26 replies to this topic

#1 macthefox

macthefox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:paraplegic

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

I am a permanent wheelchair user, generally travel alone, and have for more years than I care to remember struggled with the fact that there have been no wheelchair accessible toilet facilities on any airline.
I have made continual and repeated facility enquiries to airlines any other relevant enquiry points with no measurable success – ‘legislation does not cover aircraft and therefore no airline was prepared to address the need’.
We are told that new aircraft will now include this facility but no-one is available to define accessible toilet facilities. There are currently one or two adapted aircraft but no guarantee that they will be the ones used for your flight.
But
I have just travelled with Singapore airlines – 4 journeys and when researching was assured that they had addressed wheelchair accessibility and there was no problem. True to their word the toilets were totally accessible – a greatly improved aisle chair wheeled straight into the toilet, close the door yourself, transfer one side onto toilet and from the chair conveniently wash your hands. Simple grab rails and built in alarm if needed. So easy and if you need a carer - room for them too – just.
The airline staff, without exception was totally relaxed and supportive and nothing was too much trouble – I was actively encouraged to ask for their assistance in using the facilities etc. and the whole exercise went without embarrassment or fuss.

Singapore airlines assure me that they have similar provision on their planes in general..
Can I ask that whoever reads this -----------
tells everyone they can think of to spread the word as far and as quickly as possible so that many can actually open up new horizons after so many years and perhaps this will encourage other airlines to move forwards more quickly.
all to support this airline by using it whenever it could be an option irrespective of any disability need - they deserve it and you won’t be disappointed’.

If you find any alternative airlines can you let me?

Mac McDougall

#2 hanguk

hanguk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T11 complete

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

I also travel alone and need wheelchair accessible bathrooms on the plane for long trips. I flew Singapore Airline once. It was just as you say. On other airlines (United, Korean Air). they let me use the bathroom in the 1st class or business section - it's bigger. But still requires some gymnastics to get onto the toilet.

#3 The D

The D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10 Para
  • Injury Date:26-12-2002

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:50 AM

Singapore Airlines are great. I have travelled with them many times and they are the BEST airline in my opinion.

#4 ems

ems

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

I travel quite a bit too and even long haul ie UK to Thailand, I've never used any on board facilities, and prob never will. I put in an indwelling catheter and have it draining into a bag for the journey.

But it is good news that they are finally trying to do something about it.

Edited by ems, 17 February 2009 - 09:18 AM.

#5 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Head, T6 incomplete

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

Good to know about this, and I'll definitely spread the word. I've found no accessible restrooms on trans-Atlantic airlines, and of course, there's none on any of the short-hop European airlines.

Once, when traveling from Tampa to Gatwick with an airline that British Airways had sub-contracted to cover the route, I was informed that there was no aisle chair, and the flight attendants were not insured to help me get to the restroom. The head flight attendant suggested that as it was only an 8-hour flight, I could use my diaper... except I don't wear one, and even if I did, excuse me? Hell no.

On American Airlines, they always make sure to tell me that they are only obliged to bring me to the door of the restroom, no farther. If I need help in the restroom, I need someone with me.

There are a few issues in terms of accessibility and airlines.

#6 Ches

Ches

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T4/T5
  • Injury Date:15-04-2007

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

That is great to hear. I hate wearing indwelling caths. Too much fuss. Id rather spend an hour trying to pull up my pants on an airline commode than have to deal with the complications of traveling with an indwelling, plus like Ive said before sometimes I just sit on the potty just to get some pressure off my tailbone..

I hope more airlines catch on the trend.

Edited by Ches, 17 February 2009 - 06:17 PM.

Our Handicaps Exist Only In the Mind

#7 outkastsl

outkastsl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t7/t8 complete para

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

On American Airlines, they always make sure to tell me that they are only obliged to bring me to the door of the restroom, no farther. If I need help in the restroom, I need someone with me.

I just booked a flight with American Airlines and have a question. From what I read in your response, they have an isle chair and they roll you to the bathroom, but no in it? Just wanted clarification so that I'm prepared when my wife and I fly to Hawaii.
adaptivesportsforums.com/

#8 Travelling Blackbird

Travelling Blackbird

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Head, T6 incomplete

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

I just booked a flight with American Airlines and have a question. From what I read in your response, they have an isle chair and they roll you to the bathroom, but no in it? Just wanted clarification so that I'm prepared when my wife and I fly to Hawaii.

You're right: the flight attendants will wheel you to the restroom door, but not inside. They are not insured to carry you, so they will not assist you out of the aisle chair and onto the toilet.

On every American Airlines flight that I have been on, they have had an aisle chair: I assume it is standard, but it is best to call them in advance and have them add the information that you are a wheelchair user to your booking. If you don't, there's the possibility of delays and problems at the airport, or that they might not take the aisle chair.

#9 freewheeler

freewheeler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:polio victim

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

I also travel alone and need wheelchair accessible bathrooms on the plane for long trips. I flew Singapore Airline once. It was just as you say. On other airlines (United, Korean Air). they let me use the bathroom in the 1st class or business section - it's bigger. But still requires some gymnastics to get onto the toilet.

My sister is planning to travel to US to stay with me for a few days. The flight is of over 20 hours. She was avoiding the travel as it is not possible to use the toilets in airplanes as they are too small to accommodate wheelchair. I am indeed excited to know that Singapore Airlines have wheelchair accessible toilets. As someone who has experienced this, I thought I would request you to let me have some more information. I have seen "wheelchair accessible" toilets in some airplanes. All that they have is a wide door . but they are too small for the wheelchair to enter. Are the toilets in Singapore Airlines big enough so that she can enter with the wheelchair?

Thanks in advance for the information

#10 macthefox

macthefox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

My sister is planning to travel to US to stay with me for a few days. The flight is of over 20 hours. She was avoiding the travel as it is not possible to use the toilets in airplanes as they are too small to accommodate wheelchair. I am indeed excited to know that Singapore Airlines have wheelchair accessible toilets. As someone who has experienced this, I thought I would request you to let me have some more information. I have seen "wheelchair accessible" toilets in some airplanes. All that they have is a wide door . but they are too small for the wheelchair to enter. Are the toilets in Singapore Airlines big enough so that she can enter with the wheelchair?

Thanks in advance for the information

I am currently in South Africa and have had to travel from UK to Singapore - Singapore to Johanasburg and then to local airport but it works - double the distance but accessible toilets on both main flights and the internal flights are only one or two hours.
Accessible toilets mean that they transfer you onto an isle chair - push you to the toilet - reverse the chair into the toilet so that you are beside the toilet at a compatable height and the other side of the chair is a wash hand basin. They then close the door and you can transfer sideways to loo - then back again to chair (which has locked wheels) and then wash your hands etc. There is then a buzzer to call staff or you can open the door yourself and they will then take you back to your seat
If you cannot transfer then you would need your own helper although in my experience they have always offered to help although I don't need it.
Nothing is too much trouble and I cannot recommend them too strongly - it requires minimal extra space and I cannot understand why other airlines do not do the same
It allows me to travel almost anywhere
If you find anything better or have a problem please talk to me Mac

#11 fozzylou

fozzylou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C4 Incomplete

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

I am a permanent wheelchair user, generally travel alone, and have for more years than I care to remember struggled with the fact that there have been no wheelchair accessible toilet facilities on any airline.
I have made continual and repeated facility enquiries to airlines any other relevant enquiry points with no measurable success – ‘legislation does not cover aircraft and therefore no airline was prepared to address the need’.
We are told that new aircraft will now include this facility but no-one is available to define accessible toilet facilities. There are currently one or two adapted aircraft but no guarantee that they will be the ones used for your flight.
But
I have just travelled with Singapore airlines – 4 journeys and when researching was assured that they had addressed wheelchair accessibility and there was no problem. True to their word the toilets were totally accessible – a greatly improved aisle chair wheeled straight into the toilet, close the door yourself, transfer one side onto toilet and from the chair conveniently wash your hands. Simple grab rails and built in alarm if needed. So easy and if you need a carer - room for them too – just.
The airline staff, without exception was totally relaxed and supportive and nothing was too much trouble – I was actively encouraged to ask for their assistance in using the facilities etc. and the whole exercise went without embarrassment or fuss.

Singapore airlines assure me that they have similar provision on their planes in general..
tells everyone they can think of to spread the word as far and as quickly as possible so that many can actually open up new horizons after so many years and perhaps this will encourage other airlines to move forwards more quickly.
all to support this airline by using it whenever it could be an option irrespective of any disability need - they deserve it and you won’t be disappointed’.

Mac McDougall

did you fly on the new A380 Airbus. If so can you tell me the best seats to get. I'm flying to Australia in November on this plane. Singapore Airline have said there are no dedicated seats for people with impaired mobility which i find strange as all the other airlines i've used have seated me as near to the exits but not the window seats.

#12 macthefox

macthefox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

But

Mac McDougall

did you fly on the new A380 Airbus. If so can you tell me the best seats to get. I'm flying to Australia in November on this plane. Singapore Airline have said there are no dedicated seats for people with impaired mobility which i find strange as all the other airlines i've used have seated me as near to the exits but not the window seats.

Sorry about the delay but I am travelling and cannot often access internet for long
I agree that the allocation of seats is somewhat inconsistant - the logic on the A380 seems to be that all aisle seats now have raising armrests so apart from distance from seat to toilet there seems no minuses wherever you sit apart from people having to climb over you if you have an aisle seat on either side of the plane - I often find tha he seat next to me then is left empty. - in the middle span they can exit from either side. I always find the flight staff will listen to your points and try to accomodate your ideas where possible. It is moving the right way but very slowly

#13 macthefox

macthefox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:32 AM

But

Mac McDougall

It is extremely disappointing when older plains are not remodeled to be considered accessible. It makes one wonder if it is possible to have mobile, portable and interchangeable stalls for jets. It's not a great example but we recently rented a Portable Toilet Trailer in Dallas for my daughters wedding which had 2 standard stalls and an attached ADA compliant/accessible restroom...

The problem is not that it is difficult or expensive to make modify and make provision on all international flights it is purely the will of the airlines to do it - legislation does not say that they have to provide, other than new planes, therefore they are not prepared to make provision unless they are compelled to under legisdlation. The provision is so simple and cheap - fly Singapore airlines and look - you will be embarrassed that the 'civilised ' world has this type of problem. The airlines will confirm to you that they will not do because they do not have to. I am currently staying in Vietnam and the plane to here had full facilities. There are no facilities for me to fly to America etc -- what does that tell you?

#14 KarenFerguson

KarenFerguson

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L3-L4 married to a C5

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:42 AM

Perhaps I'm just being a bit dim, but who has their chair with them on the plane? Every time I've flown, my chair is always whisked away and stored with the luggage. I actually held my bladder (I have complete bowel and bladder) for about 12 hours on a plane trip from China - I know, I know, I should have gotten them to bring the damn isle chair ... or at least crawled my way to the bathroom. So, what's really the point of a wheelchair accessible plane bathroom when we don't have our chairs with us? I've never tried it, but I'm assuming others transfer to the toilet from the isle chair, then have the stewardess take the isle chair out and then finally, you lean over and lock the door from the toilet? That's what I would do. Hmm, yeah ... probably being a bit dim ... :suicide:

Hubby's website: www.basketcasecomix.com
Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....ly.ferguson.585

#15 chickadee

chickadee

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:L4/L5 Cauda Equina

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:47 AM

I'm a bit of a plane nerd here... but folks will want to keep an eye out for the Boeing 'Dreamliner' (787). From my understanding, should the airline choose to set the plane up as ADA-compliant, the new planes should have awesome new restrooms. These planes will be great for American and Trans-Atlantic trips, along with medium-haul trips, due to size, gas-efficiency, and weight. These planes should eventually thin out the older planes that are common in USA-based carriers' livery.

One things folks need to remember is how long it takes for an airplane to be designed. This plane has been in design phase for FOREVER - Airbus went the big huge beast route with the A380, and Boeing with the smaller but more efficient 787. Also, the A380 was delayed loads of times before it was released - same as the Dreamliner. But know, folks, that change is coming. Of course, to bring up the smidge of cynic in me, methinks it's to get the increasingly aging population to West Palm Beach every winter without issue.

Anyway, this is an awesome site with details: http://www.usatechgu...787-dreamliner/

As for the super long-hauls (usually from Europe to Asia/Australia), it's not just Singapore Airlines anymore - Qantas and Emirates is also in on the game, with more being added as the aircraft roll out. You can keep an eye here with the A380 Wikipedia article.

Something to look forward to! :suicide:

Edited by chickadee, 20 August 2009 - 04:02 AM.

I am a palm tree - I bend, but do not break, in the winds and storms.

#16 macthefox

macthefox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'm a bit of a plane nerd here... but folks will want to keep an eye out for the Boeing 'Dreamliner' (787). From my understanding, should the airline choose to set the plane up as ADA-compliant, the new planes should have awesome new restrooms. These planes will be great for American and Trans-Atlantic trips, along with medium-haul trips, due to size, gas-efficiency, and weight. These planes should eventually thin out the older planes that are common in USA-based carriers' livery.

One things folks need to remember is how long it takes for an airplane to be designed. This plane has been in design phase for FOREVER - Airbus went the big huge beast route with the A380, and Boeing with the smaller but more efficient 787. Also, the A380 was delayed loads of times before it was released - same as the Dreamliner. But know, folks, that change is coming. Of course, to bring up the smidge of cynic in me, methinks it's to get the increasingly aging population to West Palm Beach every winter without issue.

Anyway, this is an awesome site with details: http://www.usatechgu...787-dreamliner/

As for the super long-hauls (usually from Europe to Asia/Australia), it's not just Singapore Airlines anymore - Qantas and Emirates is also in on the game, with more being added as the aircraft roll out. You can keep an eye here with the A380 Wikipedia article.

Something to look forward to! :hug:

Yes - on the face of it other airlines are 'in on the game', but occasional planes with no guarantee of any plane at any time and neither of these airlines coulds accomodate me this year and guarantee that toilet access would be available - infact they declined a booking. It will improve, hopefully in the not too distant future and once again if anyone has any good news re other airlines please let us know. I am currently living in Vietnam and travelled here with full facilities c/o Singapore and Vietnam airlines. Can travel to Asia but not America ............. what can I say

#17 macthefox

macthefox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

Perhaps I'm just being a bit dim, but who has their chair with them on the plane? Every time I've flown, my chair is always whisked away and stored with the luggage. I actually held my bladder (I have complete bowel and bladder) for about 12 hours on a plane trip from China - I know, I know, I should have gotten them to bring the damn isle chair ... or at least crawled my way to the bathroom. So, what's really the point of a wheelchair accessible plane bathroom when we don't have our chairs with us? I've never tried it, but I'm assuming others transfer to the toilet from the isle chair, then have the stewardess take the isle chair out and then finally, you lean over and lock the door from the toilet? That's what I would do. Hmm, yeah ... probably being a bit dim ... :)

Problem would be that your wheelchair would never pass down aisles and there are no facilities to safely stow chairs other than in the hold - and of course it often would involve several chairs.
Aisle chairs work perfectly well - you are located into the toilet sitting on the aisle chair and then either you or the staff lock the door - it is your choice who does it - the chair stays in there with you - you transfer onto the toilet - back onto the aisle chair - can then sit and wash your hands to the opposite side and when you have finished either open the door or press the call button. No embarrassment - little fuss and therefore you can travel without discomfort. I use this regularly. am no longer spritley but have no problems. Just smile and try it

#18 chickadee

chickadee

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Yes - on the face of it other airlines are 'in on the game', but occasional planes with no guarantee of any plane at any time and neither of these airlines coulds accomodate me this year and guarantee that toilet access would be available - infact they declined a booking. It will improve, hopefully in the not too distant future and once again if anyone has any good news re other airlines please let us know. I am currently living in Vietnam and travelled here with full facilities c/o Singapore and Vietnam airlines. Can travel to Asia but not America ............. what can I say

As far as USA-based airlines creating accessible planes, I'm sorry to say that they'll likely be the last ones to do so. Why? The amount of planes they would have to replace in their fleet, plus the lack of decent capital, will result in them being last in the game. You'll want to keep an eye on companies with decent capital, but an old fleet, to start purchasing the new planes. I'll be keeping an eye on Delta/Northwest, due to the fact that it's mostly local (Northwest owns 85% of the slots at MSP), but also because of the aging fleet. Don't look at carriers like Southwest to change anytime soon - they plan on keeping their fleet pure 737s. For them, it results in lower overall costs, but for us, we don't see the updated bathrooms or all aisle seat armrests folding up, that sort of thing.

The problem with the A380 is that there really isn't any American application as of yet - the only route I could see MAYBE getting this would be the JFK (or Newark)-LAX flight, simply for the amount of traffic. Airlines won't do this, though, because they'll put this plane on intercontinental flights first. And even still, the problem here would be the size of the airport, the runway, and the ability to process this many people. Short of that, this particular plane just will not work, and hence why so many USA carriers are holding out the majority of their orders for newer planes, such as the Dreamliner.

Change takes time. Lots and lots of time.

#19 Meadowlarkmark

Meadowlarkmark

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C-4-C-5 partial quad

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the info and Ill start spreading the word-and I agree US will comply last with access Its just what we do.

#20 Joy W.

Joy W.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Wife of T-7

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

Macthefox, I really appreciate this post. My husband and I have put off plane travel for fear of the unknown. Our two main worries have always been the restroom situation and wheelchair mishandling. Has Singapore Airlines always been gentle with your chair? I've heard some horror stories...

#21 chickadee

chickadee

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:11 PM

Macthefox, I really appreciate this post. My husband and I have put off plane travel for fear of the unknown. Our two main worries have always been the restroom situation and wheelchair mishandling. Has Singapore Airlines always been gentle with your chair? I've heard some horror stories...

Where are you flying from? And what kind of chair does your husband have (if electric, what kind of batteries)?

#22 macthefox

macthefox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

I have travelled for many years and almost continually for the last two years and the only damage was on one occasion I had a small dent in a push rim, I still have a small dent in the push rim (not with Singapore Airlines), and never any other damage. My chair is simply a self propelled job, the chair is always the last thing to be loaded into the hold and the first thing to be unloaded and brought to the plane. I have also travelled with my sports chair, in addition to my day chair, and had no problems and no additional cost. I cannot say that airlines never have a problem but Singapore has a good reputation to maintain, both regarding damaging or losing luggage, they have my entire confidence
I can only speak as I find but then I also have short flights with other airlines and have never had a problem there, either.
We only have one life - don't look back and say if only ............... travelling gives me yet another life - join me ........ Mac

#23 1heart4u

1heart4u

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10 complete

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

That is great to hear. I hate wearing indwelling caths. Too much fuss. Id rather spend an hour trying to pull up my pants on an airline commode than have to deal with the complications of traveling with an indwelling, plus like Ive said before sometimes I just sit on the potty just to get some pressure off my tailbone..

I hope more airlines catch on the trend.

Well I just learned that an indwelling catheter is a solution for long flights.
I had an indwelling cath when I was in rehab, and that was three years ago. What are complications of indwelling catheters. I don't recall any problems with my indwelling when I was in rehab. Can you tell me what complications to be aware of, please.
1heart4u

#24 1heart4u

1heart4u

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-10 complete

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Perhaps I'm just being a bit dim, but who has their chair with them on the plane? Every time I've flown, my chair is always whisked away and stored with the luggage. I actually held my bladder (I have complete bowel and bladder) for about 12 hours on a plane trip from China - I know, I know, I should have gotten them to bring the damn isle chair ... or at least crawled my way to the bathroom. So, what's really the point of a wheelchair accessible plane bathroom when we don't have our chairs with us? I've never tried it, but I'm assuming others transfer to the toilet from the isle chair, then have the stewardess take the isle chair out and then finally, you lean over and lock the door from the toilet? That's what I would do. Hmm, yeah ... probably being a bit dim ... :dancegirl:

I have actually had my chair put in the closet behind the cockpit. But even with my chair at that location, it would not fit between the isles.
The flights I have been on have NOT kept the isle chair on the plane, even though I was told they did, and they told me they could use the isle chair to get me to the bathroom. NOT NOT NOT. The isle chair was NOT on the plane and they would NOT help me to the bathroom, and they told me even if the isle chair was on the plane they could NOT get me to the bathroom. It was a short flight, but we were stuck on the the tarmack for two hours before the flight and two hours after the flight, I was first on and last off and after 8 hours on the plane they came to get me with the isle chair, and the airline seat was soaking wet and the flight attendant was totally disgusted with me. I was embarrased but explained to them I was told they had an isle chair and they could get me to the bathroom if I needed it. They told me that I misunderstood the reservations clerk, and I told them them it was not the reservations clerk that gave me the information, it was their customer service department. I was told I should not be traveling if I could not control myself. I told the flight attendent she better control her mouth!
You have a good point though, what is the point of a wheelchair assessible bathroom if we don't have our wheel chairs. Guess it might be better referred to as an ISLE CHAIR bathroom, which would be better than nothing at all.

What are your thoughts on complications with an indwelling catheter to travel?

#25 codakitty

codakitty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-6

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Well I just learned that an indwelling catheter is a solution for long flights.
I had an indwelling cath when I was in rehab, and that was three years ago. What are complications of indwelling catheters. I don't recall any problems with my indwelling when I was in rehab. Can you tell me what complications to be aware of, please.
1heart4u

the main complication of an indwelling is infection. i wore an indwelling for 8 years when i was first injured but have used IC for the last 21 years. i do put an indwelling in for certain things: air travel, going to be away from a bathroom for long periods of time/or going somewhere that i don't know is accessible. then i take it out as soon as i get home. if you can put your own in, sterile technique, it should be a minimal inconvenience. unfortunately, to go to australia i will most likely leave it in for the duration of three weeks. public restrooms are no go for me, and the majority of that time i will probably be staying in someone's home which is NOT accessible at all.

the only other thing i can think of is equiment (bags, catheter itself, tubing) leaking or getting twisted but just be aware of it and you'll probably be okay. of course, it's much more hassle for a man than it is for a woman.

#26 Skrads

Skrads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T10-12 Para

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

When I was in rehab, I heard a few stories from people who had gone on planes with no accessible bathrooms and have used indwelling catherters in their seat. They told me that the would reserve a window seat and ask if the seat beside them could be left vacant if possible, if travelling by themselves. They would take a couple of empty bottles, cover themselves with a blanket and empty themselves into the bottle. If they were by themselves they would place the bottles back in their bag or ask there associate/carer to take the bottle to the restroom and empty.

The first time I heard of this I was quite surprised but if you need to go, you do what you can. If anyone asks or has a problem, just explain to them what the deal is....

#27 davidw

davidw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:c1
  • Injury Date:03-03-2014

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

I am yet to decide about the flight, hope i take the right flight.

porta potty

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.