regardless of what happens to you. If you can communicate that mindset to the attacker there is a good change that you may DETER him before the situation becomes physical. You must keep in mind that, people who attack people that use wheelchairs are NOT looking for a fair fight. And have selected you due to their perception that you will not or can not fight back. Convince him that he is wrong.

Learning self-defense requires learning the strategy of DECIDE DETER DISRUPT and DISENGAGE. Physical techniques are mainly for demonstration and training purposes. That being said,

for those that are interested in viewing a videos that demonstrate jujitsu self-defense techniques,

the links to a few videos are below:

Paraplegic self-defense #1: Takedowns

Paraplegic self-defense #3: Stopping the Ground and Pound

Paraplegic self-defense #4: Techniques on Your Back

If you are interested in reading more, please go to
http://www.not-me.org.

I may be contacted at erik@not-me.org

#2 lune14

lune14

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 complete

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:38 AM

Erik,

How far are you from Beacon Hill area?
Where there's a hill there's a way!!

Hey! Bring back my cape, I'm not done being invincible!!

#3 DaveP

DaveP

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6/7

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:03 AM

It's not spam! This is very interesting to many people - if you're not interested, don't read it!

It's like complaining about something on TV - if you don't like it, change the channel. You don't hear people complaining about the "bible bashing" nonsense that gets posted by some people - every one to himself...

Erik - keep up the good work man and ignore these sort of guys! If you pay them any attention, you'll just end up a sorry lump that does nothing but complain and make all sorts of demands!

We all want to be treated as equals, but some of us cripples want to be treated more equally than others! lol

#4 Erik Kondo

Erik Kondo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4-5

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

It's not spam! This is very interesting to many people - if you're not interested, don't read it!

It's like complaining about something on TV - if you don't like it, change the channel. You don't hear people complaining about the "bible bashing" nonsense that gets posted by some people - every one to himself...

Erik - keep up the good work man and ignore these sort of guys! If you pay them any attention, you'll just end up a sorry lump that does nothing but complain and make all sorts of demands!

We all want to be treated as equals, but some of us cripples want to be treated more equally than others! lol

Thanks for your support Dave.

I have a friend who is also a para that trains MMA fighters here in Boston. We both would like to hear more about what you do. Both of us have competed in AB grappling tournaments. You can contact me at erik@not-me.org.

#5 RacingAxe

RacingAxe

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11/T12 Complete

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:11 AM

Erik, I saw your videos a couple months ago and thought they were great. Looks like you get some great exercise and are extremely mobile on the ground.

I can't help but think that the training you do has to help in so many ways.
Boat racing accident July 2006. Still hoping for some return!

#6 longhaul

longhaul

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-T7

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:24 AM

I have a concealed weapon permit and a Colt .380 auto I am just a little to brittle to be kung fuing some nut case. There's a man here who has S. P. and rides a three wheel bike all over town. One day some crazy guy that was mad at his girl friend attacked him and beat on him pretty good until some people came to his aid. The guy is spending the next couple of years in prison. There was nothing he could do he just isn't able. Are there any grab em by the balls moves? Hey, really good work way to go.

#7 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 Complete

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

We both would like to hear more about what you do.

Concealed Carry Permit, titanium and scandium weighs 22.5 ounces, and in a caliber than can stop things fast.

Posted Image

Joe

Edited by Hawkeye, 31 March 2008 - 02:07 PM.

#8 woodman

woodman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Concealed Carry Permit, titanium and scandium weighs 22.5 ounces, and in a caliber than can stop things fast.

Posted Image

Joe

Good job, Joe!

The .380 is nice and handle-able, but it lacks strength.

The .45 ACP is powerful enough to drop an NFL sized attacker in a violent, drugged-up frenzy. That little snub looks small and easy to wield (make it appear out of nowhere), and a 230 grain round would come as a big surprise to any attacker.

I like!

#9 silone74

silone74

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3,T4,L1

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

I like that,but in the UK we aint allowed to carry any weapon so i bought a stinger its made from plastic and acts like a knuckle duster but does serious damage,i have been in situations but because i am a big guy and am strong i would have no hesitation in going to ground with an attacker as i used to train in mixed martial arts and still do that mixed with my stinger i feel positive in defending myself, shouting the words "i may be in a chair but come near and i will rip ya arms off" seems to work for me up until now LOL

Silone74
Motorcycle accident, or sniper fire depends who is in the room at the time LOL

#10 Emily C

Emily C

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:lowest lumbar spine

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:53 PM

I like that,but in the UK we aint allowed to carry any weapon so i bought a stinger its made from plastic and acts like a knuckle duster but does serious damage,i have been in situations but because i am a big guy and am strong i would have no hesitation in going to ground with an attacker as i used to train in mixed martial arts and still do that mixed with my stinger i feel positive in defending myself, shouting the words "i may be in a chair but come near and i will rip ya arms off" seems to work for me up until now LOL

Silone74

GOOD 4 u! I love what u shout to the idiots!! :hug:
Take care and God bless... Em

#11 silone74

silone74

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T3,T4,L1

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

LOL it works for me i have said it a few time when out and there are plenty of idiots out there that think because your chair bound they can take liberties,i never took no bull before my accident so i am not gunna start taking it now,you should se there faces LOL they dont know what to do LOL.

Silone74 :yikes:
Motorcycle accident, or sniper fire depends who is in the room at the time LOL

#12 Emily C

Emily C

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:lowest lumbar spine

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:31 AM

LOL it works for me i have said it a few time when out and there are plenty of idiots out there that think because your chair bound they can take liberties,i never took no bull before my accident so i am not gunna start taking it now,you should se there faces LOL they dont know what to do LOL.

Silone74 :D

I LOVE IT!!! Still!! :)
Take care and God bless... Em

#13 Andrew Meddings

Andrew Meddings

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t4
  • Injury Date:12-04-2000

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:15 AM

i like it . im not a fighter & can usually talk my way out of any situation but you never know. you have some great moves & just watching the videos is helpful
tell me its impossible & i will show you how its done

#14 josh

josh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t 5

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:01 AM

Silone74 :censored:

i normally say something like, you beat up a guy in a wheelchair or get beat up by a guy in a wheelchair. either way your going to be leaving hiding your in embarrassment. :censored:

#15 edlee

edlee

Super Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10 complete
  • Injury Date:11-18-2004

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

Something I learned many years ago,,,, while AB and young,,,, was the best self defense is to avoid the need for it. In my case,, at the time,, that meant I should keep my voice at a lower volume than the loudest 10% in the area.

My inability to actually do that,,, particularly after a few beers,,, helped me to learn to fight. I don't remember ever winning a fight,,, but I never had to fight anybody twice,,, so I must have gotten a few good ones in.

As for carrying a weapon,,, You better be willing to use it..... If you pull it and don't use it,,, the odds are someone else will,,, or will use their own.

Many people feel they are capable of pulling the trigger,,,,, and some are. I know enough about myself to know not to carry. I am too good a shot and get angry too quickly to take that kind of chance with someone else's life.

In the end, it is a decision one must make on one's own..... I've made mine.
ed

#16 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Head, T6 incomplete

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:19 AM

I just started taking lessons in self-defense with a good mate of mine, Nic, who's a martial arts instructor, and I thought I'd reactivate this thread to see if anyone else has thought about or taken any martial arts or self-defense classes.

I decided it was time to get some classes. I've been attacked and beaten up a couple of times in my life, and my self-confidence is completely shot. I tend to think of myself as weak and in an indefensible position, and I thought at the very least, I could learn a few blocks and strikes that would give me something of a fighting chance if it ever happened again. I've found that it's also improving my self-confidence.

For those more in the know: Nic has taken elements of Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun and a type of Pencak Silat and adapted them to my physical state. We've been practicing blocking, controlling, and he's showing me how to strike without dropping my defense. He's also been showing me how my seated position eliminates some of an attacker's striking strength and reach.

The focus is going to be on blocking, delaying, controlling and getting the hell out of there, not on prolonging the fight. Just putting up a fight might be enough to end it - if I'm not an easy target, then the attacker might just give up.

I also watched some of the videos linked to above, and there's definitely something in them. However, there's elements of the supposedly defensive moves that look like show-fighting or moves for really advanced fighters... has anyone else watched them? What do you think? I'm talking about the moves where he tries to take over the fight by falling and forcing his attacker to fall with him. If I did that on concrete or tarmac, I think I'd just wind myself or even injure myself. Similarly, the attacks are very showy. I my experience, attackers don't go all out to get you on the ground like that - it's a strike to the head or neck, and then straight for the wallet or bag. Am I being too judgmental?

#17 JesseB

JesseB

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-5/6 complete.
  • Injury Date:28-8-08

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:21 AM

Hey erik! I've watched just about all you video's on youtube before I read this, I recomend them to anyone.

I'm still even watching his floor transfer video's, trying to get them down how he does, they look so smooth lol.

#18 Jax

Jax

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1 Complete

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

Silone74

How about Tasers and stun guns? Are those illegal in the UK? If not, they're pretty fun to use when somebody messes with you. They also hurt like hell!

#19 Yasko

Yasko

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1&L2

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

This is my choice ;)
Posted Image
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too." - Voltaire
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

#20 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

How about Tasers and stun guns? Are those illegal in the UK? If not, they're pretty fun to use when somebody messes with you. They also hurt like hell!

Different countries have different rules. I know that in Germany and Poland you can get a permit to carry one from the police. However, despite the experiences I've had, I decided not to have one.

Having any weapon means there's a chance someone will take it and use it against you. With my weak grip, I'd be particularly nervous about that. Also, having been attacked, I know how fast it can be: I would never have had the time to reach into my pocket/bag/backpack/utility belt :happy: and take out a taser, and aim it, or get out a pepper spray and make sure the wind wasn't blowing towards me, or whatever.

Tasers, peppers spray and so on are only going to be useful if you have the chance to prepare to use them: if you're on the street, and you see a group approaching, and there's something not right about the situation, and you don't feel you can get away easily (which is the best defense).

I'd much rather train to respond with my own body: train to the point where the block is instinctual, so I have a chance to block, delay, surprise, and get the hell out of there.

Both times I've been attacked were sudden, from behind, straight to the fight, and in places that I couldn't have expected an attack. No weapon would've helped unless I'd had it in my hand already, and even then, it could easily have been taken from me.

Volcom, have you tried any of Erik's techniques, or did you just like the style and show?

#21 Jax

Jax

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

Different countries have different rules. I know that in Germany and Poland you can get a permit to carry one from the police. However, despite the experiences I've had, I decided not to have one.

Having any weapon means there's a chance someone will take it and use it against you. With my weak grip, I'd be particularly nervous about that. Also, having been attacked, I know how fast it can be: I would never have had the time to reach into my pocket/bag/backpack/utility belt :badmood: and take out a taser, and aim it, or get out a pepper spray and make sure the wind wasn't blowing towards me, or whatever.

Tasers, peppers spray and so on are only going to be useful if you have the chance to prepare to use them: if you're on the street, and you see a group approaching, and there's something not right about the situation, and you don't feel you can get away easily (which is the best defense).

I'd much rather train to respond with my own body: train to the point where the block is instinctual, so I have a chance to block, delay, surprise, and get the hell out of there.

Both times I've been attacked were sudden, from behind, straight to the fight, and in places that I couldn't have expected an attack. No weapon would've helped unless I'd had it in my hand already, and even then, it could easily have been taken from me.

Volcom, have you tried any of Erik's techniques, or did you just like the style and show?

I see where grip is a problem. The taser would only be useful for one shot, and the stun gun has a disable pin with a strap on the end. I see where carrying one in a bag would cause issue, but I carry my pistol mounted under the seat sling. If someone grabs from behind, it's not too hard to get to, and nobody looks for it there. Here in Texas, we can carry pistols under a jacket with a license. There are several stun guns that are built into mobile phone bodies. They can be carried in the open, such as sitting in the lap (which is where my phone ends up half the time anyway). I just hate pepper spray in general. I do totally agree that learning to spot the thugs, and staying the hell away from them, are the two most important parts of safety. I also like many of the self defense techniques for people in chairs, and can definitely see the use in them.

#22 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

I see where grip is a problem. The taser would only be useful for one shot, and the stun gun has a disable pin with a strap on the end. I see where carrying one in a bag would cause issue, but I carry my pistol mounted under the seat sling. If someone grabs from behind, it's not too hard to get to, and nobody looks for it there. Here in Texas, we can carry pistols under a jacket with a license. There are several stun guns that are built into mobile phone bodies. They can be carried in the open, such as sitting in the lap (which is where my phone ends up half the time anyway). I just hate pepper spray in general. I do totally agree that learning to spot the thugs, and staying the hell away from them, are the two most important parts of safety. I also like many of the self defense techniques for people in chairs, and can definitely see the use in them.

A seat sling mounting is an interesting idea: I didn't think of that.

I think at least a short self-defense course is a great thing to have done. I am interested in seeing more different techniques that different people advocate. Have you done a course yourself?

#23 Slowlegs

Slowlegs

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Nerve damage/trauma

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

Hi,
do you know of any similar courses here in New Zealand (the small country to the right of Australia on the map)?. I am walking again now and it doesn't take much to knock me off my feet these days, even a strong wind possibly could I reckon. I know what you mean about being confident though. I was walking (well, limping my way) down a street with a buddy a few years ago. This stoned or drunk or both guy came up to me swearing and calling me honky. He was a bit smaller than me so I just held my palm up to him and just told him loud and clear to f off. Funnily enough he did.

#24 JT80

JT80

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

i think avoiding physical contact is the way forward. part of the sci game is knowing that your scrapping days are behind you, unless you pick fights with under 7's. even then i think a six year old would give me a good fight.

#25 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

Hi,
do you know of any similar courses here in New Zealand (the small country to the right of Australia on the map)?. I am walking again now and it doesn't take much to knock me off my feet these days, even a strong wind possibly could I reckon. I know what you mean about being confident though. I was walking (well, limping my way) down a street with a buddy a few years ago. This stoned or drunk or both guy came up to me swearing and calling me honky. He was a bit smaller than me so I just held my palm up to him and just told him loud and clear to f off. Funnily enough he did.

A quick google search for such courses in Christchurch and Wellington (chosen at random) didn't turn up any, but it was really a cursory search. I'm doing my course as a one-to-one with a martial arts instructor who's spent time working out what my possibilities are and come up with a program of instruction specifically for me. If you can, look at that option - the one-to-one instruction is much better because of our limited mobility and possibilities.

#26 Jackiefff

Jackiefff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6-T7 complete

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

i get very paranoid about being attacked. my purse is always around me crossbody, and i think my only defense is my arm rest which could definally do some damage(reminds me of a crow bar) but i dont think that would do it. i dont live in the best part of town either but its not too bad i dont live in a big big city. what do u have to do to get a gun permit?

#27 Jax

Jax

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

A seat sling mounting is an interesting idea: I didn't think of that.

I think at least a short self-defense course is a great thing to have done. I am interested in seeing more different techniques that different people advocate. Have you done a course yourself?

Not since injury, but used to live next door to a good friend who is prior service US Marine and taught me quite a bit. I also have some experience fighting people in bars. With the friends I have, who constantly took me to parties after I got out of rehab, I got some opportunities to try some things, and took down a couple of them. When one tried to choke me from behind, I grabbed behind his knee and pulled. he was straddling a wheel, so when he went down, he pulled me toward him, and guess where the wheel went... Then, I pulled myself over on top of him and stole his beer. One shot to the chest, and he didn't do that again. He still cringes when I remind him of it. His wife thought it was funny as hell too. She looked at him and said "I told you he could probably still kick your ass." She's always giving him hell. I also have gotten somebody who tried to grab me from the side, and pulled him across my chair and put elbow to kidneys, and that seems to do the trick. Just so happens it was my younger (and bigger) brother. He gets all cocky, and I had to put him in his place. lol. A class would probably do some good for me, but the Glock G29 will work for now.

#28 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:10 AM

i get very paranoid about being attacked. my purse is always around me crossbody, and i think my only defense is my arm rest which could definally do some damage(reminds me of a crow bar) but i dont think that would do it. i dont live in the best part of town either but its not too bad i dont live in a big big city. what do u have to do to get a gun permit?

The idea of having a gun is so foreign to me: you just can't get permits over here. Also, because it's so foreign, it doesn't feel like a logical first step in self-defense. A gun... all I could imagine happening is it being taken from me, or me spasming at the wrong moment and shooting wild, hurting some innocent bystander... The only way I'd carry a gun would be if it wasn't loaded.

Not since injury, but used to live next door to a good friend who is prior service US Marine and taught me quite a bit. I also have some experience fighting people in bars. With the friends I have, who constantly took me to parties after I got out of rehab, I got some opportunities to try some things, and took down a couple of them. When one tried to choke me from behind, I grabbed behind his knee and pulled. he was straddling a wheel, so when he went down, he pulled me toward him, and guess where the wheel went... Then, I pulled myself over on top of him and stole his beer. One shot to the chest, and he didn't do that again. He still cringes when I remind him of it. His wife thought it was funny as hell too. She looked at him and said "I told you he could probably still kick your ass." She's always giving him hell. I also have gotten somebody who tried to grab me from the side, and pulled him across my chair and put elbow to kidneys, and that seems to do the trick. Just so happens it was my younger (and bigger) brother. He gets all cocky, and I had to put him in his place. lol. A class would probably do some good for me, but the Glock G29 will work for now.

Jax, that's awesome. "I stole his beer"! Hahaha.

#29 Jax

Jax

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

Talk to your local State Police office. They can point you in the right direction. Also, google for your state statutes and laws regarding carrying a concealed handgun. Here in TX, we go through a course and train to shoot, then state trooper near our address gets a request from the licensing board to give a reference. after that, the license gets mailed to us.

#30 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 Complete

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

what do u have to do to get a gun permit?

In Iowa, permits are issued on a "may issue" basis by the Sheriff of the county you live in. Each Sheriff has a lot of flexibility on what the requirements will be to get a permit in that county. The only way to know for sure is to call the Sheriff's office.

General guidelines can be found at www.iowacarry.org I think that's the correct web site. I'm at work and can't verify it. If you are willing to dig through a few screens, starting with www.nra.org or www.iowa.gov will get you to the general information also.

For me the process was pay $25 to a certified instructor to take a one-time 4 hour course. Pass a written test, a shooting test has since been added. Pay $5 to the Sheriff's office to do the federal background check, and the permit was mailed to me. $5 annual renewal fee, for which you have to show up in person at the office.

Good Luck...

Joe

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.