Photo
- - - - -

What Kind Of Car Do You Drive?

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of car do you drive? (253 member(s) have cast votes)

If you drive, what do you drive?

1. Full Size Van with a lift/ramp (19 votes [7.48%])

Percentage of vote: 7.48%

2. Mini Van with a ramp (24 votes [9.45%])

Percentage of vote: 9.45%

3. Accessible Honda Element/PT Cruiser (8 votes [3.15%])

Percentage of vote: 3.15%

4. Regular car with hand controls (135 votes [53.15%])

Percentage of vote: 53.15%

5. Other (68 votes [26.77%])

Percentage of vote: 26.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Arryn

Arryn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t3

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

thanks =]
been looking into the motability scheme in the UK rather confused by the hole thing but ill get there =p
"Make a wish and place it in your heart...
Anything you want everything you want...
Do you have it...Good...
Now believe it can come true...
You never know where the next miracle is gonna come from...
The next smile... The next wish come true...

#62 russ1

russ1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T2 complete
  • Injury Date:16-03-2003

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

Urrgh - pet peeve of mine - Can't stand hand controls that just look like a bit of mecano bolted on by the work experience guy. Compare the Bakker controls with those in my Car here

volvo2.jpg

Post with lots more detail here
Russ - T2complete

#63 Texaswheelz

Texaswheelz

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6/7 Complete 19 years

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:28 AM

Just started driving this recently, got it cheap and with the back row of seats out I can keep my tennis and BB chair in here and not have to switch em out. I'll get a picture of my hand controls and damn do they suck!

mine.jpg

#64 tmcph

tmcph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c 5/6 complete

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:01 AM

here's my baby

vanz.jpg

#65 fatdave

fatdave

Intermediate Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L5/S1 cauda equina

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:57 AM

Not mine, but looks exactly the same, even the bird poop and missing trim...

335,xxx miles, second engine, this time a Mustang GT motor, 3rd transmission...glass packs and a working A/C and mine has a moon roof. Trunks big enough to hold 4 mexicans or 5 dead bodies....smells like it has at one point.

I miss my old truck now :(

oh, and paid roughly $200 for it. :wink:

Attached Thumbnails

• lincoln.jpg

Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard
US author (1856 - 1915)

#66 shoafy

shoafy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-8/married

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:58 AM

As I was driving around with hubby in my accessible Honda Element, I started to wonder what every one drives on this forum. I used to drive a regular car (loved my Toyota Prius) with hand controls but the accessible Honda just made more sense for hubby & me.

So, what do you drive? A little explanation after you vote might be nice as well. :(

i drive a gmc sierra with hand controls, also have drivin my girls ford fouces with a stick to hit the pedals!!!

Edited by shoafy, 15 May 2009 - 09:44 AM.

shoafy

#67 CR_L1

CR_L1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L1 L2 L5 S1 incomp

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

Is anyone as miffed as me about the narrow choice of automatics with nil deposit that don't take up your *entire* mobility DLA componant just now?

you bet I am, it's a joke at the moment a handful of tiny auto cars & anything you want in manual "CRAZY"
when I was looking I could get 2.0 TDI Vectra Nil deposit but would have to shell out 1350.00 for automatic.
So I,ve stuck to running me old merc 560 SEL what else can I do with wife three kids & a wheelchair.
I am probably depriving a village of an idiot
I use to be indecisive but Im not so sure anymore

#68 BenjaminLucas

BenjaminLucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5/6 Complete

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:22 AM

I'm getting a Ford Focus soon! :P

Zirconium Pants.

#69 allister

allister

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4 Complete

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:30 AM

had Kia Sportage CRDX past 3yrs on motability (also tow large caravan)
just got Citreon GrandC4 VTR+ ". diesel (again motability) fitted with Brig 4point hoist for w/chair (Tows 25ft of caravan (1525kgs) with ease) average 36mpg solo and 25.4 towing.
loads of space - boot masive can get both w/chair and a small scooter in it, and still sit pax on rear seats

Edited by allister, 10 July 2009 - 06:31 AM.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#70 meadow

meadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12-L1

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:46 AM

A lifted truck :/
i dont drive it, not old enough.

#71 mcferguson

mcferguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T5/6 Complete
  • Injury Date:30-11-2008

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

I drive a Chevy Cobalt with hand controls. I like that the doors open almost perpendicular to the car, so it is easier to get the wheelchair dissassembled and into the car.
Future SCI Alumnus. Victory over the storm - Mark 4.39.
Ferguson Clan Motto: Dulcius Ex Asperis (Sweeter after difficulties)

#72 Wheelsonfire

Wheelsonfire

Members

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:d2 to d4 (Admin Note: Banned for acting the gobshite, one time too many)

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

BMW 520 diesel, bought it in April of 09 so it's coming up on it's 1st birthday, some machine to hit the road.
Seemingly, "support" is very "serious" and you should never have a thought of your own..... My Blog

#73 MxDisasterGrl

MxDisasterGrl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Shattered T12/incomplete

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

i've seen some pretty sweet rides on here!!! I think some of you guys who drive the BMWs and Mercedes benz are overseas. Aren't they cheaper over there?? Just curious..

I drive my lil 2-door. I love it, so much space. My bf has a shelby GT-500 that's been modified that i also drive. I can drive a stick w/ no prob!!! So no hand controls and no stipulations!! But i am looking to get a SUV for kids and even more space purposes. I also need something to hall the bikes, and other things around.
GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!!

#74 Wheelsonfire

Wheelsonfire

Members

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:d2 to d4 (Admin Note: Banned for acting the gobshite, one time too many)

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

i've seen some pretty sweet rides on here!!! I think some of you guys who drive the BMWs and Mercedes benz are overseas. Aren't they cheaper over there?? Just curious..

I drive my lil 2-door. I love it, so much space. My bf has a shelby GT-500 that's been modified that i also drive. I can drive a stick w/ no prob!!! So no hand controls and no stipulations!! But i am looking to get a SUV for kids and even more space purposes. I also need something to hall the bikes, and other things around.

Cheaper? Doubt it, I paid 60,000 euro for my one.
Seemingly, "support" is very "serious" and you should never have a thought of your own..... My Blog

#75 MxDisasterGrl

MxDisasterGrl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Shattered T12/incomplete

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Cheaper? Doubt it, I paid 60,000 euro for my one.

Well, it depends on where exactly you live. Like aren't some made in Germany, japan, and so on, meaning that if they were made in the country that you are living in, they are cheaper. And i'm not sure what the exchange rate is between us. I don't have a clue how many euros it takes for dollars, or vice versa!

Edited by MxDisasterGrl, 20 January 2010 - 07:24 PM.

GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!!

#76 Wheelsonfire

Wheelsonfire

Members

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

Well, it depends on where exactly you live. Like aren't some made in Germany, japan, and so on, meaning that if they were made in the country that you are living in, they are cheaper. And i'm not sure what the exchange rate is between us. I don't have a clue how many euros it takes for dollars, or vice versa!

I'm in Ireland, the car isn't built in this country
60 k in euro is approx $85,000 - $90,000.
I get shafted on the trade in as I change every 2 years(always buying new-the dealer is the one who wins)

#77 jules

jules

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6
  • Injury Date:28-04-1992

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

Just got my new car, its a Volvo XC90 4x4, much to the amusement of everyone else, given that it is a huge car and I am 5'1" and 6 stone!

#78 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:l2/l3

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

Sod tin boxes

1300cc Hyabusa fun machine leaves em in my mirrors

#79 transverse100

transverse100

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-10

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

As I was driving around with hubby in my accessible Honda Element, I started to wonder what every one drives on this forum. I used to drive a regular car (loved my Toyota Prius) with hand controls but the accessible Honda just made more sense for hubby & me.

So, what do you drive? A little explanation after you vote might be nice as well. :crazy:

Karen; I did the vote,"Other" is the only one that applies. Just purchased my 3rd GMC Sierra 4X4, 2009 with leather and all the goodies. Why? Because I'm 6'5" and I don't have the ability to fold myself like a freshly ironed shirt to fit in a compact. But truly; I have done the 2 door thing 28 years ago, then two mini-vans which were bad choices altogether; trucks work well if they have suicide doors. Using KAFOs allows me to transfer from my chair to the seat with a small amount of effort, then pull my chair in behind the seat. Until you've done it and lived with 4X4 in the North East, you wouldn't have it any other way. Our other car is a 2008 Yukon, this allows our family of 4 to travel comfortably, even with both my chair and our daughters; theres room for the suitcases. Don't forget the hand controls that appear to be in your lap in a smaller car, even though the legs don't work, I'd like them to still be there after any collision. I might add that they both have Active Fuel Management, which at cruising speed turns your big V8 into a 4-cylinder!

#80 nitrosport_5

nitrosport_5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T9 - Incomplete
  • Injury Date:15-11-2003

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:01 AM

I drive a normal car with hand controls. I got one for the summer cruising and one for the harsh winter roads.

Summer Rig: 86 chevrolet Monte carlo ss. you can see the hand controls i use, they are the same in both rigs

P1010338.JPG

P1010328.JPG

94 chevrolet s10 4x4

0808091439.jpg

#81 ericr

ericr

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c5-c6 incomplete

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:11 AM

I just got my new car on sunday 2008 Infiniti g35 awd easy car to transfer in and out with bluetooth and power tilt and memory seats.
hand controls go in friday, cant wait!!

#82 COOL Mobility

COOL Mobility

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5-C6 quad/ Married

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:14 AM

76_1_b.jpg
I've driven SAAB 900 coupes for last 25 years but now, with current one being a SAAB 900 Turbo Aero (1991) in black. HandControls2.jpg
I have just bought an Audi A3 2005 with six speed tiptroinic Auto gearbox that I'll be fitting hand controls to once I sort out quotes.
OutFront.jpg

#83 Skrads

Skrads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10-12 Para

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

I currently drive a 2004 Holden Commodore Acclaim Stationwagon. Used to drive a BA Ford Ute before my SCI but bought the Holden because everyone told me in rehab I would need one for carrying all my chairs. Can't stand the thing now as I can't take it where we go camping so looking at buying a Holden Rodeo/Colorado 4X4 or Toyota Hilux 4X4.

I also ride a 2003 Yamaha 350cc quad bike. Was originally going to get a dirtbike but didn't want to have to rely on my mates all the time having to be there when I had to stop.

#84 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12
  • Injury Date:29-04-1990

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:04 AM

my vette, jimmy 4x4, dodge grand caravan w/vmi under floor ramp, and my harley i built..............

#85 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/T5
  • Injury Date:15-04-2007

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:50 AM

I have a 2010 Lexus Rx350,, it has EVERYTHING.. even the smart bright lights and turning headlights,. voice activation controls and so on.. I dont have to do a thing except hold the steering wheel and push the gas/brake.. I couldnt be happier with this suv.
Our Handicaps Exist Only In the Mind

#86 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12
  • Injury Date:29-04-1990

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

sweet...............

#87 Lol Hare

Lol Hare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c6/7 Complete
  • Injury Date:14-05-2003

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:16 AM

I'm a big Petrol-head,i use a PT Cruiser for everyday,but i have a 66 Caddy convertable,great in the summer and for shows,just like my Chevy Truck,i have another couple too but it's my hobby and passion which i think is a must have,anyone agree?

I just got the Caddy a Monarch hand control which has got to be the best i,ve found,way better than the UK stuff,i didnt know you could get them here? it's the same as my truck, i'd highly reccomend :ranting:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Lol Hare, 07 February 2010 - 06:39 AM.

Sometimes we are the windscreens,sometimes we're the flies...

#88 S&W Winger

S&W Winger

Advanced Member

• Closed Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-7 Com / C6,T3/4 Inc

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

Wow! Lots of great rides!! :specool:

I was just re-evaluated Tuesday, and instead of all the electronics,VMI, DigiDrive, whatever stuff, they wanted me to use, that now I can use regular hand controls!! Will have the van (Uplander with Braun Entervan conversion) I had recently acquired, fitted with the controls along with EZLock for my chair...

I must admit, I feel real envy toward those of you who are able to transfer!!! I'm Hoyer lift dependent...and have a beautiful silver Lincoln MarkLT 4X4 truck just sitting in my garage (for sale but no takers) that I can't drive... Posted Image

...YET??

...as I recently found out about (yet another dab of Hope and Inspiration for me!) this:

Truck conversions for wheelchair users

...so for now I'll be driving...until I'll be riding:

Posted Image

Retract A Trike ...two wheelers for me!

...would make my new Life complete (not bad dreaming for someone who can barely sit in her wheelchair for more than a few hours per day)...Posted Image

Beverly

"A wild patience has taken me this far..."

#89 twisted_ophelia

twisted_ophelia

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T7 incomplete

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

Nissan Xterra with just hand controls, no spinner knob. Full sized SUV perfect for anyone who tends to spend a lot of time driving on rougher terrain but also great in the city. Not so great on gas though. Gas guzzler!
Mimi Machine! Extreme Sports and Spinal Cord Injury Blog - http://mimimachine.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/twisted_ophelia

#90 adaptiveone

adaptiveone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t2

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:20 AM

I've got an 87 single cab chevy pickup...good to haul the boat. Just sold my jeep wrangler and bought a mustang gt...and my favorite ride is pictured!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0918.JPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.