#1 T-Crip

T-Crip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 incomplete

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:53 PM

I was wondering:

1)Has anyone tried aquatic/pool therapy and did it do anything for you?

2)Does anyone know of any place in Florida that does it...having a hard time finding any place even googling it!

:dunno:

#2 darrel

darrel

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C6 Incomplete

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

hi t-crip, can't resist this one, aren't you afraid of gaters there in florida? now really, wouldn't a jacuzzi do the same? I live in a hick town and our theopy dept. really sucks. hell I'm to scared to attempt swimming any more, dont know if I would sink or float.

#3 Angela250153

Angela250153

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10-T11 Incomplete

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:16 PM

I had just started water therapy in St Georges hospital in Tooting when I had to have another op for some overhanging gunk from the disk L5/S1 last week as it was pressing on my sciatic nerve. Have to wait now for it to heal up, but I can't wait to go back to it. The few sessions I had did me very good.

#4 Joed

Joed

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete para
  • Injury Date:04-29-1959

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

I did the aqua therapy a few years ago, and although it didn't impact my overall function/ability, I was able to achieve more movement when I was in the water...so I suppose my baseline strength was improved. I was skeptical going in, or at best I was neutral about it, so I was surprised at how much more movement I was eventually able to get. I would probably still be attending the aqua sessions, had my insurance continued to provide it.

I went to a local Easter Seals Rehab facility for my therapy. If there's a (chapter?) in your area, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. At the very least, they'd be able to give you a good referral.

Female. Incomplete para following a cord stroke in '03. Spina-bifida, severe scoliosis. 18 surgeries total...five spine-related: Three fusions w/hardware, two tethered cord releases.

#5 Katherine

Katherine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:para /incomp t8 t12

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:02 AM

I highly enjoyed the aqua therapy my Neuro sent me to. It was so relaxing. The therapist placed small weights on my ankles and put floatation devices under my arms and back of neck. He then would "tow" me to the deep end of the pool and let my spine gently stretch out. He told me the warm water was a must for this, and I was to be alone in the pool with him so there weren't any waves placing pressure on anything. My insurance paid for most of my treatments. I had to stop because I needed further spinal surgery have never went back for more therapy. The water was the only physical therapy my Neuro wanted me to use as it was much more gentle on the spine.

#6 T-Crip

T-Crip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

I did the aqua therapy a few years ago, and although it didn't impact my overall function/ability, I was able to achieve more movement when I was in the water...so I suppose my baseline strength was improved. I was skeptical going in, or at best I was neutral about it, so I was surprised at how much more movement I was eventually able to get. I would probably still be attending the aqua sessions, had my insurance continued to provide it.

I went to a local Easter Seals Rehab facility for my therapy. If there's a (chapter?) in your area, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. At the very least, they'd be able to give you a good referral.

Why don't I just DRIVE there!!! :)

#7 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:13 AM

Hey T-crip. Well I'm only an incomplete so it may be different and if so please don't anyone get offended with me if this sounds naive........I think if you've got the use of your arms you should be able to do some decent water treading. I swim in our pool when ever the weather and my back will permit. It's really the only place I can move my legs around and not be in agony later for it. If you are worried about sinking or drowning take an AB the 1st time in. The 2 of you go into the shallows 1st and see how well you can swim. It may be that you can only do a "doggy paddle" at 1st. And if you do find yourself sinking......use a life vest. Sure it may not look all that fashionable but it's way more fashionable then lungs full of water. I don't know that you need a PT to help you do water therapy. Moving around and keeping your head above water will be exorcising. Hope you have fun in the sun and water........oh & yeah do stay away from them gators.
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#8 dave420atya

dave420atya

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6,8 T -10,11,12

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

I think auqua therapy is great. Lots of addvantages. I am finished with therapy but still "swim" for exersise, range of motion and fun. I love the way I feel in the water.I give it 2 thumbs up.I 've gotten good enugh in the water that I am no longer afraid to go swimming by my self.I live on the water on a big lake. I love it!
got a light?

#9 rkzenrage

rkzenrage

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1-L5, S1, stenosis

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

Swimming is really the only exercise I can have.
I have osteoporosis, advanced arthritis, spinal birth defect and a degenerative connective tissue disease...
Without it my muscles would be a mess. Not that they are not.
I just go to the public pool or a friend's.

Edited by rkzenrage, 05 October 2007 - 04:56 PM.

Thomas Jefferson-
"If a law is unjust not only does a man have the right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so!"

#10 tom2hunt

tom2hunt

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Admin Note: Duplicate Account

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:43 PM

i go swimming at our local pool, they have a lift (bit uncomfortable but it does its job) i use an aqua belt (meant for aqua aerobics) although i still need someone about as i still manage to go under sometimes but on the whole that works and gives my arms goood exercise.
i used to have hydro therapy it was very relaxing, not sure it had any real benefit to me other than relaxation (which is great) but our local hospital closed the pool due to lack of funding

#11 dave420atya

dave420atya

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C 6,8 T -10,11,12

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:13 PM

I started in the pool at UAB and now I swim in the lake I live on and I love it. When it gets to cold outside I'll go to my Quad friends house. She has her house set up very nicely and has a heated pool.
got a light?

#12 Susi

Susi

• Closed Account
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/C6 Incomplete

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:04 AM

I agree with all here. Aquatic Pool therapy the best. So go for it. Although quite a hassle getting in and out (with assistance) and securing catheter pipe, I love it, and if very little seems to be improving, it is better than nothing.

Go for it!

#13 T-Crip

T-Crip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:42 AM

Hey T-crip. Well I'm only an incomplete so it may be different and if so please don't anyone get offended with me if this sounds naive........I think if you've got the use of your arms you should be able to do some decent water treading. I swim in our pool when ever the weather and my back will permit. It's really the only place I can move my legs around and not be in agony later for it. If you are worried about sinking or drowning take an AB the 1st time in. The 2 of you go into the shallows 1st and see how well you can swim. It may be that you can only do a "doggy paddle" at 1st. And if you do find yourself sinking......use a life vest. Sure it may not look all that fashionable but it's way more fashionable then lungs full of water. I don't know that you need a PT to help you do water therapy. Moving around and keeping your head above water will be exorcising. Hope you have fun in the sun and water........oh & yeah do stay away from them gators.

I just don't have access to ANY pool at all! I would for sure do that though...my problem...obvious. Thank you for your thoughts and help! I will for sure keep it all in mind and keep looking

#14 Katherine

Katherine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:para /incomp t8 t12

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:41 AM

The pool I was using for my PT is located in a local hotel/motel. Often they have programs that are something you can sign up for if you can not find a pool from an individual or hospital. I hope you can find something in your area.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.