Photo
- - - - -

How Did You Get Your Sci

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Poll: How did you get your SCI (318 member(s) have cast votes)

Type of Accident

1. Medical Blunder (11 votes [3.54%])

Percentage of vote: 3.54%

2. Birth Defect (7 votes [2.25%])

Percentage of vote: 2.25%

3. Car Accident (108 votes [34.73%])

Percentage of vote: 34.73%

4. Motorbike Accident (53 votes [17.04%])

Percentage of vote: 17.04%

5. Sports Injury (25 votes [8.04%])

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

6. Fall (50 votes [16.08%])

Percentage of vote: 16.08%

7. Swimming/Diving (26 votes [8.36%])

Percentage of vote: 8.36%

8. Gunshot (8 votes [2.57%])

Percentage of vote: 2.57%

9. Cancer/Tumor/Disease (23 votes [7.40%])

Percentage of vote: 7.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:21 AM

Fall - The ladder slipped out from under me while I was doing some home repairs.
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#32 knowthill

knowthill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7/T9 Complete
  • Injury Date:20-09-1994

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

Drove into a ditch and completly mangled my truck.

Did a good job on myself to. :poo:
Jeffrey H. Thill
knowthill@hotmail.com

#33 sean3282

sean3282

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 Complete

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

I'd like to say a high speed motorbike accident, but embarrassingly I wasn't quite doing 30mph. I miss judged a corner and creeped closer and closer to the curb before my front wheel hit it. This jolted my handle bars flipping me off the bike and into the grass verge where I landed on my back. OUCH!!! The bike carried on for 10 metres without me and also came to a halt in the grass verge. Very minor damage to the bike consisting of a scuff to the top fairing, snapped indicator stalk and a slight bend to the clutch pedal.
I was just on my way home after fish and chips, which on impact resurfaced and decorated the inside of my helmet. Harry Ramsden Restaurants just don't quite appeal to me as much as they once did.
I had no other injuries other than to my L1 Vertebrae, not a scratch!

Sods Law.

#34 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 T-5 incomplete

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

I was a highly skilled assassin working for the CIA in a small third world country when I developed an abscess in a vein that crushed my spine.
e-dog

#35 Ian D

Ian D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/T5 complete

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

I was a highly skilled assassin working for the CIA in a small third world country when I developed an abscess in a vein that crushed my spine.
e-dog

Now E stop exaggerating :D
Your abscess just squeezed your spinal chord a little it didn’t crush your spine :poo:
Chhers Ian :cheers:
Once I thought I was wrong..... but I was mistaken

#36 Stacia

Stacia

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

My husband was injured in a head on collision on his way to a 4th of July party. He was driving a little sports car, and he was hit by a Chevy Suburban. The kid who hit him was 15 yrs old, and he had taken his dad's car. He was drunk, and he went across the median and hit Jon. They had to cut Jon out of his car, but in one of the cars behind him was a trauma Dr and they were about a half mile to the turnoff for a major trauma center. That is probably what saved his life. He is a C-2 quad on a vent, but he has great spirit, and has made a wonderful life for us. We are also expecting our first child!

#37 Soryfam

Soryfam

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5-T10 incomplete

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:59 PM

In the fall of 2007 I first encountered a MRSA infection in my pacemaker/wires/heart. I had surgery to remove the pacemaker and wires, was given antibiotics, and when thought to be clear of MRSA, had my pacer replaced. About 9 days later I had to have surgery to have the pin in my foot (placed because of a fracture), removed because it, too, had become infected with MRSA. More antibiotics, and two weeks later I was rushed to the hospital by ambulance with no feeling in my legs and numbness in my arms. The MRSA had destroyed T7 and T8. I had surgery to remove what was left, get rid of any infection, and place a cage on my spine. Later T5-T10 were fused. I am 46 years old, and was a pharmacy technician before all of this happened.

Sandy
Sandy

#38 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:21 PM

I was a highly skilled assassin working for the CIA in a small third world country...

Some guy named Jason Bourne was just here looking for you.
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#39 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:33 AM

e-dog

Now E stop exaggerating :D
Your abscess just squeezed your spinal chord a little it didn’t crush your spine :mfrlol:
Chhers Ian :cheers:

Yeah, but I really had 'em goin' for a minute there. :D
when it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight, call the Marines.

I will nevah, EVAH take a pinch from a greasy muddahf*@kah like you!

How 'bout if I spell it out for ya. D-I-L-L-I-G-A-F

#40 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:40 AM

I was a highly skilled assassin working for the CIA in a small third world country...

Some guy named Jason Bourne was just here looking for you.

Good buddy of mine. We were gonna have lunch, did ya see which way he went?
By the way, now that you know who I am......... :mfrlol:
when it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight, call the Marines.

#41 InconJenOnWheels

InconJenOnWheels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L-1 Paraplegic

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

A drunk driver crashed into my driver's side door when I was in an intersection.

#42 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:40 AM

A drunk driver crashed into my driver's side door when I was in an intersection.

AH, but MARIJUANA'S illegal. A heinous narcotic for hippies and other vermin.
Wouldn't be surprised if the driver was a polititian or a priest or what have you.
e

#43 GettingTired2

GettingTired2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C2VentDependent/Wife

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

My husband, Jack, was involved in a MVA on March 18, 2003. He was driving a loaded fuel oil truck, and a female driving a minivan crossed the center line & hit the truck, hard enough to rip one of the dual back tires off. As a result of the tire coming off, the truck went over onto the drivers side, skidded for about 50 feet, hit a tree stump, went airborne, and landed upside down in the ditch. He hung there for 45 minutes before being cut out of the seatbelt. And I guess I should mention that when they cut the seat belt, they dropped him, on his head.
At first, in the ER, he could lift his arms, but couldn't squeeze my hand. That was on Tuesday. He had two surgeries, one that night, one the next day, where they took bone pieces from his hip and put them in his neck, with metal plates. He was trached during the first surgery because he stopped breathing. On Friday, he was slowly losing the ability to raise his arms, and ended up back in surgery late that night. The swelling had gone above the level of injury, and he had a hematoma at C2, where a bone fragment had compromised the spinal cord. For several days after that, all he could was blink his eyes.
Compared to how he was after that last surgery, being able to talk now with the cuff deflated, and being able to eat, is a miracle!

#44 duff

duff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-C5

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:52 PM

Car accident.

Crossing the street with the right-a-way on my bike and a guy ran the red and hit me with his truck. With my friend behind me (he didn't get hit).
Once a Rocker, Always a Rocker!!

#45 rn_boy777

rn_boy777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 and 5 incomplete

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:51 AM

motorbike accident.....
where theres a will theres a way!!!!!

#46 Apparelyzed

Apparelyzed

The Boss!

• **Admin
  • 4,704 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6 Anterior Cord
  • Injury Date:02-01-1992

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

This thread has now been split to keep it on topic.

Please use This Thread to discuss the positive and negative effects of discussing details about the cause of your injury.

Further discussions posted in this Poll about the negative or positive impact of discussing your cause of injury will be split and moved to the above thread.

Regards

Simon

Posted Image   Posted Image
Follow the Apparelyzed Forum on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

#47 Sandra62

Sandra62

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 complete

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:52 PM

I had falled (prety nothing) at a gym. But it turned as T12 complete, it was 1995

#48 bensinjury

bensinjury

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:22 AM

MVA...Oct 07 2006 Fell asleep at the wheel, Broke L2 and cracked L1& L3 along with 8 broken ribs, right collapsed lung, left punctured Lung

#49 J-Wall

J-Wall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t10-t11

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

i was 15 y/o back in sept 24,06 had a motorcycle wreck going about 30 lost control due to wet roads hit a tree. broke my c4 but became paralyzed from brakeing t9-t10 also severed my liver broke my rib witch stabbed my left lung shatter my pelvis and broke my wrist. and well thats about all i can think of.
J-Wall

#50 pochyetnost11

pochyetnost11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Friend of C5/C6 Complete

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

My friend was shot twice, the second shot left him paralysed.
Love of Family, Love of Friendship, Love of Country - To Serve, Protect and Defend

#51 kimgilaby

kimgilaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 and T9/ Wife

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:39 AM

My husband fell 80 feet out of a tree at work, Broken back and collapesed lung thats it amazingly

#52 koivu1313

koivu1313

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1 incomplete

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

Riding my bike to work, and was hit by a car whose driver was in a hurry and didn't look properly before making a L-hand turn.

#53 hurbshankin

hurbshankin

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c-5/6 (6-24-07)

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:57 PM

Out on a beautiful Sunday enjoying a nice relaxing ride on my Ducati, that is until some knot-head decided to pull out in front of me. He freaked when he saw me and decided to park in front of me. Well, you can't stop a motorcycle from 55 mph in 50 ft. I went into his driver side door head first. Crushed C5/6, crushed windpipe, wicked concussion, two broken ribs, crushed all the metacarpels in left hand, just about severed the left hand off. I think that's all. No fun!!!

Hurb :cheers:

"Being is not enough, we must do; knowing is not enough, we must apply"
L. DaVinci

www.mastercraftwoodproducts.i8.com - pre-accident

#54 ParaforGod

ParaforGod

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:31 PM

Ultra Light Plane crash. My husband and I fell 250ft. doing 80mph when we hit the ground. I was broken from head to toes. My right leg was nearly amputated at the scene, it lacerated the artery and it clotted. That itself is a mircle. I had a total of 15 surgeries in 3 weeks. It killed my husband, we had been married only 6wks. It left me a T4 para and my right leg is amputated.

#55 Zammo

Zammo

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

I had the shits! Couldn't shake it for three weeks. Eventually walked into my local hospital to hook me onto a saline IV because I was so dehydrated. Over the next 24 hours my body went numb from my toes up to my chest. Tranverse Myelitis they called it.

#56 dolly

dolly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6 incomplete

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

I had a diving accident in august 06 when i was 18

#57 jetski

jetski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:quadriparesis

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

I was a Vietnam vet, but came back from Southeast Asia with no problems, until 1995. Something started going wrong with my hands. I was told I had ALS but some years later I was getting worse, losing the ability to walk.
Then everything got real bad and that's when they found I had a tumor that had crushed my spinal cord at the c-7 through the t-1 and t-2. The tumor was the type other Vietnam vets were getting from agent orange. It is called a schamonma The military said it was a free gift from Southeast Asia.

Now I am an incomplete t-1, t-2 walking quad.

Bill of Illinois

#58 PetitMortVampyre

PetitMortVampyre

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:friend of C4-5 male.

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:22 PM

My friend Mike was in a VW van, at the age of 13, the van flipped approx 3 times... and the rest is history. He is 52 years old now. sadly we are not as close as we used to be, cause our lives went in different directions after our schedules didn't allow us to date.

Of all the words, of tongue or pen, the saddest, are these: "what might have been".

#59 E-DOG

E-DOG

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:57 AM

I had the shits! Couldn't shake it for three weeks. Eventually walked into my local hospital to hook me onto a saline IV because I was so dehydrated. Over the next 24 hours my body went numb from my toes up to my chest. Tranverse Myelitis they called it.

Teach you to shit so much! :wink05:
E-dog

#60 jetski

jetski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:quadriparesis

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

The result of my SCI came about from a tour in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam conflict. Many years after I returned to the states I slowly developed a tumor(unknown to me and the doctors). The tumor was called a Schamnoma, and grew around my spinal cord at p[oints T-1 & 2, finally crushing my spinal cord to the thickness of a ribbon.

By the time the doctors located the problem, I was completely paralized from the neck on down. I was given 24 hours to live.

They removed the tumor, I lived and now I fight to regain some use of my body.

From what I have seen so far, I think I am the only T-1 & 2 here

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.