6 replies to this topic

#1 MikeP

MikeP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Friend

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:30 PM

I would like to get my friend a voice activated phone that he can keep by his bed.

He currently spends about 20 hours a day in bed (New C4/C5) and only has neck and some shoulder movement.

Right now someone has to answer the phone for him and put a headset on his head to use the phone.

I would like to find a phone that he could answer and dial out using only voice recognition.

Does anyone have some recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

MikeP

#2 Katied

Katied

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level: Wife of c4,c5,c6,c7

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:47 AM

Hi I'm looking for the exact same thing and more things like that. There is a phone I think in www.invoca.com They are around 500 dollars and too expensive for me at this time but I'm still looking. It's for my husband who is quad c4,c5,c6,c7. only neck and shoulder movement. Also go to google and type in voice activated telephones. My son bought his dad a voice actavited remote control for the t.v. and it has become his best friend. Good luck and let me know what you find ok?

#3 MikeP

MikeP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Friend

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:30 AM

My son bought his dad a voice actavited remote control for the t.v. and it has become his best friend. Good luck and let me know what you find ok?

I'm thinking of maybe using Bluetooth and a cell phone. I have found a few regular land line phones, but have read both positive and negative about them.

One site that is quite interesting is the one below. It has a IR to Voice Recognition. It can control any InfraRed remote control using your voice. Is that what he is using for the TV?

http://www.broadened...om/vocalize.htm

Edited by MikeP, 09 October 2007 - 12:04 PM.

#4 Icare

Icare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:caregiver for c5-6

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

My friend uses a cell phone and a bluetooth, just make sure the model of cell phone that you choose comes with voice activated dialing. Some cell providers charge extra for voice dialing. With a bluetooth he will just need to be able to reach up to his ear to press (or in some cases whack) the button on the bluetooth and say who he wants to call. And answering the phone would just require the ame button whacking technique.

#5 Katied

Katied

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:05 AM

My son bought his dad a voice actavited remote control for the t.v. and it has become his best friend. Good luck and let me know what you find ok?

I'm thinking of maybe using Bluetooth and a cell phone. I have found a few regular land line phones, but have read both positive and negative about them.

One site that is quite interesting is the one below. It has a IR to Voice Recognition. It can control any InfraRed remote control using your voice. Is that what he is using for the TV?

http://www.broadened...om/vocalize.htm

#6 Katied

Katied

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:12 AM

That is very interesting but I really want to find a phone for home for him. It's something to think about though and thank's.
What my husband has is a voice activated remote for the t.v. and he just says ' comander channel up or comander channel down, power on power off etc. The other day it wouldn't respond and he got mad at it and said 'damn you' and it went to mute. We all had a good laugh. We are still learning how to use it but at least it's something good for him.
I printed out the page to read it to my hubby and see what he thinks and i'll let you know, thank's again.

#7 MJD523

MJD523

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-C5

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

I have been using the sony ericson W600i w/ a bluetooth for about a year now, but I can hit the button on the earpiece. For someone who can't hit a button, with this phone you could just wear the headphones (like you would with an MP3 player - little earbuds with wires that attach to the phone) and the phone becomes completely voice activated. You can say "make a call" and then the name, or "answer" or "busy" when someone calls. You can also have it on auto-answer after 2 rings if you want. I just wear the phone around my neck, like a necklace.

Before I had this set up, I had an old cell phone mounted to my chair with a car kit ($150 to buy, $150 to install). That system was entirely voice activated and all my calls were on speaker. But, I could have my chair next to my bed at night, incase I needed to use it. You can do that set up with a good cell phone and car kit.

I love my new set up, because my calls are private now and I can actually hit the buttons on my phone. Technology is a great thing. Good luck with your search!

That is very interesting but I really want to find a phone for home for him. It's something to think about though and thank's.
What my husband has is a voice activated remote for the t.v. and he just says ' comander channel up or comander channel down, power on power off etc. The other day it wouldn't respond and he got mad at it and said 'damn you' and it went to mute. We all had a good laugh. We are still learning how to use it but at least it's something good for him.
I printed out the page to read it to my hubby and see what he thinks and i'll let you know, thank's again.

Success is to be measured not so much by the position one has reached in life, as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.