•  
  • Forum Help

Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
Don't forget to follow the latest spinal cord injury news articles on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted Image Posted Image

We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Bottom Of Feet Burning Or Feel Like Pins & Needles

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Motor

Motor

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T-6 para

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

HEY GUYS I'M A T-6 INCOMPLETE PARA AND I HAVE HAD DECENT RETURN TO MY LEG MOVEMENT RECENTLY. HOWEVER MY FEET AND LEGS NOW FEEL LIKE HERE ON FIRE NOW. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS AND IF SO WHAT IS IT? I HOPE ITS BECAUSE SOME NERVES ARE REGENERATING OR SOMETHING

:H2kOther (26):

Edited by Motor, 05 February 2008 - 07:59 AM.

"CHEAP WOMAN AREN'T GOOD AND GOOD WOMAN AREN'T CHEAP"
"NEVER 4GET 9/11/01 THEY ARE GONE BUT NOT 4GOTTEN"
"I MUST CRAWL BEFORE I WALK (AGAIN)"
"LIVE EACH DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST"
"RIDE IT LIKE U STOLE IT"
Richie aka MOTOR :-)

#2 Lucydog

Lucydog

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5, C6, T10-L1 incomplete

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:27 AM

I get this a lot, I think its one of the trials of being incomplete, whether it leads to anything useful, who knows. What causes it? Well I suppose if you thhink of the neural pathway like wiring, get a short circuit and signals go all over the place. Thats what I think anyway but Im sure someone can enlighten further. Irritates me a lot thought I must admit. I also get this thing which if youve ever been to a fair I feel like Im standing on something thats vibrating. :D

#3 smokymtn memories

smokymtn memories

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4-C6 L-4 Incomplete

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

I've had the constant burning since shortly after surgery. For me, it's 24/7, some days being worse than others. If it gets too uncomfortable, there are meds you can try.

I have been taking Gabapentin for over a year and still have some pretty bad days. My last appointment, he gave me Lyrica to try. It won't be a week until Thursday, at which time I'm calling and telling him it's not working. The last few daysnights have been a pip!

Hope yours does'nt get too bad, Motor. It's hard to say if it's a good thing or not. When I first told my neuro surgeon about the burning, he said my nerves were trying to heal, they're short-circuited and running amuck. Just great. He's still telling me the burning could stop, but I'm not as optomistic about it as I use to be.

#4 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

Yeah, I get it, too. It used to be on the outside of my legs and feet (little toe). Now it's down the back of my legs and in the middle of my feet (not little or big toe, but all those in between). Mine seem to last for about three months, and then it starts to fade and normal sensation starts to return.

Sometimes it keeps me up at night. But then, it seems like there's always something keeping me up.

I also get it in my butt. My doctor says that's pretty normal and most of the guys he's treated over the years usually complain about their butt burning.

Probably more information than you wanted, but I'd take it as a good sign.
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#5 emar1000

emar1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 Complete

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:35 AM

Yeah, I get it, too. It used to be on the outside of my legs and feet (little toe). Now it's down the back of my legs and in the middle of my feet (not little or big toe, but all those in between). Mine seem to last for about three months, and then it starts to fade and normal sensation starts to return.

Sometimes it keeps me up at night. But then, it seems like there's always something keeping me up.

I also get it in my butt. My doctor says that's pretty normal and most of the guys he's treated over the years usually complain about their butt burning.

Probably more information than you wanted, but I'd take it as a good sign.

Its not TMI. I get it in my butt and feet as well. Sometimes to the point i cant sit anymore. The only relief i get is to lay on my side. And i am a T6 Complete.
Keep your wheels on the ground

#6 jass1

jass1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 T11 T12

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:30 AM

yah i get the burning and vibration

#7 kewlcatkez

kewlcatkez

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:= T10- L1 incomplete

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hello,

I hear ya about the burning pain. There are many many theories as to why it occurs. Its a complex situation. Through my research, I have come across studies which:

* link chronic pain with Kiniesophobia and a situation whereby the body's pain receptors become overloaded and hyper sensitive, to such an extent that they are unable to lessen or switch off.

*Then there are theories that it is a "phantom" pain, much in the same way that an Amputee may experience hell pain in a limb which is no longer there.

*Then there is the theory that it is as a result of the Nerve impulses traveling down the Spinal cord and branching out into the nerve branches where it can ( ie above the site of injury) and then malfunctioning and causing 'sparking' at the point of the lesion. Some of these 'sparks' are able to get through in the reminants of the incomplete injury, of else the point below injury is trying its best to connect - and so actually imagines what it might feel like, but buggers it up!

*Then there are the ones mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Who knows what the true cause is? I just hope that it will somehow be defeated!!

Unfortunately, it is not just incomplete injuries who feel it, completes can too. Sometimes folks have it in one area, other times it can be widespread ( like Moi). It seems to be part of my pain picture- unfortunately. I have been a chair user ( I would say in a chair, but that makes me sound glued there!) for over 2.5 years and had/have had issues with daily dislocations and varying degrees of paralysis/parasthesia ( until that fateful day) and I have 4 or so different types of pain which are still very much there. However, I am not a straight forward case as I have a connective tissue disorder (ie the dislocations etc), and an underling pain fatigue condition related to this, as well as paralysis. All these may contribute to that "neuro" nerve pain, although they are all different types of pain. Who knows, maybe the collective bunch leads to overload neurologically?. (like I said above, Scientists DO actually think this may be the case with some people - a kind of over sensitization, which the body needs 'resetting' from).

Also, unfortunately, as I have already said, it is very possible to have several types of pain at the same time. I have pain from dislocations (multiple every day), pain which is nerve type, an underlying 'multi trauma' pain etc...

Here at Apparelyzed, Simon has constructed a huge section (Thanks Simon!) with pinned articles on pain. Just search for pain ( of the type you are wishing to focus on) in that section.

With regards to medicinal pain relief, some folks swear by "Pot" and other 'herbal' avenues, others look into mind training to get the mind to 'ignore' as far as possible the pain, others look into acupuncture, massage and Reiki. Some people try everything they can ( like me! lol)...

Looking at this from a Pharmaceutical point of view, there are a few things to consider:

As is sometimes the way, some drugs which are Primarily licensed for one use, can have a side effect of treating another. This is the case with anti convulsant meds ( ie Neurontin®, Lyrica®, Gabapentin® etc) which are utilized for their secondary use. In a nutshell, often by accident drugs licenced for one condition have been found to have a side effect which is positively affecting another.

Other groups which can be used to assist in the treatment of Neurological and bone pains are Antidepressants. Some scientists and Pain drs also have seen some positive feedback of alpha-2-adrenergic agonists. These include tizanidine (Zanaflex®) and clonidine (Catapres®). Dextromethorphan, which is basically a cough suppressant when used- under a drs advice, in much higher quantities is also useful for some types of Neuro pain.

Some of the "neuro" affecting drugs are limited to helping with certain pain situations. For example, Baclofen apparently is more effective ( as a pain reliever) in trigeminal neuralgia.

I have tried Gabapentin and Topamax and am about to take Lyrica (along with my opiates ) and may even try Zacin ( made out of the stuff Chillis are made out of and is meant to kill like crazy, but block pain receptors) we are just not sure if it will be that useful for Neuropathic pain, I tried extra hot Tiger balm and didn't help.... Unfortunately, like many others I have constant debilitating and gut wrenching, and all the verbs you can use pain. I actually have nerve, dislocations pain ( multiple, each day) and tendon and underlying other pains./..Its a wonder I can tell the different types, or that the drs can....

I hope that this helps in some way,

Take care,

K
Ex Nurse (med retired)
Connective tissue disorder & associated paralysis.

#8 Jsec64

Jsec64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Incomplete 8 Yrs T.M.

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

Hi Motor

Burning pain is nightmare to contend with so I sympathise with you and others who have described their anomolies to this pain criteria.
Having read many of the posts I regard it as a good sign - we can feel. I get burning in my feet and arse - lately its been pretty good but its comes on without warning like someone has a candle and running underneath my feet and in my bum.
I take 300mg of Gabapentin per day and its appears to be a case of put up with it for me - nice to know that I'm not the only one though.
Wish you well fella
John

#9 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:32 AM

I too get the burning pins & needles; and yes it does seem to be the curse of us incompletes. I know that part of it is that pain is the strongest signal, it's why they do a sternum rub on a person to try and bring them around. Our spinal cords are very much like the cords to a speaker.......only that static is picked up and sensed as pain. <---------(my Dr's explanation of it to me). All I know is it hurts like Hell and very often it drives me batty. About all I can suggest is trying to find a drug regimen that works for ya............ most likely a narcotic pain killer + muscle relaxer of some sort+ often an anti anxiety drug (relieve the pain BEFORE the pain gets too intense......easier to get it in the beginning then later when everything is firing off like New Years Eve fireworks display, relax the muscles to lessen spasms from further bugging the neuropathy, and the anti-anxiety is cuz the pins & needles 24/7 is enough to drive just about anyone insane).

I have gotten some help with the nerve pain from a TENS unit. Sometimes laying down with my feet elevated somewhat helps the tingling subside. For me it's TENS , pot , & a few Rx.

I don't know that the pins & needles are anything beneficial. If the pins & needles was going to turn into anything really "good" I think it'd happen probably somewhere in the 2-12mo mark (IMO). To me the wire with a short analogy makes the most sense.

Hope it gets better or at least you find some drugs that help you with it if it doesn't. B)
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#10 emar1000

emar1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6 Complete

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

I too get the burning pins & needles; and yes it does seem to be the curse of us incompletes. I know that part of it is that pain is the strongest signal, it's why they do a sternum rub on a person to try and bring them around. Our spinal cords are very much like the cords to a speaker.......only that static is picked up and sensed as pain. <---------(my Dr's explanation of it to me). All I know is it hurts like Hell and very often it drives me batty. About all I can suggest is trying to find a drug regimen that works for ya............ most likely a narcotic pain killer + muscle relaxer of some sort+ often an anti anxiety drug (relieve the pain BEFORE the pain gets too intense......easier to get it in the beginning then later when everything is firing off like New Years Eve fireworks display, relax the muscles to lessen spasms from further bugging the neuropathy, and the anti-anxiety is cuz the pins & needles 24/7 is enough to drive just about anyone insane).

I have gotten some help with the nerve pain from a TENS unit. Sometimes laying down with my feet elevated somewhat helps the tingling subside. For me it's TENS , pot , & a few Rx.

I don't know that the pins & needles are anything beneficial. If the pins & needles was going to turn into anything really "good" I think it'd happen probably somewhere in the 2-12mo mark (IMO). To me the wire with a short analogy makes the most sense.

Hope it gets better or at least you find some drugs that help you with it if it doesn't. :scooter:

I wouldn't really say curse of a incomplete because i am a t6 complete and get the same thing but mostly on my right side which is where most of my nerve pain is. If my right side felt like my left i would be doing great. But not so.
Keep your wheels on the ground

#11 wheeliebear75

wheeliebear75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L2 incomplete ASIA-D
  • Injury Date:04-28-1990

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hope it gets better or at least you find some drugs that help you with it if it doesn't. B)

I wouldn't really say curse of a incomplete because i am a t6 complete and get the same thing but mostly on my right side which is where most of my nerve pain is. If my right side felt like my left i would be doing great. But not so.

Sorry. :hug: I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. :wink05: I guess it would be more appropriate to say it's the curse of many of us and just leave it at that. :icecream: Sorry again. :wub:
*Enjoy every sunset, but be grateful for every dawn.*
*Wheelchairs are made of a special ocular magnetic alloy......they're "eyeball magnets".*
*I USE a wheelchair, that does NOT make ME a wheelchair!*

#12 Tom S

Tom S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T6/7

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

Another "butt burner" here - have been for 18 years and have noted the following points.

Occurs on alternate days.
Occurs (with attitude!!) on waking up from a daytime nap. (Needless to say I try hard not to nod off through the day)
Tried whacky-baccy once - made it much worse.
Getting out of bed soon as I wake helps as does setting the alarm early (say 5am) and getting stuck into my day.

So, it would seem to me that body rhythm (if there is such a thing) is a major factor in my case.

Another curious thing - About 18 months ago I found myself with a very over-active thyroid which persisted through 3 radio iodine treatments. During this period my butt-pain disappeared completely, only to return after my blood test showed a return to normal in thyroid activity.

The way I handle my "bad-ass-days" is just to do absorbing "stuff". Spending a half-hour prone on the bed helps me too when things get really fiery.

Edited by Tom S, 23 March 2008 - 05:49 PM.

#13 CudaGirl

CudaGirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/C6 Incomplete

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:43 AM

HEY-MOTOR,
I've had this kind of nerve pain for 4yrs. Besides the Gabapentin, I take Methadone. My doc. at the pain clinic talked me into trying a serious of 3 shots that he injects into my spinal cord just like an epideral, it's a combination of nerve blocker & steroids. We space them out over 2 month periods. The amount of time they last is different for everyone. It really improved my life, I went from taking 2000mg of Gabapentin 4x a day to 800 3x a day. Along with 10mg of Methadone for brake through pain when it starts getting unbearable. I also take meds for spasms so before adding it all together I was a rolling narcoleptic. This combo makes it so I'm not sleepy anymore! The doc said, the pain's caused because there's not a nerve connection anymore, but the brain is still sending the signal. That's why the shot helps some people, it interups the signal, it took some trial and error to find the right spot but it was worth it.

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.