Welcome to the Apparelyzed Spinal Cord Injury and Cauda Equina Syndrome Support Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to Apparelyzed, an active and vibrant spinal cord injury and cauda equina syndrome support forum. Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of our spinal cord injury support community by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Talk to others in real time in the Chat Room
We look forward to welcoming you to our community and reading your contributions and questions.

Simon
Forum Administrator.

Photo
- - - - -

Walking After Sci

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Courtney20

Courtney20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T12 explosion

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:41 AM

I was in a serious car wreck 4 days after Christmas.. I hit a guard rail head on, went airborne, did a nose dive into the ground and flipped my car a couple of times. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and everyone that arrived at the scene said I should have been ejected and that I'm lucky to be alive.
The had to cut the top off my car to get me out and I was then airlifted to the major trauma center.
I noticed that I had alot of back pain and couldn't feel my legs.
They did x-rays at the hospital and found that I had a T12 burst fracture. It completely shattered, and I had bone fragments stuck in other parts of my spine. They said it didn't look good at all.
I was in surgery for 6hrs, and woke up the next day in ICU. Within 24hrs I did regain some sensation in my legs. I was in the hospital for 12 days and then was sent to a rehabilitaion hospital and spent 1 month doing PT everyday. I am now at home living with my parents again who took care of my daughter (4) and my son (7months) while I was gone. I am in a wheelchair and am learning to do more things everyday. My goal is to walk again, and it is so hard to not be able to do alot with my kids especially the baby.. Does anyone have any good words for me? Think I will be able to walk again on my own?? This is really depressing me!!! I'm only 20 years old I still have my whole life ahead of me...

#2 Motor

Motor

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Incomplete T-6 para

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:48 AM

I was in a serious car wreck 4 days after Christmas.. I hit a guard rail head on, went airborne, did a nose dive into the ground and flipped my car a couple of times. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and everyone that arrived at the scene said I should have been ejected and that I'm lucky to be alive.
The had to cut the top off my car to get me out and I was then airlifted to the major trauma center.
I noticed that I had alot of back pain and couldn't feel my legs.
They did x-rays at the hospital and found that I had a T12 burst fracture. It completely shattered, and I had bone fragments stuck in other parts of my spine. They said it didn't look good at all.
I was in surgery for 6hrs, and woke up the next day in ICU. Within 24hrs I did regain some sensation in my legs. I was in the hospital for 12 days and then was sent to a rehabilitaion hospital and spent 1 month doing PT everyday. I am now at home living with my parents again who took care of my daughter (4) and my son (7months) while I was gone. I am in a wheelchair and am learning to do more things everyday. My goal is to walk again, and it is so hard to not be able to do alot with my kids especially the baby.. Does anyone have any good words for me? Think I will be able to walk again on my own?? This is really depressing me!!! I'm only 20 years old I still have my whole life ahead of me...

Hang in there Courtney! Its get worse before it gets better. At least thats the way it was for me. It took me over 2 years to be able to stand and walk 30 feet and still not functional. However there is life in a chair. You are to early into your injury to think about that. Work hard and don't give up. I'm a T-6 incomplete para. Feel free to ask anything. Good luck and god bless.
:)
"CHEAP WOMAN AREN'T GOOD AND GOOD WOMAN AREN'T CHEAP"
"NEVER 4GET 9/11/01 THEY ARE GONE BUT NOT 4GOTTEN"
"I MUST CRAWL BEFORE I WALK (AGAIN)"
"LIVE EACH DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST"
"RIDE IT LIKE U STOLE IT"
Richie aka MOTOR :-)

#3 airart1

airart1

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:t-12
  • Injury Date:29-04-1990

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:36 AM

thats very true, i've been in a chair for 18 years and had successfull businesses, live in my own home and ride my harley in the summer, u will be only limited to what u limit yourself to...........god bless, dont give up therapy.......

#4 woodman

woodman

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C5/6

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:17 AM

Courtney,

Whatever you remember of your past life is not going to make your recover any easier.

You are a different person now, and you must learn how to deal with it.

The landscape of challenges in your life has changed and there will be a multitude of obsticals that will present themselves to you at the most inconvenient moments.

#5 Kwag_Myers

Kwag_Myers

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 Incomplete/CES
  • Injury Date:11-08-2007

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

I'm a T12 incomplete and was walking with a walker before I left rehab. I had bone pressing on my spinal cord, so probably not as severe.

Like Motor says, it takes time, a long time. Don't get discouraged over what you can't do, but encouraged by what you gain back. Keep up with the rehab, even if you have to do it on your own.

But for now, learn to live with what you have. This forum is full of people who have lost much more than I have, yet the have very full lives. If/when more of your motor function returns, it will be a blessing.
'Cause that's how I roll! Posted Image

#6 City Girl

City Girl

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12 INCOMPLETE, ASIA D

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:49 AM

Hi Courtney,

I am T12 incomplete. I fell 15 feet and completely crushed my spinal cord and smashed the T12 vertebra to smitherines. Fused from T10-L3. I was diagnosed complete and told that I would never walk again. I spent one month in the hospital and three months in rehab. I came home in a wheelchair. Today, however, I came home from physio with canes and I am making the transition from wheelchair to canes over the next...probably couple of months.

Will I ever walk like I did before my accident? I don't know, but I am going to try. I am NOT, however, living for a tomorrow that may never come. I live and enjoy every day. I have returned to work. I spend time with family and friends. I pursue hobbies. I live my life.

No one can tell you if you will walk again. Notwithstanding, you can try. Try, try, try with all your might...but don't stop living while you try. Live and enjoy each day. It is hard adjusting to being in a wheelchair at first, but it gets easier.

You should continue with physiotherapy. It doesn't seem like you had much time in the hospital or rehab considering your accident. Do your ROM (range of motion) exercises every day. If you have any flickers of muscle function, work with them and try to strengthen them. Healing takes a LONG time and no one can predict what you will recover, if anything. I keep a journal/log book of my gains. It helps me see how much more I am able to do from month to month. Visualization is also good. I read several books on the power of the mind and healing oneself from the mind into the body. Look after your body. Look after your mind. Look after your spirit. If you're religious, look after your soul.

Just because you are in a wheelchair doesn't mean you must stop living. So keep living.

Best,
City Girl
~ City Girl ~
Well-behaved women seldom make history.  Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976.
I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done. Lucille Ball

#7 Notwheels

Notwheels

• Closed Account
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:C3-7 Incomplete

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:41 AM

"Walk" with a walker or forearm crutches. Problem with the crutches is they make my arms and hands go numb. Legs collapse without warning and I go crashing to the ground. Trying to avoid a chair as long as I can. Doctor is afraid a chair is inevitable for me because I am deteriorating with a central cord syndrome injury.

Carolyn
Author, A Complete Plain-English Guide to Living With a Spinal Cord Injury: Valuable Information From a Survivor (iUniverse 2007). Available at online bookstores worldwide.

#8 jetski

jetski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:quadriparesis

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

Hi, Bill from Illinois here. I am a quad walker. I had my spinal cord crushed to the thickness of a ribbion and was given 24 hrs to live. This was caused by a tumor and was a result of agent orange, free gift from Vietnam.

I was told that I probably would not live through the operation, and if I did, I would live as a vegestable for the rest of my life.

I am T-1 & T-2, which caused me to lose the use of my arms and legs.

I wouldn't believe what they told me and found ways to fight back. that was 6 years ago. Today I do walk and I am working on getting the use of my hands back. My organs have come back and through the year I am making progress.

I am a born again Christian and so have a active prayer life as well.

Don't believe everything the doctors try to make you believe. If I had I would still be lying in bed starring out of the window wishing I could walk again. You can change your life.

Bill of Illinois
jetski@grics.net

#9 MzMc

MzMc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

I'm T12 injured May 07. The past 13 months have been very tough but I am learning how to live again. I walk with long leg braces and either walker or forearm crutches. It would probably be simpler to stay in the chair, but being on my feet feels so good it is worth the extra effort. I am alot more functional in the kitchen on my feet. The best advice I can give is to not let anyone, including yourself, set limitations on what you can do or how you should do it. My physical therapist was great in helping me work out methods for accomplishing things, although sometimes my methods made him turn pale!

#10 sits2much

sits2much

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T-4 Paraplegic Complete

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

I think it's all how you approach physical therapy and what goals you set for yourself as in life. I am currently working on walking with leg braces and I'm a T-4 incomplete para, and didn't get much back after my accident. It's been 2 years and I have had to work my butt off getting my upper body ready to take on the chore of supporting my weight but for me just standing and walking around with braces is enough for me..

A lot of it is mind set, SCI is very strange in respect to every one's outcome is different. I have seen two C-5 completes in rehab and well one walked out with forearm crutch's and the other relies completely on a chair. So try to think of it as a blank slate, you don't know where you will end up so don't give in and work hard!!!!! You may get what you want and walk again even if it's with leg braces!!

#11 Trinity

Trinity

2nd in Command!

• Moderators
  • 5,041 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T8 complete

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

I have seen two C-5 completes in rehab and well one walked out with forearm crutch's and the other relies completely on a chair.

Hmm, Im thinking maybe the one with crutches wasn't actually all that complete after all...

Memento Vivere
Memento Mori

#12 reaven85

reaven85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:Girlfriend/T8 Complete

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:36 AM

hey look in to projectwalk.com thats what im doing
Heaven - H + R = Reaven

#13 Dave Bishopstone

Dave Bishopstone

Intermediate Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Spinal Injury Level:T12/L1 / Parent

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hi,

My son had a burst fracture in the range T12/L1 and his injury was incomplete. Now a little over four years on he is able to walk with a single walking stick, which I suspect he will always need for balance purposes. He has a pronounced gait when he walks and has 'drop foot' which an orthotic device (SAFO) remedies to a great extent. It took about a year to get to the single stick stage, going from wheelchair, zimmer, 2 crutches, then one, then a single stick. He worked very hard and went to the gym a good deal to build up his lower muscle tone. Of course he can only walk moderate distances and would have to rely on the wheelchair for serious distance.

I wish you well, be patient with yourself!

Dave

Spinal Cord Injury & Cauda Equina Syndrome Support

This website is a way for those with spinal cord injuries and cauda equina syndrome to share experiences and advice. Any medical matters, treatments or alternative therapies discussed on this website should be thoroughly reviewed by a medical professional or therapist before being acted upon. Under no circumstances should you alter prescribed medication or a medical care plan without consulting your doctor or care plan supervisor first.