Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Xanax For Nerve Pain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JOHNS421

JOHNS421

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10/11

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

I'M A T10/11 COMPLETE PARA AND HAVE HAD HORRIBLE NEUROPATHIC PAIN EVER SINCE I FELL 4 STORIES IN AUG OF LAST YEAR. MY WHOLE LIFE WAS NOTHING BUT PAIN UNTIL THIS PAST SEPTEMBER WHEN I STARTED TAKING XANAX AND THEN ALL OF THE SUDDEN I STARTED WORKING AGAIN...FULL TIME, AT LEAST 8 TO 9 HOURS A DAY. THEN I GOT PROMOTED BACK TO MANAGING OUR ATL OFFICE THAT I WAS DOING WHEN I FELL AND AM NOW WORKING 12 HOURS A DAY BUT WITHOUT THE XANAX I CAN'T GET OUT OF BED LONG ENOUGH TO TAKE A BATH B/C I'M IN SO MUCH PAIN. I ALSO TAKE A LOT OF STRONG NARCOTICS THAT ARE A JOKE FOR THE PAIN. THE XANAX DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT THE NARCOTICS BUT I CAN TELL THAT I'M TAKING TOO MUCH. I DEFINATELY WANT TO COME OFF ALL OF MY MEDICATIONS AND THE ONLY THING I'VE SEEN THAT MIGHT HELP IS TO HAVE MY SPINAL CORD CAUTERIZED WITH HEAT LEASION (SP). DOES ANYBODY KNOW MUCH ABOUT THAT? I'M AFRAID ALL THE MEDS ARE GOING TO KILL ME AND EVEN MY DR SAYS HE'S AFRAID THAT I'M GOING TO JUST STOP BREATHING AND THAT HE HAS NEVER HAD TO PRESCRIBE SO MUCH MEDICATION FOR A PATIENT BEFORE. HE DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE XANAX AND SAYS THAT THERE IS NO MEDICAL PROOF THAT IT WORKS FOR NEUROPATHIC PAIN. I WAS SCARED TO TELL HIM THAT I WAS LIVING PROOF THAT IT WORKS B/C HE'S ALREADY SCARED OF HOW MUCH I HAVE TO TAKE SO HE DOESN'T KNOW I'M TAKING IT. IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY DOCTOR MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A CRACK HEAD. I PRACTICALLY HAVE TO BEG FOR MY SAME PRESCRIPTIONS EVERY MONTH AND IT SUX SOOOO BAD B/C I'D GIVE ANYTHING TO NOT TO HAVE TO TAKE ANYTHING. I'D GIVE ANYTHING TO GET RID OF THIS PAIN WITHOUT MEDS AND I KNOW I HAVE TO FIND SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE IT GO AWAY OR THE DRUGS WILL KILL ME. I'D RATHER DIE BEING ACTIVE AND WORKING THAN LAY IN BED CRYING ALL DAY B/C I CAN'T EVEN GET UP...HAVING MY FAMILY WATCH THAT, MY 10 YEAR OLD SON WATCH THAT. I'D MUCH RATHER DIE BEING ACTIVE BUT I WANT TO LIVE A LOOOOONNNNNGGGG LIFE. I DON'T WANT TO DIE, I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO FUNCTION WITHOUT ALL THESE DRUGS. HAS ANYBODY ELSE EVER TRIED XANAX FOR NERVE PAIN? IF NOT, I WOULD DEFINATELY SAY IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE SO MUCH. I AM INDEPENDANT NOW, SUCCESSFULLY MANAGING A TRUCKING COMPANY, SUPPORTING A 10 YEAR OLD SON AND SOMETIMES I EVEN GET OUT AND HAVE A NICE DINNER OR MOVIE. MOST OF MY LIFE IS JUST WORK AND SLEEP. I HAVE TO TRAVEL EVERY OTHER WEEKEND FOR 3 HOURS ONE WAY TO SPEND MY WEEKEND WITH MY SON. IT'S VERY HARD BUT I'VE COME A LONG WAY SINCE AUG OF LAST YEAR BUT NONE OF THIS WOULD BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT TAKING THE XANAX. WHY IS THIS? THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON HERE AND TALKING ABOUT IT. I COULD SURE USE SOME ADVICE AND SOME FRIENDS LIKE CRAZY. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME. BRANDI

#2 Lucky

Lucky

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-5 incomplete. Walking.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:53 AM

Never heard of using Xanax as a nerve pain-killer.
It would probably loosen up your muscles and help with pain that way or work as a kind of placebo, making you feel better?
I'm not sure.
I think that 1mg of Xanax is equal to 10mg of Valium (Diazepam)
Good luck anyway!

C-5 Incomplete, Diving Accident in Mexico. Walking with crutches, In controlled pain !
Big respect to all SCI people !

#3 Motor

Motor

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T-6 para

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:37 AM

I'M A T10/11 COMPLETE PARA AND HAVE HAD HORRIBLE NEUROPATHIC PAIN EVER SINCE I FELL 4 STORIES IN AUG OF LAST YEAR. MY WHOLE LIFE WAS NOTHING BUT PAIN UNTIL THIS PAST SEPTEMBER WHEN I STARTED TAKING XANAX AND THEN ALL OF THE SUDDEN I STARTED WORKING AGAIN...FULL TIME, AT LEAST 8 TO 9 HOURS A DAY. THEN I GOT PROMOTED BACK TO MANAGING OUR ATL OFFICE THAT I WAS DOING WHEN I FELL AND AM NOW WORKING 12 HOURS A DAY BUT WITHOUT THE XANAX I CAN'T GET OUT OF BED LONG ENOUGH TO TAKE A BATH B/C I'M IN SO MUCH PAIN. I ALSO TAKE A LOT OF STRONG NARCOTICS THAT ARE A JOKE FOR THE PAIN. THE XANAX DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT THE NARCOTICS BUT I CAN TELL THAT I'M TAKING TOO MUCH. I DEFINATELY WANT TO COME OFF ALL OF MY MEDICATIONS AND THE ONLY THING I'VE SEEN THAT MIGHT HELP IS TO HAVE MY SPINAL CORD CAUTERIZED WITH HEAT LEASION (SP). DOES ANYBODY KNOW MUCH ABOUT THAT? I'M AFRAID ALL THE MEDS ARE GOING TO KILL ME AND EVEN MY DR SAYS HE'S AFRAID THAT I'M GOING TO JUST STOP BREATHING AND THAT HE HAS NEVER HAD TO PRESCRIBE SO MUCH MEDICATION FOR A PATIENT BEFORE. HE DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE XANAX AND SAYS THAT THERE IS NO MEDICAL PROOF THAT IT WORKS FOR NEUROPATHIC PAIN. I WAS SCARED TO TELL HIM THAT I WAS LIVING PROOF THAT IT WORKS B/C HE'S ALREADY SCARED OF HOW MUCH I HAVE TO TAKE SO HE DOESN'T KNOW I'M TAKING IT. IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY DOCTOR MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A CRACK HEAD. I PRACTICALLY HAVE TO BEG FOR MY SAME PRESCRIPTIONS EVERY MONTH AND IT SUX SOOOO BAD B/C I'D GIVE ANYTHING TO NOT TO HAVE TO TAKE ANYTHING. I'D GIVE ANYTHING TO GET RID OF THIS PAIN WITHOUT MEDS AND I KNOW I HAVE TO FIND SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE IT GO AWAY OR THE DRUGS WILL KILL ME. I'D RATHER DIE BEING ACTIVE AND WORKING THAN LAY IN BED CRYING ALL DAY B/C I CAN'T EVEN GET UP...HAVING MY FAMILY WATCH THAT, MY 10 YEAR OLD SON WATCH THAT. I'D MUCH RATHER DIE BEING ACTIVE BUT I WANT TO LIVE A LOOOOONNNNNGGGG LIFE. I DON'T WANT TO DIE, I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO FUNCTION WITHOUT ALL THESE DRUGS. HAS ANYBODY ELSE EVER TRIED XANAX FOR NERVE PAIN? IF NOT, I WOULD DEFINATELY SAY IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE SO MUCH. I AM INDEPENDANT NOW, SUCCESSFULLY MANAGING A TRUCKING COMPANY, SUPPORTING A 10 YEAR OLD SON AND SOMETIMES I EVEN GET OUT AND HAVE A NICE DINNER OR MOVIE. MOST OF MY LIFE IS JUST WORK AND SLEEP. I HAVE TO TRAVEL EVERY OTHER WEEKEND FOR 3 HOURS ONE WAY TO SPEND MY WEEKEND WITH MY SON. IT'S VERY HARD BUT I'VE COME A LONG WAY SINCE AUG OF LAST YEAR BUT NONE OF THIS WOULD BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT TAKING THE XANAX. WHY IS THIS? THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON HERE AND TALKING ABOUT IT. I COULD SURE USE SOME ADVICE AND SOME FRIENDS LIKE CRAZY. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME. BRANDI

Brandy,

Hi I'm Richie a T-6 incomplete para for 3 plus years now. I was a cop in NY on 9/11 so have been a xanax since then. I had to get off them cause I was always in a stuper. If it works for you then good. Be careful though much is mind over matter. I use percocet PRN and valium at night. Other then that I deal with some pain because I couldnot function in public so heavely medicated. Contact me anytime with comments or questions.

Richie aka Motor :H2kOther (26):
"CHEAP WOMAN AREN'T GOOD AND GOOD WOMAN AREN'T CHEAP"
"NEVER 4GET 9/11/01 THEY ARE GONE BUT NOT 4GOTTEN"
"I MUST CRAWL BEFORE I WALK (AGAIN)"
"LIVE EACH DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST"
"RIDE IT LIKE U STOLE IT"
Richie aka MOTOR :-)

#4 JOHNS421

JOHNS421

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:36 AM

Never heard of using Xanax as a nerve pain-killer.
It would probably loosen up your muscles and help with pain that way or work as a kind of placebo, making you feel better?
I'm not sure.
I think that 1mg of Xanax is equal to 10mg of Valium (Diazepam)
Good luck anyway!

I'm not sure how or why it works but what it looks like to me is that is actually calms the nerves. I've never taken Valium but I would think that any diazepam would work b/c if it is about calming the nerves then valium should work just as well. I already had really bad nerves b/4 the accident including 2 nervous breakdowns by the age of 26 and I took xanax up until the day of my accident and quit taking it at the hospital (not my idea of course:) and didn't take it again till 11 months later and I just immediately was able to go and do just like I used to but it does take a lot on the other hand I had a very high tolerance b/4 and took a lot...not quite that much but still so much that people couldn't understand how I functioned. I think it's got a lot to do with how bad you actually need it. Like if you take pain meds and you're not hurting then it messes you up but if you're hurting then it goes straight to the pain. No one, including family and people at work can tell at all by the way I act or talk that I even take any meds. I never feel messed up, slur my words, pass out, stagger or anything like that. I rarely tell people b/c I feel so judged and they freak out at that amount of meds. I can guarantee to you if you gave me placebo I wouln't get up out of bed! I can get away with less but still in a lot of pain. If I take 1 mg at a time it doesn't touch it...I can't tell a difference at all. Anyway, I was just wanting some feed back and see if anyone else had tried it and NO ONE has! I also wanted to pass it on just incase there was someone else out there that it might help get them there life back too. I appreciate you writing me back and letting me know what you think...i wish I could get more feed back:( Thanks, Brandi

#5 JOHNS421

JOHNS421

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:49 AM

Brandy,

Hi I'm Richie a T-6 incomplete para for 3 plus years now. I was a cop in NY on 9/11 so have been a xanax since then. I had to get off them cause I was always in a stuper. If it works for you then good. Be careful though much is mind over matter. I use percocet PRN and valium at night. Other then that I deal with some pain because I couldnot function in public so heavely medicated. Contact me anytime with comments or questions.

Richie aka Motor :H2kOther (26):

Hey Richie, thank you for the feed back...seriously! For some insane reason it doesn't leave me in a stuper. Like I said b/4 I was able to move back to Atlanta and manage an office of 30 or so drivers and believe me you've got to be on your game to get that done daily! I really don't understand it either, no one can tell that I take anything...I function very well with everything I do. Compared to not being abe to get out of bed for months it's amazing to me and everyone around me that saw the immediate change. There are a lot of people on here that have found so many things that work for them and I haven't seen hardly anything (other than surgery) that I haven't tried but it didn't help at all. I really don't understand the "smoking pot" thing b/c it intensifies my pain horribly and I used like to smoke every now and again but I won't touch it now. It leaves me doubled over in pain! I guess to each his own and with me already having really bad nerves before the accident it makes a little since that it has just calmed my nerves down. I still deal with a lot of pain but it's so much less. Valium is a lot like Xanax also though and so it may help you more than u know. They are both Benzi drugs and I think any drug in that category would help with this type pain. Thanks again and best of luck to you. Brandi

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.